Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Headlight retro brackets Version 1.1

My Cars
    368, E86, 318ti, Raptor

Headlight retro brackets Version 1.1

I have been running my trap alot about lighting retrofits and wanting a way to do retrofits in a plug and play manner.

well here is version 1.1 of my prototypes....

Any ideas or thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Sky1Z3; 12-28-2011 at 03:26 PM.

My Cars
    2000 Z3; 1998 528i
    I'd like to see more!
    Hello. I like you.

My Cars
    368, E86, 318ti, Raptor
    Quote Originally Posted by janikphoto View Post
    I'd like to see more!
    Getting there... just working as time allows.

Any specific ideas?

My Cars
    02 e367, 08 Acura TL-S
    Looking good!

How would the projector mount? I know the PZ1 brackets had some issues, but one of the biggest was the projector had to "back" mount on the bracket to fit correctly. Any pics with the projector?

How thick is that? Seems to be a bit more than would be needed, but I'm certainly not an expert. I'm definitely interested to see how this goes... I'll probably buy a set if I can find a good solution for the high-beam too so I could continue to use the angel eyes.

My Cars
    368, E86, 318ti, Raptor
    Quote Originally Posted by lokijibber View Post
    Looking good!

How would the projector mount? I know the PZ1 brackets had some issues, but one of the biggest was the projector had to "back" mount on the bracket to fit correctly. Any pics with the projector?

How thick is that? Seems to be a bit more than would be needed, but I'm certainly not an expert. I'm definitely interested to see how this goes... I'll probably buy a set if I can find a good solution for the high-beam too so I could continue to use the angel eyes.

The projectors front mount to the two holes (one standard and one semi circular pattern) the semi ciruclar hole is what provides rotational adjustment for the cutoff. See pics below.

The brackets are .250 aluminum right now. I could go way thinner, but the added bulk makes it virtually bomb proof as far as shock or any other problem they would see in normal use short of collision.

The stock reflector with no bulbs or hardware weighs in at around 11oz. my brackets come in at 5oz without the projectors mounted. With them mounted with bulbs installed it is right around 24oz.

I have considered using .250 lexan to bring down material costs some though.

Now, please ignore the inner lens in these pics... this is my trashed one that i experiment on... obviously would not be used in my retrofit. I have 6-8 of them to use before the ones in my lights need to be used so.....

My Cars
    Z3M Coupe & Roadster
    looking good sky - I'll have to pay you to do Kaye's once we get her into a z

My Cars
    368, E86, 318ti, Raptor
    Quote Originally Posted by jajou318 View Post
    looking good sky - I'll have to pay you to do Kaye's once we get her into a z

Done! I happen to have an extra set of lights with her name on em

My Cars
    1999 BMW M Roadster
    So far so good! I really wasn't anticipating a front mounted bracket.

If I understand this correctly, the projector assembly itself is able to rotate? That would take care of the horizontal aiming... how about for the up/down aiming? Will the stock housing adjustments handle this?

Thanks,
    Jon

My Cars
    368, E86, 318ti, Raptor
    Yes, the bracket mounts using the stock hardware, thus retains stock aiming function. The rotational alignment is added by the bracket

My Cars
    2002 Smurf Hearse
    Looks great, Sky. Very professional and finished.
    jeremy [AT] coupecartel [DOT] com

1 of 1 | 2002 Laguna Seca Blue/Black M Coupe | LK61201
    "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.."

My Cars
    02 e367, 08 Acura TL-S
    I definitely like 'em!

So, how are you fixing it to the rear bracket of the light? Just screws into the plastic?

Does the bracket work it it was "flipped" to the high-beam side too?

Question for others who may have done a retrofit and used AEs.... what did you use for the high-beam (from a fixture standpoint). I'm wondering if I could pair the Hella high-beam with the TSX projector using these brackets. Would the shrouds and such from the PZ1 kit work with TSX projectors?

Sky, keep up the work! I'll do some research on what kind of setup I want, but these look to be what I'm after. I love the look of the PZ1, but the output is not so good. Would be nice to have the same asthetic look, but w/ better output (and decent adjustability).

My Cars
    368, E86, 318ti, Raptor
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    Looks great, Sky. Very professional and finished.
    Thanks Jeremy!

I went and picked up a sheet of .220 lexan. I will make a set from that, then do some overzealous shock and heat testing to see what they withstand.

Upon completion is this something people would be interested in? If so pm me.

This would turn a headlight retro into about 3 hours work instead of 10-12. Gotta love plug and play parts!

My Cars
    Z3 2.3, R1100RS, R90/6
    Great work on your brackets. 1/4" PVC sheet might work too. I will be watching as I would love to add HID Projecters but it's low on the priority list.

My Cars
    368, E86, 318ti, Raptor
    Quote Originally Posted by lokijibber View Post
    I definitely like 'em!

So, how are you fixing it to the rear bracket of the light? Just screws into the plastic?

Does the bracket work it it was "flipped" to the high-beam side too?

Question for others who may have done a retrofit and used AEs.... what did you use for the high-beam (from a fixture standpoint). I'm wondering if I could pair the Hella high-beam with the TSX projector using these brackets. Would the shrouds and such from the PZ1 kit work with TSX projectors?

Sky, keep up the work! I'll do some research on what kind of setup I want, but these look to be what I'm after. I love the look of the PZ1, but the output is not so good. Would be nice to have the same asthetic look, but w/ better output (and decent adjustability).

Im lost, rear bracket? there are no screws into the plastic. The factory ball sockets from the reflector screws into the brackets i made, pop out refelctor, transfer ball sockets, pop in new bracket--adjust. done.

Yes, the brackets are ambidextrous. Just flip them and mount the hardware on opposite sides.

These brackets are designed around the Fx-r Bixenon projector, so it functions as both high and low beams. There is no need to put anything in the high beam side except whatever i figure out to hide that there is nothing in there. I also have a few ideas up my sleeve Namely internal mounted ballasts.

Quote Originally Posted by MrTorque View Post
    Great work on your brackets. 1/4" PVC sheet might work too. I will be watching as I would love to add HID Projecters but it's low on the priority list.
    I had thought about that, but the heat deflection temp is significantly lower with PVC. its about 145degrees for pvc sheet and 270 for lexan. These are both from .125 thickness ratings so im sure they go up a bit with the added thickness, but Lexan is still the winner.
    Last edited by Sky1Z3; 12-28-2011 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Mscire2 is offline That one RS'd Coupe BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    02 ///M Coupe, E39, E36
    This is awesome keep up the great work on this. I may have to hold off on beating my head against the wall with trying to retrofit zkw projectors into my headlights.

My Cars
    368, E86, 318ti, Raptor
    Quote Originally Posted by Mscire2 View Post
    This is awesome keep up the great work on this. I may have to hold off on beating my head against the wall with trying to retrofit zkw projectors into my headlights.

Thanks! Im working dilligently on it! The goal is to have an end product that fits flawlessly and performs at or above expectations. I think I am right on course for that so far.

The FX-R produces a great output, with IMO the perfect blend of cutoff/color/output.... See below..

Z3speed4me is offline Coupe Cartel Forever! BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    MCoupe, Q3, Tiguan
    Once I see finished product 100% I might be interested.

~Ken~ '99 M coupe THE "original" TT Stage 3 - HTA3586R; 701 whp 672 wtq @ 26.5 psi ; NeverSell - CoupeCartel

My Cars
    368, E86, 318ti, Raptor
    Quote Originally Posted by Z3speed4me View Post
    Once I see finished product 100% I might be interested.
    As expected, don't worry I won't let ya down :-)

It may be a bit, as this first set is incorporating a ton of things. Retro brackets, internal ballast brackets, led array signals, potential led angel eyes, lens polishing, laminex, etc.

Question, would you guys rather see a fog light projector in the high beam area or internal mount ballasts?

My Cars
    97 Z3 2.8, 98 M Coupe
    Nice work, looking good

My Cars
    1999 BMW M Roadster
    Great work Sky, keep me on the list! This opens up the door a number of retro options..

My Cars
    RX-78-2, RX-93v
    Price on a fully done set of projectors? I probably wouldn't run anything other than the stock lights or a set of cheap HIDs.

And how hard would it be to do a yellow lens?

My Cars
    368, E86, 318ti, Raptor
    Quote Originally Posted by Amuro Ray View Post
    Price on a fully done set of projectors? I probably wouldn't run anything other than the stock lights or a set of cheap HIDs.

And how hard would it be to do a yellow lens?
    A stage 3 kit from TRS.com with FX-r projectors, ballasts, bulbs and wiring harness is 285. Although I am working with them on setting up a pretty healthy group buy discount.

Not sure what these brackets will cost. I plan to take the dxf file from my prototypes to the local waterjet shop and have a run cut out. The amount of interested parties and the cost of waterjet time/material will dictate the bracket costs.

That being said, I do not plan to offer retrofitting services. Just the bracket so you can DIY a set at a greatly reduced price than having someone do the labor in cutting reflectors, etc.

If people did not want to DIY the retrofit themselves, I would be willing to do some sets, but not a ton as I dont have the time really to work on other people's projects. Between the ZED and TC2 i am sure we could find someone willing to do the retro's based upon my brackets though.

A yellow inner lens would be simple, just buy and apply some tinted yellow laminex.

My Cars
    Z3M, X5M
    Wow that looks really good...Nice job!
    -Phil

My Cars
    N/A
    Would a non-bixenon fit in the same bracket? I'm not a fan of bixenons and would prefer to have separate high and low beams.

My Cars
    368, E86, 318ti, Raptor
    Quote Originally Posted by kobayashi View Post
    Would a non-bixenon fit in the same bracket? I'm not a fan of bixenons and would prefer to have separate high and low beams.
    These particular brackets no.... but i could make a bracket for any projector if inclined. The issue is, the entire reflector gets removed to utilize this bracket. So there would have to be additional engineering to utilize the stock high beam.

Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast