Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Blackknight530i’s 530i6 6-speed swap build thread

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S

Blackknight530i's 530i6 6-speed swap build thread

Hey guys,
    So I finally decided it was time to make a build thread for my 2003 530i Sport Premium. Like Redshift, I’m a bit late on doing it and it comes after a lot of the mods have been done, but since the biggest mods are yet to come, I figured I’d finally do this after owning the car for over 5 years.

I bought the car back in November 2010 with only 58k miles on it and it was in near perfect condition. The seller actually had to point out 3 tiny little dings on the passenger door that I know I wouldn’t have seen if he hadn’t. The car is Black Sapphire Metallic on black interior and originally came with the standard sport Vavona wood trim. The car came with a 3-ring binder full of all the receipts for parts and labor performed on the car since brand new. The first owner owned it from new to 50k miles and while it was under warranty, he got nearly anything that was bothering him addressed. This meant a full brake swap out with genuine parts at the dealership at 40k miles, front sway bar bushings at 43k miles, all inspections done on time, oil services done on time, etc. The second owner bought the car at 51k miles because he liked BMW motorcycles and wanted to see if he’d like the cars as well. He owned it for 7k miles and in that time replaced the battery and put a set of tires on, but otherwise didn’t really do anything to it. He kept up the records though, so I have pretty complete records on the car from day 1.
    Here’s some pics of when I got her:

One of the first big jobs I did on the car was to do the Beisan VANOS seals and valve cover gasket at 67k miles. I didn’t need to do much to the car until about 92k miles when the Torque Converter Clutch started giving me a P0740 code and wouldn’t lock up, so I did my first performance mod and bought a RevMax Stage 2 High Stall Torque Converter. The transmission has served me quite well since then and is only now getting pulled for no other reason than I want to row my own gears in this car.

One of the first appearance mods I did to the car was to swap the grilles for matte black ones from Umnitza. I also installed Umnitza AE LED bulbs at the same time as I just couldn’t stand the yellow. Not long after I ended up installing a Pioneer AVIC-F90BT double-din navigation head unit using the Janus Design bracket and bezel, which lasted me from 2011 all the way until a couple months ago in 2015.

The car got a full cooling system overhaul at 128k miles and the suspension overhaul was complete at about 150k miles, with the thrust arms being done at 127k miles. All parts were Lemforder, except for the Meyle HD thrust arm bushings. At 143k miles, I installed e60 hubs and wheel bearings and installed e65 Style 95 wheels painted gunmetal. I also installed a M5 rear sway bar to counteract the added understeer that came from putting such huge tires on the back

At 167k miles I got sick of the Sachs Sport “Advantage” struts that I had already installed on the car earlier and remove them to put Koni Sport Adjustables instead. This was a huge improvement in ride quality and performance. They also lowered the car about 1/4” or so that was welcome.

So, by this point, you’re probably wondering why I even created a build thread… and you’d be right. I didn’t create one for the simple reason that this is all basic stuff and doesn’t really warrant a whole thread. That’s why I’m finally doing some proper mods to the car.

The first major mod was doing the NBT retrofit:

I had already done the retrofit in my e38, but since the e39 is my daily driver, I wanted to do it in this one as well. These pictures show it in its temporary state. I have a buddy that is going to make me a bezel for the display and a new console piece with a cutout for the controller, but since I can’t fill the button holes with tech graphite, I’m going to need to find another set of trim that I don’t mind cutting up and then wrapping it all or painting it Aluminum Silver.

So, here's what she looks like now:

I need to take a few more pics after her next detailing, but they'll be posted here when I do that.

Now for the main mod this thread is about, the 6-speed swap. First of all, I’ll mention that I owe Stück a lot for coming up with the idea, following through and providing a pretty extensive buildlog on how to do a 6-speed swap in a 530i. That said, he used the GS6-37BZ 6-speed from a late e46/early e90, while I’m planning to use an e46 M3 transmission. The reason for this is because I plan to upgrade to a larger diff and axles, as well as use an off-the-shelf 540i6 driveshaft. The advantage to going this route is that there are no custom parts needed. Stück needed to make a custom transmission crossmember mount for his transmission and a hybrid driveshaft, which I realize isn’t that much work, but it’s work that I don’t have the time to do since I’ll be working on the swap 2.5 hours from home at Redshift’s Garage There will of course be the normal auto->manual swap stuff including pedals, shifter, clutch, flywheel, hydraulic lines, etc. For the shifter, I picked up a smoking deal at UUC for the Evo3 and DSSR (included for free) with a stainless steel clutch line and free shipping, all for the price of the Evo3 ($355). I also bought a M3 flywheel from Rock Auto for $290 shipped and a brand new LuK M3 clutch kit. I don’t like the ring on the LuK throwout bearing, so I am purchasing a brand new OE BMW throwout bearing instead. Pretty much all of the other parts for the swap are going to be brand new OE BMW parts from Morristown BMW in New Jersey. This includes brand new clutch master/slave cylinders, new brake pedal (manual), hydraulic lines, throwout bearing guide tube, shifter arm, ZHP shift knob, shift boot, M5 Center Support Bearing and Guibo.

The transmission is a 2002 SMG transmission with about 95k miles on it that I’ll be swapping the bellhousing with a 6MT bellhousing. The output shaft flange will hopefully be replaced with one from my cracked 540i 6MT transmission, so that I can use the 540i driveshaft. The nut and the shims are the same part numbers between the 540i and M3, so I’m hoping that goes well. The diff I’ll be using is a 3.15 open diff from a 2003 540iT M-Sport (guess who’s, LOL) and the axles that went with it.

You’re probably wondering why I’m doing all this “beefing up” on a lowly 530i. Well, it’s all in what the future holds for this car. The plan is to one day either ESS twin-screw supercharge the M54, or swap in a S54. With either of these options, the car will already be set up for it. With 202k miles on the M54, I expect it to last a long time, so I’m not in any kind of hurry to do the engine work, but the car will be a lot of fun in the meantime

More pictures of the swap will come as we do it. As many of you who know me are aware, I don't start projects like this and not finish them, so this will happen one way or the other.
    Last edited by blackknight530i; 01-12-2016 at 04:14 PM.

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;
    Nice. Love these transformations.
    gmak: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. A journey with my new-to-me 2000 540i

"Working on a BMW E39 is the best way to run out of time."

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    So, Redshift is picking up my transmission from our buddy in Maryland and he just sent me this picture of it packed up in his BeastWagon:

He is also bringing me back the brand new LuK M3 clutch kit. Thanks Brian!!! So cool of you to pick it up on your little last-minute trip

- - - Updated - - -

Don't worry, all the SMG stuff will be removed and hopefully sold for a good price.

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    Oh man this is going to be good! You guys are unstoppable on these awesome swap builds. I like the tranny idea now that I look at how your doing it. I should all just bolt up (hopefully!). Car looks like its in good shape for those miles! Did going turbo cross your mind?
    98 540i 6, 525 whp, 120 mph 1/4, V3 Si S/C'er @16 psi, W/A I/C, Water/Meth, Supersprint Headers, HJS Cats, 3" Custom Exhaust, UUC Twin Disc, Wavetrac LSD, GC Coil Overs, Monoball TA, AEM FP, Aeromotive FPR, AEM Failsafe AFR/Boost, Style 65's w/275's, M5 Steering Box, Eibach Sways, M3 Shifter, Evans Coolant, 85 Deg Stat, PWM Fan, 10" Subs, B.A. speakers, Grom Aux/BT, Still Rolling as my DD!

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    While you have the transmission out, swap out the compression spring for part number

For some reason the SMG transmissions come with a thinner one (1.25mm bs 1.40mm) which is more likely to break.

#9 here
    Last edited by TerraPhantm; 01-05-2016 at 12:22 PM.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
    While you have the transmission out, swap out the compression spring for part number

For some reason the SMG transmissions come with a thinner one (1.25mm bs 1.40mm) which is more likely to break.

#9 here
    Will do.

-Paul

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    How is that done without putting the gear recognition switch in?

-Paul

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    So, if anything goes wrong, it is Stuck's fault...

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason5driver View Post
    So, if anything goes wrong, it is Stuck's fault...
    HAHA, no, I wouldn't do that to him. I of course took everything he did and did something completely different. The only things shared are that we both have M54b30 engines, though his is of course a ZHP motor, so even that's not exactly the same. His car also started out as a 525i manual, so he didn't have to do any of the auto->manual swap stuff.

Another thing I'm future-proofing for is that the axles I'll be using are already 102mm flanges, which would mate perfectly to a M5 diff, which would only then require swapping the driveshaft to a M5 version.

-Paul

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by philly98540 View Post
    Oh man this is going to be good! You guys are unstoppable on these awesome swap builds. I like the tranny idea now that I look at how your doing it. I should all just bolt up (hopefully!). Car looks like its in good shape for those miles! Did going turbo cross your mind?
    The car is in great shape for the miles. I've kept the body/paint in really good condition and mechanically, it's practically new. I did a full suspension overhaul including every single bushing, control arm, tie rod, wheel bearing, strut, piece of rubber, except the subframe bushings and rear diff mount bushings. I did the cooling system overhaul with all OEM parts and have regularly changed the oil with M1 0W-40. It still purrs so softly at stoplights that you have to look at the tach to see that it's still running. The interior is still very good, but I also keep the car garaged and I've replaced the lower foam on the driver seat.

No, turbo never really entered my mind. I like across the board power gains and hate lag.

- - - Updated - - -

One other thing, I am not the pioneer on using the M3 transmission on the M54, just the first (at least I think I am) to document it fully on the forums. There was another guy that I think posted in Stuck's thread about using the M3 transmission, but I couldn't find any documentation of his build, nor could I even find the small discussion I had with him about it. He did say that he used the M5/540i manual trans crossmember and if that's the case, it should put the end of the trans in the same location as the 540i trans, which means I should be able to use the M5 or 540i driveshaft after swapping the output flange. I'll be taking measurements before pulling anything off my car though, just to make sure it's going to work. I'll also make sure the output flange swaps before going further. It wouldn't be the end of the project if it doesn't swap, but it would require lengthening my 530i auto driveshaft to work and keeping the diff and axles stock. The only other questionable thing I have to deal with is the slave cylinder line. I'm going to be using the M3 slave cylinder and the hardline that connects to it, but I'm not 100% if it's going to put the line where I want it. I don't have any idea if the M5 output shaft would work or not, so that's a bit of a question mark issue right now.

-Paul

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    I still have an extra pair of rear diff bushings which are probably the same for all E39 models. If you need it I can give it to you. I don't have the front diff bushing though.

- - - Updated - - -

Plus if you can get the subframe bushings I can lend you the tool for it.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by auaq View Post
    I still have an extra pair of rear diff bushings which are probably the same for all E39 models. If you need it I can give it to you. I don't have the front diff bushing though.

- - - Updated - - -

Plus if you can get the subframe bushings I can lend you the tool for it.
    I already did the front bushing, just not the rear. We don't have the tool for those though. I'll think about the subframe bushings, but we can do those later.

-Paul

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    I thought that the S54 and M54 have a slightly different bellhousing pattern and with that in mind I didn't think one could easily swap in that 420 G transmission, but now it seems like that's not true and it's actually possible. Nice.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    I thought that the S54 and M54 have a slightly different bellhousing pattern and with that in mind I didn't think one could easily swap in that 420 G transmission, but now it seems like that's not true and it's actually possible. Nice.
    The S54 has the same as the M54, but the M3 bellhousing is different than the 540i/M5 bellhousing, even though they both use a 420g transmission. You can't put a v8 420g on a m54/s54, and you can't put a M3 420g on a M62/S62. Make sense?

-Paul

My Cars
    e46 m3 6psd TIAG w/Imola
    On all of the Subaru forums its all about swapping for sti motors and the h6s, they are like giants legos. It's refreshing to see people test compatibility between chassis/motors on the BMW level. For such a 'complex' German brand, there's a lot of different routes you can take.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Oh, no. I know that's not possible between a V8 and an I6 for the 420G. I wasn't fully aware of the M54 and S54 pattern only. Can't remember when and where I read it that there was a slight difference between the two I6 engines and that being the reason why it was not possible, but I guess I was misinformed about it. This opens up great opportunity for us I6 guys (M52tu and M54, not sure about M52 engines) to use this transmission with all the necessary parts needed to make this swap happen. I think it would be fair to say that you are probably the first one to do this (maybe?).

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    All the "small block" I6s from the M20 all the way to the S54 have the same bellhousing. I think even the N-series motors have the same bell housing, but I've never checked.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Actually, regarding the V8 vs I6 thing, not unless if you swap the bell housing first and few other small things, then it would still be possible.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Actually, regarding the V8 vs I6 thing, not unless if you swap the bell housing first and few other small things, then it would still be possible.
    Input shaft is a different length and won't work without completely disassembling the transmission and swapping the input shaft from the other transmission. If you were going to go that far, you might as well just the other transmission.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, no. I know that's not possible between a V8 and an I6 for the 420G. I wasn't fully aware of the M54 and S54 pattern only. Can't remember when and where I read it that there was a slight difference between the two I6 engines and that being the reason why it was not possible, but I guess I was misinformed about it. This opens up great opportunity for us I6 guys (M52tu and M54, not sure about M52 engines) to use this transmission with all the necessary parts needed to make this swap happen. I think it would be fair to say that you are probably the first one to do this (maybe?).
    As I said, I'm not the first to do it, but possibly the first to document it (same as my S62 swap in the e38 ). The fact that many people have installed e46 M3 transmissions on S52 engines in e36s is why I'm 99.9% sure there isn't anything different between the bolt patterns. The 5-speed trans used on the e36 M3 was the same trans used on the 330i 5-speed, so they're the same.

Also, TerraPhantm just confirmed what I was saying.

-Paul

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    I see.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by sooch View Post
    On all of the Subaru forums its all about swapping for sti motors and the h6s, they are like giants legos. It's refreshing to see people test compatibility between chassis/motors on the BMW level. For such a 'complex' German brand, there's a lot of different routes you can take.
    For the most part, you can mix and match a lot with BMW, but there sometimes are subtle differences. Do a search for S54 swap 530i and you'll see our thread discussion on what would be required to do that. There are issues with the oil pan on that. With my S62 swap in the e38, I had to modify the cabin air box duct on the hood to clear the higher intake plenum. For the most part, the major mechanicals are interchangeable, but you may have clearance issues with other stuff.

-Paul

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Quote Originally Posted by blackknight530i View Post
    The fact that many people have installed e46 M3 transmissions on S52 engines in e36s is why I'm 99.9% sure there isn't anything different between the bolt patterns. The 5-speed trans used on the e36 M3 was the same trans used on the 330i 5-speed, so they're the same.

Also, TerraPhantm just confirmed what I was saying.
    You're right. I forgot about MaximumPSI guys that have used countless 420g transmissions on their Turbocharged S52 engines.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i/6
    Subscribed. I love OEM+ builds.

2001 BMW 560i 6.0 LSx/T56 SOLD

2000 Corvette Hardtop FRC

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by nsogiba View Post
    Subscribed. I love OEM+ builds.
    Good to have you here!

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I'm actually putting together a full parts list for this one

It will include all part numbers, quantities, links to specific parts and realoem diagrams, and realoem prices (I might update with actual ECS/FCP prices later on), whether new parts are required or used is ok, and any notes describing why the part is optional or not. I'll post it up here when I'm done so it's complete and I can say without a doubt what is required. It's all educated guesswork at this point.

-Paul

Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast