Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ICOM DIY/GUIDE [compatible with NCSEXPERT, WINKFP, et. al]

My Cars
    87', 89' E30, 04' S2000

ICOM DIY/GUIDE [compatible with NCSEXPERT, WINKFP, et. al]

This guide will cover the steps required to get a genuine icom [Should work with a clone] to work with the EDIABAS protocol and BMW Standard Tools 2.11. The guide assumes BMW Standard Tools has been properly installed and configured. The guide arose out of the need for one; since this info is held very secretly in other forums or written in poor chicken scratch English.

What you will need
    1. http://www.4shared.com/rar/vfqycv4I/ITool_Radar.html
      Password: {bimmerforums}
    2. ICOM

Steps

• Plug in the ICOM into the OBDII port
    • Edit EDIABAS.INI with the following
      Interface= REMOTE
      Remotehost= "self-assigned ip address"
    • Plug in the ICOM into your laptops Ethernet port
    • Wait until it self assigns an ip address
    • Open iTools radar (extract to your Program Files directory, not Program Files (x86) if 64 bit)
    • Your ICOM will appear in the window with a self assigned IP address i.e [169.254.xxx.xxx]*may be different in your case. adjust accordingly for the rest of the guide.
    • Highlight your ICOM in iTools radar and click on RESERVE*important!

That's it! Open up INPA and the status LED's will now work--so will the entire EDIABAS suite.

Quote Originally Posted by lynxbmw View Post
    Remote.ini contains settings for both MOST and DiagBus, how do you control which one is used during flash?

• By defining Interface = REMOTE:NAME in EDIABAS.INI

• REMOTE:MOST (To use MOST)
      • REMOTE: DiagBus (To use DiagBus)

You can use only one bus at a time, switching require ediabas restart.
    If anyone has anything to add--feel free. Have yet to make it work through into a GT1 VM (may just have to adjust subnets on the virtual network interfaces to match the IANA self assigned ip address). If you have a K+DCAN cable it may just be easier to use that for GT1.

By using this method you bypass all of this; as you can see saving yourself alot of time and headache. Since STATIC_IP is only required for EDIABAS functionality but DHCP is a must for ISTA/P, ISID usage.

1. Put this on blank txt file called "user.settings"

ConnectionMode = STATIC_IP Ip = 192.168.68.85 Netmask = 255.255.255.0 Gateway = 192.168.68.99

2.Set you laptop to static ip: 192.168.68.99

3.Download firmware files from ISIS server to your laptop.

4.Put file user.settings on FAT32 formated USB stick on the root of the stick.

5.Power off ICOM and connect usb stick to it.

6.Power on ICOM with stick connected and you will see the ICOM start falshing red.

7.Wait till all leds is greeen and connect ethernet cable between ICOM and your laptop and disconnect USB stick.

8.Start a webbrowser : 192.168.68.85:600809.Login to the ICOM and start firmware update with files witch already downloaded from server to your laptop.

10.After updates is finnish power off your ICOM for 5 minutes and power on again,after that you will see your ICOM in WSM.

Use connection mode DHCP and IP,Netmask to 0.0.0.0
    Last edited by newtoe46; 10-19-2015 at 05:02 PM.

My Cars
    With wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by newtoe46 View Post
    This guide will cover the steps required to get a genuine icom [Should work with a clone] to work with the EDIABAS protocol and BMW Standard Tools 2.11. The guide assumes BMW Standard Tools has been properly installed and configured. The guide arose out of the need for one; since this info is held very secretly in other forums or written in poor chicken scratch English.

What you will need
    1. <a href="http://www.4shared.com/folder/TbRKra87/itools.html">iTools Radar</a>
    2. ICOM

Steps

Interface= REMOTE
    • Open iTools radar
    • Your ICOM will appear in the window with a self assigned IP address i.e [169.254.xxx.xxx]*may be different in your case. adjust accordingly for the rest of the guide.
    That's it! Open up INPA and the status LED's will now work--so will the entire EDIABAS suite.

If anyone has anything to add--feel free. Have yet to make it work through into a GT1 VM (may just have to adjust subnets on the virtual network interfaces to match the IANA self assigned ip address). If you have a K+DCAN cable it may just be easier to use that for GT1.

By using this method you bypass all of this; as you can see saving yourself alot of time and headache. Since STATIC_IP is only required for EDIABAS functionality but DHCP is a must for ISTA/P, ISID usage.
    Thank you

My Cars
    2000 E46 330i
    I have tried and it worked great.
    Only problem I encounter is, after I reserved the ICOM, and I forgot to release it after I finish.
    Now when I plug the icom in, it always shows N/A, how do I clear this?
    I tried another computer, it works fine, so it's definitely not the ICOM, must be something I can clear on the computer.
    2000 BMW E46 330i
    updated taillights, wide screen monitor, Digital TV tuner, ipod interface, bluetooth interface, MK 4 navigation...
    plus 10 hours of research, and 2 hours of wiring modification.

My Cars
    2005 BMW 525D E61
    Hello I tried it today and got this error.. ???? any Idea pleas?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Harrycz4; 04-05-2013 at 06:12 AM.

My Cars
    BMW 330CI DropTop
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrycz4 View Post
    Hello I tried it today and got this error.. ???? any Idea pleas?
    Place the itool radar folder in the program files directory.

My Cars
    2005 BMW 525D E61
    Quote Originally Posted by Beemer187 View Post
    Place the itool radar folder in the program files directory.
    Thank you work now...

My Cars
    bmw328i
    Hi, thanks for all the info
    what is the actual phrase in ediabas.ini for """""Remotehost= "self-assigned ip address"""""""""?
    do u have a guide for connecting ENET cable to INPA? (I mean ediabas.ini configuration)
    regards, nasserkarbassi@yahoo.com

My Cars
    87', 89' E30, 04' S2000
    Quote Originally Posted by nasserkarbassi View Post
    Hi, thanks for all the info
    what is the actual phrase in ediabas.ini for """""Remotehost= "self-assigned ip address"""""""""?
    do u have a guide for connecting ENET cable to INPA? (I mean ediabas.ini configuration)
    regards, nasserkarbassi@yahoo.com
    It is whatever IP the ICOM gets from the PC.

I'm not familiar with the ENET cable.

My Cars
    E90
    Hi
    Tried to download the file, but its giving error that password is incorrect.
    OP any help?

My Cars
    BMW E90
    Quote Originally Posted by rustamabd View Post
    Thanks but how do I make use of the MOST channel e.g. to flash CCC via MOST? The MOST channel runs on another port (6802), should I put that in ediabas.ini? Is there a better way to be able to choose MOST vs DiagBus without having to restart ediabas? Also, how do I switch between MOST/Async, MOST/Sync and MOST/Control sub-channels?

Yes, I am also interested in howto config the ICOM for MOST coding. Can not get it to work.

Have you fixed it Rustamabd? I am from NL to..
    PM me if you can.

My Cars
    e36 391rwhp
    Quote Originally Posted by newtoe46 View Post

What you will need
    1. <a href="http://www.4shared.com/folder/TbRKra87/itools.html">iTools Radar</a>
    2. ICOM

Steps

Interface= REMOTE
    • Open iTools radar

hello
    iam trying to access the download but the password is wrong
    i cannot download the itool radar.
    please your advice
    thanks

My Cars
    Hi all!
    My question is: is it possible to use ICOM with DIS. I have tried it more times but it did't work. I have
    ICOM with newest firmware and DIS v57 on a vmware machine. DIS is working fine with a DCAN cable.
    Settings of ICOM:

DiscoverMode: STATIC_IP
    IP: 192.168.68.85
    Netmask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 192.168.68.99

INPA is working perfectly both with version 7.3.0 and 6.4.7 of EDIABAS with these settings when I set iToolRadar to reserve.
    What I have tried first:

All 3 network adapter of the virtual machine is bridged, remotehost of DIS in EDIABAS.INI is set to 192.168.68.85, and the same setting written into /etc/hosts -file. I can ping it from virtual machine and apitest is also running, but I can not see diaghead in connection setup.
    Another try:

The virtual machine is configured as if I used it with DCAN cable, and version 6.4.7 of EDIABAS is running on machine, and diagheadc emulator v1.2. So I can see the emulated diaghead in connection setup, but it is still not working. The problem is that if I set in EDIABAS.INI to use ICOM, interface = REMOTE and Remotehost = 192.168.68.85. And the head is set to reserve with iToolRadar. Inpa is running so but IFHSRV32.exe can not get started.

Windows firewall is off.

Does somebody have any idea to get this stuff work. ISID 3.1 is working perfectly if DiscoverMode APIPA. I need DIS because I know pretty much all of it but I need to learn ISID.

Thanks!

My Cars
    530DA E39 Touring Pack M
    You better have to learn how ISTA/D is working, it's way better than the old, slow, ugly and buggy DIS... In the help section of ISTA/D you have plenty of instructions.

My Cars
    07 650i, 75 Caddy CDV
    Thanks to the OP for putting this up. Like a few others, I found I need to update a few modules on the car and the CAN cable is not sufficient, so I recently bought a used ICOM A+B+C with no software - and no idea how to use it! With my "hybrid" car (CIC/combox in an e63 6er - that model never saw a combox OEM) I became comfortable with NCS, INPA, TIS/DIS, WinKFP, etc. I used those tools to code and to flash "downgrade" my ZBE module when I wanted my original CCC High iDrive controller to work with my "new" CIC. Now I have retrofitted the later multi-button controller.

I understand that ISTA is not needed for what I want to do. I read that its use is really for times when you want to run your whole car through an update session (what my dealer did for me soon after I bought mine used) - not for single modules?

If we can stick with WinKFP and Tool32 for our limited needs, then this guide is welcome and here's hoping for a smooth v41 update to my CIC: 63, 62, A0... Bring on ConnectedDrive!
    Last edited by djcwardog; 10-22-2013 at 09:02 AM. Reason: typos
    Sincerely,

djcwardog
    2007 650i, Sport, 6M stick shift, loaded, now with CIC/combox retrofitted

My Cars
    07 650i, 75 Caddy CDV
    OK, I am almost there. First off, be sure that you have the exact folder name: ITOOL RADAR. No "S" on tool, and a space between the words. This is the folder that the program expects to see in your "Program Files" directory. Once I got the folder name exactly, my errors went away and the program loaded up. I could not get the ICOM to work with INPA - yet. I used "REMOTE" in the .ini file per this thread and I got an IP Address to resolve for the ICOM - then I set it to "RESERVE." For tomorrow I will try "STATIC_IP" instead of Remote...trying Qwerti's solution. Once I get INPA to work then I am confident that the other tools will work also. Of course, I did not get far enough to determine if my MOST (ICOM B) reader works...
    Sincerely,

djcwardog
    2007 650i, Sport, 6M stick shift, loaded, now with CIC/combox retrofitted

My Cars
    87', 89' E30, 04' S2000
    Quote Originally Posted by rdg View Post
    Yes, I am also interested in howto config the ICOM for MOST coding. Can not get it to work.

Have you fixed it Rustamabd? I am from NL to..
    PM me if you can.
    I haven't had a chance to look into MOST coding through NCSEXPERT. I rarely deal with newer chassis.

Reset password to {bimmerforums}
    Last edited by newtoe46; 11-05-2013 at 03:30 PM.

My Cars
    2006 bmw 530
    I have BMW rheingold 3.41 i also have a genuine icom and also usb d-can cable but i cant seem to connect to the vehicle does anyone have any instructions on how to connect i keep getting this error message about "unable to identify vehicle"

My Cars
    BMW X3 E83 2006

Still, my question is unanswered: How to switch the ICOM to use the MOST channel for flashing CCC/CIC/etc? What to put in InitCmd0? Same as for OPPS, FE 04 00 85, or something else?
    How about this?
    Ediabas.ini to port 6802 and what else?

My Cars
    98 318ti
    I cannot get inpa to use Icom I added:
    Interface = REMOTE
    RemoteHost = 169.254.92.38
    Port = 6801
    at the top of ediabas.ini and commented out:
    ;Interface = STD:OBD

ITool Radar reserves the head but inpa gives error code:

EDIABAS-Error
    ApiInit: Error #159
    NET-0009: TIMEOUT
    API initialization error
    No API calls possible!

INPALOAD.exe shows interface as blank but if I uncomment the std:obd interface it std:obd shows in INPALOAD.exe.

untitled.jpg

any ideas on how to get past this error?
    Last edited by jansbmw; 03-21-2014 at 12:04 PM.

My Cars
    e92 330dA
    Ave guys
    I still have same problem as jansbmw above. May someone know how to solve out.
    Thanx

My Cars
    Alpina B12 5.7 B3 3.0 R
    What kind of OS you use? My system is running under XP in a VMWare environment. I reserve the head with ITool (IP 169.254.92.38) the Network Adapter on the notebook is for "receive automatically IP address" configured. works perfect.

Here is the Ediabas.ini:

;#################
    ;# EDIABAS 7.3.0 #
    ;#################
    ;================================================= ============================
    [Configuration]
    Interface =REMOTE
    Simulation = 0
    EcuPath =C:\EDIABAS\ECU
    SimulationPath =C:\EDIABAS\SIM
    TracePath =C:\EDIABAS\TRACE
    TraceSize = 1024
    ApiTrace = 0
    IfhTrace = 0
    ; IfhnTrace = 0
    ; SystemTraceSys = 0
    ; SystemTraceBip = 0
    ; SystemTraceIfh = 0
    ; SystemTraceNet = 0
    ; BipDebugLevel = 0
    ; BipErrorLevel = 0
    UbattHandling = 0
    IgnitionHandling = 0
    ClampHandling = 0
    RetryComm = 1
    SystemResults = 1
    TaskPriority = 0
    ; CodeMapping = C:\EC-Apps\EDIABAS\BIN\ansi2oem.tab
    ; LoadWin32 = 0
    NetworkProtocol = TCP
    ; --- neu ab EDIABAS 7.2.0 ---------------------------------------------------
    ShowIcon = 1
    LogLevel = 0
    TraceBuffering = 0
    TraceHistory = 0
    TraceSync = 1
    ; TraceWriter = <FilePathName>
    [TCP]
    ;RemoteHost = self-assigned ip address
    Port = 6801
    TimeoutConnect = 2000
    TimeoutReceive = 2000
    TimeoutFunction = 10000
    ; TimeResponsePending = 5000
    ; DisconnectOnApiEnd = 1
    ; InitCmd0 = FE,04,00,03,01
    ; InitCmd1 = FD,05,00,03,01
    Last edited by EWBR; 04-12-2014 at 07:47 AM.

My Cars
    E90
    I am getting an BMW-VCI@Unsupported in Win7 64bit. Any idea?

My Cars
    2013 750iX
    For ICOM you can put this in ediabas.ini:
    Interface = REMOTE
    Port = 6801

Before each use don't forget to Reserve the ICOM using itools or via the web interface (port 60080)

Still, my question is unanswered: How to switch the ICOM to use the MOST channel for flashing CCC/CIC/etc? What to put in InitCmd0? Same as for OPPS, FE 04 00 85, or something else?
    Good, now to get MOST working you need to adjust settings in REMOTE.ini, not EDIABAS.ini.
    See my REMOTE.ini for example.

;#### Remote.ini Musterdatei für OPPS Firmware Version kleiner 625 ####

[Base]
    ek_info = Einfacher Betrieb im Automatik - Router Modus
    RemoteHost=169.254.33.45
    port = 6801
    InitCmd0 = FE 04 00 85
    DisconnectOnApiEnd = 1

[DiagBus]
    ek_info = Mehrfachbetrieb: Nutzt nur K-Line, gibt MOST frei
    RemoteHost=169.254.33.45
    port = 6801
    InitCmd0 = FE 05 00 80 05
    DisconnectOnApiEnd = 1

[MOST]
    ek_info = Mehrfachbetrieb: Nutzt MOST, gibt K-Line frei
    RemoteHost=169.254.33.45
    port = 6802
    InitCmd0 = FE 05 00 80 01
    DisconnectOnApiEnd = 1

[MOST_CTRL]
    ek_info = Mehrfachbetrieb: Nutzt MOST, Asynchronkanal gesperrt, gibt K-Line frei
    RemoteHost=169.254.33.45
    port =6802
    ;Asynchron ausschalten
    InitCmd1 = FD 05 00 03 00
    DisconnectOnApiEnd = 1

[MOST_ASYNC]
    ek_info = Mehrfachbetrieb: Nutzt MOST mit Asynchronkanal, gibt K-Line frei
    RemoteHost=169.254.33.45
    port =6802
    ;Asynchron einschalten
    InitCmd1 = FD 05 00 03 01
    ;Ab 190 Bytes Telegrammlängen Asynchronkanal benutzen
    InitCmd2 = FD 06 00 97 BE 00
    DisconnectOnApiEnd = 1

[AUTO_ASYNC]
    ek_info = Einfachbetrieb mit automatischer Umschaltung K-Line / MOST, Kontroll / Asynchronkanal
    RemoteHost=169.254.33.45
    port = 6802
    ; Router auf MOST
    InitCmd0 = FE 04 00 01
    ;Asynchron einschalten
    ; Router wieder auf Automatik
    InitCmd3 = FE 04 00 00
    DisconnectOnApiEnd = 1

[MOST_MASTER]
    ek_info = OPPS Most-Master und Clock-Master
    RemoteHost=169.254.33.45
    port = 6802
    InitCmd0 = FE 04 00 01
    InitCmd1 = FD 06 00 01 01 01
    DisconnectOnApiEnd = 1

;#### Remote.ini Musterdatei für OPPS Firmware Version ab 625 ####

; Ab Firmware Version 625 ist das OBD Interface fest auf Port 6801 und das MOST Interface
    ; fest auf Port 6802. Parallelbetrieb sofort erlaubt.
    ; Obacht! Router Kommandos sind ab dieser Version _verboten_ (Init CMDs mit FE am Anfang)

[OBD_ab625]
    ek_info = OPPS Betrieb mit OBD Interface, also K-Line oder D-CAN
    RemoteHost=169.254.33.45
    ;Dieser Port hat _immer_ das OBD Interface, also K-Line oder D-CAN
    port = 6801

[MOST_CTRL_ab625]
    ek_info = OPPS Betrieb mit MOST Interface, Asynchronkanal gesperrt
    RemoteHost = 169.254.33.45
    ; Dieser Port hat _immer_ das MOST Interface
    port = 6802
    ; Asynchronkanal sperren
    InitCmd0= FD 05 00 03 00

[MOST_ASYNC_ab625]
    ek_info = OPPS Betrieb mit MOST Interface, Asynchronkanal erlaubt
    RemoteHost = 169.254.33.45
    ; Dieser Port hat _immer_ das MOST Interface
    port =6802
    ; Asynchronkanal erlauben
    InitCmd0= FD 05 00 03 01
    ; ab 0 Bytes Asynchronkanal benutzen
    InitCmd1= FD 06 00 97 00 00
    ; Bei Steuergeräten, die den Asynchronkanal nicht unterstützen,
    ; und bei Telegrammen Mit SID != 0x36 wird automatisch der Kontrollkanal verwendet

[MOST_MASTER_ab625]
    ek_info = OPPS Most-Master und Clock-Master
    RemoteHost=169.254.33.45
    port =6802
    InitCmd0 = FD 06 00 01 01 01
    DisconnectOnApiEnd = 1

My Cars
    2011 535i M-Sport
    What is the benefit or reason for using MOST vs DiagBus for flashing devices on MOST ring? Speed?

And since Remote.ini contains settings for both MOST and DiagBus, how do you control which one is used during flash?

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
    2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE

My Cars
    2013 750iX
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
    What is the benefit or reason for using MOST vs DiagBus for flashing devices on MOST ring? Speed?
    Don't have deep knowledge on that, but I think speed is faster on MOST.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
    And since Remote.ini contains settings for both MOST and DiagBus, how do you control which one is used during flash?
    By defining Interface = REMOTE:name in EDIABAS.ini
    e.g.
    Interface = REMOTE:MOST # for using MOST
    Interface = REMOTEiagBus # for DiagBus

That's all you need in EDIABAS.ini
    Don't specify host and port as they are already defined in REMOTE.ini

Thanks but how do I make use of the MOST channel e.g. to flash CCC via MOST? The MOST channel runs on another port (6802), should I put that in ediabas.ini? Is there a better way to be able to choose MOST vs DiagBus without having to restart ediabas?
    Nope, you cannot switch without restart ediabas, because you can declare only 1 port per profile.

Also, how do I switch between MOST/Async, MOST/Sync and MOST/Control sub-channels?
    You can talk to only one of them, switching require ediabas restart, or you can use multiple init commands, e.g.

[AUTO_ASYNC]
    ek_info = Einfachbetrieb mit automatischer Umschaltung K-Line / MOST, Kontroll / Asynchronkanal
    RemoteHost=opps_name
    port = 6802
    ; Router auf MOST
    InitCmd0 = FE 04 00 01
    ;Asynchron einschalten
    ; Router wieder auf Automatik
    InitCmd3 = FE 04 00 00
    DisconnectOnApiEnd = 1
    Last edited by lynxbmw; 08-05-2014 at 03:51 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast