Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gert Box!

My Cars
    89 525iA RIP, 90 525I

Gert Box!

Hi Everyone!
    This was my Christmas present to myself. Gert has come up with an interface to display sensor reading on the dash Check Control display. I already had the sensors wired in to VDO gauges in the center console so the rewire wasstraight forward.

I wired the phone switch on the wiper stalk to toggle the output from the Gert box. Pressing the OBC switch on the turn signal stalk switches back to the OBC output. If you get a signal from the OBC like low temp or a CC warning it will display automatically. Clearing the CC returns to the Gert box output to the CC.

This truely the coolest, most OE like add-on I have ever seen that was not from the factory.

So what do you guys think?

Gert has some 2 sensor boards built and if there is interest he said he could have some 4 channel boards built. PM me if interested and I'll send his contact info.
    Last edited by E34x2; 01-13-2011 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Grammer

My Cars
    E21, E24, E34, E46
    Awesome! I didn't realize he had a new box out. The one I have displays oil temp and pressure only, and displays them simultaneously. I have yet to install it.
    Last edited by Layne; 01-13-2011 at 10:59 PM.

My Cars
    92 535i Touring, 02 X5
    nice, pm'ed

My Cars
    Too Many
    Is there more info somewhere?

I've really wanted oil temp, and pressure for quite a while, but didn't want aftermarket gauges.

My Cars
    1990 535i
    ^^^ Yeah more info...

Earlier this year I was reading somewhere about some guy hacking the obc, I wonder if this is him, if so he was documenting it on a forum, if this is so, what forum or thread?

My Cars
    bf.c e34 contour
    I posted in that thread a while back.

but that one needed a pc to provide the input.

This is a really cool idea.

My Cars
    F30 320i/6, E46 328i/5
    Wow, I'm rather speechless. I need one of these (with 4+ inputs) immediately. PM'ed for more info.
    It's ALL ball bearings nowadays!

My Cars
    e46 M3, e70 3.0si
    Such a cool mod!
    Present: '01 e46 m3, '07 e70 X5 3.0si
    Past: '95 e34 - m52 swapped, e38 740i

My Cars
    89 525iA RIP, 90 525I
    PM's replied to.
    The Gert box is configured to use VDO temp sensors like the oil temp sensor used in VW GTI's etc. All sensors are variable resistors to ground, I got mine from the local salvage yard for less that $1 each. They are 300 degree sensors that max at 180 Ohm's. Gert has calibration tables for VDO 5 bar and 10 bar pressure sensors which ever you chose. Summit has the best prices I've seen on the VDO pressure sensors.

I used a sandwich oil cooler adapter (modified) under my oil filter for the pressure and temp sensor mounting (M20 engine). Gert used a modified oil filter lid for his m70 to mount his sensors. For trans temp I tapped into the cooler line from the trans with a simple brass elbow drilled and tapped for temp sensor and a ground wire. For the differential I plan to drill and tap the rear cover or possibly the drain plug but that will wait till warmer weather.

The "box" is ~4" x ~2" x ~1" in size. Wires are connected to the box via DB9 connector. I used a old computer serial cable to make the connections. I have mine installed on the ledge of the glovebox behine where the flashlight plugs in. Completely hidden when the glove box is closed but accessible if I need to. Once you figure out how you want to install your sensors the rest is easy. The box connects to the cluster with two wires, one is the signal to the CCM and the other is an interupt signal. If you have a later model car you can connect this to the signal from the radio. Gert has well documented instructions that cover everything very well.

Had I not had the un-used switch on the wiper stalk I would have put in a relay and micro switch so I could toggle the OBC switch on the turnsignal stalk. If I ever get my headlight washers installed I will likely make that modification.

As a side note this was developed for Gerts E32 but it works on either model. One warning, very early version E34's with V1 cluster don't work as of yet. I replaced my cluster with a V2 from a later production 1990 and it works fine. Gert has my old cluster to find out what the differences are. My car is a very early production 89 (10/88) which had the V1 cluster.

Cheers.
    Last edited by E34x2; 01-14-2011 at 01:01 AM.

My Cars
    E34, E368
    Awesome! Will PM later for more info, would love to have this capability.

My Cars
    Na
    Link to buy? Price?

What about wiring, you should do a DIY! I've wanted oil temp and pressure for AAAAAGES.

Plus, where would the diff temp sensor go?
    "...there’s nothing like the scream of an old straight six, a sound only comparable to a monster that eats children and rocks for breakfast and howls like a banshee when the loud-pedal is mashed." - Mike Burroughs

My Cars
    1995 525i 5spd
    SWEET!! +1 for more info on price, etc. and DIY pics!

My Cars
    89 525iA RIP, 90 525I
    PM contact information...

I'll try and get some pics of the wiring and install posted this weekend. As I mentioned, sorting out sensor location/install that works best for your application is what takes the most time. I used trailer wiring (4 color wire bundle) and split the lines to the sensors. This made keeping track of the wires easy and I figured the trailer wire would hold up well to the harsh conditions. Also I could pull the wires in a single bundle.

Regarding the diff sensor, we are suppose to have some warmer weather this weekend and I hope to have a chance to work on that. First choice for me is to drill and tap the center of the drain plug for the sensor install. If there is not enough space I will look into drill and tap the rear cover.

Stay tuned....

My Cars
    Na
    Sweet! So amped on this!

Also, I didnt realize you're only 5 hours south of me across the boarder! Sweetness!
    "...there’s nothing like the scream of an old straight six, a sound only comparable to a monster that eats children and rocks for breakfast and howls like a banshee when the loud-pedal is mashed." - Mike Burroughs

My Cars
    90 535i,300sd(the tank)
    click to sub for later

My Cars
    1995 BMW 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by kesslerbmw View Post
    Is there more info somewhere?

I've really wanted oil temp, and pressure for quite a while, but didn't want aftermarket gauges.
    Right there with you.

My Cars
    89 525iA RIP, 90 525I
    Got a message from Gert, here is a link to more info on Shoguns web site.
    http://twrite.org/shogunnew/upgrades&fun/gauges.html

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    yep, Gert asked me if I can add the stuff on my website and his contact address, so I added it, as it is really a nice 'gimmick' and Gert is a honest guy which helps the E34 and E32 community really a lot.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    99 R1100RT
    Damn! That's pretty cool.
    1999 BMW R1100RT
    2005 MC C230K Sport
    2007 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71
    2010 Chevy Tahoe LT2

My Cars
    8/88 750iL
    Here's my story of installation, etc:

Put it in a nice little box and hid it away behind the IHKA

Ran a 1 amp fuse through the power to the board, just in case..also as an easy way to cut power to it if I want

Soldered and heatshrinked power, ground, LAC & DAC. Ran each sensor lead through a variable resistor to ground to confirm the board will do what it should

Success!

I ran the wires through the firewall (used the hole for clutch reservoir line) to the oil cannister area..I've yet to install and connect the sensors
    Last edited by paulmer; 01-15-2011 at 12:11 AM.

1989 BMW 750iL (prod 08/88) (vin: 2768675)
    Gone but not forgotten: 1994 BMW 740iL (prod 10/11/1993) (vin: *DE89667) 6spd swap, 2001 BMW 740i Sport

My Cars
    89 525iA RIP, 90 525I
    Well I got the diff sensor installed today. I removed the fill plug, borred out the center and welded a nut on the head of the fill plug. The sensor threads into the nut and the nut is used to torque the fill plug. The drain plug might give a better reading but I didn't want the sensor hanging out.

I ran the wire up through the floor of the trunk floor above the axle and routed up to the gert box. Here is what my Gert box looks like, Note this was a prototype and subject to change.

To get an accurate reading from the diff sensor you need to run a seperate ground wire to the diff housing, do to it's rubber mounts isolating the diff from the chassis.

Last edited by E34x2; 01-15-2011 at 11:57 PM. Reason: images

My Cars
    E34, E60
    For the oil pressure do you need any extra sensor?

My Cars
    Na
    I just noticed you said that the box wont work with V1 early model e34s mines a 02/89.

I'll have to find another cluster... crap

My Cars
    89 525iA RIP, 90 525I
    Quote Originally Posted by gcb View Post
    For the oil pressure do you need any extra sensor?
    Yes, you will need a separate oil pressure sensor and temp sensor. As your engine is an M50 maybe one of the M50 guy's can shed some light on adding a pressure sensor. My M20 uses a spin on oil filter so adding an adapter was easy.

Quote Originally Posted by bmwwheelman View Post
    I just noticed you said that the box wont work with V1 early model e34s mines a 02/89.

I'll have to find another cluster... crap
    Maybe not. I sent Gert my old cluster so he could figure out what the differences are. He is working on changing the code so the V1 cluster will work, according to his last e-mail looks like he may have it working.

Stay tuned....
    Last edited by E34x2; 01-16-2011 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    750 IL 1990
    Thanks to E34x2 sending me and old cluster I am starting get insight in the timing requirements of the older cluster.

I have the gray backed cluster now playing nicely with the OBC and my interface. What I would like to check is how well it work with a radio that also send messages to the cluster.
    edit: and now on youtube video... [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zom2P6j5rk[/ame]
    The flickering of the display when showing radio info is partly because of the radio and partly because the radio does not like the graybacked cluster timing signals either. I don't feel so bad now.

I salvaged 2 radio's from a 1994 740 and a 1995 540/6sp. I just have to find the darn code numbers now. (the 740 was sold). I also am in need of a plug that fits on the back of the radio. Anybody parting a car that could cut me off this connector with a sufficient long pigtail to tie in with my cluster/obc/interface loop??
    Last edited by rv8flyboy; 01-18-2011 at 02:24 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast