Bavarian Soundwerks
Page 9 of 79 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718193459 ... LastLast

Thread: Feeler: Open Source OBC Firmware

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3
    Wow, excellent work decoding the CCM byte!

So bits 0 and 1 still need to be traced manually or triggered to see what those are monitoring?

1999 ///M3 TiAg | Heated Power Vaders | DDM Projector36 5000K 55W HIDs | DDM 3000K 35W HID Fogs
    DDM Smoked Corners | DDM Weighted Shift Knob | K&N CAI | Mishimoto AL Rad w/Zionsville AL Shroud
    Stewart HiPo Water Pump | Samco Hose Kit | 16" SPAL Puller Fan | Viper 5701LE Security
    E36 OBC is now open! Join the effort: BF.C Thread | openOBC Wiki

My Cars
    '94 325i / s13
    Quote Originally Posted by m2pc View Post
    Wow, excellent work decoding the CCM byte!

So bits 0 and 1 still need to be traced manually or triggered to see what those are monitoring?
    Yeah. I'll get around to it before long. I'm in no hurry right now as I'm waiting for my new pic programmer, as well as waiting/hoping for you to spoonfeed me whatever display controller pinout you settled on.

Do you have a host for openobc.org yet? The web site itself can wait, but I think it's about time to get some smf or phpbb going on to organize communication and notes a bit better.

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3
    Quote Originally Posted by benemorius View Post
    Yeah. I'll get around to it before long. I'm in no hurry right now as I'm waiting for my new pic programmer, as well as waiting/hoping for you to spoonfeed me whatever display controller pinout you settled on.
    Excellent, I've been busy with my E36 (front suspension work) so I haven't had much time to dig around for my display controller docs. I'll go over my findings and post a full explanation soon!

Quote Originally Posted by benemorius View Post
    Do you have a host for openobc.org yet? The web site itself can wait, but I think it's about time to get some smf or phpbb going on to organize communication and notes a bit better.
    Yes, I have a Virtual Dedicated server @ GoDaddy all set up and ready. I'll see about getting something up on that soon.

FYI, I got laid off from my job last week, so I'll have more time to put into this project while I get back on my feet.

1999 ///M3 TiAg | Heated Power Vaders | DDM Projector36 5000K 55W HIDs | DDM 3000K 35W HID Fogs
    DDM Smoked Corners | DDM Weighted Shift Knob | K&N CAI | Mishimoto AL Rad w/Zionsville AL Shroud
    Stewart HiPo Water Pump | Samco Hose Kit | 16" SPAL Puller Fan | Viper 5701LE Security

My Cars
    '94 325i / s13
    Excellent, I've been busy with my E36 (front suspension work) so I haven't had much time to dig around for my display controller docs. I'll go over my findings and post a full explanation soon!
    Great. Like I said - no hurry. I'm just twiddling my thumbs until my programmer arrives.

FYI, I got laid off from my job last week, so I'll have more time to put into this project while I get back on my feet.
    So I read. Good luck with that.

My Cars
    03 540i M Sport/95 525iT
    M2pc,

You should set up a donation link on the web page. I will be happy to donate to the cause. I have seen this repeatedly on mp3car site and folks with honor really do donate if the software effort merits it. (Lots of Car PC projects with various types of interfaces for music, navigation, phone, etc.)
    2003 540i M Sport 6 spd, 97 328iC 5 spd w/M Lux Package, 95 525iT w/M52 5 spd swap, 2008 R1200GS Adventure, 92 Celica All Trac Turbo

My Cars
    '97 m3, '06 330i
    subscribing.

sun-roofless artic silver 97 m3, Squid Industries custom SSK, Vogtland club spec springs, Ground Control street camber plates, Bilstein sports, OEM RTABs w/limiters, 8.5 x 17" DSII's, Safety wired oil pump nut, Sway bars (27/stock), conforti tune

My Cars
    96 328 saloon
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark185 View Post
    M2pc,

You should set up a donation link on the web page. I will be happy to donate to the cause. I have seen this repeatedly on mp3car site and folks with honor really do donate if the software effort merits it. (Lots of Car PC projects with various types of interfaces for music, navigation, phone, etc.)

truth, i would too. and if there are enough of us willing to give 10~20$ that would add up fast !
    >(^-^)>

My Cars
    Red E30 Black E36
    I can haz boost pressure?

With the successes of the plx multi-gauge I'd say it's pretty apparent that even FI guys want a clean interior. Boost pressure, with a - denoting vac, would be awesome. Other common FI related gauges have already been discussed so this seems reasonable.

If you put up a donation site I will participate, I'm sure many others will as well.

My Cars
    '94 325i / s13
    Quote Originally Posted by HiTheNameIsBj View Post
    I can haz boost pressure?
    Sure thing as long as it's electric.

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3
    UPDATE: The website for this project is up!

http://www.openobc.org/

My Cars
    z3
    Awesome, this seems like a great project. Dont know how far its progressed, read the first and last pages, but I would be interested if it wasnt such a PITA going from a 10 to 18 button OBC. Perhaps firmware can account for the lack of buttons and provide us 10-buttoners with the data the 18 button gives? Unlikely, due to lack of electrical components, wiring, and sensors, but regardless; VERY interesting project I wish you good luck!

one question that im sure has been answered before (sorry for that): how will you get the script from your computer to our homes and onto our OBCs?

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    that sounds really cool

My Cars
    97 hellrot M3 sedan
    Subscribed

I miss my M3!

My Cars
    3/92 E36 Sedan
    Nice going m2pc. Glad this is still feasible. Can't wait to see the prototype.

My Cars
    1993 325is

Thumbs up Add one more to the team!

Hey all, new to the forum. I was enticed by your post on the E36blog forum m2pc, and then I got here an couldn't stop reading. You guys are really moving along, this is exciting stuff!

I think this project is AWESOME, and I would love to contribute where I can. I'm also a web developer that mostly uses C# in the .NET framework. I don't know a lot about the EE stuff you guys have been hammering away at; trying to learn as we go... But once we get into the coding I think I can be helpful.

@benemorius: Where are you located? I'm up in VT, buy my boy down in Jersey is a mechanic that works for Ferrari. Him and his dad both own moderately tuned E36 M3s, among other BMWs, and will most likely be interested in this project as well. I'm heading down today for about two weeks and I'm going to talk to him about acquiring the diagnostic tool you need. The Ferrari dealership is right next door to BMW, and one of his boys works there so if he doesn't own one I bet we could borrow one.

Being able to send and receive that additional data would really be the ultimate, IMO.

Down the road:
    I know this idea is too ambitious at the moment, but once we get the software development a couple releases in I really want to look into upgrading the LED display and buttons with a touchscreen interface, either LCD or OLED. Once we build in all this extra functionality we really need to consider practical display and navigation of this data, and I have doubts that it will be very practical or usable with the current display/controls. A high res touchscreen would not only give us more real estate but also a much higher screen resolution and full color palette. Consider the possibility of a fully digital gauge cluster that can be customized on the fly. That would just be one possible 'main screen'.

I'm not too sure about the EE aspect of this idea, but I would be very willing to help develop the UI and menu system. I haven't done too much research yet but this company looks like a potential supplier: http://http://www.elotouch.com/

Keep up the great work guys!

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3
    Updates:

I've been working to find the following:

- A standardized, open-source PIC C compiler.
    - An open-source hardware/software PIC programmer.

They're almost nailed down, check openobc.org site for an update soon!

My Cars
    Red E30 Black E36
    Any progress on this? openobc site seems to be down.

My Cars
    96 328i, 07 E91 328xi
    have you looked at using Arduino?

My Cars
    '97 m3, '06 330i
    the AVR line up of micros should also be considered as they are more opensource friendly. The architecture is RISC based so compilers are easier to write for them. The GCC supports them... the developement tools are also cheaper than the PIC tools.

Arduino is uses AVR micros.

sun-roofless artic silver 97 m3, Squid Industries custom SSK, Vogtland club spec springs, Ground Control street camber plates, Bilstein sports, OEM RTABs w/limiters, 8.5 x 17" DSII's, Safety wired oil pump nut, Sway bars (27/stock), conforti tune

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3
    Yes, we're still alive. Site is down temporarily, sorry for the inconvenience. I'm impressed that someone actually noticed!

My Cars
    96 328i, 07 E91 328xi
    I've been using Arduino for development on a homebrew pinball machine. The level of community support and open-source or just freely distributed code and tutorials is worth the more in value than the cost of the board.

My Cars
    2010 535xi Wagon
    +1 for Arduino!

My Cars
    M52
    I kinda skipped a few pages, but has anyone mentioned the possibility of your program measuring and displaying intake temps, That would be quality information.

My Cars
    Red E30 Black E36
    Yes, we're still alive. Site is down temporarily, sorry for the inconvenience. I'm impressed that someone actually noticed!
    I really want this to happen, I'm coming to the end of a turbo build which means I A: buy a buch of gauges and have them scattered in the cabin, or B: buy a pox multi gauges and all it's expensive sensors. I would love to have the stock look of the open source obc. I have a sudgestion as well, not sure if anymore mentioned it but, what about the ability of preseting values and using the obc's speaker to chime when that preset it reached. Such as boost level >14psi, once it hits 15 the memo chime goes off.

ganesht is offline (oOO)\(lll)°(lll)/(OOo) BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    98 528i 5 speed
    ETA on the site coming back?

BTW hows the job hunt? im in a similar situation =/
    Alida:
    Born: Friday, 9th January 1998
    Arktissilber Metallic on Schwarz 528i/5

Claudia:
    Born: Friday, 2nd May 2003
    Sterlinggrau Metallic on Schwarz 540i/6

Page 9 of 79 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718193459 ... LastLast