Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 99+ 6 speed swap coding

My Cars
    01 749iM/6 sporty

99+ 6 speed swap coding

This will hit the high points on coding a facelift to as close to a true manual car as possible. There are a couple of common theories that will be ignored.
    First wiring.
    1. The starter circuit
    2. reverse light circuit.
    3. clutch switch, for cruise control
    (as always check with WDS and physically on your car to see if everything is the same)
    Most of the wiring can also be found on CDH's thread http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d-Factoids-FAQ
    Starter.
    The starter relay is at the bottom of the Ebox under the DME. It's the green one. Remember disconnect the battery and do not turn the ignition if ANYTHING is still disconnected.
    originally the iginition switch sends power to the DME and the DME controls the starter relay with a ground on term 4. The EWS provides L2 12v power to term 8 of the starter relay. What we are going to do is cut the DME out of the process. The iggy will provide the L2 12v to term 8 and term 4 will just be grounded.
    wds 6speed 2 001.jpg

wds 6speed 3 001.jpg

Now the L2 power to the EWS has to be faked since the EGS is no longer there. UPDATE...This step is not needed!!!! see post #14

- - - Updated - - -

2. reverse lights.
    The reverse switch on the trans is a simple ground. For now I just have a wire run through the console and to the IKE, connect to Pin 25 on X10114.
    In the future I am going to use 2 wires from the range switch cable to the Ebox
    3. clutch switch for cruise control
    switch #61318381612 fits right in the the existing bracket. Its 3 wires, pin 1 is ground, pin 3 is switched 12v(UPDATE) attach pin 3 of the clutch switch to pin 1 (violet/yellow) on the brake light switch. This is how the true manual cars are tied in., and pin 2 goes to pin 23 on X60004 on the DME. (UPDATE) cut the wire from pin 8 on the EWS, attach pin 2 wire from the clutch switch to this wire. Then in the ebox take the (blue/black) wire that was cut from the starter relay and run that to pin23 on x60004.
    Last edited by 007008; 07-15-2017 at 06:56 PM.
    Trevor
    01 749i sporty, build 12/00 "Sports Barge",S62
    92 VW Corrado VR6,AAA
    81 Delorean,B28F
    81 VW Rabbit Pickup 1.8T,AWW
    03 VW Passat wagon 4.0 W8 6spd

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    I'm curious if you know for a fact that once you've coded the DME to manual that it no longer provides a switched ground on Pin 40 or not. If so, there is another option you could try that would keep high current from going through the ignition switch. If you wire terminal 15 power (I tapped into the wire from my IKE), which is like 5A to the wire that used to go to the starter relay pin 8 instead of coming from the EWS pin 8. Leave everything else the same. This is how the M5 wiring is and it works great on my S62 swap. I don't know if this works on the 540 manual or not, it all just depends on whether or not Pin 40 on the DME still provides switched ground.

If not, forget anything I just said.

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    01 749iM/6 sporty
    CODING>>>....The other fun part

Here is where we take some common theories and toss them right out the door.
    The sacred ZCS code...We are not even going to worry about it. It stays just as it is! The only thing to remember is in NCS NEVER hit "process car" with the ZCS or you will be going back and fixing things.
    For this you will need a working knowledge of NCS and WinKFP with E39 daten files loaded in. (there is plenty of info on these, so I won't go into the setup)
    BEFORE DOING ANY CODING.. Hook up at least a 10amp battery charger.
    Easy stuff first...
    NCS expert
    Go into the IKE you are looking for "GETRIEBE_TYP" should have "automatik_5_gang" change to "handschaltung" this will turn off the "PRND" and the "TRANS FAILSAFE" and the reverse lights will work.
    Next, DSC.
    The DSC gets a automatic trans CANBUS signal through the DME.
    In NCS pull up the DSC "CODIERWERT_DSC5.7" should say "wert_4" change it to "wert_17". Which is the setting for a manual M62b44TU 540.

Now the DME.
    First take the transmission computer out of the ebox grab a long nail and hammer and nail it to a wall or tree, cause its no longer needed.
    Fire up winKFP
    Go into "Comfort mode"
    Go to "Choose ZUSB"
    under ECU family select "EK726", then ZB-number scroll down to 7539302, then hit "OK" then "done"
    should look like this....
    6spd zusb.JPG
    Then hit "Program" But Before Make sure the battery is at full charge and the charger is on! the status bar should go to 100% twice and takes 20 minutes or so.
    And there you go you're done!, cycle the key, check and clear any codes. As long as the EGS stays nailed to the wall and is never reconnected the DME will remain as a manual. The ZCS's GM part is still a automatic code but the DME doesn't really care.
    Now the bad news.... If you have a 3.15 rear diff the cruise control will not work correctly. It will not stay set in 6th gear. 1-4th and it works fine. This is a trait shared with the 540 guys that have done a 3.15 diff swap.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by blackknight530i View Post
    I'm curious if you know for a fact that once you've coded the DME to manual that it no longer provides a switched ground on Pin 40 or not. If so, there is another option you could try that would keep high current from going through the ignition switch. If you wire terminal 15 power (I tapped into the wire from my IKE), which is like 5A to the wire that used to go to the starter relay pin 8 instead of coming from the EWS pin 8. Leave everything else the same. This is how the M5 wiring is and it works great on my S62 swap. I don't know if this works on the 540 manual or not, it all just depends on whether or not Pin 40 on the DME still provides switched ground.

If not, forget anything I just said.
    The power from the iggy is the same as it was, instead of telling the DME to run the starter it just turns the relay on. In WDS it shows the starter relay for the MSS52 and ME7.2 with automatic transmission. So based on that I don't know if manual 540's even have a relay.
    Last edited by 007008; 07-15-2017 at 06:58 PM.
    Trevor
    92 VW Corrado VR6,AAA
    81 Delorean,B28F

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Only way I know to check is to take a probe or multimeter touch one end to power and the other to the pin 40 and see if it shows voltage, or just use the continuity check on multimeter to see if ground is connected during starting procedure, but I would think a test light probe would show better while you're turning the ignition switch. We can test it tomorrow at Cars and Coffee if you want. I can bring a test light.

- - - Updated - - -

Trevor, can you remind me what I should be getting on the signal line going to the DME from the clutch pedal position switch? I got the new switch installed, and I connected it the way you mentioned above, but it's not working. The way you mentioned provides a switched ground going to the DME, but I keep thinking it should be a power signal. Let me know what you think.

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    01 749iM/6 sporty
    Her is the clutch switch for the 7.2
    wds 6 speed 001.jpg
    Paul, the MSS52 is different. Pin 2 goes to the "gear recognition switch" in the trans then to pin 20 in X60002.
    Last edited by 007008; 07-15-2017 at 06:45 PM.
    Trevor
    92 VW Corrado VR6,AAA
    81 Delorean,B28F

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Trevor, I'm aware of what the diagrams say. In actuality, they are identical other than the fact that the gear recognition switch is just inline with the clutch switch. I was just trying to make sure that what the computer was expecting is what it's getting. I did some checking and if I disconnect the x6011 connector, where the clutch switch goes and put 12V on one side of my multimeter and connect the other end to the pin in the X6011 car side, I get a switched ground coming from the clutch switch. Is that what you get on yours? I know that the gear recognition switch that goes to the DME from the clutch pedal switch is sending whatever I put on the clutch switch side. I did a continuity test from the gear recognition switch to 12V and when it is in a gear, it gets continuity. I know this should tell me the answer in that it's the DME providing the power and the clutch switch providing ground, but I still can't get cruise to set, nor can I turn on sport mode, both of which are disabled when there is a problem with this switch chain. The weird thing is, I should be getting a DME code for it not working, and I'm not.

Diagnosis

In the event of fault on one of the switches, the following fault is stored in the DME fault memory:

• 80 Power transmission switch series

This fault is registered if at least one of the following conditions is met:

• Clutch switch signal not detected
    • Gear detection switch signal not detected
    • Gear detection switch or clutch switch signal level implausible in relation to engine speed or vehicle road speed

In order to locate the fault, the following test module in the diagnosis program should be used:

• 805 Power transmission switch series

If power transmission faults are diagnosed, handling dynamics functions are shut down for safety reasons. In addition, cruise control is disabled.

-Paul

My Cars
    01 bmw 740il
    thanks for the wright up!

My Cars
    1997 BMW 740iL
    Does anybody know what all would be different on pre-facelift?

My Cars
    01 749iM/6 sporty
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet429 View Post
    Does anybody know what all would be different on pre-facelift?
    Read CDH's thread, linked up in post 1, prefacelift has a proper manual ZCS code available.
    Trevor
    92 VW Corrado VR6,AAA
    81 Delorean,B28F

My Cars
    E38, E36, Subraru
    Did you retain the soft start function?
    '01 740is 6sp
    '00 swapped subaru
    '90 964 C2

My Cars
    2x01 750, 01 740
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclistone View Post
    Did you retain the soft start function?
    I'd say no since a large part of this writeup involved removing the DME from the starter and making the key activate the starter directly.
    See my E38 parts for sale on eBay: click here!
    PM me here for a 5% discount on any of them!

My Cars
    E38, E36, Subraru
    That is what I expected but just wanted a confirmation.What is the purpose if the dme coding if you remove the trans failsafe error codes with the IKE coding?
    '01 740is 6sp
    '00 swapped subaru
    '90 964 C2

My Cars
    01 749iM/6 sporty
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclistone View Post
    That is what I expected but just wanted a confirmation.What is the purpose if the dme coding if you remove the trans failsafe error codes with the IKE coding?
    The DME and also the DSC are connected the the transmission computer via Canbus. The DME is looking for communication from the transmission, so it throws a SES.
    The IKE is not involved with DME/transmission data.
    Trevor
    92 VW Corrado VR6,AAA
    81 Delorean,B28F

My Cars
    01 749iM/6 sporty
    Today I decided to go back into the wiring and change a few things. Learned a few things....
    My reverse signal was just run up into the console then up to the IKE. I used the old range switch wire to get the reverse switch up to the DME. One wire goes to ground and the other goes to DME X60002 pin 2. Then out of DME X60004 pin19, that goes to IKE X10114 pin25. I wanted to repurpose the factory wiring by using Craigs suggestions, But I found out that my car does not have a gear indicator wire going between AGS and IKE. So I used the wire from pin18 on X70003. that goes to the shifter area, then had to extend it up the IKE. The gear info on a 99+ must come through the Bus system.
    Next change was a better clutch signal.
    I repurposed the old L2 wire from pin8 on the EWS ,this goes to the starter relay which has already been cut at the relay. Connect to pin23 on DME X60004.
    Also found out that the EWS doesn't need any L2 power
    In the trace file for the EWS the setting "PARK/NEUTRAL_EINGANG" is "nicht_aktiv" which is why I'm guessing the L2 is not needed.
    Trevor
    92 VW Corrado VR6,AAA
    81 Delorean,B28F

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Trevor, that is exactly how I have mine in my S62 swap. The only difference, as you know, is that mine goes through the gear recognition switch before going into the DME. Nice to know that we basically have the same wiring. I guess the only difference now is that you have the starter relay wired to the ignition switch instead of pin 40 on the DME.

So, does this allow you to use cruise control yet?

-Paul

My Cars
    01 749iM/6 sporty
    The cruise is still wonky because of the speed pulse input to the DME being wrong.
    Trevor
    92 VW Corrado VR6,AAA
    81 Delorean,B28F

My Cars
    01 749iM/6 sporty
    Added a word to the wise before any programming begins and updated a couple of things to the clutch switch to make it easier and more correct.
    Trevor
    92 VW Corrado VR6,AAA
    81 Delorean,B28F

Jaaap is offline ☀ ☁ ☂ ☃ ☏ ☠ ☢ ☣ ♕ ♫ ✂
    My Cars
    Alpina B10 e39 / F3
    This is awesome info. Thanks for taking the time to write this down.

My Cars
    2000 740i Sport, 69 GTO
    Damn. Hoping to get the cruise to work on my 2000 sport.
    1969 GTO Warwick Blue/Parchment
    2000 740i Sport 6 speed

My Cars
    1996 BMW 750il
    This thread scared me.

My Cars
    01 749iM/6 sporty
    I've made a few adjustments to make things easier. Less solder joints.

The above is the same except for removing the wire (pin 40) from X60004 then connecting to a ground. Instead of cutting it down near the relay.

The two L2 blue/BLACK wires that run from the trans computer to the EWS and back to the starter relay can be repurposed as the clutch switch signal and the reverse signal.
    At the EWS cut the wire at pin 6 add a length of wire up to the IKE an add to X10114 pin25 on the back of the IKE. In the E-box remove from X70003 (blue trans plug) and install in X60004 pin19.
    At EWS cut the wire at pin8 and connect to the clutch switch, pin 2 of the switch. In the E-box (this is the wire that was cut from the starter relay) add wire and install into X60004 pin23.

These connections for the clutch switch are how the E39 is done only at a different internal junction.
    Clutch switch pin1 splice to brake light switch pin2 (ground)
    Clutch switch pin2 connect to blue/white wire cut from EWS pin8 (signal)
    Clutch switch pin3 splice to brake light switch pin1 (12+)

The auto range switch cable has 5 wires in it, pick 2 doesn't matter which. Remove the 5 wires from the trans blue plug X70004. Pick a color and install in X60002 pin2. Pick another color and ground it.
    Now under the car connect the one you added X60002 to terminal 1 on the reverse switch, the grounded wire connects to terminal 2.
    Last edited by 007008; 06-24-2017 at 06:38 PM.
    Trevor
    92 VW Corrado VR6,AAA
    81 Delorean,B28F

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Mad bimmer scientist!

My Cars
    01 749iM/6 sporty
    ATTN....Cruise control fixed
    I am fairly confident that a solution to the cruise control problem with sport cars or ones with a 3.15 diff has been found. The e39 guys called in TerraPhantm to help with the M5 cluster swap and while he was cracking the DME open he was also able to tweak the programming that controls the cruise.
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...threads)/page9
    Post number 213 has a Dropbox download of the modified ZB numbers. Most 99+ 740's that I know of are using ZB#7539302 since this is the latest program still using the LDP system.
    Of course flashing this modified ZB requires using Expert mode in WinKFP. TerraPhantm tells me the patch is also contained in the easier to flash BIN file. That is if you have a MPPS cable or BMWFlash.
    I flashed a 540Touring over the weekend but since the car has alot smaller tires than it should the fix didn't work quite as well, better just not perfect. I'm confident on a 740 the cruise will work.
    I pulled and saved the BIN file for the 302 ZB and can email if anyone wants it.
    You just need to make sure the clutch pedal switch is installed.
    Last edited by 007008; 02-22-2015 at 07:17 PM.
    Trevor
    92 VW Corrado VR6,AAA
    81 Delorean,B28F

My Cars
    2001 740i Sport
    Yes! This swap is looking much more enticing... Glad you are getting things figured out. I do use cruise control a lot so having that fixed is huge

My Cars
    2007 Alpina B7
    Why I wanted back on this board.. Guys here are mad scientists alright
    2000 740i Sport

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast