Thread: Convertible top binds

My Cars
    2002 325Ci Convertible

Convertible top binds

I have a 2002 325Ci convertible. Today when I open the top I heard a strange metal sound, but couldn't figure where it was coming from. When I got home the top won't close all the way. I realized that is was binding on the driver side. The front piston has a "U" joint at the end which is supposed to cradle around a bin. I have attached a picture of the joint so you know where the problem is. I had to unscrew the bottom of the piston and maneuver the "U' joint over the pin. Not sure what the problem is at this point the piston?
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    2002 325Ci Cabriolet
    Quote Originally Posted by slabadie View Post
    I have a 2002 325Ci convertible. Today when I open the top I heard a strange metal sound, but couldn't figure where it was coming from. When I got home the top won't close all the way. I realized that is was binding on the driver side. The front piston has a "U" joint at the end which is supposed to cradle around a bin. I have attached a picture of the joint so you know where the problem is. I had to unscrew the bottom of the piston and maneuver the "U' joint over the pin. Not sure what the problem is at this point the piston?
    That is a very common spot for a wiring harness failure. If your's has been repaired, the wiring harness may not be in the channel.

My Cars
    2002 325Ci Convertible
    I supposed that it might be the harness, but the issue I am having is the piston "U" joint is not aligned in the correct place anymore.