BAVToys

Thread: E46 FX-R retrofit + Projector fogs

My Cars
    bmw

E46 FX-R retrofit + Projector fogs

After some deliberation, I finally ponied up and bought some new TRS FX-R 2.0 projectors. These will be going into my DEPO P46s and my P46 projectors will be retrofitted into my fog light housings. During this swap, I switched back to Bosch housings and Bosch headlight lenses (which are still in good shape after 10 years).

Needed parts:

Headlight frames (non reflector, can be ZKW, AL, P46)
    Shrouds (OEM 2.5" or E46-R w/ centric rings)
    TRS FX-R 2.0 projectors
    D2S bulbs, I opted for the Philips 85122
    Dremel w/ assorted bits
    JB Kwik (not JB Weld, takes too long to dry)

Let's get started:

Onto the new parts!

TRS's new FX-R 2.0 projector

Uncut P46 frame

Sizing up the fit

After some dremmeling

Not near enough forward! Needs more work

Finished frame

Using JB Kwik to test fit the projectors. Just wanted to hold the projectors in place well enough to test the rotation, you don't want it permanently in place. JB kwik sets in 4 minutes which is good

Drivers side needs rotated a few degrees

Sharp

flicker

Projector fully seated

With shroud on

Pics of the shroud fitment. I did cover up where the angel eye once sat, success

At this point there was an issue with both projectors, the drivers side being worse than the passengers (bowed cutoff). TRS sent out a new one asap but it ended up being bowed as well. All three of my FX-R 2.0 projectors had bowing issues. But not to worry. I reverted back to the 1.0 version and currently all is well. Continued...

My Cars
    bmw
    Part 2 of the retrofit: projector fog lights.

Let me start out by saying that this part of the retrofit was hella easy. All you have to do is take off the rear reflector of the fog lights and snap the P46 projectors into the rear of the housing. No modification required plus fogs with 2.5" projectors look damn good.

Lightwerkz HID kit + Harness. I decided to go with 4300k to match the headlights. Might get some yellow fog light lenses down the line

Installed

Shot of both projectors

Shot of the output with the cutoffs outlined. For the record, you cannot aim these things. The drivers side fog is high and I've messed with it quite a bit to correct it. Still not where I want it. I will mess with it more and update later

You can see how high the drivers fog light is compared to the FX-Rs. No good

Took a photo years back showing my P46s output, here it is: (mind you, these are my modified straight cutoff P46s. Normal P46s are worse)

Now here's the FX-R + P46 projectors in fogs: (you can really see the high fog light in this photo. Look at the wall to the left and the light it spits out on the trees)

I'm still in the process of working on the fog light alignment. Also, all of the cutoff photos you see are of the bowed FX-R 2.0. I've already gone back to the 1.0 version so I'll get updated cutoff photos tomorrow night.

There are a lot more photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/derref/...7627345780374/
    Last edited by neil1138; 08-03-2011 at 04:23 AM.

My Cars
    M3, 850i, E30T, E55T
    Nicely done! I wish projector fogs didn't look so weird in the E36. I recently installed a set of fx-r retrofitted DEPO headlights in my car and the difference from even OEM ZKW is outstanding.
    Last edited by adamnur; 08-03-2011 at 04:56 AM.

My Cars
    95 M3, 2017 Tacoma
    wow, nice work

Schrick | AST | Vorshlag | CCW | Cobra | Kirk | OMP | Motion Motorsport

My Cars
    bmw
    Quote Originally Posted by adamnur View Post
    Nicely done! I wish projector fogs didn't look so weird in the E36. I recently installed a set of fx-r retrofitted DEPO headlights in my car and the difference from even OEM ZKW is outstanding.
    Thanks guys! A friend of mine was toying with the idea of retrofitting the oddly shaped Infiniti QX4 projectors into his E36 fog lights. Might be worth researching

My Cars
    Avus Cosmos Calypso!
    good work and thanks for the write up! Question: what do you mean by "bowed?" Why were the version 2.0 ones defective?

Also do you know if any fog light frame is available to mount a projector in there while freeing up space to feed an air intake or feed more air to the brakes? Application is for a e36.

One more question. Is there a big difference in quality between the bosch euro headlights housing and the depos, for instance? Thanks!

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, MCS
    excellent job.

My Cars
    E34 M5, E36 M3, E90 M3
    I think I need this upgrade... great diy!

My Cars
    1998 328i
    Nice job. I hope you're really enjoying the retro.
    My FX-Rs had a small amount of bowing--not enough to bother me or exchange them. You could've tweaked the shield by moving it up/down to remedy the cutoff bow, but I'm glad you got everything fixed up/replaced.
    Last edited by coffee328; 08-03-2011 at 05:12 PM.

My Cars
    bmw
    Quote Originally Posted by scooper View Post
    good work and thanks for the write up! Question: what do you mean by "bowed?" Why were the version 2.0 ones defective?

Also do you know if any fog light frame is available to mount a projector in there while freeing up space to feed an air intake or feed more air to the brakes? Application is for a e36.

One more question. Is there a big difference in quality between the bosch euro headlights housing and the depos, for instance? Thanks!
    Photos below. I don't know much about E36s, sorry my friend

I know my oem bosch headlights are much higher quality than the depo p46s I have. The housing is made of better plastic, the adjustment screws are solid and don't strip over time (ask me how I know). Also the bosch lenses are MUCH more robust compared to the depo lenses. My 10 year old bosch lenses had pitting, but after some wetsanding they were good to go. The depo lenses had started failing after only 3 years, no good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/derref/...0374/lightbox/

Quote Originally Posted by coffee328 View Post
    Nice job. I hope you're really enjoying the retro.
    My FX-Rs had a small amount of bowing--not enough to bother me or exchange them. You could've tweaked the shield by moving it up/down to remedy the cutoff bow, but I'm glad you got everything fixed up/replaced.
    I thought the shield was the problem as well. But after receiving three bowed units, I wasn't so sure. I did try bending the shield forward but with that, the cutoff starts to become less sharp due to the shield/lens distance variable. Big discussion over on hidplanet, finally Matt said there was a problem with the casting of the projector. Apparently a new 2.0 mold is already in the works so that's good news. The 2.0 bow:

There was a 12 page discussion on hidplanet: http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...g-cutoff-issue

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, MCS
    I came to realize these are coming straight from china as well as the morimoto's. You can get them super cheap over there:

http://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?...fsb=y&CatId=34

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, MCS
    I came to realize these are coming straight from china as well as the morimoto's. You can get them super cheap over there:

http://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?...fsb=y&CatId=34

My Cars
    1998 328i
    Oh, thanks for the info. I've been really out of the loop with HIDplanet lately, and I didn't even know there was a v.2 of the FX-Rs until I caught this thread.

I've had my retro for a year and a half, and my FX-Rs are running strong. I haven't had to tinker with my HIDs since the day I installed everything (knock on wood). So I wish the same luck to ya.

My Cars
    bmw
    I've fixed the alignment and I've also fitted clear lenses to the P46 projectors and made a custom cutoff shield. Finally, a month after I started this project, it's exactly where I want it.

Updated the P46 projectors w/ FX-R clear lenses:

Final output!

And the money shot

My Cars
    E36 M3, E46 M3
    cute e30 :]

My Cars
    E39M5, S123Benz
    Hate to bump a old thread, but are the projectors in the fogs 2.5 inch or 3 inch?
    I'm ordering FXR 3.0's on Thursday night from TRS's black Friday sale. I don't know if my 3 inch stock hella projectors will fit in my fog lamps.
    2000 Alpine White M5 on 06SW complete black sport leather: Muffler delete, eibach rear sway, Mk4 nav, bm53, oem aux, 16:9, euro lci headlights, celis tails, carbon rear diffuser
    1981 Mercedes-Benz 300TD Turbo wagon 4 speed swapped lowered, zender and AMG goodies
    2013 F-150 EcoBoost: Corsa DB, Osram CBI, LEDs, llumar tint (Gone)
    2004 Ford Ranger 5 speed (Gone)
    2001 525i 5 speed (Gone)

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, MCS
    Quote Originally Posted by neil1138
    I've fixed the alignment and I've also fitted clear lenses to the P46 projectors and made a custom cutoff shield. Finally, a month after I started this project, it's exactly where I want it.

Updated the P46 projectors w/ FX-R clear lenses:

Final output!

And the money shot
    This is highly impressive.

My Cars
    2005 545iA M Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by exbenz View Post
    Hate to bump a old thread, but are the projectors in the fogs 2.5 inch or 3 inch?
    I'm ordering FXR 3.0's on Thursday night from TRS's black Friday sale. I don't know if my 3 inch stock hella projectors will fit in my fog lamps.
    exbenz, just curious...Do you know what the improvements are in the 3.0's over the 2.0's?

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, MCS
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
    exbenz, just curious...Do you know what the improvements are in the 3.0's over the 2.0's?
    The 2.0's were scrapped by almost everyone. They had a horrible quality control issue with a bowing cut off. 1.1's aren't any better.

Regardless, the difference from the 1.0 and 3.0:

1.0 is much wider. (you will see more on the sides)
    3.0 is more intense at the hot spot (you will see further down the middle of the road)
    1.0 is very streaky and blurry cut off, even with a clear lens.
    3.0 has a much sharper cut off

Here are my personal opinions:

#1: OEM with clear lens
    #2: FX-R 1.0
    #3: FX-R 3.0
    #4: .
    #5: .
    #6: .
    #7: FX-R 1.1
    #8: FX-R 2.0

My Cars
    2005 545iA M Sport
    Thanks for the info...The reason I asked is because I bought a set of Projector39 headlights from Umnitza with the FX-R 2.0 projectors and Orion V2 angel eyes. My oem Hella xenons has broken adjustors and these were a lot less expensive than buying new Hellas. Maybe I got lucky, but my cutoff looks pretty sharp...

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, MCS
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
    Thanks for the info...The reason I asked is because I bought a set of Projector39 headlights from Umnitza with the FX-R 2.0 projectors and Orion V2 angel eyes. My oem Hella xenons has broken adjustors and these were a lot less expensive than buying new Hellas. Maybe I got lucky, but my cutoff looks pretty sharp...
    Even a bad FX-R will be better than a good OEM E39 projector. I have also heard the bowls start to separate on the 2.0's and 1.1's. Might want to watch for that.

My Cars
    2005 545iA M Sport
    I certainly will. And your right, the fx-r's are far superior to my old Hellas.
    Thanks again
    JP

My Cars
    E36, ZHP
    Any one know where I can source the P46 projectors?

My headlights are AL but I would love to do the projector fog lights.
    Jeremy Clarkson on the Corvette Z06: "In many ways then this car is like herpes. Great fun catching it but not so much fun to live with every day."

My Cars
    2002 BMW M3 Convertible
    what up bro....i see that some of the items you used in this project are pretty much no longer available. Could you provide me with alternatives? I'd love to do my fogs asap. Well done...looks incredible.

FOLLOW US ON INSTAGRAM
    @The_Mom3ntum_Group

PERFORMANCE: ECIS Intake with RE Silicon boot, Euro
    Headers, RE Rasp Term, TopSpeed Muffler, AA Tune, RE Stage 1 Clutch, RE SS Clutch
    Lines, RE FCABs & RTABs, Bilstein PSS10s, Custom CSL Brakes Upgrade, Stop
    Tech SS Brake Lines
    TBC.....