Thread: INJECTOR TESTING and FLOW by HorsepowerFreaks using ID 2000cc Injectors

My Cars
    2006 530i and 2006 330i

Thumbs up INJECTOR TESTING and FLOW by HorsepowerFreaks using ID 2000cc Injectors

There's been some discussion about injectors on these forums so I asked John to take our new ID 2000 injectors along with some other injectors and give a tutorial on injector flow rates and spray patterns as various fuel pressures and engine rpms. At the end he will show you a lower quality injector literally shut off from too much fuel pressure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oK2LGTPw2ls

HorsepowerFreaks.com
    12905 NE Airport Way
    Portland, OR 97230
    (503) 256-5600
    BMW Performance Parts
    Product questions or to purchase - sales@horsepowerfreaks.com

milKt is offline ßMW///MµrÐêr§þðr†
    My Cars
    95M3t 95M3 92525iT 95525
    http://www.injectordynamics.com/ID2000.html

They are setting the standard all right.

My Cars
    95 M3
    John stated the race car runs 60 psi fuel pressure and 30 psi of boost. With a one to one fuel reg, the fuel pressure raises to 90 psi (under boost), but your fuel flow calculations will still be at 60 psid, not 90 psid. Or did I miss something?
    WOT

My Cars
    E30 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by hsvturbo View Post
    John stated the race car runs 60 psi fuel pressure and 30 psi of boost. With a one to one fuel reg, the fuel pressure raises to 90 psi (under boost), but your fuel flow calculations will still be at 60 psid, not 90 psid. Or did I miss something?
    That is correct.

It´s the differential pressure across the injectors that determines the flow rate for a given pulsewidth.
    With great challenges comes great engineering.
    Gunni - IG : @gstuning_ & @pnpecu
    Don´t PM ME, I won´t see it

My Cars
    BMWs
    Yeah the PSI flow out of the nozzle will be reflecting the ambient pressure (1 atm + 2 bar) vs 90= 60, not 90 psi

You can think of it as needing excess pressure over ambient pressure in the manifold to fight the pressure back-flowing into the fuel rail.

AKA your fuel consumption is off based on your calculations.
    Last edited by 5mall5nail5; 10-29-2011 at 08:20 PM.

DUDMD is offline BMW Maniac Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by hsvturbo View Post
    That's what I was thinking, wouldn't the boost pressure in the intake manifold be acting against fuel coming out of the injector? Thus needing the FPR to bring up the pressure in order to keep the injector flowing the same.
    Performance Tuning and EWS Delete for MSS52/MSS54/MSS54HP/MS41/MS42/MS43/ME7.2/M5.2
    Virgnize DME service available to unlock DME to sync to another vehicle on EWS3 vehicles 98+. M5.2.1, M7.2, MS42, MS43, MS45, ME9.2 and more.

Easiest way to contact me is to send me a message on my facebook page "DUDMD Tuning"

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by DUDMD View Post
    That's what I was thinking, wouldn't the boost pressure in the intake manifold be acting against fuel coming out of the injector? Thus needing the FPR to bring up the pressure in order to keep the injector flowing the same.
    Yup - to inject a true 90 psi into the manifold the car would have to be running 30 psi and have a base pressure of 90 psi. Then the system would run 120 rail pressure, but net 90 psi with 30 psi of environmental pressure.