Thread: 2000 325i convertible prepurchase

My Cars
    several

2000 323Ci convertible prepurchase

Maybe I overlooked the introduction thread. Just joined yesterday. Former 2005 MINI Cooper S owner and modder. Previously owned and modded an '05 and '07 Scion tC. Previously owned Chevy, Pontiac, Toyota, Nissan and I guess Ford.

Looking at purchasing a silver with black top 323Ci convertible. At a shop now getting it looked at. Test drove yesterday with the top down and up. Top works well, but may have a small leak. Driver door lock does not unlock with remote. Difficult to unlock that door with the key. Door handle sticks. Passenger seat will not move unless "hot wired". Air bag light on. Clicking or tapping sound under the hood at idle that you can hear in the cabin. Does not sound like an engine noise to me. Maybe a belt, pulley or something the belt moves. Some exterior and interior cosmetic imperfections. Does not blow cold air conditioning. Maybe just needs a recharge, but not sure. I have read about some of the issues this model has, but do not know the service or maintenance history. The guy I may be buying from has no idea and is not the original owner. Excited about the possibilities of the car.

Jeremy

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by JCC511; 01-31-2018 at 10:05 AM. Reason: 323i not 325i
    Jeremy
    2000 323Ci Titansilber Metallic cabriolet

My Cars
    2002 325Ci Cabriolet
    If the asking price is more than $500, it's too much given what you said. FYI - the 323 does indeed have 2.5L (M52TUB25) engine.

My Cars
    several
    Just seeing this reply. I apologize for the delay. Is the M52TUB25 engine? I bought the car and recently replaced the radiator and hoses. I did not replace the expansion tank, but do intend to. I think the noise under the hood is one of the pulleys, but still need to trace it down. Not sure what maintenance I am going to tackle next. Thank you for the information. I was expecting more responses. :-)

My Cars
    2002 330Ci, 1995 325is
    It's cooling system time. They are notorious for causing trouble. If the water pump is not new replace it. Basically replace all of the cooling system. Then move to the CCV system.
    Quote Originally Posted by JCC511 View Post
    Just seeing this reply. I apologize for the delay. Is the M52TUB25 engine? I bought the car and recently replaced the radiator and hoses. I did not replace the expansion tank, but do intend to. I think the noise under the hood is one of the pulleys, but still need to trace it down. Not sure what maintenance I am going to tackle next. Thank you for the information. I was expecting more responses. :-)

My Cars
    '04 BMW 325 Ci blk cpe
    @ the start you said you were having it looked at a shop...what were the results?

My Cars
    several
    Quote Originally Posted by jc1kz View Post
    @ the start you said you were having it looked at a shop...what were the results?
    You're right. Here goes:
    radiator leaking(replaced and hoses)
    rotors all around have a lip
    oil leaking
    possible head gasket seeping
    transmission pan leaking
    throttle cable needs replacing
    fan clutch "weak"

I believe that was the basic idea.

Jeremy

My Cars
    94 325is+325ic, 04 330ci
    I have an 04 330ci vert and the tapping clicking noise under the hood, mine has the same thing was annoying af, first off not sure if the m52 has a disa valve or not but if so you should definitely inspect it, do not want that thing breaking apart and getting sucked into your engine, mine was broken on purchase but luckily only a tiny plastic piece got lost somewhere the metal part was still intact. The tapping sound I figured out to be a heat shield on the passenger side of the engine just tapped over and over like a ticking sound, most members say rip it out, do whatever u want, but may be a place to look.

What did u purchase the car for? and how many miles? I hope not too much, another huge thing on the early model e46's are the rear subframe mounts look back there good and make sure there is no cracking.

With a leaking radiator it's quite possible the PO let it get low on coolant and overheated it at some point and if so would def cause troubles you'd be lucky if it was only a partial head gasket and not warping the head, as for your oil leaking most likely 5$ fix in an OFHG they are known for it, takes a solid 4-6 hours to tear it down and replace depending on how clean you want to make your engine while everyhtings apart. In that old of a car everything coolant related should be replaced as well as any rubber components most likely. Best of luck!

My Cars
    several
    Quote Originally Posted by pablowski View Post
    I have an 04 330ci vert and the tapping clicking noise under the hood, mine has the same thing was annoying af, first off not sure if the m52 has a disa valve or not but if so you should definitely inspect it, do not want that thing breaking apart and getting sucked into your engine, mine was broken on purchase but luckily only a tiny plastic piece got lost somewhere the metal part was still intact. The tapping sound I figured out to be a heat shield on the passenger side of the engine just tapped over and over like a ticking sound, most members say rip it out, do whatever u want, but may be a place to look.

What did u purchase the car for? and how many miles? I hope not too much, another huge thing on the early model e46's are the rear subframe mounts look back there good and make sure there is no cracking.

With a leaking radiator it's quite possible the PO let it get low on coolant and overheated it at some point and if so would def cause troubles you'd be lucky if it was only a partial head gasket and not warping the head, as for your oil leaking most likely 5$ fix in an OFHG they are known for it, takes a solid 4-6 hours to tear it down and replace depending on how clean you want to make your engine while everyhtings apart. In that old of a car everything coolant related should be replaced as well as any rubber components most likely. Best of luck!
    From my research, the sound I have is either the bearing in the alternator going out or one of the pulleys. I have not had a chance to narrow it down. It could definitely be something else.

Jeremy

My Cars
    several
    I paid less than $3k.

Jeremy