Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tibs Update

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster

Tibs Update

This is my build/update thread it will document the changes updates upgrades and improvements to my 2000 Imola Red M Roadster.

Tib

Update time:

Its been about 6 weeks since I got my 00 M Roadster

The first thing I noticed was the howl of the tensioner pulley and the trunk was wet. Passenger side tail light full of water and broke bulbs. Central locking system did not work, no headlights (missing bulbs), and the air bag light on. (Stock stereo did not light up either)

Oh my what did I get my self in to?

We backed the roady off the truck WD40’ed the pulley and took it for a drive, praying the tensioner would not give up on my first drive. The ride was a lil ruff on the way to a gas station. Filled it up and off to home we go. After a few miles the tires must of rounded out. All of the harshness seemed to get less and less. Soon the the tires were warm and the lil roady felt totally different. Becoming more comfortable with the car I push harder. The smile grew, and I knew I was keeping it FOREVER!

Upon getting home I started ordering parts to change out 100% of the belts and tensioners. (all the parts and the fan tool for under $200.00.) Gave the car a good bath and started addressing the leaks. (The leaks were probably not a big issue in Florida but in Washington State it is) changed the taillight seals and the 3rd brake light seal too. Top leaked at the driver’s front pillar that was an easy adjustment.

It is clear that the last few years of this BMW’s Life it has lacked some love.

The central Locking system had a blow 25 amp fuse fount that the fuel flapper was not locking, the rubber bump stopper was missing and the pin could not push into the hole for it,. Replaced the bump stop @ 60 cents and the system works fine.

I put a aftermarket Kenwood stereo in to fix the lack of tunes.

Well the M Roadster is everything I dreamed she would be. Yes there are lots of lil things I think she needs. Rims Powder coated being one of the first things.

After diving the Roady for 6 weeks I would never take the CF Vented hood off it makes my lil Roady look very distinctive.

Prior to the arrival of the car there was some discussion of the CF hood and aftermarket lights could be a indication of a front impact I find no evidence there was any front damage. The core support is perfect as is the front bumper horns. The M Roadster buyers guide said “It looks like theres a big scuff on the driver door, but there are not any great photos of it to see exactly what it is.” I would like to say that it was a magnetic decal.

Sorry the update was so slow to come. Working lots of hrs and have lil time to enjoy driving the roady much at the moment. The driving I have had time to do has been the most fun I have had in years.

Tib

PS: all pictures were from the day of delivery
    Last edited by Tib; 09-06-2013 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Bold and underline the header

Terry F. is offline ONLY BMW Content is + Moderator
    My Cars
    M-Roadster
    Hi Tib,

Thanks for the update. I like the hood, good to hear you are keeping it. Have you considered painting the side gills back to red?

That list wasn't too bad, I think you made a sound purchase.

Best,
    Terry

Stuff. I got stuff.

My Cars
    2002 Smurf Hearse
    Are the side grilles the carbon fiber replicas? I've seen photos of them uninstalled before, but never actually mounted. It's the first time of seen those kidney grilles. Are they CF as well?
    jeremy [AT] coupecartel [DOT] com

1 of 1 | 2002 Laguna Seca Blue/Black M Coupe | LK61201
    "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.."

My Cars
    368Lawnmower/e90Tractor
    looks good just needs some TLC.. it would look perfect if the hood was adjusted down to meet the sides of the fascia..I had the same problem with my carbon hood and adjusted the front to meet the bumper like oem but the sides under the gills still pertain a gap.. almost makes me want to go back to oem

My Cars
    02 M Coupe, 07 A3 S-Line
    Quote Originally Posted by Tib View Post
    The M Roadster buyers guide said “It looks like theres a big scuff on the driver door, but there are not any great photos of it to see exactly what it is.” I would like to say that it was a magnetic decal.
    Looking good! I'm glad it was just a decal

2002 Steel Gray over Imola Red M Coupe

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3 2.8
    I kind of like those side gills!
    -Brian

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    “I was going to mention the seatbelt clip, but it looks like your car has had some sort of repair already. I'd like to see a closeup of that”

Yes it has been changed to stitched leather and snaps love the mod here are pics

The side gills and the kidney shaped grills are CF.

lol these tires are beast in the warm dry but in the rain…..

When I have the car all detailed I will post good pictures

Tib

again plz note all pics represent the car on arrival.
    Last edited by Tib; 06-24-2013 at 07:01 PM.

My Cars
    95 240SX|98 Z3M|05 Elise
    I like the CF hood, but like the other poster said, if you could close that gap it would look much better. The vents look cool IMO.

I'm confused about the magnetic decal... It's not on the car when it's sitting on the trailer? Totally lost on that one...

I am definitely a fan of that seat belt guide fix. Looks like it could have been factory.

You will not regret this car! You might spend a more money on it than you planned, but that's mostly because you are about to be in love (if you aren't already)!

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarceas View Post
    I like the CF hood, but like the other poster said, if you could close that gap it would look much better. The vents look cool IMO.

I'm confused about the magnetic decal... It's not on the car when it's sitting on the trailer? Totally lost on that one...

I am definitely a fan of that seat belt guide fix. Looks like it could have been factory.

You will not regret this car! You might spend a more money on it than you planned, but that's mostly because you are about to be in love (if you aren't already)!
    I know I can close a lot of the gap on the hood just making the proper adjustments, I hope to bodywork the fitment to 100% at some point, as my hood has been painted I dont see a reason not to make the fitment 100%.

The magnetic decal was pulled off and put in the trunk at the dealership in Florida before shipping it. its a fridge magnet now.

My Cars
    02 e367, 08 Acura TL-S
    Wow, nice purchase! You'll love it. Some of the CF is a bit much to my taste, but it certainly does distinguish you're car... I really like the hood. Enjoy working on it to get it back into a loving condition.

This also has the first non-OEM seatbelt guide fix that I find acceptable... actually, looks damn nice. I may consider something like that if mine ever break again (or, should I say WHEN they break again).

-Todd

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster

My Cars
    02 e367, 08 Acura TL-S
    The stock plastic guides are gone though, right? If so, I'm digging it.

-Todd

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3 2.8
    I agree with the seat belt guide fix comments.... best looking option I have seen to date
    -Brian

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster

My Cars
    1999 Z3 MC, 2000 540it
    That's a great approach to the seat belt guide issue. The only thing i would do different is make a slot in the removable part for the belt to run through.
    That way all the ware is on the replaceable part.

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by SGs54MC View Post
    Could you post more pics of the hood? Maybe open, close up, and louvres/vents. A lot of us have looked into getting this type of hood, but it's hard to find many examples in use. Fitment is supposedly questionable, but aside from maybe riding a little high - it looks sharp.

I can see the trim is CF, but is the hood CF or fiberglass? Looks like it takes the stock latches as well.

Any chance it has the manufacturer's label on it?
    The hood was made by "devil did it custom" its 100% Carbon fiber and I don't think they are still around. (I am not aware of anyone that makes my hood in CF anymore) Yes it uses the stock latches and hinges. I am not impressed with the CF Grills and Gills and I will put stock ones back on the car. I have the stock head lights and I prefer the aftermarket ones for driving at night in the rain. At some point I will start working on the fitment and paint issues of the hood and hardtop... The black hardtop is good enough for the moment.

My first item of business was to find a hardtop.
    Then I needed to address the pealing pain on the wheels (I am surprised not one comment on chroming my roadstars)

The Next thing is for me, I want the sub to work again and sort the rest of the sound system. I have a new HK sub amp and the Kicker CVT6.5 but I fear the rest of the speakers need to be replaced too.

Its a slow process to erase 80k miles from a car.
    Last edited by Tib; 07-16-2013 at 04:31 AM.

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster

Toon Time

Well with the rims out of the way it was time to get to a new project...

Music is next on the list

After reading all of the threads about the sub upgrade I ordered the CVT6.5 4ohm off Amazon almost 6 months ago and now looking at how hard it is to find one I am very glad I did.

1. First I replaced the stock HK sub amp as mine was bad, found one on e-bay.

2. I did the Custom Carving and Filing on the CVT6.5, filled the stock sub box with pink insulation and siliconed the 4 original holes. (Thank you to all the many ppl that have documented this upgrade! Very easy to do and works like a dream)

3. My original plan was to get the BSW Phase 1 upgrade and make my system whole again. Its sounded like a hemorrhaging phonograph as long as I have had the car. (I should of asked about the sound system when I bought it but... it slipped my mind) A friend of mine came over when I was putting in the amp and sub and said he had just bought a set of 5.25" and 4" kickers that match my sub. He then offered to help me put them in and see how they sound. He had just sold the car they were going to go in.

We had tunes Kicken about in no time. I have to say "IT SOUNDS GREAT" I am by any means a music connoisseur and County, Classic rock and 80's pop sounds great to me at 70 mph top down. I used the install instructions from the BSW website to get to and replace all of the speakers. the door speaks were fine and I did not have to take the door panels off. we will look at them more closely when I change the window glides later this fall or winter.

My Cars
    z3
    I can almost guarantee there was a front end collision at some point in time based on the hood misalignment. Maybe the rear too, rear bumper isnt sitting correctly.

Just my .02, it really doesnt matter but the panel gap has a story to tell to anyone willing to listen

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    ROFL its a "CARBON-FIBER HOOD" They never fit.

I have yet to see any CF hood that fits right. Unfortunately I like the aggressive look of the hood vents and have my heart set on getting the CF hood to make a OEM fitment. I will put the stock grills and gills back in the hood. If I can not get a 100% OEM fitment it will get a OEM hood again.

The paint is far from perfect and now I have a hardtop that will need to be color matched to the car. replace the black rag-top with the factory red one, and I want to get a Hammon rear defuser, spoiler and the sill airfoils before I get ready to repaint it. I am sure it will get a door dent or 2 and a few more rock chips before it gets paint because its just so much fun to drive.

- - - Updated - - -

a few more pictures

Last edited by Tib; 01-10-2015 at 12:41 AM. Reason: correct broken links

My Cars
    Z3M Coupe & Roadster
    How does the hood hold at high speeds? A lot of vibration?

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by jajou318 View Post
    How does the hood hold at high speeds? A lot of vibration?
    I have never noticed any vibration at any speed. I drive it at highway speeds every day 75mph, and have had it over 125mph a few times. I don't think it moves around any more than the stock hood on My Friends Z3 3.0.

The biggest Issue I have with the hood is the fact it does not have the rectangular holes needed to put the windshield washer heads back on.

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    It looks like you'll take very good care of her. Enjoy!
    Mods: Whalen seat bushings/Glove box fix/LeatherZ arm rest/
    Washington state Z's area rep.

My Cars
    M Coupe & i3
    Quote Originally Posted by Tib View Post

I took my '01 3.0i Z3 to Mt. St. Helens a few years back (Multiple times). That's a very fun drive!
    i3 & Z3 M Coupe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast