Thread: All e39 models front seatbelt removal/ install

My Cars
    m52 powered

Arrow All e39 models front seatbelt removal/ install

Sometimes the situation arises where you need to remove/replace your front seat belt. Maybe you've stained one or maybe it's frayed or cut. Maybe a wild bear got in your car and tore it to shreds.

Tearing apart the e39 interior can be a daunting task, so here's a little guidance.

1. remove the beauty covers from the pillar. The lower cover comes off first, pop it off the top towards the center of the car and then pull upwards. The upper part will pop out at the bottom and then slide down. You will then slide it down the belt and let it rest on the seat.

Now you will see that this is not such a hard job.

There are 3 fasteners on the pillar that must be removed.

The top nut:

The middle retainer bar:
    (in this pic an 8mm screw is missing on the right, I had just removed it. once the 8mm screw is out the belt can be slid out from behind the retainer)

the coil box bolt:
    (this pic is upside sown, the bolt is near the floor on the pillar)

Once those three fasteners are loose, raise the seat all the way up and forward some and then remove the plastic seat base.

The fourth and not pictured fastener is a torx bolt holding the end of the belt to the seat. Remove the torx bolt, then fish the belt through the hole in the beauty panel by flipping the latch over 180 degrees and poking it through.

Now the entire belt assembly is loose from the car. Go to the area where you removed the coil box bolt and then pull out the insert of insulation, next remove the coil box from it's pocket. This part has a helper pin on it, if it does not come out push the box back into the pocket and then pull up.

coil box out of the pocket:

Reverse procedure to install new belt. Note that the coil box can be tricky to work with, if it's not in the upright position and firmly attached to the car it will lock up and the belt will not unroll. The easiest way to begin installing the new belt is to put the coil box in and bolt it down first.

I hope this info proves useful to those tackling this job and if you have any questions on the procedure feel free to post them here.
    Last edited by e39dream; 12-08-2007 at 12:30 PM.

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)

Thumbs up

Mark,

Nice write-up. I hope other would be DIYers read this and get a good idea of the detail needed for a good DIY.

Is that snow in the third pic?

My Cars
    m52 powered
    thanks James. Yup- there was a good amount of snow accumulated around the car when I did this. The demonstration vehicle is a 1997 540i that I have been parting out, which is why I did not get pics of the last bolt, I took it out months ago.

My Cars
    '02 525i M54 MT
    Would a seat removal be just as easy?
    "If she spills anything, she MUST clean it up. After she is done, I tell her to "Tuck and roll" at 65mph." -Gumbi4u

Paul // Oakland, CA // Registry Link // My Ugly Mug

My Cars
    m52 powered
    the front seats are pretty straightforward.

http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/t...procedures.htm

My Cars
    1999 528iT, 71 Datsun 240z, 73 240zt, 69 Fbird cvt
    Thanks for the write-up. When you said:

1. remove the beauty covers from the pillar. The lower cover comes off first, pop it off the top towards the center of the car and then pull upwards. The upper part will pop out at the bottom and then slide down. You will then slide it down the belt and let it rest on the seat.

Is the lower cover the large one that goes down to the rocker panels? I tried pulling on mine and it seemed like I was about to break it. Pull the top of this piece straight in toward the center of the car? Do the edges pull out from the door weatherstrip?

Just trying not to "gorilla" my interior. Any tips welcome.
    1999 528iT
    M5 emblems add 10 hp each, right?

My Cars
    m52 powered
    there's 2 parts, an upper and a lower, the upper slides down and in and the lower slides up and in. There are some clips back there you may need to get a clip tool/long screwdriver to pop them loose. Mine came right apart.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 528iT

Rear side seat belt

Does anyone know how to replace the rear side seat belt on a touring?

My Cars
    1997 BMW 528i
    Is there an easy fix for a passenger side seat belt that wont retract? is there a way to oil the spring mechanism or should i fully replace?

My Cars
    2002 BMW M5
    e39dream;,

I will be replacing my drivers side unit some day. Thanks for providing some insight on how to service this... !

My Cars
    2001 530i (E39) 128k
    Does this address seat belts are are no longer taut? My spring mechanism seems weak. I was thinking of replacing the seat belt. Ballpark cost?

My Cars
    2003 525iT
    Quote Originally Posted by OnTheFence View Post
    Does this address seat belts are are no longer taut? My spring mechanism seems weak. I was thinking of replacing the seat belt. Ballpark cost?
    I'm in the same boat.

My Cars
    2004 BMW 325i Touring
    my passenger front seatbelt wont release

1973 Clubman GT * 2008 BMW X1 * 2004 BMW 325i Touring* 2000 Honda S2000 *
    2016 Mazda Mx5 Club Sport