Thread: 73' 2002 resto.

My Cars
    73' BMW 2002, 81' C10

73' 2002 resto.

I just started emptying out and cleaning up my fathers old 2002. Not sure if it's a tii or not. Brief history is my father bought it out of a junkyard in the the 80's (totaled with front end damage) slapped a noes and some mods on it and beat it on the drag strip for a few years all while driving it on the road. Has been lowered and engine was rebuilt somewhere in time. After it got totaled for the second time (front end again) in 94' he started but never finished rebuilding it. It was buried past the rockers in the back yard for years and I dug it out last year. Floors aren't to bad with the trunk seeing the worst and the only noes I have is pretty rotted. Not sure if is worth a total rebuild or not but I'm thinking about patching it together and running it as a rat rod (beaters are neater as he always said) if it's too bad. One way or another it'll see pavement again.

Anyone out there know if there's any spots rust likes to hide unseen? or where to find an affordable new or used noes or the best places to look for parts? Any pointers would be appreciated I've found there's a lot of parts I can't get at the local shops. I'm going to have to start from the ground up so I'll be on this site a lot til it's done.

My Cars
    1974 estoril blue 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Jzagropski View Post
    I just started emptying out and cleaning up my fathers old 2002. Not sure if it's a tii or not. Brief history is my father bought it out of a junkyard in the the 80's (totaled with front end damage) slapped a noes and some mods on it and beat it on the drag strip for a few years all while driving it on the road. Has been lowered and engine was rebuilt somewhere in time. After it got totaled for the second time (front end again) in 94' he started but never finished rebuilding it. It was buried past the rockers in the back yard for years and I dug it out last year. Floors aren't to bad with the trunk seeing the worst and the only noes I have is pretty rotted. Not sure if is worth a total rebuild or not but I'm thinking about patching it together and running it as a rat rod (beaters are neater as he always said) if it's too bad. One way or another it'll see pavement again.

Anyone out there know if there's any spots rust likes to hide unseen? or where to find an affordable new or used noes or the best places to look for parts? Any pointers would be appreciated I've found there's a lot of parts I can't get at the local shops. I'm going to have to start from the ground up so I'll be on this site a lot til it's done.
    Congrats on starting this project! Im towards the end of the mechanical phase of my 2002 project. Next is some body and then I'm done! Are you on the 2002 FAQ forum? It is very active over there. Common rust spots are door sills, door bottoms, spare tire well and definitely shock towers.
    Lucky for you these cars are super easy and enjoyable to work on and for the most part a lot of the parts are fairly cheap.
    Here's a link to my restoration thread.
    http://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/top...a-2002-newbie/

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

My Cars
    M3
    Yeah congrats!

My Cars
    2002, 320is, 328is, M3
    Check out . https://www.bmw2002faq.com/
    You can still get a ton of metal from Germany. I got floor pans and front fenders last year. Lot of parts vendors over there also. You can kill a lot of the rust with ospho. Most hardware stores have it.

https://www.wallothnesch.com/
    Last edited by Cobra1956; 07-04-2018 at 02:12 AM.
    ME:"I want to make my car faster and lighter"
    THEM:" Get out and let someone else drive"