Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E31 coilovers?

My Cars
    Supercharged 850ci

E31 coilovers?

My Cars
    850,76 2002 &530,84 633
    I am interested but who wants to try an unknown brand. Like Ceika, who supposedly builds custom coilovers and big brake kits. I did not see an E31 kit but they may be able to build them if they are given some specs.
    https://ceika-store.com/products/cct1m120

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i6
    CATuned based out of Sacramento California makes a lot of stuff for older BMWs including coilovers for older models that most everyone doesn’t support. I spoke to them at length about bringing my car down from Spokane, Washington when I bought it to have measurements made so they could produce them.

They said they are willing to make some but need a car in shop for a few days to measure and mock things up. I ended up not being able to and had to drive it back to GA sooner than planned. So if someone in that are could just take them a car for a few days, we’d have adjustable coilovers.

My Cars
    97 850CI
    I have reached out to Ceika. I will report back.

They sent me this link, and have asked about intended vehicle use for spring rates and shock setrtings. They are making the right noises.

https://ceika-store.com/products/cct1m123?locale=en_us
    Last edited by 72tpik5; 02-23-2018 at 01:11 PM.
    Desecrator of all things Sacred

My Cars
    850,76 2002 &530,84 633
    Quote Originally Posted by 72tpik5 View Post
    I have reached out to Ceika. I will report back.

They sent me this link, and have asked about intended vehicle use for spring rates and shock setrtings. They are making the right noises.

https://ceika-store.com/products/cct1m123?locale=en_us
    Will be interesting to see what they can offer. Thanks for contacting them. I had inquired about brakes several few months ago and they indicated that they could put together a kit but I never did follow up after that because I had too much else to do on my car.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i6
    Looks like a bunch a bullshit. All their reviews on that product are for other kits and stuff. Always a red flag. I’ve never even heard of them. Whenever I see stuff like that it’s always some Chinese crap. If Bilstein, KW or Fortune Auto haven’t made some there’s probably a reason. I’d trust CATuned to make some over whoever Ceika is.

All these Taiwanese coilovers are made in the same place, DGR, KSport, all that stuffs the same and they’re all of similar butthole quality. I had some DGRs (these Ceika look exactly the same and have the exact same features down to the odd number of 31 clicks of damping adjustment) on my E39 once before getting some Bilstein PSS’s and despite them being TÜV certified and all these accolades, they were total junk. You really get what you pay for with this stuff.
    Last edited by killian665; 02-23-2018 at 09:21 PM.

My Cars
    M3, 850i, E30T, E55T
    Eh, Taiwan made stuff isn't all that bad. It also varies by factory, like many auto products. It's not Bilstein, KW, etc, but it's just fine in many applications.

Got a set of BC Racing coilovers for my GF's Z3 coupe because she just wanted to lower and have new damping to replace stock dead suspension, and for what it is, it's nicely made stuff that does the job for a daily driver and is really quite decent in the twisties.

That said I have no idea about Ceika, but there are some threads on other BMW forums where people have tried them out and state they are made by Bor-Chuann (BC Racing), which is not a bad thing at all, if true.
    Last edited by adamnur; 02-24-2018 at 12:25 AM.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i6
    The DGRs, while I don’t like them, are very popular among the E39 M5 guys. A guy named Jason Platz had them on his E39 M5 and won global time attack at road Atlanta in his class. Even when I had them on my car they handled very well. I also have shock dyno graphs for them showing that they are very well valved.

My issue was the overall build quality, they knocked because the machining tolerances on them was a little too lax so under certain loads like on rough pavement or gravel where the suspension would make quick short compressions over and over, the threaded shock body would knock against the sleeve it threaded in to. Very annoying. Others claimed to not have this issue, I also talked to some that did so it’s a crapshoot. The coating that comes on them isn’t very good either. In less than a year I had rust start to develop and I’m in GA where they never salt the roads.

The other issue was warranty claims. None of them speak English well at all. I had to go through my buddy who distributes them. And he went back and forth with someone through email with very broken English. Replacement parts take a while to arrive as well since it all comes from Taiwan. I only had to deal with this once though trying to solve the knocking issue.

But I would be more willing to try the DGRs over Ceika because I’ve at least heard of them, I’ve run them before, I personally know 3 people who run them on E39s and one E34 wagon and I know 2 distributors of them local to me. $950 shipped with all the options if someone wanted some I can put you in touch with them. Do not spend more than that you’ll be getting ripped off. Although I’m sure the Ceikas are rebranded DGRs because they all advertise the same Koyo bearings and pillow ball mounts, the Italian fork oil, the same amount of adjustment, same everything.
    Last edited by killian665; 02-24-2018 at 12:43 AM.

My Cars
    97 850CI
    Quote Originally Posted by killian665 View Post
    Looks like a bunch a bullshit. All their reviews on that product are for other kits and stuff. Always a red flag. I’ve never even heard of them. Whenever I see stuff like that it’s always some Chinese crap. If Bilstein, KW or Fortune Auto haven’t made some there’s probably a reason. I’d trust CATuned to make some over whoever Ceika is.

All these Taiwanese coilovers are made in the same place, DGR, KSport, all that stuffs the same and they’re all of similar butthole quality. I had some DGRs (these Ceika look exactly the same and have the exact same features down to the odd number of 31 clicks of damping adjustment) on my E39 once before getting some Bilstein PSS’s and despite them being TÜV certified and all these accolades, they were total junk. You really get what you pay for with this stuff.
    Based on your opinion, I recommend that you not buy them. Considering the problems with the rear shock mount area, I don't think that the 8 is a good candidate for coil overs on the rear anyway. Instead of just the shock fatiguing the metal, now the weight of the rear of the car will be redirected to that area.
    Last edited by 72tpik5; 02-24-2018 at 08:11 AM.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i6
    No that’s not how these are. The spring is in the same place separate from the shock, they just give you an adjustable perch to change the ride height. Just like any 3 series. The rears are not technically coilovers they just call them that anyway.

My Cars
    97 850CI
    No that’s not how these are. The spring is in the same place separate from the shock, they just give you an adjustable perch to change the ride height. Just like any 3 series. The rears are not technically coilovers they just call them that anyway.
    That makes sense. Thanks, the generic picture is misleading.

My Cars
    850,76 2002 &530,84 633
    I received this email and photos from Ceika. I am waiting for more info but it looks like the oem strut tube needs to be cut off, and their new shortened tube welded, for their inserts to fit.

Yes the rear is shock and spring separated we use a high/low kit to allow you to adjust the rear ride height. Find attached picture for example on a BMW X5 E70.

Regarding the use of your car we advise you to go with 10kg front or 12 if you want stiffer and 11kg rear.

All our coilovers are fully adjustable you have 31 clicks on each dampers to adjust rebound and compression. So you have a wide range of adjustment.
    I attached you some pictures for the welding process, our parts are made to fit perfectly for a perfect welding.

Our kits start at 1040usd with free shiping and you have to add 60USD for the front camber adjustable top plates

Looking forward to read you let me know if you have any further questions.

Last edited by JDP530; 02-27-2018 at 01:46 PM.

My Cars
    97 850CI
    I think they look good. Who's first?

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i6
    Just such a crap shoot especially with the experience I’ve had before with coilovers like this

My Cars
    Cool Volvo, Ugly BMW
    Just such a crap shoot especially with the experience I’ve had before with coilovers like this
    Yes, we are all quite aware and literate.
    What "thumbs up" really means

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i6
    Okay guy

My Cars
    850,76 2002 &530,84 633
    Most of the 'old timers' on here are probably sick of all the talk about coilovers, lol, because there are so many threads from years past on this topic that I have found in the past day. Bryson has a great write-up on his suspension project:
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...rthy-contender

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i6
    I think the issue is that his set up is very cobbled together even if it does function well. Most people aren’t going to want to go through all that.

My Cars
    95 s/c 2.8l, 98 528
    Does the first one get a discount for being a guinea pig? I'm very interested given my current suspension woes.

Quote Originally Posted by JDP530 View Post
    I received this email and photos from Ceika. I am waiting for more info but it looks like the oem strut tube needs to be cut off, and their new shortened tube welded, for their inserts to fit.

Yes the rear is shock and spring separated we use a high/low kit to allow you to adjust the rear ride height. Find attached picture for example on a BMW X5 E70.

Regarding the use of your car we advise you to go with 10kg front or 12 if you want stiffer and 11kg rear.

All our coilovers are fully adjustable you have 31 clicks on each dampers to adjust rebound and compression. So you have a wide range of adjustment.
    I attached you some pictures for the welding process, our parts are made to fit perfectly for a perfect welding.

Our kits start at 1040usd with free shiping and you have to add 60USD for the front camber adjustable top plates

Looking forward to read you let me know if you have any further questions.

95 325- s/c S50 01 X5-daily 95 840ci- boost incoming

My Cars
    850,76 2002 &530,84 633
    I think I will go with the Ground Control kit. They dont show an application on site for the E31 but they are familiar with the chassis and they can build a set to suit your driving style or type for street/track or racing. Their street/track kit uses adjustable Konis front and back with separate adjustable spring perches for the rear.

https://groundcontrolstore.com/

My Cars
    1991 BMW 850I E31
    honestly if someone wants to try it email the company asking for a discount, explain that there are people interested (direct them to this) but no one is willing to purchase at full price and that you will do an install log and experience log for a discount on the product. That is if the company believes in their product. An email/trying cannot hurt.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i6
    Ground Control is world class stuff that would be a more quality set up

My Cars
    95 s/c 2.8l, 98 528
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP530 View Post
    I think I will go with the Ground Control kit. They dont show an application on site for the E31 but they are familiar with the chassis and they can build a set to suit your driving style or type for street/track or racing. Their street/track kit uses adjustable Konis front and back with separate adjustable spring perches for the rear.

https://groundcontrolstore.com/
    Keep us updated. I don't mind paying for a quality setup, just don't want to pay full price to something unproven.
    95 325- s/c S50 01 X5-daily 95 840ci- boost incoming

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i6
    I reached out to Ground Control. They do make a kit for these cars. Starts at $2,000 not including labor. Here’s the hitch though. You have to send your parts to them and they do the cutting and welding of your strut tubes because from what he was telling me it took them a very long time to make the jig to weld these. Apparently the E31 is an unusual setup compared to other cartridge style BMWs. But that being said it saves hours of work on our end, you know it will be done absolutely perfect and they come back powder coated.

He’s sending me pictures of a couple kits they’ve made for other E31s so I’ll upload that when I get it. Custom spring rates, damping adjustment, the works. It’s expensive but it’s damn near the best money can buy. They’re up there with KW if you’re unfamiliar with Ground Control. If it’s something y’all are truly interested in I may be able to work a group buy as well.
    Last edited by killian665; 03-16-2018 at 03:45 PM.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i6
    Okay here ya go.

Old e31 assembly next to new modified and coated Ground Control housing.

Camber Plates

Billet Rear Mounts

Rear Spring Installed, Adjustable Perches

Last edited by killian665; 03-16-2018 at 05:24 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast