Thread: Oil cooler cap

My Cars
    1997 M3/4/5

Oil cooler cap

I'm looking into running an oil cooler setup like the one from rallyroad.

http://www.rallyroad.net/content/oil-cooler-cap

However my oil filter cap is not the one with a bolt and nut fastener. I have a plastic cap where the oil filter body is threaded and the perimeter of the cap is threaded, like in the image attached.

Is there a way I can swap to the other style cap so I can run this oil cooler cap?
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1999 BMW M Coupe
    You can probably get the s52 oil cooler housing pretty cheap on the forum. I just sold my old one for like $60
    1999 M Coupe

My Cars
    Audi B8.5 S4
    My filter housing is available... please PM me.

My Cars
    BMW
    As the guys above stated you'll need to convert from the M52 oil filter housing to either the M50, S50, or S52 housing (all three of these are the same) to use the RallyRoad, UUC, etc oil distribution caps.

-James

My Cars
    Audi B8.5 S4
    Quote Originally Posted by ECSTuning View Post
    As the guys above stated you'll need to convert from the M52 oil filter housing to either the M50, S50, or S52 housing (all three of these are the same) to use the RallyRoad, UUC, etc oil distribution caps.

-James
    James,

So the S52 unit is directly compatible? I see the gasket part # is the same in real OEM, but 2 of the 3 housing-to-block mounting bolts are 5mm longer in the M52 application. How about alternator and pulley mounting on the filter housing - same for M52 and S52?

My Cars
    1997 M3/4/5
    From some searching I found that I may need a new power steering pump bracket. This was for the M50 housing though, so I'm not sure if it applies to the s52 housing.

Edit: if they're all the same then it seems so.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Since you have to change the filter housing anyway, why not skip the crap and go straight to the S-54 housing that has built in provision for an oil cooler, including a thermstatic bypass, for faster oil warm ups (from cold starts)?

With the cap-type, you're dealing with extra hoses and seals every time you do a simple oil change. Not something I'd want to deal with.

My Cars
    1997 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    Since you have to change the filter housing anyway, why not skip the crap and go straight to the S-54 housing that has built in provision for an oil cooler, including a thermstatic bypass, for faster oil warm ups (from cold starts)?

With the cap-type, you're dealing with extra hoses and seals every time you do a simple oil change. Not something I'd want to deal with.
    Sounds even better. Would it still require a new PS pump bracket?

My Cars
    z3 02' 3.0i coupe, 99M3
    Or you can go really simple with the Champion plate, see this thread.http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...light=champion Dave Weaver at EconMotorosports in PA sell's them new. I did the s54 housing on my 99M3, I think the plate would have been simpler. 2cents

My Cars
    89 750iL | 91 325iX
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post

+1 what he said

S54 oil cooler parts are pretty reasonable compared to aftermarket setups as well

My Cars
    Audi B8.5 S4
    While this is geared toward S52s, it might give you some information to consider.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...Options-thread
    Last edited by BMWBergy; 07-27-2013 at 08:43 PM.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by bmellott View Post
    Or you can go really simple with the Champion plate, see this thread.http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...light=champion Dave Weaver at EconMotorosports in PA sell's them new. I did the s54 housing on my 99M3, I think the plate would have been simpler. 2cents
    That's pretty cool, but I have to wonder how that affects alternator mounting (and non-standard belt length) and clearance to power steering pump. I'd like to see what both sides of the block look like, and with it all on an assembled engine.

Dedicated Accusump port is a nice feature.

My Cars
    Audi B8.5 S4
    I don't like the fact that all the sensor ports on that Champion plate are located at the back. Not that there's any room to accommodate them on the front, but being back there doesn't exactly make them accessible!