Thread: '02 s54 coupe for sale

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0i roadster

'02 s54 coupe for sale

What do you think of this s54 coupe for $42,000? It's surprising that this same company just sold an '06 e46 M3 convertable with fewer miles for only $17,500. Don't know about you but I find it hard to justify the MZ3 at that price over the e46 M3.

https://www.automotiverestorations.c...bmw-z3-m-coupe

My Cars
    z3
    Z is a collectible. E46 is still just a car

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    M Coupe sales usually always trump E46 M3 sales.

Where have you been the last decade?

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0i roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by s8ilver View Post
    M Coupe sales usually always trump E46 M3 sales.

Where have you been the last decade?
    I know M coupes have high valuations, but IMO ZMcoupes don't justify being that much more than an M3 that is newer and fewer miles. I guess it depends if your looking at rarity over performance.

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by pepz View Post
    I know M coupes have high valuations, but IMO ZMcoupes don't justify being that much more than an M3 that is newer and fewer miles. I guess it depends if your looking at rarity over performance.
    Of course rarity plays a role. 678 S54 M Coupes built for NA market vs. 26k+ coupes and 17.5k convertibles in the E46 M3 variety.

https://bmwmregistry.com/model_faq.php?id=19

IMO the E46 M3 is a better "car" but the M Coupe is a "better" car.
    Last edited by s8ilver; 12-05-2019 at 02:53 PM.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    Well, given the M Coupe market they'll probably get their $42k price, but whoever prepped (or didn't prep) the car interior scored a fail.
    The driver's seat desperately needs rejuvenation / conditioning, which any decent detailer could easily handle; the console scuff is a relatively easy fix, clean the steering wheel, and for the love of all that is M, replace those cheezy JC Whitney-ish floor mats (or at least vacuum 'em before taking photos)!

My Cars
    S54 e36/8; Tesla MY LR5
    the correct answer has already been given by s8ilver.

/thread

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    Definitely what Breaker said...it’s a full blown collectible. BUT I wouldn’t blame anyone for wanting to spend 42k on something else...yeah I said it. I mean for 42k you could really get something exotic.....

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by ZedsDead87 View Post
    Definitely what Breaker said...it’s a full blown collectible. BUT I wouldn’t blame anyone for wanting to spend 42k on something else...yeah I said it. I mean for 42k you could really get something exotic.....
    They made a lot more of most "exotics" than they made S54 M coupes though

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    I can’t argue that. They are achieving official “unicorn status”. I’d like to meet someone who bought one new and still has it. Now that’s a story. I’d like to see asking prices in say 2030. They definitely didn’t hit their ceiling yet.

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    I'm not a Coupe guy. I do not really get the styling but based on the rarity AND the one that recently went for close to $100,000 I think $42,000 sounds fair.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M-Roadster
    A "unicorn" status, in my opinion, is isolated to a very, very small segment of automotive enthusiasts that love these cars. The Z variants could very well become some of the coveted classic cars at some point, however.
    Tony
    "You can't sign away negligence."

My Cars
    N/A
    Not from new, but I bought my black s54mc in 2003 as a cpo with 4K mikes. It has 76k now.

I can’t argue that. They are achieving official “unicorn status”. I’d like to meet someone who bought one new and still has it. Now that’s a story. I’d like to see asking prices in say 2030. They definitely didn’t hit their ceiling yet.

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    That’s so awesome! When I was a younger someone in the neighborhood had a coupe, yellow, maybe 2000/2002 ish. I’ve seen only ONE since then. It was parked at a grocery store next to a close to new 911. I’d instantly choose the coupe. Definitely super cool stuff. I want to park my M Roady next to one, one day knowing THAT things on another level.......would you mind saying what you paid back then?? I doubt anyone knew they’d skyrocket back then. The coupe values remind me of the newer 1M or M1. But still for 42k to keep it in the Bimmer family a Z1 would be sick. Drop those doors.

My Cars
    99 Coupe Hell Yeah Red
    I think they are moving from "I want one because I love them." to "I want one because it's collectable and appreciating in value." This brings in a different buyer. I could be wrong, but I don't think that we will see the person that spent 100k on the forum asking how to fix his squeaky steering wheel because they are actually driving it like an enthusiast would. I kind of chuckle when watching these auctions and they say that this is a rare car because there were only 10k built. Wait, there were only 850 of my car built for 99. I think the collectors market drives the price up more than rarity.
    Last edited by Zoupe6; 12-06-2019 at 05:32 PM.

My Cars
    N/A
    Zed - iirc it was about $31k which was pretty healthy depreciation for a 2 year old cpo car that stickers for around $44k I think. Even then I was thinking I wanted this color or that color but this one popped up locally so I jumped on it. Even back then people were hunting around for them and they were hard to get unless you moved fast. It almost seems like more are trading hands now then back then. You’re thinking of the more recent 1M. Will be interesting to see how the holds up.

I need to look up how much a 1997/1998 c2s was back then and compare.

I’ll add that in the whole scheme of things having a car that hasn’t depreciated is better than a poke in the eye but when you account for maintenance, insurance, property tax, garaging it year after year, time value of money, inflation etc .... then it’s not exactly lucrative. I’d take it over just about any other car to use as a daily but from a collecting perspective it’s hard to justify unless you really love the car.
    Last edited by workhurts; 12-06-2019 at 05:49 PM.

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0/5 roadster
    That’s so awesome! When I was a younger someone in the neighborhood had a coupe, yellow, maybe 2000/2002 ish. I’ve seen only ONE since then. It was parked at a grocery store next to a close to new 911. I’d instantly choose the coupe. Definitely super cool stuff. I want to park my M Roady next to one, one day knowing THAT things on another level.......would you mind saying what you paid back then?? I doubt anyone knew they’d skyrocket back then. The coupe values remind me of the newer 1M or M1. But still for 42k to keep it in the Bimmer family a Z1 would be sick. Drop those doors.

My brother found this example in Germany a couple weeks ago.IMG_2590.jpg

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    Workhurts.... great post. I agree with all.

- - - Updated - - -

Dakar... Yes that thing is sweet. I’d love to experience that ride once.

My Cars
    E36M3/E46M3/E39M5/E63M6
    That driver seat looks like a 100K miles car. What a fail for a "restoration" dealer.
    My car with 112K, seat bolsters look like new. Not restored.
    E36/8 2000 M Coupe Cosmos Black/Black
    Shark, Conforti CAI, B&B Exhaust, H&R, Bilstein, AKG Subframe/Diff, UUC TME Red/Caps, Swapped Front Hats, Ice>Link.
    ================================================== =======================

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0/5 roadster
    Well, when a part such as this now goes for $51.56 I think we're all on a highway to $hell.unnamed.jpg
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...t/63132493613/
    Like the man says-Smoke em if you got em.
    Last edited by Dakar Ole; 12-06-2019 at 10:32 PM.

My Cars
    S54 e36/8; Tesla MY LR5
    Quote Originally Posted by ProductUser View Post
    A "unicorn" status, in my opinion, is isolated to a very, very small segment of automotive enthusiasts that love these cars. The Z variants could very well become some of the coveted classic cars at some point, however.
    I didn't put this in my first post to avoid the usual pissing contest that's not worth getting into, but while you're partially right, the other half of the story is this:

While there may be a small segment of enthusiasts for the S54 M Coupe, there were also ~680 made.
    17 years later, of those 680, how many are worth buying? How many haven't been owned by someone who didn't take care of it? How many haven't been in an accident? How many haven't been driven into the ground? Maybe 10% of them? There are seriously probably under 100 S54 M Coupes in North America worth owning at the costs they are commanding.
    So put those two things together, the segment of enthusiasts who are interested in an S54 M Coupe certainly is much larger than the number of M Coupes worth owning.
    That's why the prices are going up.
    These cars are already written up, vlogged about, etc in a very coveted/classic way.

To the point made by someone else, these cars are rarer than some of the 'rare' cars brought to auctions. They're weird and unique and will always have much much more interest than there are good examples to buy.

Anyway, that's how my brain works at least.

My Cars
    2000 Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by CB750 View Post
    Well, given the M Coupe market they'll probably get their $42k price, but whoever prepped (or didn't prep) the car interior scored a fail.
    The driver's seat desperately needs rejuvenation / conditioning, which any decent detailer could easily handle; the console scuff is a relatively easy fix, clean the steering wheel, and for the love of all that is M, replace those cheezy JC Whitney-ish floor mats (or at least vacuum 'em before taking photos)!
    Kinda makes you wonder why they named their company 'Automotive Restorations'. On a more basic level, presentation is everything with a sale of any kind.

Stubbornness is a virtue....

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M-Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by fmcfad01 View Post
    I didn't put this in my first post to avoid the usual pissing contest that's not worth getting into, but while you're partially right, the other half of the story is this:

While there may be a small segment of enthusiasts for the S54 M Coupe, there were also ~680 made.
    17 years later, of those 680, how many are worth buying? How many haven't been owned by someone who didn't take care of it? How many haven't been in an accident? How many haven't been driven into the ground? Maybe 10% of them? There are seriously probably under 100 S54 M Coupes in North America worth owning at the costs they are commanding.
    So put those two things together, the segment of enthusiasts who are interested in an S54 M Coupe certainly is much larger than the number of M Coupes worth owning.
    That's why the prices are going up.
    These cars are already written up, vlogged about, etc in a very coveted/classic way.

To the point made by someone else, these cars are rarer than some of the 'rare' cars brought to auctions. They're weird and unique and will always have much much more interest than there are good examples to buy.

Anyway, that's how my brain works at least.
    You made some good points, fmcfad01. It will be interesting to see where some of the Z variants end up over time.
    Tony
    "You can't sign away negligence."