Thread: e30 M342t Evolution

My Cars
    '88 e30 M3 (GTS2)

e30 M342t Evolution

I finally have decided to start posting pics of my e30 M3 showing how it has evolved since I took ownership. It was a caged race car with a fresh s14 when I first got it.

My first three BMWs. Blue then black, then not as black.

The reason I bought it.

It got some stickers and stuff put on it.

It got some lightweight stuff and became quite the "Ugly Duckling"!

- - - Updated - - -

Yep....damn ugly.

Needed one more hood pin!

Got a hood pin which kicked off the whole aero thing.....

Battle scars.

- - - Updated - - -

The beginning of the weight loss......wiring!

While I'm there....race cars don't need bumper shocks!

A couple of more wires....

....and some more.

Engine harness for MS

Out with the big $$$

Eeny, meeny, miny, moe....In with the old!

Wait.....something is just not adding up here!

Damon in STL
    Damon in STL
    '88 e30 M3/M42t - GTS3 #72 - Motorcraft Ign., Volvo Injectors, Thrush Turbo Muffler, Open Source ECU, Aerospace Connectors, Lowes Polycarbonate, Alumacore Front Splitter and Rear Diffuser, Honda Radiator(s), Racer's Tape (white), Tornado, Various Stickers, Farm Implement Paint (gloss white), Nationwide Series Windshield (Fontana version), GMC Boost Solenoid
    My current car: e30 M342t Evolution

My Cars
    '88 e30 M3 (GTS2)
    New Starting point...

Fire Wall Mods

Test fitting - I must have had the engine in and out of the car 25 times. Notice the existing motor mount locations.

Side View

Hard to see....but, I could not get the turbo manifold to work with it pointed up (even with extensions....)

View from inside

Notice where I have to make the motor mount work

Passenger side motor mount general location

New Motor Mounts

Passenger side in place

Driver side location

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm 275/30/15 Hoosier tires....I can make those fit!

Damon in STL
    Damon in STL
    '88 e30 M3/M42t - GTS3 #72 - Motorcraft Ign., Volvo Injectors, Thrush Turbo Muffler, Open Source ECU, Aerospace Connectors, Lowes Polycarbonate, Alumacore Front Splitter and Rear Diffuser, Honda Radiator(s), Racer's Tape (white), Tornado, Various Stickers, Farm Implement Paint (gloss white), Nationwide Series Windshield (Fontana version), GMC Boost Solenoid

My Cars
    '89 735i/5, '97 M3
    Looks awesome!

My Cars
    '88 e30 M3 (GTS2)
    The start to adding lightness....or how to get carried away with a plasma cutter!

Previous owner had a sub woofer and cut out the rear bulkhead....I may as well get rid of what I don't need.

Damon in STL

- - - Updated - - -

Not the best weld....but, it will do.

Minor ride height change.....

Damon in STL

- - - Updated - - -

Transmission thoughts.....

6spd sequential....

This might fit right about here!

Can't seem to find the VW transaxle concept photos I had...WAIT....found it!

Last edited by Damon in STL; 08-29-2014 at 07:48 AM.
    Damon in STL

My Cars
    '88 e30 M3 (GTS2)

Seam Welding

Engine bay cleanup

Rear end Mods

- - - Updated - - -

Same was done on the rear of the car.....

Starting to fit the bits back together. Notice the camber and toe adjusters added to the rear subframe.

Starting to design the rear support system. Disregard the trans location...it will be part of Phase 38.

The frame has been notched for swing arm travel.

Rear subframe is supported by the cage.

Better view of the future trans location. I've modified a spare G265 to have the shifter input come out of the front instead of the rear.

Still learning to weld....

Better view of the adjusters.

Starting on the rear shock tower supports.

A little blurry....but you can see the concept.

Other side

I forgot how much progress I made on the rear tranny location! I cut it all out!

Got side tracked again. Spare subframe. I'm not sure if I have pics....but, I'm currently using the stock front control arms and have modified the front
    subframe to allow it to be moved higher into the chassis, thus lowering the car by another 1/2".

Template...

Ugly....ugly welds. But, hey....I was still learning! Hmm....I'll always be "still learning". Scrapped.

- - - Updated - - -

Still need to add a support on the right there. The plan is to use the diff cove bolts and a fabb'd plate welded to the rect. tube.

If you need a little more room....just remove the roof. Duh! Notice the rear down bars have been relocated to land on the top of the strut tower.

Another nice and blurry pic! Triangulation is your friend!

Notice how low the engine sits.

Radiator location concepts.....

Bars and bars....and more bars. Okay....maybe I got a little carried away with all the bars.

Driver protection (Me!). Notice carbon fiber roof.

Okay.....one to many bars!

Laying out firewall concept.

Stiffeners added.

- - - Updated - - -

Fiberglass Doors = 5 lb ea.

Nationwide series lexan windshield with tear offs still in place. Trim to fit.

Coming together.....

Farm Implement White = $30 gal. Because race car!

Final radiator location. Future dry sump location.

More white parts

Under it's own power....pre-intercooler install.

Better view of radiators.

Hmm....a little out of order on the pics!

Lexan windshield in place but not bolted.

Last edited by Damon in STL; 08-10-2014 at 09:04 AM.
    Damon in STL

My Cars
    bmw e36 328i 4dr saloon
    man, this build is wild, I love it! Keep up the great progress
    1996 328i (m52B28US) OBD1 euro ZF 5spd. 3.23LSD conversion / Chem. PnP Head/ DINAN stg.2 CHIP/ VAC race valves/ S52 cams/ A/C delete/ fan delete/ Washer Fluid resv delete/ ARP head studs/ Cometic 140MLS / VAC Solid Engine/trans Mounts/ CAI / 2.5"Borla race exahaust/ NGK R spark plugs, M50 Mani, S50 Oil Res, Riot Racing HFTB, SAMCO Hoses, JBR FW, X-Brace, Mtech Front Bumper, RE RSMs, stoptech SS lines, Bilstein sports, H&R Race Springs, S52 Reinforcement plates, Kosei K1 w/ bridgestone RE960as, Brembo/stoptech slotted rotors, M3 Trailing arms, M3 Calipers, M3 Axles, ACS strut brace, weight reduction.

http://mbuild.blogspot.com/

My Cars
    98 M3 , 82 320i
    not really sure what im witnessing but i like it!

My Cars
    '88 e30 M3 (GTS2)
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthbeam View Post
    man, this build is wild, I love it! Keep up the great progress
    Quote Originally Posted by Denwad View Post
    not really sure what im witnessing but i like it!
    Thanks guys!

Now for the engine build/refresh....

Starting the disassembly. Pretty basic stuff.

Looks better all cleaned up!

Bearing as received! Good thing I bought the six pack.

Notice the nick.

Had some left over farm implement white paint.... Kidding...it is high temp paint.

Cometic MLS with ARP studs. Stock compression ratio.

- - - Updated - - -

Cam timing calcs.

Studs

Manifold spacer for turbo.

Twirly thing.

Plumbing.

I ran out of farm implement white paint.

Bad pic. I had to modify the throw out bearing to work with the lightened M20 flywheel and the ZF tranny.

Shortened the shifter arm a wee bit.

Initial opening. It got bigger towards the rear.

I fab'd a two piece shifter assembly which is hard mounted to the chassis.
    Damon in STL

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe
    Awesome, awesome, awesome. I'm regularly surprised by the ingenuity of the builds here and this is one of them.

My Cars
    bmw M5
    Interesting.
    2014 F10 M5
    2014 F15 X5d
    1990 E30 325is S50 (track car)
    1990 E30 325is (garage queen)

My Cars
    E46 330iT E36 328i
    Great work so far. How are you going to plumb in an oil cooler though?

My Cars
    '88 e30 M3 (GTS2)

Oil System

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo318i View Post
    Great work so far. How are you going to plumb in an oil cooler though?
    I've not fully decided on how I'm going to implement the final oil system. My initial concept was to have a dry sump system with the oil tank in the rear. This would do a couple of things for the overall design. It would allow the front of the car to be lowered some additional amount while also moving the weight of the oil to the rear.

My oil pan was to low and I had to raise the front. The turbo scavenge pump is just hanging loose in this pic.

I have most of the parts to build the system. I also have a e28 M5 oil cooler and accusump system and a bunch of hoses.

I'm still trying to fully understand the system and posted this pic a while back. I don't believe I was able to get any feedback on how the flow
    moves through the stock system.

I also have a spare oil pan I hacked up as an experiment. I could re-weld it or spend about $800 on a custom one.

Since I'm solenoid limiting the Boost/HP/Torque on the motor to stay in NASA GTS3 there may not be a lot of heat being generated (the car is light)
    and needing to be removed. We'll see during testing.

Damon in STL
    Damon in STL

My Cars
    '88 e30 M3 (GTS2)
    Some more misc. random un-ordered pics.

This is what happens when you throw in a temporary ground cable to test things....and later forget that you've not changed it out.
    You then put some high amps through it without thinking....like powering a starter!

New ground wire. Notice the damage caused to the battery by the minor FIRE!

Front bulkhead arrangement. This allows for quick/easy access to all areas of the engine. Notice 1/4 turn panel fasteners.

Electric brakes. Also a safety tip - use stemless wine glasses when working on your car....less possibility of tipping.

Hard to see...since it is not painted white yet in the pic, is the rear bulkhead.

I went back and forth on if I should install a fuel cell or not. I decided the stock location was the best design location from a
    weight balance and safety aspect.

I added lightness anywhere possible.

Damon in STL

My Cars
    00 M Coupe
    Really cool build!

Can you post a couple more detail shots of the shifter assembly that you made? Thanks!

My Cars
    '88 e30 M3 (GTS2)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoccinStrybs View Post
    Really cool build!

Can you post a couple more detail shots of the shifter assembly that you made? Thanks!
    Thanks!

I don't think I have any pics of the assembly by itself. The black piece is just sheet metal which connects the assembly to the car.
    There is an upper portion which locks the stock bushing in place within the lower piece (this is the piece you can see in the pic below). The lower piece started from a 3/4" x 5"
    aluminum bar with the bottom side portion milled down to about 3/8" around the perimeter of the upper piece (picture an upside down hat. The center was then milled not quite
    all the way through using a diameter to accept and hold the stock white plastic bushing. A hole was then drilled all the way through to allow the shifter to be inserted.
    White lithium grease keeps it lube'd. The tranny/engine are also hard mounted.

The next time I take it appart....I shoot some pics.

Damon in STL
    Damon in STL

My Cars
    '88 e30 M3 (GTS2)
    Update: First weekend out after all the mods.

Friday Test and Tune: Monsoon with non stop rain. No wipers installed. Made it out of pit lane only to hit the 20'x30' lake just after pit out. Instantly fogged up the windshield to the point of not being able to see through the windshield. Used my well tested peripheral vision and triangulation skills (guessed at were I was going) to make it back to pit lane.

Saturday: First session second lap headed into T1 at speed. Either the right rear caliper carrier broke first.....or the bolts holding it on sheared first. Was able to slow it down and make it to the next flag statation.

Rain tires are on the back after finding my caliper on the front side of the wheel......while it usually resides on the back!

Back to the drawing board!

Damon in STL
    Damon in STL

My Cars
    SpecE46 #312
    Damon - very cool. Any reason you didn't go with a more traditional S52/54 route? Seems all the turbo stuff would add back the weight you lost by going to an M42.

I also run 275/15 on Nascar type wheels - only issue is lack of airflow with their design. On some brake intense tracks they hurt in the end. Although in the last pick you are running Kosei so it may not be applicable.
    Another disappointed UUC customer - need a part, do yourself a favor and order from somebody other than UUC

My Cars
    '88 e30 M3 (GTS2)
    Quote Originally Posted by UKRBMW View Post
    Damon - very cool. Any reason you didn't go with a more traditional S52/54 route? Seems all the turbo stuff would add back the weight you lost by going to an M42.
    It is about where the placement of the weight is within the chassis. And, the M42 with the turbo is still significantly less in weight than the 6 cylinder cars. The engine is now behind the front wheels and the location of the turbo is in a very good spot (low and to the right). With the side exhaust also on the right side the balance was further maximized. The turbo is so low that I have to run a scavenge pump for the oil. The subframes (both front and rear) have also been moved up into the chassis (harder to do in the front if the engine was in the way). With the amount of overall weight reduction I did to the car, moving the engine rearward was the only way to get the car back to its original 50.5/49.5 f/r balance (I've not quite gotten it to 50/50). I removed around 550 lbs from the weight it ran in GTS2. With where the weight is now located.....the polar moment of inertia is much lower.

Replacing the 4 cyl. with a 6 is pretty common....and not much of a challenge. One other reason for the turbo 4 cyl. is due to the concept which I'm currently working on. I'm wanting to expand the area under the torque curve. Using a turbo that is sized correctly and controlled with solenoid boost control, I can tune the engine to maximize it for the GTS class I want to run. I'm running fairly high compression with low boost and controlling it with a MegaSquirt system.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a pic I just received. This is in pit lane....just before I got all of my 1.1 laps in for the day. The rear caliper sheared off....broke in half....decided it wanted to ride in front of the wheel instead of in the back....etc...... The .1 lap may not technically count since it broke while braking for T1.

Damon in STL

My Cars
    Any info on the megasquirt used?

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Also interested in Megasquirt details.

My Cars
    '88 e30 M3 (GTS2)
    I'm running MegaSquirt II V3 and using the stock crank pulley/sensor setup for timing. I was running EDIS 4 but now have deleted that and added another coil driver. This allows me to run wasted spark on the Ford coil. Megasquirt can also control a turbo boost solenoid....but, I've not installed it yet. I'm also using a GM intake air temp sensor and the stock coolant temp sensor. The engine harness is the stock one with the end connector to the ECU removed and wired into the MegaSquirt unit.

I also have a '75 Porsche 911 that I'm currently adding EFI/Megasquirt to. I'm hoping to finish up some loose ends and get it up and running in the next week.

Damon in STL
    Damon in STL

My Cars
    1993 325is
    TY. I'm in the planning stages of a boosted M42 for my Street Mod E36 and trying to decide how to do the engine management. I've been looking at the BMWLink G4+, but it's seriously pricey. I'd love to do OEM DME tuned by RK, but the 990 and 282 DMEs only seems to work with an AFM and I'm not sure that's the way to go. I'm thinking speed density (MAP) with some sort of standalone like Megasquirt.
    Last edited by jakermac; 11-30-2014 at 02:41 PM.

My Cars
    I'm toying around with the idea of boosting my m44 as well. More so to really have fun . Just 6-8 psi to keep it reliable.

My Cars
    blk 740i/ 325is - 95's
    Freaking amazing!!!!
    1995 540i /6 speed, Black on black, VF m62 S/C kit v3 6psi - Cold air intake/ SSSquid Tune/racing exhuast, Vortech 8:1 RRFPR ,545 SSK /3.15 with LSD / rev-shift motor mounts/stage 4, 6 puck clutch/ K Sport coil overs / suede sparco 368 steering wheel, Recaro seats, N2O, M/T drag slicks
    "Skill can only get you so far, then comes money!"
    R . I . P Paul Walker - 1973 - 2013