Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 2002 BMW M3 Convertible "noob"

My Cars
    2002 BMW M3 Convertible
    Cool mod! Any idea to where i can get my hands on these decals?
    00448645.jpg

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    That's not a decal, it is painted in. On the coupe's, the ///M is stamped into the leather headrests. IIRC they didn't do that with the vert's as the seats are all the same across the board for verts.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2002 BMW M3 Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by dworthy View Post
    That's not a decal, it is painted in. On the coupe's, the ///M is stamped into the leather headrests. IIRC they didn't do that with the vert's as the seats are all the same across the board for verts.

Oh Ok! It looks so really nice.

My Cars
    2002 BMW M3 Convertible
    well, finally i have paid dearly for not having the key fob working. The door was frozen shot. tried to open with the key and broke the door mechanism. Will drop the car at BMW of newport saturday

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Well we all learn from out mistakes, whether it is money or loss of blood! Now would be a great time to order a new key while the car is at the dealership. Also you can contact this guy to fix your current defunct key: www.bmwgm5.com
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2002 BMW M3 Convertible
    Well we all learn from out mistakes, whether it is money or loss of blood! Now would be a great time to order a new key while the car is at the dealership. Also you can contact this guy to fix your current defunct key: www.bmwgm5.com

Yes i did ordered a new key. They didn't get the door lock in yet, still waiting for it. In the meanwhile i did change the oil and the temperature oil level sensor with this one from the site that i buy the oil kit. I figure i would buy it all together and i like that site
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-bremmen-...12617508003~a/
    Everything worked and fitted nicely. But it only lasted for a few hours then the Yellow oil can appear on the dash board. But this time is solid and it stays lid. I think its because this "Bremmen" is NOT comparable with the car. So, now hopefully it will last until the next oil change so i can get a BMW OEM part
    Last edited by Benocehcap; 04-10-2016 at 10:49 AM.

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Well you can always do it like the old days: Check the oil when you fill up the gas tank.

I used a Hella on the wife's car, and 4 years later, it works just fine still. I have not needed to replace the one in the M-3 yet, but I am sure it will need to be done in the next couple of years.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

M_3_X is offline Breaking Stereotypes BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    '02 M3, '05 X3, '91 E30
    Quote Originally Posted by Benocehcap View Post
    Will drop the car at BMW of newport saturday
    Do you not have a good Indy shop close to you? All these multiple trips to the dealer are costing you a fortune...!
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
    -Mario Andretti.
    1991 E30 325ic, AW, Black leather, Black top, three pedals.

My Cars
    2002 BMW M3 Convertible
    Well,
    Today i got it all sorted. Did some quick research and found out that its pretty easy to fix the drivers door lock mechanism. It just a piece of metal that can break-off with excess use of the key to open/lock the door. The kit is found on Ebay for a few dollars.

I didn't know this, and had ordered the new key and new door cylinder from the dealer. They quoted me $600 give or take installed by them. So, today i went to have it install, but i already knew that i only needed it the new Key. Cuz my old one the battery was dead and i did cut around it to install a new Battery. still didn't work. Talked to the BMW adviser and he said that the door cylinder was coded to my key pattern. So there for i can't void the purchase. That was fine with me. Took the key and the new cylinder home and installed it myself with the help of some youtube videos. Thank you! "Youtubers"

All set and done. I only end up paying $421 for the key and new door Cylinder.

- - - Updated - - -
    Do you not have a good Indy shop close to you? All these multiple trips to the dealer are costing you a fortune...!
    I dont have anyone that i know off that know how to fix cars. I know some "Indy" shop around town, but i don't know if i can trust them or if they're any good. Im curious person, so i like to google it and find out if i can fix it myself. Because nobody does a better job on your car then urself. But I'm not that great!

My Cars
    2002 BMW M3 Convertible
    OK,
    Now I'm trying to turn on the alarm or the BMW Factory Alarm - Anti Theft Alarm System and i have no idea how too do this. Ideas? My doors lock and unlock, but if i double lock it the lights don't blink or the horn doesn't sounds, it just locks it.

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Do you know if the car came with the alarm? It was an option, and wasn't stock on the M-3's. The easiest way to find out is to do a vin pull: www.bmwvin.com If it was installed at the factory, then it would be in there.

Or you can pull out the cabin filter and look on the passanger side to see if the horn is in there.

https://getbmwparts.com/partlocator/...catalogid=4462
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2002 BMW M3 Convertible
    Do you know if the car came with the alarm? It was an option, and wasn't stock on the M-3's. The easiest way to find out is to do a vin pull: www.bmwvin.com If it was installed at the factory, then it would be in there.

Or you can pull out the cabin filter and look on the passanger side to see if the horn is in there.

https://getbmwparts.com/partlocator/...catalogid=4462
    No i dont have it. Or it didn't came with the car

Vehicle information
    VIN long ******************
    Type code ****
    Type M3 (USA)
    Dev. series E46 (C)
    Line 3
    Body type CABRIO
    Steering LL
    Door count 2
    Engine S54
    Cubical capacity 3.20
    Power 252
    Transmision HECK
    Gearbox MECH
    Colour CARBONSCHWARZ METALLIC (416)
    Upholstery TEILLEDER W.N./IMOLAROT (N5IM)
    Prod. date 2001-10-25

Order options
    No. Description
    388 SOFTTOP BLACK
    441 SMOKERS PACKAGE
    464 SKIBAG
    473 ARMREST, FRONT
    494 SEAT HEATING F DRIVER/FRONT PASSENGER
    502 HEADLIGHT WASHER SYSTEM
    521 RAIN SENSOR
    522 XENON LIGHT
    534 AUTOMATIC AIR CONDITIONING
    640 CAR TELEPHONE PREPARATION
    650 CD PLAYER
    674 HIFI LOUDSPEAKER SYSTEM HARMAN KARDON
    692 CD CHANGER I-BUS PREPARATION
    925 SHIPPING PROTECTION PACKAGE

Series options
    No. Description
    210 DYNAMIC STABILITY CONTROL (DSC)
    249 MULTI-FUNCTION FOR STEERING WHEEL
    354 GREEN STRIPE WINDSCREEN
    399 SOFTTOP OPERATION, FULLY AUTOMATIC
    431 INTERIOR RR VW MIRROR W AUT ANTI-D
    459 SEAT ADJUSTM., ELECTR. W. MEMORY
    481 SPORT SEATS F DRIVER/FRONT PASSENGER
    520 FOGLIGHTS
    550 ON-BOARD COMPUTER
    645 RADIO CONTROL US
    661 RADIO BMW BUSINESS
    710 M LEATHER STEERING WHEEL
    785 WHITE DIRECTION INDICATOR LIGHTS
    845 ACOUSTIC BELT WARNING
    853 LANGUAGE VERSION ENGLISH
    876 RADIO FREQUENCY 315 MHZ
    992 NUMBER PLATE ATTACHEMENT MANAGEMENT

I confirmed it by taking out the dome cover and saw that it was missing the motion sensor
    https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-M3-S54_3.2L/ES182914/

My Cars
    '02 M3, '05 X3, '91 E30
    I got an used siren and sensors from ebay for like $100, installed and programmed myself. Youtube is your best friend!
    -Mario Andretti.

My Cars
    2002 BMW M3 Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by M_3_X View Post
    I got an used siren and sensors from ebay for like $100, installed and programmed myself. Youtube is your best friend!

Yes it is! When it comes to finding stuff or researching Google. When you need to see how it gets down Youtube!
    Last edited by Benocehcap; 04-20-2016 at 09:04 PM.

My Cars
    skateboard
    Holy hell. Just read through this thread. I feel bad for you, OP. And have you even started looking at bushings, suspension components, valve adjustments, subframe area?

My Cars
    2002 BMW M3 Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by idriveastick View Post
    Holy hell. Just read through this thread. I feel bad for you, OP. And have you even started looking at bushings, suspension components, valve adjustments, subframe area?
    Hi there,
    The previous owner was a douchebag in my opinion. This is an expensive car to have these many issues and cosmetic damages. I did the inspection 2 at 100K which included the valve adjustments. They didn't tell me that i had any issues with the subframe or bushings. Also i don't hear any noise from it. So i think I'm ok...
    I still have the side mirrors that need attention. Cuz the glass mirrors are rusted out from faulty heating and the rearview mirror don't dim. Due to another faulty dimming system. I love that car. It really puts a smile on my face when i drive it...:P

My Cars
    skateboard
    Hi there,
    The previous owner was a douchebag in my opinion. This is an expensive car to have these many issues and cosmetic damages. I did the inspection 2 at 100K which included the valve adjustments. They didn't tell me that i had any issues with the subframe or bushings. Also i don't hear any noise from it. So i think I'm ok...
    I still have the side mirrors that need attention. Cuz the glass mirrors are rusted out from faulty heating and the rearview mirror don't dim. Due to another faulty dimming system. I love that car. It really puts a smile on my face when i drive it...:P
    No noise does not equal no issues when talking about E46 subframe area. Not to mention, you say the previous owner was a dbag because all of these issues, but they didn't tell you about any issues with the subframe area so you trust that? Makes no sense.

My Cars
    '02 M3, '05 X3, '91 E30
    Hi there,
    Also any inspection, I or II does not include checking for sub frame issues. You have to ask for it.
    -Mario Andretti.

My Cars
    2002 BMW M3 Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by idriveastick View Post
    No noise does not equal no issues when talking about E46 subframe area. Not to mention, you say the previous owner was a dbag because all of these issues, but they didn't tell you about any issues with the subframe area so you trust that? Makes no sense.

It isn't about what i trust or not. I just like to go there because their job is guarantee and with warrantee. This is my daily driving car, and i put around 500-600 mile a week on it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by M_3_X View Post
    Also any inspection, I or II does not include checking for sub frame issues. You have to ask for it.
    I will put it on the ramp this weekend if its nice out and take a look at it. Im sure that it has it! But if isn't an issue I'm not fixing it.

My Cars
    '02 M3, '05 X3, '91 E30
    Of course, if it ain't broke don' fix it. Just make sure you are looking in the right places those cracks are not easy to spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tippytappy
    -Mario Andretti.

My Cars
    2002 BMW M3 Convertible
    One thing i noticed when i was changing my trunk tail lights. One the drivers side it has a bulb for the reverse light and a bulb for the Red part of it. On the passenger side, it also has the reverse bulb light but the red part of the tail light is blocked with a metal bracket that you can't put a bulb in it. Any ideas why is that?

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Yes, that is for the Euro rear fog lamp. On the older models, they still have that, however about 06/2003 when BMW went to the all LED lamps, you could code in a new LCM with the button and make it work.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2002 BMW M3 Convertible
    Gotcha!
    thank you!

My Cars
    2002 BMW M3 Convertible
    My Xenon Light DS2 build went bad. I looked at ECS for a price quote and its around $160 BMW OEM part.
    BMW OEM
    https://www.ecstuning.com/ES174573/

Now my question is. What DS2 should i get? Or do i have to get both sides, since i don't want to have a yellowish side and a white side do to the new DS2 bulb

I have 2 DS2 bulbs from my Motorcycle headlight conversation. I used the Infinity FX35 projectors on with its OEM FX35 DS2 bulb. They still good, so can i used them on my ///M3 to save a coin ?

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Go to amazon.com and look-up the Phillips D2S bulbs, they are around 65 bucks there. As a matter of a fact, it is the OEM supplier to BMW for those bulbs. I would replace only one, as they don't tend to yellow until they are about ready to go. I wouldn't bother attempting to modify the buckets to make other bulbs work.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast