Thread: e30 convertible top and locks problem

My Cars
    1991 BMW 325i Convertibl

e30 convertible top and locks problem

I recently purchased a 1991 325i convertible with a manual top. The car is great however I have a couple of minor issues to resolve.

1. There is a problem with the locks. When I lock the doors, I cannot unlock them with a key or even the trunk lock. I hear something moving but the locks don't pop up. The only way unlock them is to open a door from the inside and both doors unlock. What could be the cause of this?

2. When I fold the convertible top down, it does not fit properly into the soft top storage compartment and I can't close it. One of the bars won't budge downwards and it sticks out. Can anyone show me how to close the top properly?

I'd greatly appreciate help!

Here's the car, by the way, you can see the soft top problem:

My Cars
    87 325iS
    If only we had an E30 subforum where you could post this....

Edit: .... and a search button which you could use to find the answer to your question.

My Cars
    1992 BMW 325i
    I have the same issue with my convertible top not fitting into the boot lid compartment. And it sounds like the same issue you are having with one side having a bar that sticks out and prevents the top from folding further.

Were you ever able to fix this issue? I'm not sure if yours did this or not, but when I put my top back up, one of the sides sticks out about 1/2 inch more than the other which makes it really tough to fasten into place. It's like the whole top is out of alignment. Do you know if there is a way to adjust the top? It would be really nice if there was a way to do that.

My Cars
    E46 320i
    Hi,

Did anyone managed to solve this issue by now? I have the same problem with the lid no closing due to the soft top sticking out on passenger side.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    We have an E30 subforum, will move it to there and you will get help
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1989 Bmw325IC
    I have a similar problem with the passenger side. That side's torsion strap folds forward instead of backwards when lowering the top. After lowering, I have to go to the passengers side, lift the top back up a little and push the torsion strap backwards into the top. I just assume that the strap needs to be replaced since it's 31 years old.

My Cars
    1987 325ic
    Quote Originally Posted by aaverhulst View Post
    I have a similar problem with the passenger side. That side's torsion strap folds forward instead of backwards when lowering the top. After lowering, I have to go to the passengers side, lift the top back up a little and push the torsion strap backwards into the top. I just assume that the strap needs to be replaced since it's 31 years old.
    Is this not normal?

That's how I do mine--strap and top. Like to fold a big waffle weave micro fiber towel in against the plastic window to maintain clarity as well.

My Cars
    1989 Bmw325IC
    Quote Originally Posted by smittyatl View Post
    Is this not normal?
    Like to fold a big waffle weave micro fiber towel in against the plastic window to maintain clarity as well.
    Yep, I use a big soft towel.

My Cars
    '92 BMW 318i Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by aaverhulst View Post
    I've always got to do this as well, on both sides.
    '92 318i Cabrio- Alpine White