Thread: What do you think of the UREA injection for the new diesel cars?

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition

Question What do you think of the UREA injection for the new diesel cars?

BMW, Mercedes, Audi, VW are all going towards this new UREA injection for their new diesels. The UREA injection combined with the particle filter upstream helps make diesel output some of the cleanest output in years... but at a cost.

The new UREA injection system requires that a liquid be sprayed into the exhaust of the vehicle. That means hauling around 7-8 gallons of mystery magic liquid that needs to get sprayed into the exhaust system. Plus, this liquid only lasts 12-15000 miles. BMW will be covering the cost of this liquid in their maintanence plan (as for the other manufacturers, it is unknown).

EPA has made it very known that the manufacturers that use this technology will need to build in a failsafe so the UREA injection system can not be disabled and that the car will not run if the liquid in the system is not replenished on a regular basis. So the car will be disabled if the owner does not replenish the system. Manufacturers site many safety concerns with this, but the EPA can't help a car that is not working correctly pollute the atmoshphere.

Good questions that have been brought up are ...

a) is the mystery liquid brand specific ... i.e. BMW only liquid vs. Mercedes only liquid? (my sources say it's generic)

b) what will be the availability of such liquid and how much will it cost (my sources say it will initially only be available at dealerships, but will spread to your local autozone fairly fast enough... and prices should be cheap)

c) possible safety aspects of being caught out in the middle of nowhere without magic liquid and having your engine disabled because it won't run without it.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition

My Cars
    95 M3 Cosmos, FZ-09
    BMW will be using Kruse as their maker of the DEF(Diesel Exhaust fluid). I think the name of the product is ADBLUE. It is already available for ordering. I am unsure if other makers fluid will able to be used.

Msrp is 19 dollars for a 64oz bottle.

The use of this fluid is very limited, so on long trips it would be advisable to "top" up the diesel fluid. Very much like coolant, oil gas etc.
    Last edited by RabidChimp; 01-05-2009 at 12:16 PM.

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
    c) possible safety aspects of being caught out in the middle of nowhere without magic liquid and having your engine disabled because it won't run without it.
    Pee in the tank
    Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

My Cars
    a dinosaur
    To me, that is almost a deal breaker. I can imagine the additional frustrations that may arise bec of this.

nice interview btw kev.
    Quote Originally Posted by ken_vs_ryu View Post
    2 tequila shots and there will be penetration. that's why my wife stopped me from talking to my ex.

My Cars
    BMW
    These urea-diesel powered cars are far better solutions to increasing fuel economy than hybrids with their expensive and toxic battery packs.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Quote Originally Posted by meki22 View Post
    To me, that is almost a deal breaker. I can imagine the additional frustrations that may arise bec of this.

nice interview btw kev.

Is requiring the car to have gas in order to move a deal breaker too? It's just one more fluid the car has to have in order to drive, like gas and oil. And if it keeps the diesel engines from sooting all over the place and stinking like dirty socks stuffed in your nose, then I'm all for it.

When the car is 1000 miles away from running out of urea, there will be a warning message in yellow on the dash when you start the car. At 250 miles it will be on the dash, in red, at all times when the car is on. Once the car runs out of urea, you will not be able to re-start the car after it has been shut off for more than three minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    a dinosaur
    Quote Originally Posted by prash View Post
    These urea-diesel powered cars are far better solutions to increasing fuel economy than hybrids with their expensive and toxic battery packs.
    I would agree with this though. I read somewhere that building a hybrid does more harm to the environment that its actually supposed to help with the car's performance.

I am still looking forward to getting a BMW diesel in the future too. That UREA injection thing just threw me off a bit.
    2 tequila shots and there will be penetration. that's why my wife stopped me from talking to my ex.

My Cars
    F30 (02tiE30E34E55E46)
    I am all for this new system, who cars if you have to put in another fluid every 10k or what not. I love the new Diesel technology, I really hope it catches on better and they offer manuals in the USA. When I find it time to replace my X5 I will buy a new diesel one, or a CPO if I wait long enough. Diesel is a great alternative to hybrid crap, over the course of a Prius' life if causes more damage to the environment then most cars! Oh and it gets poor milage around a track!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXPCckjTMVg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXPCckjTMVg[/ame]
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdog68 View Post
    The day I find my E30 M3 will be the day that all is well in my world. I will see her and smile, then she'll smile because she knows!

My Cars
    E46, S2000
    It would maybe be a deal breaker for me if only one company did it and all other manufactuer's didn't, but that isn't how it is going to work. Every 15,000 miles simply means when you get an oil change, they replenish the system so I don't think it'll be a problem for most people. I'm sure, like most things, it doesn't just run out without letting you know it is low. IMO if you run out of it you are no different than someone who ran out of fuel.

I just think it is pretty sucky that the US can't get their act together and do what every other country does to allow diesel. We have horrible diesel fuel so now we need to use urea injection to be clean.

Forum Rules___Info for New Members___Teen Driving School in So Cal
    "It's the internet by my rules."--Kevlar

My Cars
    F30 (02tiE30E34E55E46)
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverBeam View Post
    It would maybe be a deal breaker for me if only one company did it and all other manufactuer's didn't, but that isn't how it is going to work. Every 15,000 miles simply means when you get an oil change, they replenish the system so I don't think it'll be a problem for most people. I'm sure, like most things, it doesn't just run out without letting you know it is low. IMO if you run out of it you are no different than someone who ran out of fuel.

I just think it is pretty sucky that the US can't get their act together and do what every other country does to allow diesel. We have horrible diesel fuel so now we need to use urea injection to be clean.
    BRAVO! Diesel in the rest of the world is far superior, I will be in France for 3 weeks in February and March and will again be renting a 123d hatch, very excited about it. I think that if the country could get over the diesel "stigma" we would be better off.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdog68 View Post
    The day I find my E30 M3 will be the day that all is well in my world. I will see her and smile, then she'll smile because she knows!

My Cars
    the bus
    Diesel isn't practical in the US IMO. Diesel prices have barely dropped at all compared to gas. It used to be premium and diesel was the same price but not anymore. I believe diesel is more practical in countries where the cost is partially subsidized by the government.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Diesel is about 30-40 cents more expensive here ... but considering the added miles per gallon of diesel, the added cost is worth it.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    Focus 1.0 liter & 318ti
    I thought the US market needs the urea system because our diesel emission standards are tighter than than Europe, not that our diesel fuel is bad.

Tthe current 15 ppm max sulphur diesel fuel in the US is tighter than the requirements for the EU (50 ppm). While it's not everywhere, I haven't seen a station with the old diesel fuel for a couple years.

Who knows for sure?
    Last edited by CirrusSR22; 01-05-2009 at 03:02 PM.

My Cars
    a dinosaur
    Quote Originally Posted by Critter7r View Post
    Is requiring the car to have gas in order to move a deal breaker too? It's just one more fluid the car has to have in order to drive, like gas and oil. And if it keeps the diesel engines from sooting all over the place and stinking like dirty socks stuffed in your nose, then I'm all for it.

When the car is 1000 miles away from running out of urea, there will be a warning message in yellow on the dash when you start the car. At 250 miles it will be on the dash, in red, at all times when the car is on. Once the car runs out of urea, you will not be able to re-start the car after it has been shut off for more than three minutes.
    I only say that bec of the uncertainty it carries as of now. As long as it does pose any additional headaches on top of the usual maintenance stress current models have (as well as the hope that it isnt manufacturer exclusive) then im all for it. Hence, its almost a deal breaker for me.

Quote Originally Posted by EdirtySicks View Post

My dad has bad Gout.
    Me too. Colchicine does wonders for it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colchicine
    Last edited by meki22; 01-05-2009 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    BWM
    Hi

I read some opinions in this topic. I do not agree above ideal. We can find out some articles at about.com by using Google search.

If you want to get more materials that related to this topic, you can visit: Lucent interview questions

Best regards.
    Last edited by hua052011; 05-24-2012 at 09:35 PM.