Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [DIY] Selector Shaft Seal and Gearshift Rod Joint

My Cars
    99 M3, 01 F350

[DIY] Selector Shaft Seal and Gearshift Rod Joint

While replacing the input seal on my transmission for the 2nd time in the last 2 months, I found my selector shaft seal was also leaking. I called up my local BMW dealership and found out they had both parts I wanted in stock.

Selector Shaft Seal is part #12
    Part #23121282394 ~$8-$9

Gearshift Rod Joint is part #12 as well
    Part #25111222688 ~$10-$12

Being that I had the exhaust and driveshaft already out of the car, it was MUCH easier. I'm not able to discuss if this could be done with this stuff still in the car, but I found that it would be VERY VERY difficult with the exhaust/driveshaft still installed.

I even had to lower the rear tranny support to get some angle to be able to pry out the selector seal.

First was to remove the lock ring on the rod joint. At the bottom of the rod joint, there is a small opening to get a small flathead screwdriver into to get it started.

Once I was able to get some separation in the lock ring, I got a bigger screwdriver in there and was able to py the lock ring off the rod joint.

Once the lock ring is removed you need to remove the lock pin in the center of the rod joint. I used a 90 degree pick, and just pushed the lock pin from the top of the rod joint, and then pulled it out with my fingers

Once the lock pin is removed you will be able to pull the old rod joint of the selector shaft..

After the rod joint is removed, take another small flathead screwdriver and CAREFULLY pry the selector seal out WITHOUT scoring the seal bore. Being that the seal is very thin, be VERY careful with this. This was the hardest part, as its tough to get a grip on the seal and remove it. Be patient and just keep trying

I found that a 15mm deep socket was the perfect size to go around the selector shaft and fit on the seal to carefully tap back into the seal bore. Be careful not to tear the seal, and slowly tap the seal back in with the socket. I used some transmission fluid (RP Synchromax) to lube up the seal and the seal bore to make it easier to install

Once the seal is flush again with the seal bore, reinstall the new rod joint. With the new foam inside the rod joint, you will need to push the selector rod back all the way into the transmission, as the foam with fight back against you when you reinstall the locking pin. Once the locking pin is reinstalled back in the rod joint, take a small screwdriver again, and just move the lock ring back into the groove to lock everything back together

Reinstall the gear shift selector rod, and you are good to go :rulaiz:

Put everything back together, and enjoy
    "Torque is like cowbell... you can never have too much." - Michael Cervi

My Cars
    Dicktone Limo
    Another awesome write-up.

Thanks!

PS: The DSSR looks badass compared to the stock selector

My Cars
    99 M3, 01 F350
    Quote Originally Posted by bennyfizzle View Post
    Another awesome write-up.

Thanks!

PS: The DSSR looks badass compared to the stock selector
    DSSR > stock...

thanks.... figured I would cross post it over here...
    "Torque is like cowbell... you can never have too much." - Michael Cervi

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Thanks for posting this up.
    I remember this was worse than doing the bitch clip and guibo combined bc of the angle I was forced to work from.
    Took some very creative geometry to get it to work.
    Walk a mile in my shoes and you are a mile away in someone else's shoes.
    Goodridge*UUC sways* Black TME's and mounts( switched from Red)* x-brace*brembo rotors*Zimmerman rear*Pagid*Riken Raptors* Roja Formula 7's (Bronze)* Stromung*Powdercoated AA DSB* OMP strut bar*GC RSM's* M3 alum/leather knob*JTD underpanel *Traffic PRO (sold) *Black hella Ellipsoids w/celis rings * ACS Pedals*ACS handbrake*RE Octane SSK*Wheelskins Eurotones S/ Wheel Cover( tossed-replaced with new one)* Totally Covers Front seat velour covers with custom styling *Rieger roof spoiler-lost it on fwy Stock A/B*URI CP (ditched years ago)*540 HFM (sold) Stock HFM (BeckArnley)*FMS 24 lb inj*Alum rad and some other stuff*Konis w/adj rr's*Vogtland springs ** Passport 8500(sold)*Passpprt 7500 (sold V1-1.8 with POP) No detectors at all.
    Coming...nada

BMWCCA-303681

busterhax is offline Y̝͎̘̍́ͣ̉͑̿̆Ō͎̼̺̬̒ͯ̃̇͗̂ U͈̖
    My Cars
    e36
    Finally a real write up.

Is getting a new rod joint necessary? I have the seal here and planned on doing it tomorrow but no new rod joint.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by busterhax View Post
    Finally a real write up.

Is getting a new rod joint necessary? I have the seal here and planned on doing it tomorrow but no new rod joint.
    It will take up the slack that new shifter rod bushings won't.
    People still complain of lateral play even after installing a new shift kit.
    The selector rod pivot helps a lot.
    Goodridge*UUC sways* Black TME's and mounts( switched from Red)* x-brace*brembo rotors*Zimmerman rear*Pagid*Riken Raptors* Roja Formula 7's (Bronze)* Stromung*Powdercoated AA DSB* OMP strut bar*GC RSM's* M3 alum/leather knob*JTD underpanel *Traffic PRO (sold) *Black hella Ellipsoids w/celis rings * ACS Pedals*ACS handbrake*RE Octane SSK*Wheelskins Eurotones S/ Wheel Cover( tossed-replaced with new one)* Totally Covers Front seat velour covers with custom styling *Rieger roof spoiler-lost it on fwy Stock A/B*URI CP (ditched years ago)*540 HFM (sold) Stock HFM (BeckArnley)*FMS 24 lb inj*Alum rad and some other stuff*Konis w/adj rr's*Vogtland springs ** Passport 8500(sold)*Passpprt 7500 (sold V1-1.8 with POP) No detectors at all.
    Coming...nada

BMWCCA-303681

My Cars
    e36
    Quote Originally Posted by Balthazarr View Post
    It will take up the slack that new shifter rod bushings won't.
    People still complain of lateral play even after installing a new shift kit.
    The selector rod pivot helps a lot.
    Hmm ok. I guess i'm not worried about that now and i can always swap a new one in later down the road. I just need to top/change my tranny fluid asap and don't want to until this seal is replaced. Wish me luck. I'm gonna attempt to do it without removing the exhaust of drive shaft.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Hmm ok. I guess i'm not worried about that now and i can always swap a new one in later down the road. I just need to top/change my tranny fluid asap and don't want to until this seal is replaced. Wish me luck. I'm gonna attempt to do it without removing the exhaust of drive shaft.
    I did it with the shaft down and the exhaust out and it was still a major pita on my back.
    The seal was relatively easy in comparison.
    Coming...nada

BMWCCA-303681

My Cars
    E36 M3 stg2 S/C...& a MV
    Is the selector rod the cause for a notchy shifter? I have problems from 1st to 2nd on a SSK from Understeer, about two yrs old.

Excellent pictures by the way.

My Cars
    e36
    Hrmmm. I'm under the car now. I got everything off but i can't for the life of me get the original seal out. I've been going at it with a pick and a tiny eyeglasses screw driver and it just keeps coming out in teeny tiny pieces. Any suggestions?

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Hrmmm. I'm under the car now. I got everything off but i can't for the life of me get the original seal out. I've been going at it with a pick and a tiny eyeglasses screw driver and it just keeps coming out in teeny tiny pieces. Any suggestions?
    Keep at it, if it's in pieces.
    I think I used a smallish flathead driver and punctured it then grabbed with needlenose when deformed enough that the edge protruded.

I could be lying though, bc it's been a long ass time.
    Coming...nada

BMWCCA-303681

My Cars
    e36
    Keep at it, if it's in pieces.
    I think I used a smallish flathead driver and punctured it then grabbed with needlenose when deformed enough that the edge protruded.

I could be lying though, bc it's been a long ass time.
    Thanks, i guess it won't hurt to try to puncture it? I was afraid of pushing on it fearing that it would wedge the original seal in there more

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Thanks, i guess it won't hurt to try to puncture it? I was afraid of pushing on it fearing that it would wedge the original seal in there more
    I had that same fear, but I was surprised when the edge popped out.
    Maybe try tapping the pick into the edge (perpendicular to radial axis of seal bore) and see if you can pull it out.
    Coming...nada

BMWCCA-303681

My Cars
    e36
    I had that same fear, but I was surprised when the edge popped out.
    Maybe try tapping the pick into the edge (perpendicular to radial axis of seal bore) and see if you can pull it out.
    Will do. Should i be working the outer bore, or the inner where the shaft goes through? I know there is metal around the outer ring and i am skeptical of getting anything in between.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Will do. Should i be working the outer bore, or the inner where the shaft goes through? I know there is metal around the outer ring and i am skeptical of getting anything in between.
    Outer edge.
    Coming...nada

BMWCCA-303681

My Cars
    e36
    I'm about to give up. It seems impossible.

My Cars
    are a waste of money
    Nice write up.

I changed the rod joint with everything still on the car. If you're not mechanically inclined, have the right tools, or creative you don't stand a chance. It sucks.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I changed the rod joint only after redoing the shifter with a UUC EVO3 and DSSR. Redoing the shifter alone helped, but did not really fix the problem. It was the rod joint and the 5th and reverse detent bushings on the side of the tranny that helped more in my case. Shifting has been great since. I was doing the clutch so I had the tranny off and that made the job easier, but by the accounts I have read, it is definitely doable on the car.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    I'm about to give up. It seems impossible.
    Take a pic and post it up.
    I or someone else can give a tip on how to get it out.

Seriously, it was the easiest part of the job.
    Coming...nada

BMWCCA-303681

My Cars
    e36
    Take a pic and post it up.
    I or someone else can give a tip on how to get it out.

Seriously, it was the easiest part of the job.
    Can't really get a pic. Drive shaft is in the way. I can fit my picks and screw drivers up in there, but now it seems that only the metal ring is left and i cant fit anything in between the bore and outer edge of the ring. It seems like i can fit the pick inbetween the shaft and inner part of the seal but when i pull and pry, it doesn't budge

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Can't really get a pic. Drive shaft is in the way. I can fit my picks and screw drivers up in there, but now it seems that only the metal ring is left and i cant fit anything in between the bore and outer edge of the ring. It seems like i can fit the pick inbetween the shaft and inner part of the seal but when i pull and pry, it doesn't budge
    Take a pic anyway.
    The shaft is just too obstructive to do this job while installed.
    Maybe you should just disconnect at the trans output to give you more visual.

Also, you might have taken it all out in pieces and what you think is the outer part is really the edge of the bore where it's recessed for the seal.

Use something to magnify the bore to see if that's the case.
    Last edited by Balthazarr; 07-15-2009 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Coming...nada

BMWCCA-303681

My Cars
    e36
    Take a pic anyway.
    The shaft is just too obstructive to do this job while installed.
    Maybe you should just disconnect at the trans output to give you more visual.

Also, you might have taken it all out in pieces and what you think is the outer part is really the edge of the bore where it's recessed for the seal.

Use something to magnify the bore to see if that's the case.
    It is definitely still in there. They were teeny tiny black plastic pieces that i pulled out with a pick. I'm gonna go play with it a bit more. Is there any risk driving for a bit if the seal is jacked up a bit? I think it is only to get dust out so i shouldn't have any serious fluid leaks

My Cars
    1995 M3
    It is definitely still in there. They were teeny tiny black plastic pieces that i pulled out with a pick. I'm gonna go play with it a bit more. Is there any risk driving for a bit if the seal is jacked up a bit? I think it is only to get dust out so i shouldn't have any serious fluid leaks
    That seal will leak a little when it goes bad.
    Obviously, you know this.

It will leak more if it's missing, but that will be your call.
    I've never driven without one.
    Coming...nada

BMWCCA-303681

My Cars
    e36
    Should i maybe spray it with some PB?

My Cars
    92 325i
    Any updates on this - I'm in the same boat at the moment, I haven't given up hope just quite yet . . . .
    Metal Mover @ www.milehighcarhelper.com
    |New & PreOwned Sales |Trades | Consignments |Vehicle Location| Consulting |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast