Page 62 of 62 FirstFirst ... 12375253545556575859606162
Results 1,526 to 1,544 of 1544

Thread: E46 330i Automatic - M54B30 Turbo

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by vollosso View Post
    There was just zero access there between the inlet pipe or filter, compressor, and subframe. The coupler ended up being non-remove-able. It was nice as I could flex or rotate the pipe but it was basically permanent.

Oh and at some point I clocked the turbo a bit and the coupler was touching the block and was even more permanent
    Thanks for the insight.

I'll be sure to make sure it's accessible....

Quote Originally Posted by Def View Post
    This can happen much MUCH quicker than that. If there’s a sharp bend on the inlet pipe right in front of the compressor, the total pressure distortion across the compressor face can make each blade flex a small amount during each revolution. At 150k+ RPM, you can go well into the billions of cycles in a relatively short time. Aluminum also has no endurance limit (plateau of fatigue strength), so it WILL eventually fail when subjected to cyclical loading.
    I'm going to assume that Forced Performance has engineered this part not to be a problem. The specific type of turbo that I'm using is mostly used in max-effort drag cars, and I've never heard of failure. Precision on the other hand.....

Def is offline Lead Disagreement Eng PE
    My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    You'd be surprised at how many details small design houses miss...

That said, the compressor distortion thing I mentioned is an installation controlled issue - doesn't have anything to do with the turbo design itself. (Compressor distortion is the change in pressure across the face of the compressor wheel, sharp turn before compressor = area of low pressure on one side, area of higher pressure on the other).

I'm sure the turbo will be just fine, it's just interesting to me that two companies arrived at such different designs in a critical area for maximum stress. Just the stress analyst in me puzzling what drove them down such different paths.

My Cars
    Depends on the day
    Such a crazy build to read through and then to see in person. The attention to detail is phenomenal!!! Can't wait to see the next bit of progress!

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovitt View Post
    Such a crazy build to read through and then to see in person. The attention to detail is phenomenal!!! Can't wait to see the next bit of progress!
    Thanks!

There's not much going on this week with the car. I tore apart the shop today; changing the layout and getting rid of more stuff that I don't use much.

My parts cleaner for example is just a surface to stack things on since I stopped messing with automatic transmissions...

I've also convinced myself I need less shelving, and better control of what goes on them.

The bench on the end is now gone....it just attracted piles of stuff.....and I've now got a wall of shelves.

I'm also getting rid of one of my stainless topped work benches....same problem as above.

The irony to all of this is that once I get the shop cleaned up, I'm going to move the car back inside to start gutting it...and there will be parts everywhere again! At least I can plan the storage for that now....

My Cars
    turbo m3
    Quote Originally Posted by Def View Post
    I've never seen a fillet radius selected solely to get a slight decrease in machine time. It has a very real impact on maximum stress on a part like this (blades loaded in bending).

I think it probably speaks to Garrett having a more conservative engineering approach, or even having people familiar with durability-limited turbomachinery stress analysis on staff.
    So, it definitely seems like you have plenty of knowledge or at least some very good theory...
    But, I’m ignorant. What is the main cause for this? Just peak compressor wheel RPM?

To Adam:

Kicking butt like you have been since I first joined the forum and read your whole nitrous build!

I can see what you mean about injector angle once you explained it.

My Cars
    Depends on the day
    Quote Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post

The irony to all of this is that once I get the shop cleaned up, I'm going to move the car back inside to start gutting it...and there will be parts everywhere again! At least I can plan the storage for that now....

That is not fun, my garage was full of stuff when I tore down the 330xi that I had. Couldn't believe how much stuff they actually have packed into these cars.

My Cars
    2001 330i
    I get a little carried away sometimes....

https://youtu.be/XMICcW-DOU4

My Cars
    Depends on the day

Hahhaha LOVE IT!!! And not that's not a play on my name....lol

My Cars
    Makes whoosh noises

i-need-nos.jpg

1000+RWHP, Lab22 Built Turbo S54 - BMW Half Mile Record Holder

My Cars
    2001 330i
    I have started a new thread to detail the next round of major revisions to the 330i:

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...g-Race-Project

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    Since this is more relevant to this thread- When you began, and tore the engine down for the first time- Where did you get the turbo piping from the first time around? I'm considering turbo options, and I'd love to find bottom mount options. I'm looking for downpipe/ intercooler pipings.
    Keep it simple: half gutted '01 330i, welded diff, BC coils, SLR Super kit

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by awp235 View Post
    Since this is more relevant to this thread- When you began, and tore the engine down for the first time- Where did you get the turbo piping from the first time around? I'm considering turbo options, and I'd love to find bottom mount options. I'm looking for downpipe/ intercooler pipings.
    I started with a bolt-on kit from Technique Tuning

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    I started with a bolt-on kit from Technique Tuning
    Now that you're much more experienced in the ways of turbocharging an m54, are you still happy you originally went that route? Their kit seems expensive compared to what I could piece together/ get from RK tunes. But I'm having trouble figuring out how to piece together a bottom mount kit.

On the other hand.. any chance you still have/ are looking to sell that kit sans turbo and tuning?
    Keep it simple: half gutted '01 330i, welded diff, BC coils, SLR Super kit

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by awp235 View Post
    Now that you're much more experienced in the ways of turbocharging an m54, are you still happy you originally went that route? Their kit seems expensive compared to what I could piece together/ get from RK tunes. But I'm having trouble figuring out how to piece together a bottom mount kit.

On the other hand.. any chance you still have/ are looking to sell that kit sans turbo and tuning?
    I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

It's well thought out, the components are good quality, and Nick's support of my various non-standard requests were stellar.

There are limits that you need to decide on up front. It's a flawless 300rwhp kit standard, and you can make over 350rwhp on the stage 2. (Head studs, and thicker gasket)

There is one big exception: I don't know if Nick sells the kit anymore. I haven't seen any new owners in quite some time....

If you are looking for between 400 and 500hp, you would need to look at a different turbo and injector option. (As well as a tune) I've never looked at what RK tunes is offering, but I have spoke to him on the phone one time, and he was extremely knowledgeable.

I've sold 80% of the kit components, all that remains is the charge pipe work. Technically, I have everything from the turbo inlet to the throttle body, along with couplers and clamps. If you are interested in buying this, please PM me. I'll be back in Canada in 2 weeks and can produce images of everything at that time.

My Cars
    2001 bmw 330xi

Help rebuild

Hey where did you get your all your parts from

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by KDaniels17 View Post
    Hey where did you get your all your parts from
    That's a pretty broad question.

I would say in total, probably 20-30 different vendors.

What specifically are you interested in purchasing?

My Cars
    E36 Turbo, E39 M5
    Sorry to go back in time on this but when you rebuilt the auto yourself and used the upgraded friction discs and more line pressure did it hold the 15 psi?

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by E36 328is View Post
    Sorry to go back in time on this but when you rebuilt the auto yourself and used the upgraded friction discs and more line pressure did it hold the 15 psi?
    No, it did not.

If I were to do it again, I would probably have put the $$ into a TH400 conversion.

- - - Updated - - -

That's a pretty broad question.

I would say in total, probably 20-30 different vendors.

What specifically are you interested in purchasing?

Why do I bother....

I've been burned so many times by people that are "serious", that I feel like a fool for responding. There's always hope that the next guy might actually DO something though...

14 years later, I'm still here doing it.

My Cars
    98 m3
    Why do I bother....

I've been burned so many times by people that are "serious", that I feel like a fool for responding. There's always hope that the next guy might actually DO something though...

14 years later, I'm still here doing it.
    I feel you there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1989 535i - sold
    1999 M3 Tiag/Dove - sold
    1998 M3 Turbo Arctic/black - current
    2004 Built motor TiAg/Black - Sold
    2008 E61 19T Turbo-Wagon - current
    2011 E82 135i - S85 Swap - current
    1998 M3 Cosmos S54 swapped Sedan - current

1998 Turbo: PTE6870 | 1.15 ar | Hp Cover, Custom Divided T4 bottom-mount, 3.5" SS exhaust, Dual Turbosmart Compgates, Turbosmart Raceport BOV, 3.5" Treadstone Intercooler, 3.5" Vibrant resonator and muffler, Arp 2k Headstuds | Arp 2k Main studs | 87mm Je pistons | Eagle rods | 9.2:1 static compression, Ces 87mm cutring, Custom solid rear subframe bushings, Akg 85d diff bushings, 4 clutch 3.15 diff, , Poly engine mounts, UUC trans mounts W/ enforcers, 22RPD OBD2 Stock ECU id1700 E85 tune, 22RPD Big power Transmission swap w/ GS6-53

Page 62 of 62 FirstFirst ... 12375253545556575859606162