Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Features and mods you wish were available?

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster

Features and mods you wish were available?

I'm sure we all love our cars, but wish they had a feature or two--that's why we mod them. But what about the things for which there is no option to modify? Or rather, they can be modified, but it's a very long, difficult DIY process? I'm not talking about cupholders (which are, let's be honest, pretty pitiful) or aux jacks. I'm talking about things that were never offered, and for which no aftermarket option exists.

Just curious as to what your "unobtanium" mod list would look like. Here's how mine starts off:

1) A clear third brake light. M Roadster owners kind of get hosed on this, as our cars didn't receive the "facelift" trunk lid & LED brake light and instead simply got clear turn signal lenses. I would love to see a company make a clear lens w/ LEDs, but until then I don't know any way to fab one on my own.

2) Blue-tinted side mirrors. Non-M owners might be able to find a replacement glass from a different model car that fits in the housing (I haven't checked) but M owners have oval-shaped side mirrors that are exclusive to our cars. No other BMW uses mirror glass in that size & shape.

I'm attempting to create them on my own, but it involves cutting and polishing glass. So far, I've spent about $40 and cut myself more times than I can count. I'll make a DIY thread if I ever figure it out.

3) European headlights. This one drives me nuts because every other BMW model had US-specific headlights, and EU-specific ones--the latter typically having an ellipsoid low beam, and sometimes (as with my E36s) yellow lens high-beams. But our Zs have only the one headlight, and that's it. I'm not a fan of the aftermarket options that look like early 00's add-ons, and I'm not looking forward to hours and hours of test-fitting a retrofit (which I will do anyway, begrudgingly).

So what are your options you'd like to see? And if there's actually a solution, feel free to present it.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Roadster
    I hear you on the headlights.

Different interior panels made from a different material. The plastic BMW used is not tolerant of heat, aging, or the endless bombardment of sunlight.

A different soft top design that could use a glass window or at least not fking fold it in half.

A better-designed front bumper cover for the M versions that has better airflow. The current aftermarket options all look disgustingly tacky and basically none of the body kits have any harmony with the design language of the Z3, period.

My Cars
    1996 z3
    I would love to have a backup camera and maybe a few more seats to choose from

My Cars
    z3
    My car has all that except the third brake light (tacky imo, when I had a Z4 I went from clear to red). Blue mirrors are abailable aftermarket from time to time in the UK. I dont have mine installed yet, have to glue a proper base to the back of the glass, but its out there. SkyZ retrofit headlights

What would I like...

Aux-in, but that can easily be added
    Quick-change diff ratio - that'd be sweet, undo a few bolts, pop out the pumpkin, pop in a 2.85 and enjoy the sweet sweet mpg, get to a canyon road, pull over, pop in a 3.46
    CELIS tail lights - they have nice cutoff style angel eyes now, so matching newer style tails would really take a few decades of the look of our cars
    Last edited by BimmerBreaker; 04-06-2018 at 12:13 PM.

My Cars
    2000 m roadster
    A decent supercharger kit that uses a vortech blower and provides enough space for piping the intercooler.

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    An option for a train horn (working on a setup of sorts on my Coupe) for those days when I seem invisible on the road.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

ok , you say "options" vs say better interior plastic as mentioned,

let me try to be reasonable:

sport seat options

cloth options (vs leather only)

short throw gear lever

lsd options

M upgrades avail ( like say dash gauges etc etc)

adjustable suspension

front view camera( I would not have known this prior to owning, but I can NEVER judge the nose on this car)..actually Im not sure I need a camera...lol...its a sports car....
    Last edited by jrkoupe; 04-06-2018 at 01:00 PM.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe, 02 Z3 2.5
    I’ll play. I’d love to see this car with AWD and switch to go from RWD to AWD. Just to see how it would behave on the track and pick what I felt like driving on that particular day.
    1999 M Coupe Boston Green, Beige, H&R/Bilsteins, Underdrive Pulleys, Euro 6 speed, UUC SSK and Randy Forbes in the back
    2002 2.5 Z3 roadster Oxford Green, auto, all stock
    2013 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Dually 385 HP, 850 ft lbs torque at 1600 rpm, all stock and staying that way
    2004 Mini Cooper Chili Red, daily driver, modified almost daily

can we be reasonable?...lol...itll be more fun if we are

what sports car, or any car, excluding trucks ? go from awd to 2 wd? and back?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by s8ilver View Post
    An option for a train horn (working on a setup of sorts on my Coupe) for those days when I seem invisible on the road.
    ha..my arctic silver coupe is very unseen......lol...i drive it like a bike

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    It's all been done. Well, not the AWD that I'm aware of. But clear brake lights are available from BMW, seats have been reupholstered..... and.... well Alex did put the train horn in his MG Midget rather than his coupe, but close enough.

/.randy

not quite "all"......cmon now.....

its been done maybe in private hands ,yes......

isnt this about what we woulda liked to have avail as "options from the dealer?"
    Last edited by jrkoupe; 04-06-2018 at 01:58 PM.

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    This thread didn't go the way I intended, but it's a fun read nonetheless

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Mushman View Post
    This thread didn't go the way I intended, but it's a fun read nonetheless

what did u hope for?......I kinda liked the idea.

lets get it on track...no pun intended

My Cars
    z3

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Below would be my list of options available from BMW not aftermarket.
    - Spoiler, skirt, diffuser, canards and splitter options
    - Rim/tire sizes and variety rim designs
    - Push start
    - Perimeter keyless entry and the above
    - More options and places for console gages. Maybe for M only.
    - Roll cage/bar option with harness for M
    - Brembo brake kit
    - Stainless steel lines for pretty much everything pressurized
    - adjustable suspension
    - improved subframe/trunk floor and dif mount
    oh boy, my list could go on...
    Last edited by DimrBimmer; 04-06-2018 at 02:47 PM.

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    $140k and automatic only...should've never sold my E34 M5.

600hp sounds nice though! I find that interior rather hideous. My eyes have no idea what to focus on.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

ss lines are very sexy.....I have on track car.....buuuuuuut it does seem to me that unless really monitored and kept fresh they can offer catastrophic failure more often than rubber. That being said, manufacturers would not offer them

any1 know if any new car comes equipped w/ ss lines?

push start sounds great

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by s8ilver View Post
    $140k and automatic only...should've never sold my E34 M5.

600hp sounds nice though! I find that interior rather hideous. My eyes have no idea what to focus on.

geez, w/ all these new options, gizmos etc etc, most of these new cars will not be able to get fixed/repaired once out of warranty by most mortal folks. Im serious......seems silly.

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    2) Blue-tinted side mirrors. Non-M owners might be able to find a replacement glass from a different model car that fits in the housing (I haven't checked) but M owners have oval-shaped side mirrors that are exclusive to our cars. No other BMW uses mirror glass in that size & shape.
    Not sure if non-m owners can find replacement glass from other bmw, but when I needed one, local car mirrors shop cut one in like 10 minutes for like 10$.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LannVouivre View Post
    The current aftermarket options all look disgustingly tacky and basically none of the body kits have any harmony with the design language of the Z3, period.
    CarLine front bumper seems to have very nice design. Some say it's even better than OEM bumpers design.

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    1) A clear third brake light. M Roadster owners kind of get hosed on this, as our cars didn't receive the "facelift" trunk lid & LED brake light and instead simply got clear turn signal lenses. I would love to see a company make a clear lens w/ LEDs, but until then I don't know any way to fab one on my own.
    clear brake light on m.jpg

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    For me the biggest wish is seat bases made from titanium. And OEM led retrofits instead of most bulbs would be nice.

seats bases made of Ti?......why?

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Wire knockoffs, a longer forward lifting hood with a more pronounced hump and real louvers, single oval grill, real wood steering wheel with three drilled aluminum spokes, 12 cylinders, slightly more spartan interior but every surface swathed in leather and with more switches and knobs and things, chrome bumpers, that sound, my youth back.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bingley View Post
    Wire knockoffs, a longer forward lifting hood with a more pronounced hump and real louvers, single oval grill, real wood steering wheel with three drilled aluminum spokes, 12 cylinders, slightly more spartan interior but every surface swathed in leather and with more switches and knobs and things, chrome bumpers, that sound, my youth back.
    so like this:
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Quote Originally Posted by jrkoupe View Post

what sports car, or any car, excluding trucks ? go from awd to 2 wd? and back?

A lot of these can, but you don't have a lever so much, software control... but you can turn it off, and on again. Front diff is locked full time, differential job is handled by transfer case.

IMG_20171202_095949re.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

The older versions had a simple electric motor controlling it, so it would be possible to control it with a toggle switch. New ones as this have a brushless motor.
    Last edited by 328 Power 04; 04-06-2018 at 06:43 PM.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    z3
    On facelift E53's (and maybe E70's) you can pull a fuse and they go from AWD to RWD too

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast