Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Approaching 85k milles

My Cars
    01 530i, 06 650i

Approaching 85k milles

my 2001 530i is approaching 85k miles, I have no problems with anything, thank god.

what service, if any, would you guys recommend as i approach 85?

thanks

My Cars
    2003-525i BMW
    The first thing would be to replace the Vanos seals -http://www.beisansystems.com/procedures/vanos_procedure.htm
    Along with that work-while it's down that far would be to replace the cooling system--and do it completly--02 sensors-plugs-tranny fluid.
    If you can make it to 100k miles it should be fine to do then--after which the car should be ready for another 100k miles.

My Cars
    64-BUICK; 95-E34; 00-E39
    2001 530i service I and II
    Attached Images Attached Images

• 2000 BMW 540i/6 (Anthrazit Metallic 397)
    • 2001 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (Bronzemist Metallic)
    • 1964 Buick Wildcat (Sunburst Yellow / Arctic White)

Fan Blades Can Explode.. Read My Thread

My Cars
    64-BUICK; 95-E34; 00-E39
    last part of #2.
    Attached Images Attached Images

• 2000 BMW 540i/6 (Anthrazit Metallic 397)
    • 2001 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (Bronzemist Metallic)
    • 1964 Buick Wildcat (Sunburst Yellow / Arctic White)

Fan Blades Can Explode.. Read My Thread

My Cars
    2003 530iA
    That's all Fragz? Some people wonder why it's $$$ when they go to the dealer to do it.
    The ATF change is not mentioned (lifetime BS I know).
    And as Poolman mentioned - Vanos.

My Cars
    CDN 98 540iA M62 3.15
    Here's a nice read on BMW maintenance. While it is from a E46 forum, the basics of the schedule apply with explanations from BIMMER magazine.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=271535

But at your mileage, I would suggest a ATF fluid change if not done before.

My Cars
    '02 530i manual
    Quote Originally Posted by Poolman View Post
    The first thing would be to replace the Vanos seals -http://www.beisansystems.com/procedures/vanos_procedure.htm
    They recommend replacing the valve cover gasket while at it. Is it the same as the head gasket, or is it something else?

My Cars
    01 530i, 06 650i
    should i get this done at the dealership? how much $$$ do you guys think we are talking here?

My Cars
    2002 530i w/sport
    Quote Originally Posted by quattro PETE View Post
    They recommend replacing the valve cover gasket while at it. Is it the same as the head gasket, or is it something else?
    I would not replace the valve cover gasket unless you go under the valve cover for some maintenance. The head gasket is totally different (between the block & the valve head) and is never replaced unless is fails (& hopefuly you catch it before damage is done).

My Cars
    '98 E36 M3 / '88 VW GTi
    Quote Originally Posted by tomatojoos View Post
    should i get this done at the dealership? how much $$$ do you guys think we are talking here?
    Find yourself a good BMW indy, 99% of them will give a free quote for an inspection II

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    NO!

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    '11 328xiT/6, '99 M3
    Please, if anything, change the transmission fluid before you're too late. The best idea I've seen is to change it now and then change every 30k religiously. Not to turn this into a transmission thread but the lifetime fill is so BS even BMW reneg'd on it.
    -Denton

My Cars
    '02 530i manual
    Quote Originally Posted by fudman View Post
    The head gasket is totally different (between the block & the valve head) and is never replaced unless is fails (& hopefuly you catch it before damage is done).
    Well, my last two used oil analysis reports showed a trace of glycol (indicative of coolant). The guy who interpreted the reports mentioned that one of the possibilities is that my head gasket may be leaking slightly.

My Cars
    A Few With Roundels
    What part of the country are you in?

My Cars
    M52 5MT Sport 01/98
    Replace (preemptively) the entire cooling system. Flush all fluids, have all joints, bushings, and moving parts inspected. Your Bimmer will thank you! It's not gonna be cheap but it sure beats a fried motor with seized pistons.
    Rules to live by:
    - Fast, reliable, cheap. You can only have two.
    - Do it right, or do it twice.
    - BMW: Just because you can afford to buy one, that doesn't mean you can afford to own one.

1998 528i 5-speed sport - sandbeige with technical graphite trim - Jim Conforti Shark Injector - CDV delete - MY2000 M5 Xenon headlights - MY2000 M5 tails - PP M5 front bumper - E46 M3 paper filter - E60 545i shifter w/ E46 ZHP knob - 12" Alpine Type-R & 500w RF - CD53 w/ AUX input

My Cars
    01 530i, 06 650i
    thanks for feedback but still no one has answered whther i should get this done at the stealership or any german auto repair shop? please advise.

thanks

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    See post #11...

If you are taking the car to the dealer without a warranty, then you might as well bend over.

Take the car to an independent shop, or if you want to learn and save mucho money, do the work yourself.

Jason

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    A Few With Roundels
    thanks for feedback but still no one has answered whther i should get this done at the stealership or any german auto repair shop? please advise.

thanks
    That's why I asked where you're located.

My Cars
    01 530i, 06 650i
    i am located in west michigan

My Cars
    540i/6, 02 Excursion Pow
    Don't do the dealership unless you have money to burn...
    "If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti"

My Cars
    1998 528i
    I just hit 86k. I'm just gonna drop it off at a Euro car shop. I don't trust myself to DIY the seals. I'm putting on new plugs next week, along with the tranny fluid swap. I'll send updates on non dealer shop prices.

My Cars
    Sold 528iT, Mazda6
    While you may not realize it.....your suspension is worn and doesn't feel like it once did:

http://edgemotorworks.com/index.php?...d=27&Itemid=55

My Cars
    01 530i, 06 650i
    Quote Originally Posted by E3987 View Post
    I just hit 86k. I'm just gonna drop it off at a Euro car shop. I don't trust myself to DIY the seals. I'm putting on new plugs next week, along with the tranny fluid swap. I'll send updates on non dealer shop prices.

so how much was it in the end?

My Cars
    2002 530I 1999 M3
    I have an 02 530I with 80k on it and have so far....replaced the cooling system (all parts including water pump and thermostat, did this during the supercharger install), did the vanos seals DIY and replaced valve cover gasket at that time, plugs, crankshaft position sensor (went out at 70k and when it goes there is no warning or codes thrown, the engine just shuts down....no default values in the ECU for this sensor), Koni FSD shocks all around. All belts were replaced at the 60k stage 2 service done at a local indy.

Next....02 sensors
    2002 530IS 5 speed, Sapphire Black/Sand, M-Tech sport package, premium package, ESS Twin Screw supercharger, Southbend high performance clutch, Performance Gearing 3.15 LSD.....1999 M3 Cosmos Black/Black, Active Autowerks intercooled supercharger, H&R suspension and a bunch of other stuff....

My Cars
    01 530i, 06 650i
    Quote Originally Posted by thetinpusher View Post
    I have an 02 530I with 80k on it and have so far....replaced the cooling system (all parts including water pump and thermostat, did this during the supercharger install), did the vanos seals DIY and replaced valve cover gasket at that time, plugs, crankshaft position sensor (went out at 70k and when it goes there is no warning or codes thrown, the engine just shuts down....no default values in the ECU for this sensor), Koni FSD shocks all around. All belts were replaced at the 60k stage 2 service done at a local indy.

Next....02 sensors

so, how much was it all in the end?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast