Thread: E60 Newbie... Lots of questions so be gentle with me...😁

My Cars
    2010 E60

E60 Newbie... Lots of questions so be gentle with me...😁

I just picked up my new-to-me 2010 535i (E60)

1. When I plug my phone into the AUX cable jack (3.5mm) I can't select "AUX" on my head unit... the screen button lights up and it looks like it's accepting the command, but it doesn't actually change... I can go from FM-AM-WB, but nothing happens when I click AUX... does the head unit aux ONLY work with USB jack? (I haven't tried connecting a USB cable to it yet) Is mine not functioning properly?

2 Does my sound system even HAVE the subwoofers under the seats?... I hear bass, and there are speaker grills under the seats, but the bass is so anemic and it doesn't sound like it's coming from under the seats (that's actually kind of a good thing) that I would swear that any bass I hear is coming from the rear deck speakers... there are tweeters in the A-pillars, SO I'm assuming it's the "HIFI" system... (tweeters and mids in the doors, mids in the rear deck and 200mm subs under the seats)

Is anemic bass the 'norm' for the factory system? I'm not looking for hair tricks, but I'm looking for more than I've got and I want it to go deep (25Hz)

Should I replace the ones under the seats, or should I just put a 10" in a ported box in the trunk...lol

3. is it hard to add a backup camera to the CCC system (I'm assuming it's the CCC from the bland interface)

How about Apple CarPlay?

there may be more questions but that's all for now

Thanks for the help in advance

My Cars
    2010 E60

E60 Newbie... Lots of questions so be gentle with me...😁

I just picked up my new-to-me 2010 535i (E60)

1. When I plug my phone into the AUX cable jack (3.5mm) I can't select "AUX" on my head unit... the screen button lights up and it looks like it's accepting the command, but it doesn't actually change... I can go from FM-AM-WB, but nothing happens when I click AUX... does the head unit aux ONLY work with USB jack? (I haven't tried connecting a USB cable to it yet) Is mine not functioning properly?

2 Does my sound system even HAVE the subwoofers under the seats?... I hear bass, and there are speaker grills under the seats, but the bass is so anemic and it doesn't sound like it's coming from under the seats (that's actually kind of a good thing) that I would swear that any bass I hear is coming from the rear deck speakers... there are tweeters in the A-pillars, SO I'm assuming it's the "HIFI" system... (tweeters and mids in the doors, mids in the rear deck and 200mm subs under the seats)

Is anemic bass the 'norm' for the factory system? I'm not looking for hair tricks, but I'm looking for more than I've got and I want it to go deep (25Hz)

Should I replace the ones under the seats, or should I just put a 10" in a ported box in the trunk...lol

3. is it hard to add a backup camera to the CCC system (I'm assuming it's the CCC from the bland interface)

How about Apple CarPlay?

there may be more questions but that's all for now

Thanks for the help in advance

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Maybe toss the factory unit and buy an aftermarket that does CarPlay. Or if you want to spend a bunch of money you can update the whole system to a newer bmw one like nbt evo but it’s not for the average person to do either in terms of install or coding. The aftermarket units are relatively easy and cheap in comparison. I put one in one my 08 E90 M3. The apple CarPlay was worthwhile but sound then goes through aux and audiophiles say it’s not as high quality.

For speaker upgrades, Bavsound sells kits.

My Cars
    2010 E60
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    Maybe toss the factory unit and buy an aftermarket that does CarPlay. Or if you want to spend a bunch of money you can update the whole system to a newer bmw one like nbt evo but it’s not for the average person to do either in terms of install or coding. The aftermarket units are relatively easy and cheap in comparison. I put one in one my 08 E90 M3. The apple CarPlay was worthwhile but sound then goes through aux and audiophiles say it’s not as high quality.

For speaker upgrades, Bavsound sells kits.
    Thanks... I haven't heard a BAVSound car in person yet, so until I do I'm going to hold off on that... but thanks for the information tho

since I posted this, I searched around and found a really nice Apple Carplay unit that stands vertically in front of the dash hole like the more modern cars... If I pull the trigger on one of these, that's the one I'm going to get..

thanks for the suggestion
    Last edited by Dark Vader; 09-07-2022 at 03:29 AM.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I have not seen the tablet style replacement. The one I put in my E90 M3 fit like stock. The screen had more glare since it was touch screen and dud not gave the angled tinted shield of the stock one but I put a tablet anti glare film over it and that helped. The E61 uses the same system but I gave that car to a friend before changing the system (great car - had our 08 E61 535xi for 10 years).

My Cars
    2010 E60
    I have not seen the tablet style replacement. The one I put in my E90 M3 fit like stock. The screen had more glare since it was touch screen and dud not gave the angled tinted shield of the stock one but I put a tablet anti glare film over it and that helped. The E61 uses the same system but I gave that car to a friend before changing the system (great car - had our 08 E61 535xi for 10 years).

this is the ‘tablet-style’ one

😁
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Looks great! Adds a modern touch. Maybe it sticks out further than the factory ones on newer BMWs but that is probably not an issue. I moved on from the E61 535xi to a Cayenne S and from the E90 M3 to an F90 M5. Now I have to understand how 2 systems work and I am not a tech person. Might eventually change the M5 one to the larger screen used on the latest models.

My Cars
    2010 E60
    Also... does my car actually HAVE Navigation? there's a button that says "NAVI" in front of my iDrive knob, but when I press it, I get more of an elaborate trip computer... no actual map of any kind.... or is something wrong with my system altogether

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Idrive should show an old map system. I don’t think recent updates are available. The DVD slot would hold a disk. But CarPlay and Waze are so much better and current.

My Cars
    2010 E60
    Idrive should show an old map system. I don’t think recent updates are available. The DVD slot would hold a disk. But CarPlay and Waze are so much better and current.
    here’s my knob (that doesn’t sound right… lol) and my screen… if there IS a Navi DVD, where does it go?

thx

05B4EEB0-F07F-48C0-A4CC-0F38C2B7AA01.jpgFD3A2218-4DB0-4C97-B6A9-1599A71E00A8.jpg

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Down below the radio. At least on my 2008 it did. But it may be idrive improved after that and converted to usb from dvd and the usb is in the glovebox. There are some threads on idrive iterations. I remember reading them on M3Post in the E90 M3 forum but not seeing much here. Maybe go there and do a little searching for background info. There is also a 5 series forum that is more active than this one — 5 series dot net — but come back here and post what you learn

My Cars
    2010 E60
    Down below the radio. At least on my 2008 it did. But it may be idrive improved after that and converted to usb from dvd and the usb is in the glovebox. There are some threads on idrive iterations. I remember reading them on M3Post in the E90 M3 forum but not seeing much here. Maybe go there and do a little searching for background info. There is also a 5 series forum that is more active than this one — 5 series dot net — but come back here and post what you learn

Thank you!!.. I thought that slot was just for music CDs... I didn't realize that it might be the DVD navigation slot as well... interesting...

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    My map disks were in there. There was also a CD slot that could hold multiple CD. IDrive did have a few iterations and I think there was one in 2009 or 2010 and that might be the one you have and it could have replaced the dvd slot with a usb drive in the glovebox or center console armrest. It has been 4 years since I looked into this stuff.