Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Grant318is Dakar M3/2/5 Restoration Thread

My Cars
    1991 318is

The Grant318is Dakar M3/2/5 Restoration Thread

Just sold my M5:

Decided to buy a miata (which is now for sale)

I missed the BMW too much. Started searching for another M3 and found this localy:

1997 M3 Coupe 5spd
    Dakar Yellow on Grey M Alcantara
    138k Miles

Has anyone seen this combo before? This has to be one of the cleanest cars with original dakar paint that I have seen.

One last thing...NO SAG. YOU JELLY?

Last edited by Grant318is; 11-22-2014 at 10:47 AM.

My Cars
    2015 X1 & 2000 M5
    I was just looking at that car on ebay the other day haha, nice buy!

Compactive is offline Helpful. BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    3x 318ti
    The new ///M looks beautiful, very clean, and that interior is perfect!
    Want a custom signature? Post requests here, or PM me here | My Flickr

My Cars
    I take the bus to work.
    that's joe's old car...(guy in the reflection).
    -M3J0N

My Cars
    M3, 525i
    I too saw this on ebay. Nice looking car.
    2004 BMW 525i - Daily Beater

The Toys/Projects:

1996 BMW ///M3
    1994 Jeep Wrangler
    1993 Range Rover Classic SWB
    1987 VW Scirocco 16V

My Cars
    1991 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by m3j0n View Post
    that's joe's old car...(guy in the reflection).

Yeah. He seems like a great guy. Does a lot with Benz's.

My Cars
    BMW M3
    Looks very clean! You plan to keep it stock and clean or any mod plan?

Compactive is offline Helpful. BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    3x 318ti
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant318is View Post
    Yeah. He seems like a great guy. Does a lot with Benz's.
    Joe knows euros
    Want a custom signature? Post requests here, or PM me here | My Flickr

My Cars
    1991 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil G View Post
    Looks very clean! You plan to keep it stock and clean or any mod plan?
    Plan is to sell the wheels, put the OEM steering wheel back on and buy LTWs. Probably amber markers too.

My Cars
    98 M3
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! What a colour combo! I'm literally blown away at its awesomeness. Looking forward to seeing the LTWs on it. Assuming those wheels are BB5s and not real Super RS?

- 98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 124k and officially worthless - 89 m3, alpine/black 143k and officially old - 2000 323it, tiag/grey, 169k and officially boring

My Cars
    1991 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by notMpowered View Post
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! What a colour combo! I'm literally blown away at its awesomeness. Looking forward to seeing the LTWs on it. Assuming those wheels are BB5s and not real Super RS?

Nah. Reps. They need to go.

My Cars
    97 M3 Coupe
    Very nice car. I like the wheels even though they are pretty big. I am super jealous of the no-sag glove box.

My Cars
    1991 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by adept View Post
    Very nice car. I like the wheels even though they are pretty big. I am super jealous of the no-sag glove box.
    They're 18s. Not too bad, I just have the no reps policy.

My Cars
    2004 BMW M3
    Exhaust, Wheels and Smoked anything needs to GTFO. Other than that, OMG Hnnnnnnggggg dat paint son! Nice pickup. And the glovebox will sag. They all do. Eventually.
    2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6 SPD Manuel

My Cars
    BMW M3
    They're 18s. Not too bad, I just have the no reps policy.
    I understand you 100%. I feels the same way. Pretty sure you could send them at a decent price tho and get something more oem clean! Cant wait to see update!

My Cars
    Turbo 99' M3
    Super clean...interior is

My Cars
    1991 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharocks View Post
    Exhaust, Wheels and Smoked anything needs to GTFO. Other than that, OMG Hnnnnnnggggg dat paint son! Nice pickup. And the glovebox will sag. They all do. Eventually.
    The exhaust is a UUC. I'm keeping it. Markers are going amber.

My Cars
    BMW's
    Very nice find! We had one in the shop Wednesday for a BMWCCA Tech inspection and it was a kind of overcast day which made the yellow pop like crazy!

Connect with us on: Facebook | Google+ | Instagram | Pintrest | Twitter | YouTube

My Cars
    1991 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank@AchillesMotorsports View Post
    Very nice find! We had one in the shop Wednesday for a BMWCCA Tech inspection and it was a kind of overcast day which made the yellow pop like crazy!
    The same combo? Dakar on grey?

Mo pics!

My Cars
    98 M3
    I have this exact same wrinkle on my seats. It drives me insane. I just love your car though, its like the polar opposite of my colour combo.

Untitled by westophervan, on Flickr

- 98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 124k and officially worthless - 89 m3, alpine/black 143k and officially old - 2000 323it, tiag/grey, 169k and officially boring

My Cars
    1991 330iS
    Quote Originally Posted by notMpowered View Post
    I have this exact same wrinkle on my seats. It drives me insane. I just love your car though, its like the polar opposite of my colour combo.

Untitled by westophervan, on Flickr

I'm just glad to know that those seats weren't the only ones with that wrinkle! It drove me insane too, no matter what I tried, it just came back. Consider it the (ONLY) downside to cloth seats

OP, what is it that drove you back to the E36 M3? I've just gotten into an E30 and I plan on E36-itizing it. If it doesn't bring me any closer to how my M3 handled I think I may have a relapse as well.

Avusblau 1994 Euro M3 --> Journal Here
    Lagunagrün 1991 331iS-->Journal Here

My Cars
    1991 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by 3MPowered View Post
    I'm just glad to know that those seats weren't the only ones with that wrinkle! It drove me insane too, no matter what I tried, it just came back. Consider it the (ONLY) downside to cloth seats

OP, what is it that drove you back to the E36 M3? I've just gotten into an E30 and I plan on E36-itizing it. If it doesn't bring me any closer to how my M3 handled I think I may have a relapse as well.
    - M5 was a great car, but I put way too much money into it. It always needed something. It was too big, heavy and bad on gas. I don't race around so the power was fun, but rarely used.

- Miata was great. Total opposite of the M5. Great on gas, light and small. GF loved it and having a vert in FL is perfect. Downside is that it is loud on the highway (even with the hard top), has no power and no storage room. I didn't feel safe in it either.

- This is my 3rd E36 M3. They are easy to fix, have a timeless design and ride well. It is quiet on the highway, has plenty of power, some storage room and gets good enough gas mileage. I would have kept the miata, but this came up locally and was too good to pass on. I have driven a lot of cars. I really think that a nice E36 M3 is one of the best car values anywhere. The miata is fun, but it doesn't feel special. Driving in the M3 gives me that feeling that I'm driving a special car. I know its not, but for me it is. I on putting it back to stock and enjoying it.

I also had an E30. 318is. The miata reminds me of that car a lot. Loud, buzzy and super connected. Both are great on gas and cheap to fix. I looked into an S5X swap and never really did it. I think it was more power than I needed in that small of a car with no traction control and I felt the same with S/C kits on the miata.
    Last edited by Grant318is; 11-25-2014 at 10:56 PM.

My Cars
    z3
    I was going to ask why you sold the M5 to get back into an E36 because I did something similar a few years ago and haven't looked back, after that post it seems your reasoning was about the same as mine. Nowhere to really use the power (top of 3rd gear is criminal speeding) and just not a very nimble car. For most of the same reasons you did, I went back into an E36 platform

Nice M3, gotta say I love love LOVE the M cloth interior... just a little note to anyone with the M cloth interior reading this - I have a guy who can reproduce me the M cloth pattern, if I can get a sample of it...

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    F25 X3
    Great minds think alike. I'm on my 4th E36 M3...and this is the second time I've owned my current one! Every time I sell, I always seem to come back for another E36. They are terrific cars for all the reasons you mentioned. Congrats on your new ride. She looks fantastic. LTWs would really set it off. Timeless and classic, indeed.

- M5 was a great car, but I put way too much money into it. It always needed something. It was too big, heavy and bad on gas. I don't race around so the power was fun, but rarely used.

- Miata was great. Total opposite of the M5. Great on gas, light and small. GF loved it and having a vert in FL is perfect. Downside is that it is loud on the highway (even with the hard top), has no power and no storage room. I didn't feel safe in it either.

- This is my 3rd E36 M3. They are easy to fix, have a timeless design and ride well. It is quiet on the highway, has plenty of power, some storage room and gets good enough gas mileage. I would have kept the miata, but this came up locally and was too good to pass on. I have driven a lot of cars. I really think that a nice E36 M3 is one of the best car values anywhere. The miata is fun, but it doesn't feel special. Driving in the M3 gives me that feeling that I'm driving a special car. I know its not, but for me it is. I on putting it back to stock and enjoying it.

I also had an E30. 318is. The miata reminds me of that car a lot. Loud, buzzy and super connected. Both are great on gas and cheap to fix. I looked into an S5X swap and never really did it. I think it was more power than I needed in that small of a car with no traction control and I felt the same with S/C kits on the miata.
    2014 X3 xDrive35i

My Cars
    1991 330iS
    You guys are making me wish I'd just bought another E36 M3... I suppose there will always be some available. Nice ones are getting harder to find though, and continually seem to be commanding higher premiums.

Avusblau 1994 Euro M3 --> Journal Here
    Lagunagrün 1991 331iS-->Journal Here

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast