Thread: fan delete

My Cars
    '97 Z3 2.8

fan delete

i rebuilt the a/c but am still disappointed at low speeds. of course, i live in hell, er, arizona where it's tres hot. in discussion with mechanics, we've decided airflow at low speeds is the problem. so, replacing the mechanical fan with an electric puller fan seems the way to go. i wasn't planning on buying the aluminum shroud just for a street car.

i've been reading the archives and have some questions:

1. there is a temperature switch available that works off a sleeve that is inserted in the lower radiator hose, but i've read that the pusher fan for the a/c already has a temperature switch. can both fans be run off the existing a/c switch?

2. can anyone recommend the best fan kit if one is available?

thx a million.
    Last edited by tohbi; 09-07-2012 at 11:02 PM.

My Cars
    E368x2 / F15
    I think this is specific to the US S50/2 motor. But you can go by the list of parts and figure you application.

http://www.understeer.com/fanclutchmod.shtml

/
    //

My Cars
    see my signature
    I've used the flex-a-lite adjustable fan controller on my RX-8 (I'm in Tucson lol) and it has a temp probe that just gets inserted into any point on the radiator fins. You can wire switches to it as well, for override on, or override off, and set the trigger temperature exactly where you want it. I think I got mine through summit racing parts. It's also fairly intelligent too, as it will ramp the fan speed up or down, and won't stay running too long after the ignition is turned off. I even wired an LED from the fan leads to the dashboard so I could see if the fan was on or not; the brighter the LED, the higher the speed.
    Last edited by Chamberlin; 09-08-2012 at 12:44 AM.
    2006 R53 JCW (British Racing Green) - 1994 E31 840Ci 6spd (AVUS Blue)
    2021 F56 JCW (Rebel Green) - 2000 E38 740i Sport (Titanium Silver)
    2017 F26 X4 M40i (Carbon Black) - 2007 E91 328iT (Deep Green)
    2012 E82 135i M Sport (Marrakesh Brown) - 2015 E84 X1 (Cashmere Silver)
    2005 E53 X5 3.0i Sport (Kalahari Beige) - 2000 E36/7 M Roadster (Oxford Green)
    2000 E38 740i Sport (Oxford Green) - 1999 E36 M3 Coupe (Fern Green)
    1995 E31 840Ci Canadian (Oxford Green) - 2000 E36/8 M Coupe (Oxford Green)
    2004 E46 330Ci (Oxford Green) - 2001 E36/8 Z3 3.0i Coupe (Oxford Green)
    2002 E39 525i Sport (Oxford Green) - 2002 E36/7 M Roadster (Oxford Green)
    2001 E53 X5 3.0i Sport (Oxford Green) - 2007 E63 M6 (Silver Grey)
    1995 E31 840Ci (Oxford Green) - 2006 E86 M Coupe (Sepang Bronze)
    2001 E39 530i Sport (Aspen Silver) - 2009 E92 M3 (Space Grey)
    2001 E38 740i Sport (Sahara Beige) - 2008 E92 M3 (Melbourne Red)
    2000 E38 740i Sport Canadian (Sahara Beige) - 1997 E31 850Ci (Jet Black)

My Cars
    Audi B8.5 S4
    Oh, boy. I spent 6 years in Tucson, and let me tell you, it's nowhere NEAR close to 'tres hot.' Getting into a car in 110* heat (dry) is just plain uncomfortable. Getting into a car in 105* heat in 80% humidity is just suicidal! The moisture super-heats, and it seriously feels like your lungs are on FIRE with every breath. I've spent five months in the Persian Gulf, clocking 120* in the shade, with 100% humidity. I know HOT.

That said, when in Virginia (with the aforementioned conditions - 105* OAT, 80-100% humidity), I installed the Zionsville Autosport AL fan shroud/expansion tank along with a 16" SPAL puller fan, and ever since, my A/C has blown colder than ever. If you are considering a puller fan, consider the ZA fan shroud.
    Last edited by BMWBergy; 09-08-2012 at 01:32 AM.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    +1

The shroud is far more important the fan size. You want even air over the entire matrix. Air drawn around the sides of the matrix won't cool. A highspeed blast through the center 1/3 of the matrix only cools 1/3.

I have two Z3s running on the factory aux fan only. All of the baffles are in place, and the condensers and radiators are sealed so all the air has to go through them. The A/Cs work fine in heavy traffic here in swamps of Bergy's beloved Virginia.

/.randy

My Cars
    Z3M, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by tohbi View Post
    i rebuilt the a/c but am still disappointed at low speeds. of course, i live in hell, er, arizona where it's tres hot. in discussion with mechanics, we've decided airflow at low speeds is the problem. so, replacing the mechanical fan with an electric puller fan seems the way to go. i wasn't planning on buying the aluminum shroud just for a street car.

i've been reading the archives and have some questions:

1. there is a temperature switch available that works off a sleeve that is inserted in the lower radiator hose, but i've read that the pusher fan for the a/c already has a temperature switch. can both fans be run off the existing a/c switch?

2. can anyone recommend the best fan kit if one is available?

thx a million.
    I've tried running both fans off the the A/C switch and you will eventually blow a fuse.

Can you tell me more about rebuilding your A/C? Did you rebuild your compressor. I'm no longer getting cold air. When I used to press the AC button the RPMs used to dip down. Now it doesn't but when I release the button it goes up a tad. I'm assuming the clutch is shot in the compressor. Did you rebuild this?

Quote Originally Posted by Chamberlin View Post
    I've used the flex-a-lite adjustable fan controller on my RX-8 (I'm in Tucson lol) and it has a temp probe that just gets inserted into any point on the radiator fins. You can wire switches to it as well, for override on, or override off, and set the trigger temperature exactly where you want it. I think I got mine through summit racing parts. It's also fairly intelligent too, as it will ramp the fan speed up or down, and won't stay running too long after the ignition is turned off. I even wired an LED from the fan leads to the dashboard so I could see if the fan was on or not; the brighter the LED, the higher the speed.
    I'm using this adjustable fan controller too and it works great. Basically it allows you to install an electrical fan the "right way".

Like others said, the shroud is very important...make sure it's in place.
    -Phil

My Cars
    '97 Z3 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by Z-Thrizzle View Post
    I've tried running both fans off the the A/C switch and you will eventually blow a fuse.

Can you tell me more about rebuilding your A/C? Did you rebuild your compressor. I'm no longer getting cold air. When I used to press the AC button the RPMs used to dip down. Now it doesn't but when I release the button it goes up a tad. I'm assuming the clutch is shot in the compressor. Did you rebuild this?

I'm using this adjustable fan controller too and it works great. Basically it allows you to install an electrical fan the "right way".

Like others said, the shroud is very important...make sure it's in place.

thanks for the advice fellas.

i replaced condensor, hoses, expansion valve and dryer. the compressor was working but the high-side pressure was too low, or the low-side was too high, or..... anyway, i changed the compressor, too.

when i wrote that i wasn't adding a shroud, i meant the sheet-metal after-market shroud that seals the back of the radiator. maybe i should reconsider? i wonder if such a shroud would reduce the effect of the a/c pusher fan on the front?

the "adjustable fan controller" sounds interesting. is there a primer on the internet about this, or a company that sells such a package? or is this one of those situations where one has to buy each component from different manufacturers to get the best parts?

My Cars
    '97 Z3 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by Chamberlin View Post
    okay. in the interests of efficiency and cost, i'm thinking i'll use the flex-a-lite switch and a 16" low-profile spal fan, if a fan that large will fit.

question: chamberlin, you wrote that the fan won't run long after the ignition is off. does this mean you wired the fan directly to a hot source, not thru the ignition?

also, is oro valley still a speed trap? those cops used to be murder although when we were stopped one night, my cousin and i passed out drunk, a cop almost kissed our driver when he found he was sober. cop didn't realize lumpy is a worse driver sober than most of us are drunk.

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    +1

The shroud is far more important the fan size. You want even air over the entire matrix. Air drawn around the sides of the matrix won't cool. A highspeed blast through the center 1/3 of the matrix only cools 1/3.

I have two Z3s running on the factory aux fan only. All of the baffles are in place, and the condensers and radiators are sealed so all the air has to go through them. The A/Cs work fine in heavy traffic here in swamps of Bergy's beloved Virginia.
    What about a set-up like this w/o a shroud?

My Cars
    1997 z3 1.9
    I'm new to these cars and don't know much about them yet, just got a '97 z3 with the 1.9 engine a few weeks ago. It has an electric fan on it. Did it come from the factory like that?
    Thanks, Chuck

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Quote Originally Posted by spacecowboy View Post
    What about a set-up like this w/o a shroud?

What do you call that thing the two fans are mounted in? Or is that part of the packaging?
    Last edited by rf900rkw; 09-13-2012 at 09:55 AM.

/.randy

My Cars
    99 M Coupe LS Swap
    Quote Originally Posted by lewischuck2000 View Post
    I'm new to these cars and don't know much about them yet, just got a '97 z3 with the 1.9 engine a few weeks ago. It has an electric fan on it. Did it come from the factory like that?
    Thanks, Chuck
    Go to realoem.com. Most of your OEM part related questions will be answered there.
    Dan "PbFut" Rose

My Cars
    1997 z3 1.9
    They show a belt driven fan, I guess someone has already done the fan delete?
    Thanks, Chuck

My Cars
    see my signature
    Quote Originally Posted by tohbi

okay. in the interests of efficiency and cost, i'm thinking i'll use the flex-a-lite switch and a 16" low-profile spal fan, if a fan that large will fit.

question: chamberlin, you wrote that the fan won't run long after the ignition is off. does this mean you wired the fan directly to a hot source, not thru the ignition?

also, is oro valley still a speed trap? those cops used to be murder although when we were stopped one night, my cousin and i passed out drunk, a cop almost kissed our driver when he found he was sober. cop didn't realize lumpy is a worse driver sober than most of us are drunk.
    Haha, I live in Oro Valley, and although it hasn't been too bad in the last 5 years, I just heard yesterday that they are ramping up speed enforcement protocols on the main road this coming fall. Great cops though, couldn't ask for a more proffesional LE team...happy to be in the OV!

Yea I am pretty sure there was a hot fused wire straight from my battery to the fan controller. But I can't remember if there was an ACC ignition wire too. All I can say is that once it is set up and tuned, it worked perfect for 5 years, and I sold the car earlier this year with it still working. Just make sure your temp probe wires are protected and routed safely...mine got pinched and cut at some point, and next thing, my expansion tank was billowing steam (rotary engined are notoriously hot running) since the fan controller didn't have temp feedback. BTW, I also had a full computer system in the car, with OBDII monitoring, and I was able to set the fan controller to start coming on at precicely 185 deg F everytime using the OEM water temp sensors. I ran 85% water and you certainly want to stay ahead of any heating trends, as it is easier to keep things cool vs. trying to fight back down to an already high temp.

BTW, here is the write up on the install I did on my RX-8...appears there is an ACC line needed...

http://www.rx8club.com/do-yourself-f...roller-123326/
    Last edited by Chamberlin; 09-13-2012 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Quote Originally Posted by lewischuck2000 View Post
    They show a belt driven fan, I guess someone has already done the fan delete?
    Thanks, Chuck

97 four cylinders with A/C had an electric setup. This.

/.randy

My Cars
    1997 z3 1.9
    Thanks for the clarification.

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    What do you call that thing the two fans are mounted in? Or is that part of the packaging?
    A grill? The fans are sitting on top of black boxes.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    I can't tell enough from that pic. Here. This is what I'm talking about

Good

Very good

Bad

Even worse

And I can't quickly find a pic of the worst; a fan hung by itself several inches from the radiator.

/.randy