Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DIY: Mesh Lower Grill Cover

My Cars
    1999 BMW 528i Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesdc4 View Post
    You could also heat the mesh up with a hair dryer or the like before installation.
    That's an excellent idea, I could use it to heat up my hands too in the process.

I think I'll stick with the aluminum idea, if I can find a good piece of mesh. If the plastic breaks from tightening a wire tie, I'm not sure how much it will protect against anything bouncing into it off the road. I do like the aesthetics of the mesh, but I'd like some functionality as well.

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Quote Originally Posted by njgilligan View Post
    That's an excellent idea, I could use it to heat up my hands too in the process.

I think I'll stick with the aluminum idea, if I can find a good piece of mesh. If the plastic breaks from tightening a wire tie, I'm not sure how much it will protect against anything bouncing into it off the road. I do like the aesthetics of the mesh, but I'd like some functionality as well.
    I'm not sure if you'll end up with the same problem with the aluminum.
    When you're trimming the piece to shape, cut slightly to one side of each row, favoring an intact . If you cut right in the middle of the X, you weaken that point which will allow the zip tie to sever the more easily.
    Last edited by jamesdc4; 12-11-2010 at 02:10 AM.

My Cars
    2014 528i Xdrive
    That does look cool James, good idea!
    The Ultimate Driving Machine

My Cars
    1999 BMW 528i Sedan
    When you're trimming the piece to shape, cut slightly to one side of each row, favoring an intact . If you cut right in the middle of the X, you weaken that point which will allow the zip tie to sever the more easily.
    Good point. Thanks for the tip.

I found some stuff online at home depot, but haven't had a chance to check it out/pick it up.

By the way, how do you type diamonds?

Good point. Thanks for the tip.

I found some stuff online at home depot, but haven't had a chance to check it out/pick it up.

Last edited by njgilligan; 12-12-2010 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    MY02 530iA Sprt, '95 911
    Crafty...must add this to my to do list.
    Ken

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Quote Originally Posted by njgilligan View Post
    I used the character map.

My Cars
    1997 528i Montreal Blue
    You have several options on mesh. You may want to consider a roll of mesh used for home gutter covers. You should have options of plastic and aluminum mesh.

I think it is important to consider the material's durability and ability top forgive abuse, i.e., road debris could rip plastic, but it would dent-in aluminum. Which is easier for you to replace?

You can buy black poly (plastic), however painting raw aluminum black is going to present adhesion problems.

Don't forget that the smaller the holes, the greater the restriction on air flow (cooling) because per square inch there is less open space.
    Having Understanding is far superior to having only Knowledge. Take time to understand!

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimania View Post
    You have several options on mesh. You may want to consider a roll of mesh used for home gutter covers. You should have options of plastic and aluminum mesh.
    From post #1 of this thread:
    Tools Needed

Wire cutters
    Black Vinyl Gutter Gaurd
    Pack of 4" Zip (wire) Ties
    Electric Drill
    9/64 Drill Bit
    Get the black vinyl instead of the aluminum shown.

(Photo courtesy 12CoolDude)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12