Thread: Vintage at Road America

My Cars
    hiss by my window

Vintage at Road America

Anyone here attending or competing?
    Great event, fabulous cars, good brats too.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    Anyone here attending or competing?
    Great event, fabulous cars, good brats too.
    We haven't been in a few years but it's a really cool event. We always pitted a couple rows from pit lane entry. I hope there are some Can Am cars there this year! What are you driving?
    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one?
    Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Not driving.
    I'm sure we've crossed paths, your tents look familiar. Guessing you pitted near Northshore Sportscars.

I used to help with a small bit of wrenching on a couple cars* owned by others. Life happens so have been out of touch with them a while and hoping they will be in attendance.
    * Lola T400 F5000, McLaren M8E and Shadow F1
    Me, I'd need to liquidate some road cars, make room and then, just perhaps, get into a vintage FF. I'd love a Lotus 51, old and not very competitive, like me.
    Last edited by ross1; 07-18-2019 at 03:05 PM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    Alpha Romero
    If this is the one in September, I have it on my schedule and I'm planning on making it up there.

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    Not driving.
    I'm sure we've crossed paths, your tents look familiar. Guessing you pitted near Northshore Sportscars.

I used to help with a small bit of wrenching on a couple cars* owned by others. Life happens so have been out of touch with them a while and hoping they will be in attendance.
    * Lola T400 F5000, McLaren M8E and Shadow F1
    Me, I'd need to liquidate some road cars, make room and then, just perhaps, get into a vintage FF. I'd love a Lotus 51, old and not very competitive, like me.
    Yikes, that's some serious hardware! I'd love to work on stuff like that someday. 51s are cool cars. One of our guys had a 41 and a 51, then sold the 51 to get a 61 (which is racing with us at Waterford Hills this weekend). He's definitely a Lotus guy! I hope you're able to make it happen someday. FFs are great bang for the buck.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan M3 View Post
    If this is the one in September, I have it on my schedule and I'm planning on making it up there.
    No, that's the Elkhart Lake Vintage Festival, hosted by VDCA. Still a really cool event. That's the one where the cars drive into town on Saturday evening, I believe.
    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one?
    Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

My Cars
    Alpha Romero
    Quote Originally Posted by ELVA164 View Post
    No, that's the Elkhart Lake Vintage Festival, hosted by VDCA. Still a really cool event. That's the one where the cars drive into town on Saturday evening, I believe.
    Dang, would have been nice to see some BFC people in real life. I missed all the cool things at RA this year, really wanted to make it out there for Indy Car too and missed that :/

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by ELVA164 View Post
    Yikes, that's some serious hardware! I'd love to work on stuff like that someday. 51s are cool cars. One of our guys had a 41 and a 51, then sold the 51 to get a 61 (which is racing with us at Waterford Hills this weekend). He's definitely a Lotus guy! I hope you're able to make it happen someday. FFs are great bang for the buck.

The cars also drive into town for this event on Friday, about 60 this year. Pretty cool when a CanAm McLaren, F1 car or Porsche 917 pulls to the curb beside you while quaffing a cold brew.
    Because of this event I've been privileged to meet many of the luminaries of the golden age of road racing. Gentlemen all, with balls of steel that survived the most dangerous era. Not today's prima donna millionaires availed of every driver aid under the sun and near crash proof cars who fancy themselves heroes.

Trying to complete my planes, trains and automobiles week. The restored Union Pacific 4014 Big Boy will be passing near me tomorrow and I'm hoping to get up to Oshkosh for the EAA convention Saturday or Sunday.