Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: 1997 M3 4 Door with LS/T56

My Cars
    1998 328I
    Question for you Tim, the collapsible shaft and flaming river u joints you are using for the steering linkage, are those easier to install than the stock ones? I took mine apart to fit the headers during my swap and thinking about going your route if it's easier to get on.... I am having panic attacks just thinking about installing the stock one with the limited space i have with my headers lol

great job on the brake lines btw, i need to do this as well

My Cars
    Vipers, e46m
    Quote Originally Posted by RulyLSX View Post
    Question for you Tim, the collapsible shaft and flaming river u joints you are using for the steering linkage, are those easier to install than the stock ones? I took mine apart to fit the headers during my swap and thinking about going your route if it's easier to get on.... I am having panic attacks just thinking about installing the stock one with the limited space i have with my headers lol

great job on the brake lines btw, i need to do this as well
    I should probably just PM you by now instead of replying in multiple threads, but ehh, maybe it'll help others too.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...YaAuP0EALw_wcB

I believe that is the correct joint you'll need. It's an e34 steering shaft joint. Replace the e36 one with this to eliminate the rubber section. It fits. No need for a massively/overly expensive steering shaft.

My Cars
    1998 328I
    Quote Originally Posted by pMak26 View Post
    I should probably just PM you by now instead of replying in multiple threads, but ehh, maybe it'll help others too.

I believe that is the correct joint you'll need. It's an e34 steering shaft joint. Replace the e36 one with this to eliminate the rubber section. It fits. No need for a massively/overly expensive steering shaft.

haha yeah, figured it might help others as well. Thanks i'll look into this joint, I looked up on youtube(your kit) after i made my post it looks really easy/simple to install!

My Cars
    1998 328i Sedan

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by pMak26 View Post

Thanks for posting this!
    Last edited by BillyDee36; 05-30-2018 at 09:51 PM.

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    Not much to report..."I" cleaned the center heat shield. Assistant was no where to be found. Regret not taking an image of the before...:

And top:

Tomorrow the assistant will try his hand and dremeling the Flaming River steering shaft to size. 27 inches down to 10.

Some initial coordination about getting a single exhaust bent up for it...won't give me a price until I tow the car to his shop...hmmm. Makes for an expensive estimate when I have to pay for the flat bed. I'd like to recreate the Vorshlag setup:

[url=https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1071/5450/products/2_DSF2092_20copy-XL_2048x@2x.jpg?v=1472001850[/url]

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    Not much to report..."I" cleaned the center heat shield. Assistant was no where to be found. Regret not taking an image of the before...:

And top:

Tomorrow the assistant will try his hand and dremeling the Flaming River steering shaft to size. 27 inches down to 10.

Some initial coordination about getting a single exhaust bent up for it...won't give me a price until I tow the car to his shop...hmmm. Makes for an expensive estimate when I have to pay for the flat bed. I'd like to recreate the Vorshlag setup:

[url=https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1071/5450/products/2_DSF2092_20copy-XL_2048x@2x.jpg?v=1472001850/url]

My Cars
    1998 328I
    Is your assistant looking for anymore side work? I could use a hand :P haha

The heatshield looks clean! I was considering buying a new one but might take a stab at just cleaning it since no one will even see it anyways

My Cars
    E36 - 1998 328iS - LS2
    Quote Originally Posted by RulyLSX View Post
    The heatshield looks clean! I was considering buying a new one but might take a stab at just cleaning it since no one will even see it anyways
    They're somehwere around $200 new. I regret letting mine go but got my hands on another in not-so-terrible shape. Just douse it with a good degreaser and hit it with a pressure washer. It'll clean-up well.

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    Agreed the heat shield came out better than expected. When I said "I"...I meant it. Simple Green and a scrub brush...

Dropped off the original 188 MM differential, 3.91 gears, and bearings to a local shop. Still waiting on seals/gaskets/races...hopefully pick up in a week and half.

Steering shaft trial fit...just need to drill the set screw portions. Appears to be much easier than the OEM install. Possibly related to our car, but the slip fit on the lower splines has proven to be challenging. The Flaming River setup leaves the u-joint in place.

Our Magnaflow mufflers came today. A rear mounted muffler (3 inch) and a center mounted muffler 2 x 3 inch inlets with single 3 inch outlet. Appear to be nice quality and quite free flowing. I'd prefer a 'restrained' rumble...

Test fit to the center heat shield - sticks out a bit further than we expected:

Inlet shot:

Hope to install the heat shield tomorrow after one more thorough cleaning and hopefully Sunday trial fit the engine and headers compared to the brake line install.

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    Few hours invested today...cleaning, painting, insulation...

Surface rusted battery/trunk floor:

Assistant applying POR on to address:

Complete...turned out nice:

Additionally cleaning revealed a cowl full of 'junk'...no wonder some odd odors at times...

Also inspected the squirrel cage area (blower)...found additional junk...had to enlist another helper to assist with danty hands/arms...did wonderful - but very expensive!:

Insulation took some effort...tedious and time consuming...better than bending tubes!

Templates:

Driverside:

Passenger side:

Tunnel:

Complete minus some seam coverage:

Last edited by Tim Mc; 06-02-2018 at 08:02 PM.

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    Engine install #5 today - keeps getting easier!:

Passenger side headers...no change there:

Driveside header to brake lines...acceptable with a heat sleeve - wish we had made that turn an inch sooner around the strut tower:

Collectors:

Gutted ECU pocket:

ECU mounted on insulator (wood - the extent of my fabrication skills!):

Fits snug...did cut it to register on the bosses within:

Center muffler (5 inch thick) clearance:

Fully on the ground:

On travel for the week so no more progress unfortunately...

My Cars
    99 M3 LS1, '11 WRX
    Looks good Tim. the brake lines and other details are coming out nice

My Cars
    1997 M3 Sedan
    Your brake lines have inspired me to go back and straighten out mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    Thanks...of course, pictures tend to make things a bit neater than reality...and they will be hardly noticeable once running. I will say my assistant did a swell job!

Killed a week out of town as well as lack of parts delivery on time...the details will be the most challenging part!

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    Took a shot of it outside...I like it!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/JwUVPv]

Finally received all the parts for the diff rebuild...hopefully drop those off tomorrow and have a solid 3.91 geared 'posi' rearend!

Also got a quote for a single 3 inch exhaust...$725 out the door. He is not an exhaust shop, but an accomplished welder and the location is close as it will be a tow both ways. SS material would raise the cost to $1200. Pretty confident he will do a professional job...wish we could have fit a 3.5 inch - room to grow in the future, eh? Possibly next week...

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5.0
    A single 3" is considered good for up to ~330-350hp. You're making more than that, right?

My Cars
    1998 328I
    engine bay shot looks sexxxxxxxy!

My Cars
    1997 BMW E36 328i Sedan
    This is going to be awesome!

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    Thanks folks. We are excited. Will fun to execute the first burnout and powershift...

Laminar: I came across numbers in the 370 CHP range for optimum flow at 3 inch. A 3.5 jumped up to 450 or so. We tried hard to work a 3.5 inch, but the mufflers were more race bred or wouldn't fit beneath the center console so would be limited to a single, again race muffler at the tail. I've already got one very loud car which the neighbors tolerate occasionally at 4:50 AM commute departure...

We chose a single 3 inch to keep simple, light weight, and inexpensive...obviously, not inexpensive for the installation we chose.

We estimate 410 CHP... We can always update down the road as this is supposed to be a starter car for the new driver recall!

Been trying to figure out the pedals...my used set didn't come with everything to be a bolt in (wasn't advertised that way as I recall now). Seems to be a bit of a puzzle ordering all the little parts...

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5.0
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Mc View Post
    Laminar: I came across numbers in the 370 CHP range for optimum flow at 3 inch. A 3.5 jumped up to 450 or so. We tried hard to work a 3.5 inch, but the mufflers were more race bred or wouldn't fit beneath the center console so would be limited to a single, again race muffler at the tail. I've already got one very loud car which the neighbors tolerate occasionally at 4:50 AM commute departure...
    Makes sense! I'm running dual 2.25" which is also supposed to be good for 350ish horsepower, which is probably close to what I'm running now. Because I stuck with 2.25" I was able to hack up and reuse most of the original exhaust I built for the car 3 years ago.

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    Additionally, a 3 inch will be a restriction...how much is the question. I've got another car that is single 3 inch that makes 410 to the wheels... I believe a 3.5 would have freed up some power, but won't put a limit on it. It will be odd to hear a V-8 sound track with this car...

Did line up a welder next weekend for the European cooling reservoir mounts. Co-worker that picked it up as a hobby! Likely similar to Chuck and his Super Tube Headers...

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    Few parts for the diff rebuild...hopefully pick up from the builder tomorrow:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/28eBNv9]

Some work on the Father's Day...cleaning:

Pulled the seats:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/28eBM6W]

Assistant earning his keep...disgusting seat rails:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/25xVjwS]

European coolant overflow tank - mockup:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/25xVm9E]

Firewall bracket (from ECS):

[url=https://flic.kr/p/28eBMLU]

Strut bracket (from Latvia!):

[url=https://flic.kr/p/25xVku3]

Now we have a real redneck hotrod...hoodless! Off to get a simple OEM blue repaint along with the sunroof delete panel, new mustache panel, and front bumper courtesy of dents and/or hand painted mural from the previous owner:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/25xVjSm]

My Cars
    E36 M3 TV/ E36 M3 CB
    Progress looks great!

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    always: Thanks...may not be quick enough as received notification of possible move to Germany for a few years! Nonetheless, we need to get it mobile...

Received the fully rebuilt diff with 3.91 gears ($200!) today and went ahead and bolted it up. Amazingly simple.

Also weighed it to see how much I was lugging out of the trunk in a work shirt and 90 degree temps...

[url=https://flic.kr/p/271cqMr]

Measured for driveshaft...42 3/8 minus the JTF flange thickness for the u-joint mount.

Also had the hood, sunroof delete plate, mustache, and front bumper picked up to be resprayed in Estoril Blue...nothing fancy, just rid the car of the eye sores...

Tomorrow it will be towed to the exhaust shop.

The details is what will kill us...

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    Well the tow didn't happen. AAA's 45 min estimate turned into 2+10 wait. Of course that drove it past the shop open time. To top it off, tow truck driver required $100 cash...no CC capability! So further delay.

Did order a drive shaft today. Right at 41.5 inches. Cost will be ~$350 for a 2.75 DOM shaft with 1350 front joint and 1310 rear joint.

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast