Bimmerforums Upgrade Garage The Tire Rack

Thread: fixing curb rash on my style 5's... can ANYONE help?

My Cars
    '04 M3, '03 Suburban

fixing curb rash on my style 5's... can ANYONE help?

my style 5's have minor curb rash on them and i have no $$$ right now to send them somewhere...does anyone know how i can fix this myself... i don't know if i can file the rash down and then smooth them out?...i took the clear coat and everything off already....can anyone please help me asap??

thanks
    2007 Tahoe- Daily
    2004 M3- Weekend car
    1995 M3- BMWCCA C-Mod

My Cars
    BRZ, S2000
    Depends how bad it is. If you are going to paint the lips, then you can use some type of body filler like Bondo or whatever. If you plain on polishing the lips, then your only option would be just sanding it as smooth as possible.

My Cars
    '04 M3, '03 Suburban
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanSerino View Post
    Depends how bad it is. If you are going to paint the lips, then you can use some type of body filler like Bondo or whatever. If you plain on polishing the lips, then your only option would be just sanding it as smooth as possible.

yea...thats what i'm going to do...they're aren't painted...the curb rash isn't bad so i'm just going to sand it down evenly...
    2007 Tahoe- Daily
    2004 M3- Weekend car
    1995 M3- BMWCCA C-Mod

My Cars
    91' M5
    sand um down, then give it a nice polished, im guessing you did take it apart right? if not you should, and give the bolts a nice polish while your at it too.

i had curb rash on all 4 of my style 5s,

this was the finished product...

My Cars
    '04 M3, '03 Suburban
    Quote Originally Posted by e34 life View Post
    sand um down, then give it a nice polished, im guessing you did take it apart right? if not you should, and give the bolts a nice polish while your at it too.

i had curb rash on all 4 of my style 5s,

this was the finished product...

Yea, i took them apart. I also got the centers powder coated a gunmetal color, and i polished the bolts....what did you sand the curb rash with?

BEFORE....

Now....
    2007 Tahoe- Daily
    2004 M3- Weekend car
    1995 M3- BMWCCA C-Mod

My Cars
    92' 525i, Land Rover Discovery
    Damn that looks good. I bet it took a while didnt it?

My Cars
    01 530i, Honda Ody

?

Are the bolts that hold the 2 pieces of the rims together reusable? What kind of socket is needed? Also? if I just want to polish me lips(style 19) how do i get the clear off and do I need to take the tires off?

01 530i "to borrow from 1 is plagiarism, to borrow from many is research"

My Cars
    '04 M3, '03 Suburban
    Quote Originally Posted by gray1g View Post
    Are the bolts that hold the 2 pieces of the rims together reusable? What kind of socket is needed? Also? if I just want to polish me lips(style 19) how do i get the clear off and do I need to take the tires off?
    Yes the bolts are reusable...you need a 10mm 12 point socket to take the nuts off, and then i used a breass punch to take out all the bolts.

As for the lips. you definetly need to take the tire off...and to strip the clear off use aircraft stripper or paint stripper. you can get it at like walmart, or home depot
    2007 Tahoe- Daily
    2004 M3- Weekend car
    1995 M3- BMWCCA C-Mod

My Cars
    01 530i, Honda Ody
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxpowrbmw View Post
    Yes the bolts are reusable...you need a 10mm 12 point socket to take the nuts off, and then i used a breass punch to take out all the bolts.

As for the lips. you definetly need to take the tire off...and to strip the clear off use aircraft stripper or paint stripper. you can get it at like walmart, or home depot
    Thanks for a quick reply. I saw on youtube someones BBS where leaking air from where the rivets are. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPVKLqybC_s
    Is this somethng to worry about?

01 530i "to borrow from 1 is plagiarism, to borrow from many is research"

My Cars
    '04 M3, '03 Suburban
    Quote Originally Posted by gray1g View Post
    Thanks for a quick reply. I saw on youtube someones BBS where leaking air from where the rivets are. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPVKLqybC_s
    Is this somethng to worry about?
    I don't know how that is possible considering that the bolts only hold the centers onto the lip...
    2007 Tahoe- Daily
    2004 M3- Weekend car
    1995 M3- BMWCCA C-Mod