Thread: Coupe 3rd brake light help, tried search

My Cars
    2002 BMW Z3 Coupe 3.0

Coupe 3rd brake light help, tried search

So I finally registered my coupe last Friday. I have until this Friday to get an inspection sticker, however it was noted to me, which i verified that my 3rd brake light does not work. I took the light assy. out and checked for power, none. Now, the harness ( a 2 wire bl/rt & brn) runs through the left side of the hatch which appears to maybe go inside the loom protected part of harness (small hole to be able to tell) down rear c pillar... before i start tearing apart interior, is there something common that i should look for? keep in mind, both tail brake lights work perfect. thanks very much for any help!

-Jovan

My Cars
    99 Z3 Coupe
    If either your rear wiper or rear defroster are also out, look for broken wires inside the rubber accordion boot, on the upper left inside of the hatch.

My Cars
    2002 BMW Z3 Coupe 3.0
    thank you, however rear wiper is functional. rear defroster however not sure cause dont have anything on window. where does the wiring route to though? is there a connector further upstream i can check? according to etm it says a splice, x181 i believe (not home cant verify thats correct)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R
    Total 3rd brake light newb here, but wouldn't the bulb(s) be the first thing to check?
    Last edited by BenFenner; 08-15-2013 at 09:37 AM.

My Cars
    2002 BMW Z3 Coupe 3.0
    its a strip of bulbs, and the light is functional, first thing i did was jump it to power. i actually just finished working on it, i know its not the right fix, but i routed a new power wire, soldered to left brake light and now its working perfectly.

My Cars
    00 M Coupe
    Now only if we could find a good source to get a new LED strip. I have about 5 lights out on my brake strip and id rather replace with leds but man that's a lot of soldering to replace them all and soldering circuit boards is not my strong suit

My Cars
    2002 BMW Z3 Coupe 3.0
    i actually realized after fixing that i have one out. im assuming they arent just pop 'em out pop in a new one bulbs? led would be nice, i saw an old topic regarding a buy for coupe ones, unsure if it formulated. i just didnt wanna get a reject inspect sticker thats why i kinda just bypassed the possible extensive troubleshooting