Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bennys E36 M3 Sedan Track Build - Updated Regularly

My Cars
    16' STI DD, 97' M3 Track
    Unfortunately NASA cancelled the Dominion event for July... And the van isn't ready isn't ready to camp in yet and I don't have a trailer to make it out to the other events at Summit or VIR.

Might have to look into Audi club or hooked on driving for some events at Dominion this fall.

Just picked up a second Corbeau seat too!

My Cars
    2006 BMW 330i
    Do you why they cancelled the Dominion event, I was looking forward to going in July.

My Cars
    16' STI DD, 97' M3 Track
    Quote Originally Posted by BKO 5 View Post
    Do you why they cancelled the Dominion event, I was looking forward to going in July.
    I don't unfortunately... I was going to ask Jake as he usually knows more info.

Not sure if it's something with Dominion or a conflict with NASA

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 NASA GTS2
    Quote Originally Posted by GG Emerican View Post
    I don't unfortunately... I was going to ask Jake as he usually knows more info.

Not sure if it's something with Dominion or a conflict with NASA
    Unfortunately, I don't know the reason(s) behind the cancellation in this case.

You can always nab a trailer rental from U-Haul to join us at SPMP or VIR!
    2011 F-150 FX4 | 1997 BMW M3 #404 GTS2 | 2006 BMW M3 Convertible
    Out Motorsports

My Cars
    16' STI DD, 97' M3 Track
    Not sure if this is something new at Dominion but there is a "Track Attack" a couple Friday evenings this month and next month. The first being tomorrow.

Any one have any experience with it? Doesn't look like a bad deal. Class room time, 3 20 minute sessions, instructor (I believe?) for $99.

Anyone been? Even though there is a chance of rain tomorrow.

https://www.motorsportreg.com/events...raceway-254576

My Cars
    16' STI DD, 97' M3 Track
    Well F*** Photobucket.. my 10+ years of photos now dead.

My Cars
    Spec3 & MCoupe
    So here I am, scouring craigslist for cheap camper vans with my cup of coffee, and what do I see? A rust-free 7.3 van with a very familiar yellow stripe. Wish I had the funds right now, that van is perfect.

My Cars
    16' STI DD, 97' M3 Track
    Quote Originally Posted by OCRentAPopo View Post
    So here I am, scouring craigslist for cheap camper vans with my cup of coffee, and what do I see? A rust-free 7.3 van with a very familiar yellow stripe. Wish I had the funds right now, that van is perfect.
    Yeah I put it up to test the waters. Looking into buying a house and freeing up some funds. Also thinking about selling it + my Subaru and getting a truck.

My Cars
    16' STI DD, 97' M3 Track
    well RIP to my thread thanks to Photobucket... looking into other sites to upload photos.

A quick question though. bought some revshift subframe and diff bushings when they had their labor day sale. I really don't want to drop my whole rear end (hubs, brakes, suspension, RTA, etc). Is it possible to drop just the rear subframe and diff? If it is, then is it worth it to do it that way? Or is dropping the rear easier and better to do?

This will be on jack stands and in my garage. No lift or air tools.

My Cars
    Many
    I pulled the diff and disconnected the upper and lower control arms and dropped the diff carrier by itself. I did it alone on jack stands. Took me a good 8 hours to get it all done.

My Cars
    16' STI DD, 97' M3 Track
    Quote Originally Posted by darbyfam View Post
    I pulled the diff and disconnected the upper and lower control arms and dropped the diff carrier by itself. I did it alone on jack stands. Took me a good 8 hours to get it all done.
    That is what I want to do. Not to have to disconnect the brake lines, e-brake cables, or the RTA.

Went ahead and got some swaybar reinforcements as well as the camber arm weld-ins. Don't really need aftermarket camber arms ATM and didn't want to spend the extra couple hundred on them.

My Cars
    Many
    I am not sure if it's any easier overall to do it this way. Probably so working alone, but overall work - it's probably just as much.

My Cars
    16' STI DD, 97' M3 Track
    Well three weeks later I still haven't received my SF and diff bushing from Revshift. And not the best customer service either.

But on a better note I'll be at Dominion on Sunday doing an HPDE 2 session. Should be a good time. Will probably just bleed the brakes and check all the fluids before hand.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    90 325
    Revshift has been hit or miss. Sucks because the value is good.

Are you planning to do the trackdaze nov event at VIR?

What is your current springrate/swaybar setup? I'm torn on whether to change my front sway, and which to get.
    Back into a BMW, this time a track rat....and it won't be BMW powered and no, not a V8 either!
    Couldn't help myself, boosted e36 m52 street car in progress also!

My Cars
    16' STI DD, 97' M3 Track
    Quote Originally Posted by exvitermini2 View Post
    Revshift has been hit or miss. Sucks because the value is good.

Are you planning to do the trackdaze nov event at VIR?

What is your current springrate/swaybar setup? I'm torn on whether to change my front sway, and which to get.
    The subframe bushings and diff mounts finally came in. Everything looks good and I got it for a good deal so I really shouldn't be complaining. Just took like three weeks to get here.

As far as VIR I would love to but don't want to drive the car the 3+ hours to there. And I don't want to rent a trailer for $150/weekend plus another $400 for the event. So a bit in-between at the moment but likely not going to go. This winter I'm going to look for a cheap open car trailer.

My Cars
    16' STI DD, 97' M3 Track
    Update:

So last week I decided to start ripping apart my rear end after getting my Revshift 95A subframe bushings and diff mounts.

Overall the diff and subframe looked fine and the bushings looked to be OK. The inner control arm bushings seemed fine as well. The outer ball joints (on the rear hub) were shot tho. So I ordered four new ones.

After 190k miles (with no documentation or proof they were replaced) the bushings do not seem bad.

Last edited by GG Emerican; 10-02-2017 at 09:29 PM.

My Cars
    16' STI DD, 97' M3 Track
    Continued.

Got some Turner rear sway bar reinforcements and control arm reinforcements. Was debating on getting aftermarket control arms but I honestly don't need them. Got my camber to -2 deg with stock bolts. Don't want to spend money when it's not needed.

These will be in soon!

Got the bushings out with a buddy's 20 ton press. First time using a press and a little scared at first. 40,000 lbs is a lot of force and if the socket/cups weren't lined up it was good by subframe!

Also pressed out the bushings from the control/camber arms

Couldn't use the press for the diff (didn't want to remove the cover and it weighs too much to hold). Just drilled the rubber out and cut the sleeve the tapped it out with a screwdriver.

Tomorrow a friend from work is welding in the swaybar reinforcements. I'll then paint it and throw the bushings in and reinstall. Waiting on some new inner and outer upper/lower (rear) control arm bushings, then weld in the lower control arm reinforcements, press the new bushings in, and reinstall everything.

Will be interesting to see how the car will feel now.

Bonus pic of me at Dominion. Unfortunately no action shots

Last edited by GG Emerican; 10-02-2017 at 09:23 PM.

My Cars
    Spec3 & MCoupe
    As far as VIR I would love to but don't want to drive the car the 3+ hours to there. And I don't want to rent a trailer for $150/weekend plus another $400 for the event. So a bit in-between at the moment but likely not going to go. This winter I'm going to look for a cheap open car trailer.
    I drive my E36 to VIR for 5+ hours and it's not pleasant. Ear plugs required. Can't say I blame you for choosing to avoid that mess. Also, your photo links are broken.

My Cars
    16' STI DD, 97' M3 Track
    Quote Originally Posted by OCRentAPopo View Post
    I drive my E36 to VIR for 5+ hours and it's not pleasant. Ear plugs required. Can't say I blame you for choosing to avoid that mess. Also, your photo links are broken.
    I wouldn't mind driving it, its more thrashing on it all day and having to get it home if something goes wrong. Or holding back to prevent something from breaking. But the stiff fixed bucket seat + No radio wouldn't be fun either.

And you are right, I can't see the pics on my phone. They worked on Google Chrome but that may be because it was from Google photos. I'll have to find a new site to upload to since photobucket killed my others.

My Cars
    1993 325is
    But the stiff fixed bucket seat + No radio wouldn't be fun either.
    My stiff fixed bucket seat is actually very comfortable, even for long trips. And I use a bluetooth speaker (Bose Mini Soundlink) for music in the car when not racing.

My Cars
    16' STI DD, 97' M3 Track
    Quote Originally Posted by jakermac View Post
    My stiff fixed bucket seat is actually very comfortable, even for long trips. And I use a bluetooth speaker (Bose Mini Soundlink) for music in the car when not racing.
    Dunno what seat you got but I can barely take long trips in my stock 16' STI seats, let alone my cheap fixed back Corbeau. But maybe I'm making excuses to buy a trailer.

Pics should be fixed now... at least from my last post.

MINIz guy is offline #buttstuff2k14 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    rolls coal
    Noise is my biggest complaint with my E36. I just throw an extra pillow for lumbar on my fixed back seat.

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Pics are working now. Your pic of the car on jackstands with the front wheels on makes it look like there's not very much droop in the front suspension. You'll be lifting the inside front a BUNCH coming out of corners with that setup.

My Cars
    16' STI DD, 97' M3 Track
    Quote Originally Posted by jakermac View Post
    Pics are working now. Your pic of the car on jackstands with the front wheels on makes it look like there's not very much droop in the front suspension. You'll be lifting the inside front a BUNCH coming out of corners with that setup.
    May be a dumb question but how would I adjust it? Is it ride height related or sway bars? Or is it in the coilover set-up?

Last edited by GG Emerican; 10-03-2017 at 09:45 AM.

My Cars
    1993 325is
    I think it'd be related to the coilovers. I'm far from an expert though.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast