Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SQUATTING on FKs finally full install pics

My Cars
    530i, 325es

SQUATTING on FKs finally full install pics

so my cars dirrty i know but you guys wanted the pics sooo bad so i had to post... so i initially got a set of FK coils from ECS... they sent me the wrong set... some 540 ones.... so as for spring rates and weight the 530/540 have similar weights... but they have different components cause of the steering system... so i when i got my stuff off i had some issues one being i had taken all the stuff off and they didnt fit... well the fronts fit but not really...

well all said and done i finished the install this weekend at a buddys house... for all i know im the first to be sporting the FKs on BFc..

before the final istall with my sports struts and springs in the rear... ncie stance but the rear could be squatting more....

well im not 100% with the stance but i will finalize it in a week or two after driving... i need the stuff to settle before i do any more adjusting...

here they are

so this was before the first adjustment... the rear was really low like tucking tire and rubbing a bit... too low for me

so the front is still high or the rear is too low... not feelin it but ill ride like this till i go and adjust...

so some side notes for those doing coilovers...
    one thing is the rears generally you will use old parts as they are usually still in great shape... its great to have an extra hand for the a suspension install
    but all in all i have some great tips...
    so most people will use coilovers without making their car a 4x4 generally not use the top threads in general so why get crap all over them... so i was thinking maybe ill get some tape and cover them... and a local memeber gave me the idea to use teflon tape... you know the stuff you use on the treads of pipes... i was like great idea... and even if you cover all the threads its a good idea as you can adjust even with the tape on there... forget all the sprays and stuff...
    heres a pics of said wrapped coilover with teflon tape

heres my contribution yall hope i could help...

My Cars
    07/85-535i5 01/99-540i6
    thanks duck, great tips. and it looks good fully tucked in
    (oOO\(|||)(|||)/OOo) /00=[][]=00\

My Cars
    530i, 325es
    the most pain the ass part is putting your fender liners back in as well as the tube that goes to your gas tank... as for the fender liner quick tips that i noticed worked was ....
    align the front side cause its gonna need to screw in to the liner to the front spoiler type of thing... it tucks in so align the holes and tuck it in then with your foot... while on your back push up on the liner in the middle and it will slide in... and click in...

My Cars
    E46+E36 M3
    Nice! Ya Fender liners were a pain when I did mine too!
    AW|Byzanz

My Cars
    boosted e39
    nice....

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Hey Quack!
    Looks very good!
    How does it ride though????

Did you have to use a spring compressor?

Did you need to take off the tie rod, using a ball joint separator?

Thanks!
    Jason

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    530i, 325es
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason5driver View Post
    Hey Quack!
    Looks very good!
    How does it ride though????

Did you have to use a spring compressor?

Did you need to take off the tie rod, using a ball joint separator?

Thanks!
    Jason
    it rides ok... alot rougher out back... but like i said stuff needs to settle... i did use a compressor to take off the rear hats.. they go on the new rear struts... as well as the bumps stops that have been cut...
    i didnt take off the tie rod you dont need to... i just took off the strut with a 21mm wrench poped it off and pulled it forward so it tilts down... had a buddy of mine step on the rotor then it slid out easily... the coilovers are shorter than oem so the reverse process was backwards as what i just said but easier cause the length of the assembly

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Quote Originally Posted by quacktoduck View Post
    it rides ok... alot rougher out back... but like i said stuff needs to settle... i did use a compressor to take off the rear hats.. they go on the new rear struts... as well as the bumps stops that have been cut...
    i didnt take off the tie rod you dont need to... i just took off the strut with a 21mm wrench poped it off and pulled it forward so it tilts down... had a buddy of mine step on the rotor then it slid out easily... the coilovers are shorter than oem so the reverse process was backwards as what i just said but easier cause the length of the assembly
    Thanks Quack!

Have you tried adjusting the dampening?
    Or do these not have the adjustable dampening???

Do you still have the original tie rods and control arms?
    Original front bushings and ball joints?

So, you don't need to use a spring compressor when installing the new coil-overs, due to the shorter shaft height on the coil-overs...
    Hence, being able to just thread on the springs...

Did you use some copper based anti-seize on the thread too?
    I think you are suppose to....

You need to put the ACS wheels back on!
    Please!!!!
    LOL!

Thanks!
    Jason

My Cars
    2002 525i Sport/5
    Thanks Quack!

So, you don't need to use a spring compressor when installing the new coil-overs, due to the shorter shaft height on the coil-overs...

Please!!!!
    LOL!

Thanks!
    Jason
    You ask a lot of questions...do you know what a set of coilovers even looks like?

My Cars
    530i, 325es
    Thanks Quack!

Please!!!!
    LOL!

Thanks!
    Jason
    -no dampening adjustment...
    -im gonna do the control arms thrustarms etc when i get back from hawaii... reason i didnt need to take off the control arms or tie rods is cause the shorter distance... you do need to take off the front sway bar endlinks or atleast disconnect them... if you see that you cantits cause the front is not even and both our wheels need to be lifted off the ground...
    lastly i was taking the coiloversi had on there off that were wrong and i put in new correct coilovers so it was way easier... if you have the original struts and stuff it will be 500000times easier if you have a second set of hands that can step on the rotors then you wont risk the chance of hitting your car

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Quote Originally Posted by mmm635 View Post
    You ask a lot of questions...do you know what a set of coilovers even looks like?
    LOL!

No....
    I thought the OEM suspension lasts forever...
    Doooohhhh...!!!!

-no dampening adjustment...
    -im gonna do the control arms thrustarms etc when i get back from hawaii... reason i didnt need to take off the control arms or tie rods is cause the shorter distance... you do need to take off the front sway bar endlinks or atleast disconnect them... if you see that you cantits cause the front is not even and both our wheels need to be lifted off the ground...
    lastly i was taking the coiloversi had on there off that were wrong and i put in new correct coilovers so it was way easier... if you have the original struts and stuff it will be 500000times easier if you have a second set of hands that can step on the rotors then you wont risk the chance of hitting your car
    Roger that!
    Wilco!
    Pretty much what BimmerFiver has said to me as well.
    Thanks!
    Change those wheels!
    LOL!

Jason
    Last edited by Jason5driver; 12-08-2008 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    530i, 325es
    ohh as for the tread protection... use that teflon tape... lol well i used he supplied protectant... reason being is shit gets all over if you use greese dust and etc tha cant et off destroying the treads... i like my dry protectant aka teflon tape... as well as the spray protectant they gave me... my struts are stainless so im not too worried..

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    http://nclh.org/car/coilover_howto/
    The first step is to make sure you're properly lubed up (isn't it always?). Since you're probably going to be adjusting the height of these things, it's best to coat the threaded body with some anti-seize lubricant to make your life easier. Remember, these things are going to faced with salt, water, dirt, etc., so keeping things greased can always help. I applied it by moving the two height-adjustment pieces to opposite ends of the body, applying a thin layer of grease, and spinning one piece to the other side.

"Lunchlady Doris, have ye got any grease?"
    "Yes, yes we do."
    "Then grease me up, woman!!"
    Last edited by Jason5driver; 12-08-2008 at 01:55 PM.

My Cars
    530i, 325es
    lol nice but yeah im just using the protectant i got from the kit...

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    lol nice but yeah im just using the protectant i got from the kit...

Do you think I could find the teflon tape at Lowes?

Thanks!
    Jason

My Cars
    530i, 325es
    yup 99cents... im serious the best tip ever...

This is a terrific anti sieze lube. I have it in a small tube like lip stick.

A great lube LOCTITE C5-A is a copper based anti-seize which provides a shield against high temperature seizing and galling; parts remove more easily and in cleaner, better condition. 1 oz tube.
    Sold as a case (48/case). is Locktite C5-A Copper

You can find it in small quntites like my tube at 1" dia and 4" long.

Locktite will stay on the treads where the teflon tape will fall off.

Its great for wheel studs that do get hot and anything on the engine except the exhaust manifols and their bolts. For temps like that they have other lubes which will not work as good on lower temp apps.
    Last edited by franka; 12-08-2008 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Frank
    540/6

Race/Street Rubber Z1 Star, 275/35-18 Front & Rear, Eibach Sways Front & Rear, Cut and Formed OEM Sport Springs, Bilstein Sports, Go-Go-Ware, ATE disks w/SS lines & HPS pads, UUC SS, CDV, White/Tan, Bling free and Stealthy.

My Cars
    2002 525i Sport/5
    Quote Originally Posted by franka View Post
    This is a terrific anti sieze lube. I have it in a small tube like lip stick.

A great lube LOCTITE C5-A is a copper based anti-seize which provides a shield against high temperature seizing and galling; parts remove more easily and in cleaner, better condition. 1 oz tube.
    Sold as a case (48/case). is Locktite C5-A Copper

You can find it in small quntites like my tube at 1" dia and 4" long.

Locktite will stay on the treads where the teflon tape will fall off.

Its great for wheel studs that do get hot and anything on the engine except the exhaust manifols and their bolts. For temps like that they have other lubes which will not work as good on lower temp apps.
    Where did you get this copper anti-seize/lubricant from? I have been passively looking for some to use on some suspension pieces.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    I have something like this, but a gold tube, hence, copper based...
    At Auto Zone...

http://www.autozone.com/R,106021/sto...ductDetail.htm

Found this too...

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Loctite-Anti-Seize-Silver-Lubricant-tube/dp/B0006Q7H2M/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1228771020&sr= 1-8[/ame]
    Last edited by Jason5driver; 12-08-2008 at 04:21 PM.

My Cars
    2002 525i Sport/5
    At Auto Zone...

http://www.autozone.com/R,106021/sto...ductDetail.htm

Found this too...

http://www.amazon.com/Loctite-Anti-S...8771020&sr=1-8
    Thanks Jason...I have never seen it in any auto store whether in Mississippi or NoVA. In fact, the salespeople would always look at me really funny when I would ask if they carried it. Looks like I will just have to order it.

Where did you get this copper anti-seize/lubricant from? I have been passively looking for some to use on some suspension pieces.
    A Loctite rep gave it to me. Says we can buy in minimal quanties. I hven't run out so I havn't looked lately

[QUOTE=Jason5driver;14934189]I have something like this, but a gold tube, hence, copper based...
    At Auto Zone...QUOTE]

These should work equally as well on this low tech application.
    Last edited by franka; 12-08-2008 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Frank
    540/6

Race/Street Rubber Z1 Star, 275/35-18 Front & Rear, Eibach Sways Front & Rear, Cut and Formed OEM Sport Springs, Bilstein Sports, Go-Go-Ware, ATE disks w/SS lines & HPS pads, UUC SS, CDV, White/Tan, Bling free and Stealthy.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Thanks Jason...I have never seen it in any auto store whether in Mississippi or NoVA. In fact, the salespeople would always look at me really funny when I would ask if they carried it. Looks like I will just have to order it.
    Are you sure you are in the US?
    LOL!

I found this too...
    http://www.restockit.com/1-Oz-Tube-C...F1&Bvar7=100F1

My Cars
    2002 525i Sport/5
    [quote=franka;14934301]A Loctite rep gave it to me. Says we can buy in minimal quanties. I hven't run out so I havn't looked lately

At Auto Zone...QUOTE]

These should work equally as well on this low tech application.
    Thanks...if there is a possibility to get some in the future, even in a small quantity, let me know as I would be interested if the cost is reasonable. That is good stuff to have around for certain applications.

Are you sure you are in the US?
    LOL!

I found this too...
    http://www.restockit.com/1-Oz-Tube-C...F1&Bvar7=100F1
    I think I might have gotten carried away and spoke in German! Oh Scheiss!

My Cars
    540i/6,stg3 s4,c32 a
    looks good! and as far as being so concerned with protecting the threads you guys should get some shock outerwears from atv's. they cover the springs and keep water and grime out. i modified them a little and used them on my konis. easy on and off with the velcro

My Cars
    E46/E92/F82
    Looks great

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast