Thread: n reg bmw 325tds wont run with half a tank of fuel but runs fine when full

My Cars
    bmw 325 tds

n reg bmw 325tds wont run with half a tank of fuel but runs fine when full

hi i just bought my first bmw, a 325 tds i got it cheap cos it only runs when the car has over half a tank of fuel,if you let it go below the car wont run, can anyone point me in right direction please,thanks in advance mlr,oh and as this is my first post just like to say hi to everyone

My Cars
    98 M3, 97 540, 06 CaymanS
    This is a common problem with E36. The fuel pump is located on the passenger side of the fuel tank, and the tank is saddle shaped. There is a siphon between the two halves of the tank that is supposed to keep fuel on the side of the tank with the pump, but it doesn't work all that well, so the side with the pump is dry while the other side still is full. There is a kit you can install to fix the problem. Check out http://www.bimmerworld.com for their fuel starvation kits.

My Cars
    bmw 325 tds
    ok after looking under back seat it seems i have two fuel pumps,one on either side could one maybe be faulty if so you any idea which one thanks

My Cars
    98 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by bdklein View Post
    This is a common problem with E36. The fuel pump is located on the passenger side of the fuel tank, and the tank is saddle shaped. There is a siphon between the two halves of the tank that is supposed to keep fuel on the side of the tank with the pump, but it doesn't work all that well, so the side with the pump is dry while the other side still is full. There is a kit you can install to fix the problem. Check out http://www.bimmerworld.com for their fuel starvation kits.
    what he said

My Cars
    98 M3, 97 540, 06 CaymanS
    Quote Originally Posted by markps View Post
    ok after looking under back seat it seems i have two fuel pumps,one on either side could one maybe be faulty if so you any idea which one thanks
    The second one (on driver's side) isn't a fuel pump. It is a level sender that looks like a pump from above. You would have to pull it to see if the previous owner put a pump there.

My Cars
    bmw 325 tds
    ok thanks for all your help guys ,i dont supose u know were i can get one of these kits in uk or of another way i can fix, it if not i supose ill just have to use the halfway mark as my empty.

My Cars
    Dicktone Limo
    doesn't the 'tds' mean he has a diesel?

if so, his fuel delivery system is probably considerably different.

My Cars
    99 M3-92 Mtech2-Cummins
    Quote Originally Posted by markps View Post
    hi i just bought my first bmw, a 325 tds i got it cheap cos it only runs when the car has over half a tank of fuel,if you let it go below the car wont run, can anyone point me in right direction please,thanks in advance mlr,oh and as this is my first post just like to say hi to everyone
    best piece of advice you'll get. go to a diesel forum. all info givewn here will be based on a gas engine.

and.. this is the M3 forum.. so really we will nto be of much help.

current = '99 Estoril/Mulberry M3 Coupe :: past = '97 Alpine/Anthrazit M3 Coupe

My Cars
    bmw 325 tds
    ok thanks all sorry for the hassle