Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M Roadster coyote swap

My Cars
    '14 Ford Mustang GT/CS

M Roadster coyote swap

It's been fun, I was fortunate to be able to own an M roadster. As fun as the idea of a coyote powered roady I swapped the entire car.The Z3 in general seemed to have more "auto enthusiast" owners versus the stereotypical BMW owner. I've always loved roadsters and since a Shelby Cobra was out of the question I figured the next best thing as far as a roadster was the Z3M. Not to mention part of me wanted to own a BMW since my last name is "From Bavaria" (like those nice looking, but heavy and expensive aftermarket BMW wheels if you took of the "N" ) and all my ancestors were Bavarian.
    the M was like a go cart with leather seats but as it was not aging too gracefully and I had to get back to my motoring roots.

Here she is waiting....

And here she is the after the swap was finished...

I ordered my Mustang in early March and it delivered late yesterday.

Projected pony puddle lamps lol.

I custom ordered her in March, She came in Thursday and I picked her up that night. The phone pictures were quickly taken do her no no justice, in person it's amazing.
    It's a GT/CS so you get lots of unique styling and bits from the BOSS 302 like leather and alcantara seats. She is loaded every option aside from the shaker 1000, since paying $2k for a trunk mounted sub is silly.
    Here's the best part soon my other mustang should be here too, but it's a surprise for my mom. It's just a v6 premium with everything except the electronics Pack. Both have glass roofs. Coming from the roadster the glass roof is nothing short of awesome. And here's the kicker, even though the Mustang has over 200 more horses and is bigger, I've been getting mileage I could only dream of geting in the roaster. I'm getting 20-23 city and that's messing around.
    It's just an awesome car.

I've tried rehabbing the M but after spending more than $7,500 for parts just to repair it in the past 2 years and I only drove it about 20k miles, mainly highway and never raced.
    But early this year the creaks and thumping started from the trunk. I pulled the carpet and found the subframe on the driver side was failing catastrophically so it was time to let the M go. And since you can't find any new z3s I had to go another route.

(Sorry I had a sleeping pill and was passing out as I wrote this, I just edited it to fix all the mistakes lol)
    Last edited by L8APEX M; 05-17-2014 at 08:54 PM.
    "A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
    - Dwight D. Eisenhower

CPR Turbocharged '14.5 Deep Impact Blue GT/CS Mustang #278 (ORDERED 3-19-14) Delivered 5-15-14!
    '11 BMW Z4 35is ///M Sport Black Sapphire Metallic
    '04 Sonic Blue SVT Lightning #3535-3781 (GONE & Forever missed!)

BMW ///M Roadster '00 Titanium Silver/Black (gone)

My Cars
    E36-E367-E39-E53
    Nice Roady. Love silver with black wheels.

GL with your ponies.
    ​~Mike

My Cars
    2011 E92 M3, 2007 335i
    I be driving a highly prepared ESP version of your new ride today and tomorrow in what our club calls Grudge matches. Should be fun. Enjoy your new ride.
    Now in E92 M3 ZCP -- Absolute beast

My Cars
    368, E86, 318ti, Raptor
    I was expecting to see a 5.0 coyote shoehorned somehow into a 367 chassis. Now im sad.

Sweet Stang though...

My Cars
    z3
    Those mustangs are great little cars. The 5.0 is very similar in design to BMW's S62 - to the point mustang guys made a thread about it! Plus that Coyote engine has the highest flowing stock heads of any production car!!!

I forget, are these new ones still IRS? I think thats the biggest drawback on these cars, even though honestly Ford has done a LOT to make the solid rear axel negligable from a handling perspective.

I have a few articles about that engine bookmarked... the Coyote is really something impressive.

Ford claims to have taken taken beat-to-hell durability-cycle engines with the equivalent of 250,000 miles of wear and, upon inspection, discovered that the initial hone patterns appeared brand-new

'Nuff said!
    http://jalopnik.com/5467038/the-ford...he-nissan-gt-r

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 M Roadster
    I like your new ride. I've owned 2 older 5.0's and a '99 Cobra...fun, fun cars.
    Z3M Racer '99 M Roadster

My Cars
    '14 Ford Mustang GT/CS
    Thanks guys! it's my first stang, but far from my first fast Ford. From 04 to December of 12 I was the proud power of one of the last Sonic Blue Ford SVT F-150 Lightning's. I loved that truck but when my grandma was diagnosed with colon cancer I sold my prized truck to a Dr in Texas. The money has helped make her comfortable, and I started saving for another nice car. I bought the M for a nice driver so I could retire my 82 F-100 from daily driver service, while the lightning was my toy.
    After saving 2 years, a big promotion I was ready to buy another toy, and the roadster's half dozen popped welds and it was at the point only the caulking was holding the panels together. It just hurried the decision.
    A coyote powered z3 would be like a modern Shelby Cobra, but the rearend would have to be heavily reinforced and I'd imagine the rear diff would need beefed up if not replaced.

Mine is a S197, it still has a live rear axle. The only Mustangs with irs were the "new edge" cobras from 99 to 04. But it was a compromise since the chassis for the mustang from the fox, SN95 and new edge were based off a platform designed for the 79 Fairmount... with that consider they worked pretty well.
    The S197 not have irs but it is one of the best handing chassis made. Look at the success of the "boy racer" and later the "BOSS 302S."
    The "coyote" and "roadrunner" engines are amazing. Blackxs here is something for you The funny thing is they have a different firing order than all the other Ford v8's except for the first Ford V8. The coyote has the same firing order as the legendary flathead.

I've got a full bassani exhaust ready to go on her, and I'm really contemplating getting a 2.9 Whipple supercharger.

One neat easter egg is any manual '14 GT made after July of 13 can get "track key" now, so the BOSS doesn't get to have all the fun. Track key's launch control will be a blast!
    They're on a 5 week backorder right now otherwise I would have driven off the lot with the "red" key.

Good luck papa, I'm envious.

Racer, those ponys would have been fun. The 99 cobra despite some hiccups when it came out was a great platform. As the last cobra with the teksid block it's engine had much more potential than the disappointing numbers they put down from the factory.

And Heli, they were actually anthracite colored roadstars. (It's hard to see unless your in person)

I edited my first post, my meds had me about to fall asleep, and the autocorrect on my phone was having a heyday lol.
    Last edited by L8APEX M; 05-17-2014 at 09:55 PM.
    - Dwight D. Eisenhower

CPR Turbocharged '14.5 Deep Impact Blue GT/CS Mustang #278 (ORDERED 3-19-14) Delivered 5-15-14!

My Cars
    '14 Ford Mustang GT/CS
    Quote Originally Posted by HeliHover View Post
    Nice Roady. Love silver with black wheels.

GL with your ponies.
    Here's a better pic of the anthracite wheels.
    - Dwight D. Eisenhower

My Cars
    ML320-GTI-996TT-Bikes
    Nice! A guy at work has one too. All black, lowered and he put a quad tailpipe exhaust on it. Looks hot!!!

SOLD MAY '14
    Mods
    : 6psi Supercharger kit; Rogue RSM's; DINAN strut brace; Magnaflow exhaust; Stewart waterpump; Stoneguards, Glove box fix, M Shift knob; Aux input adapter;
    Mesh bumper grill; Projector Z II headlights (35W Xenon), IE alu radiator, ARD wheel studs, H&R coilovers, Work VS-XX wheels/Hankook V12 tires, VANOS fix

My Cars
    '14 Ford Mustang GT/CS
    The dealer has already sold the Roadster it sold yesterday, so it did not even sit a week.
    If I had more parking room and Kansas' taxes were not so ridiculous I would have kept her but I saved more money in taxes than what she was worth. It was a go cart with leather seats, allot of fun but I'd already spent more than half of what I paid for the BMW in less than 2 years. As soon I replaced one part another part would fail. I'll miss it but it was time to move on.

The 2nd Mustang I ordered my mom (a Sterling grey with saddle tan interior, comfort package, auto, glass roof, Pony Package/ Premium V6) came in last night, I don't have any pics yet but it looks like this rendering below.
    (The sterling gray mustang next to my my DIB GT/CS in the pictures above is the dealer's loaner that my mom was driving until her car came in.)
    The glass roofs on the mustangs are amazing (both have them!) they are so nice that they make you really not miss a convertible.

Last edited by L8APEX M; 05-22-2014 at 03:45 PM.
    - Dwight D. Eisenhower

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    I've been living under a rock... why do they call it 'coyote'?

- - - Updated - - -

Nvm, it seems like another one of those proper nouns that american car companies like to apply to everything. Engines, transmissions, diffs.

Either way, very beautiful car.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R
    Quote Originally Posted by blackxs View Post
    I forget, are these new ones still IRS? I think thats the biggest drawback on these cars, even though honestly Ford has done a LOT to make the solid rear axel negligable from a handling perspective.
    ~2003 Cobra had the IRS but that's it. IRS is set to return and be standard across all/most Mustang lines from 2015 on.

My Cars
    z3
    Glad they actually incorprated the glass roofs on this model. As I recall it went back to a concept that came out right before the 'retro' model came about

If it looked that good when it came out, I may be posting on a mustang forum right now instead of bf.c...

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp
    Quote Originally Posted by L8APEX M View Post
    The dealer has already sold the Roadster it sold yesterday, so it did not even sit a week.
    If I had more parking room and Kansas' taxes were not so ridiculous I would have kept her but I saved more money in taxes than what she was worth. It was a go cart with leather seats, allot of fun but I'd already spent more than half of what I paid for the BMW in less than 2 years. As soon I replaced one part another part would fail. I'll miss it but it was time to move on.

The 2nd Mustang I ordered my mom (a Sterling grey with saddle tan interior, comfort package, auto, glass roof, Pony Package/ Premium V6) came in last night, I don't have any pics yet but it looks like this rendering below.
    (The sterling gray mustang next to my my DIB GT/CS in the pictures above is the dealer's loaner that my mom was driving until her car came in.)
    The glass roofs on the mustangs are amazing (both have them!) they are so nice that they make you really not miss a convertible.

This is a painfully real problem that bimmer is going to have to solve, or go tits up... right now they're selling everything than can make into the new rich far east, mostly as status symbols... but then's the reality that when that boom passes, they have a lot of existing customers that are looking elsewhere. Will be interesting to see how the new Z3 does: brand T will produce the coupe version and bimmer the roadie version (so the rumor mill says). But with the level of (reliability) expectation set by brand H and T, which will sell more/better. I've posted here before, the number of "had a bimmer, will never make that mistake again" people that I continue to run into... as much as a Z is a fun car to own, but there will be a bmw in the future to make them... kind of like Lotus of the 70's - there were a few dedicated owners, but if they hadn't gone to brand T motors etc, they'd be entirely toast today. ... my impression is that in fact Lotus is a more reliable brand than BMW today. Will BMW learn, learn in time?

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe, 318TI
    Quote Originally Posted by gmushial View Post
    ... right now they're selling everything than can make into the new rich far east, mostly as status symbols...
    Ahh, BMW is selling pretty well in the US. From http://www.autonews.com/article/2014...ury-sales-lead

April 1, 2014 - 3:56 pm ET

DETROIT (Bloomberg) -- The BMW brand posted its best March sales ever in the United States, helping the luxury automaker shrink Mercedes-Benz’s 2014 lead.

BMW sold 32,107 vehicles last month, an increase of 19 percent from a year earlier, led by its mid-size sedans and SUVs. Mercedes sold 27,401 vehicles last month, a gain of 11 percent from a year earlier, led by its top-of-the-line S-class sedan and entry-level SUV, the GLK, according to a statement today.

BMW reported a combined 14 percent increase to 10,120 deliveries for its 3- and 4-series vehicles and a 46 percent jump to 4,430 for the X3 SUVs. Sales of Mercedes’s S-class, which starts at $92,900, almost doubled to 2,299 in March, while the GLK, its most affordable SUV at a starting price of $37,480, rose 24 percent to 3,345.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp
    Quote Originally Posted by dougmcintyre View Post
    Ahh, BMW is selling pretty well in the US. From http://www.autonews.com/article/2014...ury-sales-lead
    Would be interesting to compare the numbers vs 2006 or '07 numbers [would hope everyone is selling better this year vs last year and for the last 6 as the economy has climbed out of a big hole]... likewise would be worthwhile to factor in/out the ex-MB owners (ie, one time effects), and likewise look at the first time sales numbers. The effect I'm seeing is the "owned one, won't do that again" effect... I see quite a few people aspiring to a bimmer, only to get there, be bit and move on. And no question that MB has lost its way... forcing those people to either Lexus (a lot won't ever do that after so many years of believing it a inferior brand), or into another German car. I guess the other note one might make with the data is: does one compare marque sales, or sales within a line, ie, retails tend to compare same-store sales, ie, I wonder what one has learned if a retailer offers three new lines, and has sales increase 15% - doesn't that argue that the existing lines are doing less well? I guess the number I'd like to see the most would be the 1st time sales vs the nth time sales - which of course bimmer isn't going to disclose... but I would suggest that's most indicative of the future... as they say: we shall see in the fullness of time.

following up: I guess two other numbers that might be useful would be a) percentage increase in car sale in total - if a vendor is up 14%, but total sales are up 16%, then that doesn't sound a bright and promising; and b) market share numbers (which are a rehash of relative increase).
    Last edited by gmushial; 05-22-2014 at 05:31 PM.

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe, 318TI
    Yes, those would be interesting numbers.

What we do know is

1 - in 2013 US BMW brand (doesn't include Mini and pre-owned cars) sales were an all-time record high - https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/usa/p...item=node__804

2 - and in 2013 BMW ranks number 3 in brand loyalty - http://247wallst.com/special-report/...l-customers/2/
    3. BMW
    > Loyalty: 51.7%
    > 2013 Sales: 113,357
    > YTD sales growth: 8.2%
    > 2013 market share: 1.8% (17th largest)

BMW is one of the nation’s best-selling luxury brands, with more than 113,000 vehicles sold this year through May. The brand has strived to maintain a very strong, loyal customer base. The German brand competes fiercely with another German brand, Mercedes-Benz, which last year sold more vehicles in the United States, nearly 295,000, than BMW’s 281,460. This is on pace to continue this year as well, with Mercedes holding a healthy lead over BMW as of May. One possible problem may be that BMW generates too little of its sales from new customers. Just 48.3% of customers who trade-in for a BMW are new buyers, versus 53.5% for Mercedes-Benz.

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by BenFenner View Post
    ~2003 Cobra had the IRS but that's it.
    All 1999-2004 Cobra's were IRS, though I don't recall if the 300 Cobra R's in 2000 had it. It had lots ofaftermarket content.
    Ironicly, many drag racers replaced the IRS with solid axle. My '99 (normally asperated) ran 13.70's with IRS on street tires.
    Z3M Racer '99 M Roadster

My Cars
    '14 Ford Mustang GT/CS
    The 00R had irs, so did all the Aussie '02 cobras.The irs in the new edge cobras worked pretty darn well when you consider the chassis was designed for the '79 Fairmount.
    When the s197 came out in 05 they made allot of improvements that would have been impossible with the sn95/new edge. Amazingly The s197 hasn't been around a decade and it's being replaced by the s550 for '15 but it's more an evolution since it came from a highly modified s197.
    - Dwight D. Eisenhower

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    I re-read and if I missed something, apologies, but :
    quote:
    But early this year the creaks and thumping started from the trunk. I pulled the carpet and found the subframe on the driver side was failing catastrophically so it was time to let the M go. And since you can't find any new z3s I had to go another route

just being curious, does this mean you traded the car in to the Ford dealer with the failed subframe, who then quickly sold it to someone , or was it repaired before you traded it in?

and you certainly can refuse to answer.....

My Cars
    1997 Boston Green Z3
    Love the GT/CS. Great looking car and color. I have a 2007 and I am looking forward to the 2015's coming out. Might have to add to the fleet. Modding Mustangs is addictive. Here is my 2007, shaker hood, headers, Pro Chamber H, Bama tunes, 3.73 rear end, Ford racing/Eibach suspension except for shocks/Struts where I prefer Koni, Roush rear wing (started with Ford, then Shelby GT500 style and ended up with Roush), then of course sequential tail lights, black rear filler panel, CDC convertible light bar... it never ends until you get another one... and start over...White mustang smaller pic.jpgmy pony.JPG

My Cars
    '14 Ford Mustang GT/CS
    Quote Originally Posted by William Turner View Post
    I re-read and if I missed something, apologies, but :
    quote:
    But early this year the creaks and thumping started from the trunk. I pulled the carpet and found the subframe on the driver side was failing catastrophically so it was time to let the M go. And since you can't find any new z3s I had to go another route

just being curious, does this mean you traded the car in to the Ford dealer with the failed subframe, who then quickly sold it to someone , or was it repaired before you traded it in?

and you certainly can refuse to answer.....
    When it failed it was in January. I ordered my stang in March meanwhile I had the BMW rewelded by a friend who is a top notch aircraft fabricator/ welder and he fixed better than new. If I was not going to sell it I would have had mister Forbes fix installed. My friend is good enough he can literally weld to pop cans together in a nice clean bead with no holes. The can test used to determine the best aircraft welders and where they'd work in the old days. The M was in good shape I just got tired of endless repairs. Then I traded it in in May, for the tax savings. I had just rebuilt the cooling system in December, and lots of other problems kept poppingg up as long add I owned it, it made it silly to keep throwing money at it. When I could something nicer an newer for less.

Thanks I love the looks of the gt/cs, it's so comfy compared to the m it just really surprised me. Now I just need to install by bassani exhaust this weekend and perhaps down the road a 2.3 or 2.9L whipple
    Last edited by L8APEX M; 05-23-2014 at 12:07 AM.
    - Dwight D. Eisenhower

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmushial View Post
    This is a painfully real problem that bimmer is going to have to solve, or go tits up... right now they're selling everything than can make into the new rich far east, mostly as status symbols... but then's the reality that when that boom passes, they have a lot of existing customers that are looking elsewhere. Will be interesting to see how the new Z3 does: brand T will produce the coupe version and bimmer the roadie version (so the rumor mill says). But with the level of (reliability) expectation set by brand H and T, which will sell more/better. I've posted here before, the number of "had a bimmer, will never make that mistake again" people that I continue to run into... as much as a Z is a fun car to own, but there will be a bmw in the future to make them... kind of like Lotus of the 70's - there were a few dedicated owners, but if they hadn't gone to brand T motors etc, they'd be entirely toast today. ... my impression is that in fact Lotus is a more reliable brand than BMW today. Will BMW learn, learn in time?
    And that's why I bought a VW Jetta for 20k. BMW pricing is ridiculous. If I could get a base 228i for $22-24 there's no way I wouldn't have. I've owned some sort of BMW for over 10 years but it's just not cost effective. I'll always have an older model in my garage though but new ones are way too expensive for what you get at then entry prices. And on a side note they don't care about you and I and your everyday enthusiast.
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    2019 Camaro 2SS 1LE M6
    Yeesh... I guess it says a lot about the improvements that Furd has made to the Mustang since the 60's when it was an economy ox-cart if you're able to go from an M Roadster to a Stang and still be happy... It'll take a few more "evolutions" of the mustang before I could ever see myself making this kind of a change.

My Cars
    '14 Ford Mustang GT/CS
    The S197 was a quantum leap.If you haven't driven a BOSS 302 or even a GT with the coyote 5.0 it's hard to understand how well the cars are designed. They are stout and even when compared to the M3 their handling is awesome, you'd never know there was a live axle unless you hit a serious bump while cornering. The glass roof has made it where I don't really miss the convertible. The roadie was fun but the mustang is much more refined and caters to enthusiasts. Sadly bmw seems to of given up on enthusiasts.
    If bmw would throw us a bone as our z3s are over 12 years old. And many don't have much left in them. Now if there was a new Z3 M roadster, a drivers car, not the overly plush z4. That captured the same spirit of the original roadster I think it's be a hit.
    I use to race pickups so the Mustang while bigger than the roadie, feels at home. The s197
    Is just a great platform.
    - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast