Thread: Please help! Used SZL module (Steering Angle Sensor)

My Cars
    98 528i 00 ML430

Please help! Used SZL module (Steering Angle Sensor)

Please help. Does anyone know how to use NCSExpert or WINkfp? I need to flash a used module into an E65. Basically put the Car's VIN into it. I have all the software to do the job. I just don't know how to do it. I also have INPA to clear the faults.

Please give me step by step because I am just a novice at this. TIA!

My Cars
    BMW 850 and E55 AMG
    1) Firstly make sure all your INPA stuff works
    2) Fire up NCS expert, load a profile (anything with "expert" in the title will do, there are lots of different names/versions)
    3)press F1 (FG/ZCS/FA) (aka read FG("Car") ZCS / FA (central coding key or vehicle order)
    4)press F3 (ZCS/FA f/ECU) - (read ZCS central coding key or Vehicle option order from an ECU)
    5)pick your chassis type (E65)
    6) choose CAS as the module to read the ZCS/FA from. You can also pick LMA to read it from, if in doubt, pick what is more likely to be original to you car.
    7)The should populate NCS with your VIN number and options codes. Double check this is your VIN, and make a note of the last letter at the end. This extra letter is a checksum which will show if the VIN is valid, or just a collection of jumbled letters.

Next stage-
    8)Close NCS now that you know the VIN and checksum, as you'll be needing that now.
    9)Open Tool32
    10)file>load SGBD /Group file and you'll need to pic the group file that matches your SZL. I believe it might be SZL_60 but there are also SZL and SZL_01
    11)In the Select job window, scroll down to c_fg_lesen (VIN read) and press 1*> (run once) from the header toolbar
    12)This should pop up a window which will have the 7 digit VIN number from the SZL, which won't be your VIN number
    13)Time to change the VIN. Select the job c_fg_schreiben (VIN Write) and you'll see an argument window now highlights in yellow saying what the argument should be (argument is a computer term, not really related to a human argument!)
    14)A window in the background will give details, and in this case say-
    argument : FG_NR
    type : string
    comment : Fahrgestellnummer (18-stellig)

Which means the "argument" of FG_NR (VIN NUMBER) is a string of data, and it is the VIN number (18 letters long)
    You'll notice a VIN number is 17 letters, so the extra letter is the checksum you noted down earlier.

15)Type the full VIN with the checksum digit at the end into the bar under the word "argument" and press 1*> (run once)

This should then write your new VIN to the SZL, and if you go back to the c_fg_lesen job, it should report your 7 digit short VIN.

The final stage will be to clear any errors and recalibrate the steering angle sensor with INPA, DIS, ISTA/D etc and hopefully it'll all work out fine.

Giftschrank Projekt

My Cars
    2006 E60 530i Sedan
    Thanks very much for this post, I was floundering a bit with the use of the programming tools (and scared to be honest) but the explanation in simple steps really helped me out.

I may be wrong but the checksum appears to potentially be using the LUHN10 (AKA MOD10) algorithm, I use this in my work as an IT systems engineer (it is used a lot for validating number sequences such as credit cards) and it may be a complete coincidence but when i input the numeric content only of my VIN into an online LUHN10 calculator, it returns the same check digit. If this is true, it would be possible to exclude the NCS Expert steps, however, the method would need to be verified as correct by multiple VIN tests. Hope somebody can jump in and validate a few VINs. The online luhn10 calculator i used is at https://planetcalc.com/2464/ if anyone who already knows their checksum wants to have a crack at it. Thanks again enda320, i'll be attempting to code my used szl later this evening using the second set of steps.

My Cars
    2008 BMW 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by enda320 View Post
    1) Firstly make sure all your INPA stuff works
    2) Fire up NCS expert, load a profile (anything with "expert" in the title will do, there are lots of different names/versions)
    3)press F1 (FG/ZCS/FA) (aka read FG("Car") ZCS / FA (central coding key or vehicle order)
    4)press F3 (ZCS/FA f/ECU) - (read ZCS central coding key or Vehicle option order from an ECU)
    5)pick your chassis type (E65)
    6) choose CAS as the module to read the ZCS/FA from. You can also pick LMA to read it from, if in doubt, pick what is more likely to be original to you car.
    7)The should populate NCS with your VIN number and options codes. Double check this is your VIN, and make a note of the last letter at the end. This extra letter is a checksum which will show if the VIN is valid, or just a collection of jumbled letters.

Next stage-
    8)Close NCS now that you know the VIN and checksum, as you'll be needing that now.
    9)Open Tool32
    10)file>load SGBD /Group file and you'll need to pic the group file that matches your SZL. I believe it might be SZL_60 but there are also SZL and SZL_01
    11)In the Select job window, scroll down to c_fg_lesen (VIN read) and press 1*> (run once) from the header toolbar
    12)This should pop up a window which will have the 7 digit VIN number from the SZL, which won't be your VIN number
    13)Time to change the VIN. Select the job c_fg_schreiben (VIN Write) and you'll see an argument window now highlights in yellow saying what the argument should be (argument is a computer term, not really related to a human argument!)
    14)A window in the background will give details, and in this case say-
    argument : FG_NR
    type : string
    comment : Fahrgestellnummer (18-stellig)

Which means the "argument" of FG_NR (VIN NUMBER) is a string of data, and it is the VIN number (18 letters long)
    You'll notice a VIN number is 17 letters, so the extra letter is the checksum you noted down earlier.

15)Type the full VIN with the checksum digit at the end into the bar under the word "argument" and press 1*> (run once)

This should then write your new VIN to the SZL, and if you go back to the c_fg_lesen job, it should report your 7 digit short VIN.

The final stage will be to clear any errors and recalibrate the steering angle sensor with INPA, DIS, ISTA/D etc and hopefully it'll all work out fine.
    Hi,

Thank you so much for the steps. I was able to change VIN on SZL. but I am not able to calibrate the steering angle sensor using ISTA. In INPA it shows the sensor is working. but values are wrong. The degree/sec changes when I rotate the steering wheel. but the angle does not change. I have attached the screenshot. Please advise on how to fix.

20211115_223323.jpg

Thank you,