Thread: Seeking advice

My Cars
    E34 540i 6sp 1995-03-28

Seeking advice

So tomorrow I have to drive three hours to where my wrecked 540 is stored and get what I want.

The Insurance Company is letting me swap off some aftermarket bits as long as I bring up their stock options
    I have a steering wheel, CD43 with GROM USB3/BT/handsfree adapter, Hella Smoked tails/trunk lenses, weighted ZHP leather 6 sp shift knob and a bunch of stuff in the trunk and glovebox.

I also have M system wheels with virtually new and now discontinued Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires.

I think I noticed the left front rim was mangled,lip bent. I doubt its repairable and not sure how the tires survived.

If I left a thirty foot long dark black skid mark from having my foot planted on the brake as I slammed into the guard rail at 50 would it be expected the tire that left it is junk? I mean would that create an insurmountable flat spot?

Anyway I intend to bring the four OE 540 wheels with usable Michelin Ice X 3 tires mounted and if the yard garage is open they will let me use a floor jack and swap the wheels..

I haven't been frequenting this place for a few years .. Are M systems something that show up regularly?

If I need just one?

At the moment I know neither the settlement for the total loss or the buy back price for the wreck so I'm trying to decide how to value the three M Systems and whether I need to be prepared for a long uncertain hunt to find a fourth.

I also wanted to ask opinions of how the getrag 420 may have been affected by an almost head on impact which seems to have broken the shifter linkage at some point. It was not connected when I checked it right after the impact to take it out of gear. It may have just busted off of the bottom at the DSSR but I had to wonder if it could have damaged the selector input on the transmission...

If the buyback is low and the settlement sufficient to buy and get the other 540/6 running I have been told I can bring the wreck to where that is located and try getting some stuff off but there is no Lift and I dread pulling a tyranny on jack-stands. If this sounds of interest to anyone in the local New England area let me hear from you or I may just let it go to copart or whoever my Ins.Co. uses.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    There are plenty of wheel collectors that will want yours, even with one bent. Can't speak to the price.
    Hard front hits often break the gearshift lever carrier, "shifting arm" #2 here: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=25_0037
    Good luck with the insurance company
    Last edited by ross1; 06-13-2018 at 08:27 AM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    E34 540i 6sp 1995-03-28
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    There are plenty of wheel collectors that will want yours, even with one bent. Can't speak to the price.
    Hard front hits often break the gearshift lever carrier, "shifting arm" #2 here: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=25_0037
    Good luck with the insurance company
    Perhaps I was unclear. I want to keep the the M Systems. they are the best wheel for the e34 of which I am aware. I wondered if I'd be likely to find a fourth so I can use them on a replacement e34 540/6 I have in my sights.

Nothing on the classifieds atm.

I once bought three from a well known aftermarket parts seller. They all had a manufacturing defect. I returned them and asked if they could get new ones from BMW and they said yes. In a few weeks they gave me the new ones which had the exact same flat spot on the barrel... so I returned them too.
    Not real confident I;d be able to find one new or used at least not like asap.

Anyway if the shifter carrier broke would you expect the transmission itself is fine?

I'd hate to buy the thing back for the tranny alone and find it cracked and I have no opportunity as far as I can see to examine it on a lift before the time comes to make that decision.
    Last edited by jehu; 06-13-2018 at 09:57 AM.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    I'd have a look at the trans where this attaches, chances are it's okay. The arm is the weak link. Even if the trans has an ear broken off it is still worth keeping, lots of people can fix that.
    Rest assured that while looking for a single ///M wheel none will be available, Murphy's law.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    e34 m5, touring; e46 (x2
    Found a couple of single m systems on ebay that may be worth looking into (no affiliation to sellers):

17x8: https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-M5-Whee...8AAOSwry1Z8OoB

17x9 (brand new): https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-M5-Whee...8AAOSwry1Z8OoB

My Cars
    E34 540i 6sp 1995-03-28
    Thanks thanks a lot I bought the others on the forms here so I guess I hadn't even thought

My Cars
    e34 m5, touring; e46 (x2
    No worries and hope you everything shakes out for you.

I imagine you saw this e34 m5 in your backyard: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1991-bmw-m5-28/ Would help to make you feel better....lol.

My Cars
    E34 540i 6sp 1995-03-28
    Think I know who's that is used to work for Turner motorsport a guy named Derek he owns his own shop so that car would be definitely as good as anyone could expect one of those ever to be immaculate and in perfect repair but way way beyond my price range

I also contacted that seller of the eBay wheel and he has told me he will spin it on their balancer to get the run out specs for me
    Last edited by jehu; 06-14-2018 at 02:05 PM.

My Cars
    E34 540i 6sp 1995-03-28
    Now that it looks like I've got the M system wheel sorted out I wanted to ask a question I'm looking at a 540/6 speed the seller tells me when he bought it it was blowing white smoke it wasn't oil he paid a mechanic $800 and that problem was resolved he thinks it was a head gasket the previous owner I am told was a rich kid rich kids and tend to abuse things because daddy will just buy me a new one right so question is if an M 60 suffered a head gasket failure that seems to be very likely only to happen during an enormous overpressurization during a max rev type event if it wasn't driven extensively after that would one expect there to be no additional injury detracting from the integrity of the rest of the functioning parts in the engine?

In other words Would you be scared of this engine even if the head gasket was repaired correctly?
    Last edited by jehu; 06-16-2018 at 06:15 PM.

My Cars
    95 525, 93 M5, 05 X5 x2
    I'd want to be assured the head was not warped.

My Cars
    E34 540i 6sp 1995-03-28
    Quote Originally Posted by GregT53 View Post
    I'd want to be assured the head was not warped.
    Me too.. I will try and get contact info from the seller for this mechanic he used.. $800 to swap a head gasket with machining doesn't strike me as out of line .

However reading threads about "white smoke" there are more people suggesting its the CCV and the smoke is just being misidentified because its not very dark. The seller doesn't seem concerned and put a bit more money into it after this but even for $2,500 I'd be hesitant if it really was a head gasket. I've just never heard of any stock m60's blowing a HG.. Steve Power's bored 550 or whatever it was was always burning them between cylinders where it was super tight. I just imagine Chad Moneybelt standing on the accelerator pinning the tach and laughing as he melts a tire..." oh, I say Skippy, whots that white smoke back there,hmmmm? hahahahaha.. Oh Daddy-O can I have another Bimmer? Thanks old chum... lol