Thread: E60 - Failed new glow plug controller?

My Cars
    BMW E60 530d

E60 - Failed new glow plug controller?

Hi,

I have a slight cold starting issue. Symptoms below :-

- It takes a 3-5 secs longer than normal to start from cold, its fine when warm or even when started a fews hours after running.

- Cloud of blue smoke for 3-5 secs, again this does not happen when warm or left for a few hours.

- Appears to initially struggle to turn over when cold, again fine when warm or when left for a few hours.

Items replaced so far below :-

- New 90amp Varta battery to match the genuine BMW battery

- New BERU glow plugs

- New BERU glow plug control unit

A few months back at the start of winter i started to get these issues. I read the fault codes using DIS and it showed glow plugs and the control unit to be faulty, so i replaced these and the battery ( Reset the IBS) as my old battery would sometimes go completly flat when trying to start the car. However i am not convinced the new battery is much better as it still stuggles but does not go flat or fail to start the car.

Initially this did fix the problem with the starting issues but there was still a small puff of blue smoke on cold mornings. However more recently the puff of smoke has increased and the car seems to struggle a bit more but always starts but is lumpy for a few seconds.

I have read the fault codes again and all 6 glow plugs are showing at fault. Do you think my new control unit could be faulty?

Car is a 2004 E60 530d with 160,000 miles, regularly serviced and is spot on when started.

Sorry about the lengthy post just wanted to get all the detail in.

Thanks

Craig

Hello i am not a mechanic. By reading many forums i got an idea. Simple thing you have to check is relay. This is cheap and easy way for first troubleshooting.for e46, it can be done via swap horn relay with fuel relay.but once again,not a mechanic advice . cold start problem with this glow plug and relay how its related, don't know :-)

My Cars
    BME 60 M-Sport 520D
    Quote Originally Posted by heple View Post
    Hi,

I have a slight cold starting issue. Symptoms below :-

- It takes a 3-5 secs longer than normal to start from cold, its fine when warm or even when started a fews hours after running.

- Cloud of blue smoke for 3-5 secs, again this does not happen when warm or left for a few hours.

- Appears to initially struggle to turn over when cold, again fine when warm or when left for a few hours.

Items replaced so far below :-

- New 90amp Varta battery to match the genuine BMW battery

- New BERU glow plugs

- New BERU glow plug control unit

A few months back at the start of winter i started to get these issues. I read the fault codes using DIS and it showed glow plugs and the control unit to be faulty, so i replaced these and the battery ( Reset the IBS) as my old battery would sometimes go completly flat when trying to start the car. However i am not convinced the new battery is much better as it still stuggles but does not go flat or fail to start the car.

Initially this did fix the problem with the starting issues but there was still a small puff of blue smoke on cold mornings. However more recently the puff of smoke has increased and the car seems to struggle a bit more but always starts but is lumpy for a few seconds.

I have read the fault codes again and all 6 glow plugs are showing at fault. Do you think my new control unit could be faulty?

Car is a 2004 E60 530d with 160,000 miles, regularly serviced and is spot on when started.

Sorry about the lengthy post just wanted to get all the detail in.

Thanks

Craig
    Hy_did_you_get_your_problem_fixed?_My_car_is_the_s ame..._(Sorry_but_for_some)reason_spacebar_is_not_ working_on_this-website)