Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: BMW CCA IP Build

My Cars
    '99 M3 '10 X5 35d '02 M3

BMW CCA IP Build

Hi Everyone,

This thread will document the build of my car from Sunday driver to IPrepared racecar. If anyone has suggestions or helpful advice, please don't hesitate to share. I'm fairly competent with regards to spinning wrenches, but this project is above and beyond anything I've tackled yet.

First, some history of my time with the car:

I acquired this 1999 BMW M3 in November of 2014. At the time, I wasn't even really looking for a car. I had just finished trying to track down and re-purchase the 96 M3 I had through HS but sold to go to college. It was a spectacular failure that involved me finding the car, for sale!, flying down to purchase it, only to find out it was not even remotely close to the condition it was described in. You can read the whole sad story here: https://jalopnik.com/my-first-car-wa...t-c-1744885944.

I found this particular car here on BF. It just happened to be in the same town a friend I was visiting lives in, and I just happened to be in town that day. I was able to see the car that day and fell in love. The car had 98K miles on it and was nearly flawless; original paint, the interior was perfect, the undercarriage was clean enough to eat off. We struck a deal, and I was back the next weekend to pick it up.

I knew almost immediately that I was going take this car to the track. It was something that I had wanted to do since I was young and I finally had the means to afford it. I signed up for my first day at Lime Rock in the Spring of 2015. The first session of the first day was an absolute disaster. I knew I was not going to be fast, but nothing prepared me for the amount of sensory overload I would experience. So bad in fact that I seriously questioned if being on track was for me. My instructor, however, was excellent and guided me through the rest of day and helped me improve after each session. After that first day, I was hooked. I did three events in total that year; two at LRP and one at Palmer

The next year started off with the idea of building the car in the ultimate street/track car. I redid the suspension with Powerflex Black subframe and diff bushings, Bimmerworld FCA Tabs, and GC Adjustable RLCA's. I also pick up a roll bar from Ben Sipson, bucket seats, harnesses and a set of KW Variant 2's. To keep with the street/track car theme, I created some block off panels in place of the rear seats; just used thin plywood and some automotive carpet that closely matched the interior.

For the block off panels, I started by tracing the rough area out of cardboard and transferring it to the plywood. I purposely l left the trace a little bigger with the intention of fine-tuning it as needed. I also initially intended to run the bar with the side bolsters:

Initial template transfer and test fitting

I used spray on adhesive to secure the carpet to the panels:

Semi-final product

When I went to install the bar, I then realized that the side bolsters would have to go. Wish I had realized this earlier so I could incorporate a larger panel. Here is the finished product with the bar installed.

And finally, seats and harnesses

With that all that was left to do was get the car corner balanced and DRIVE! That year I did 6 events and added WGI to my list of tracks.

For 2017 I didn't change anything on the car, just keep up with maintenance. I did nine events and added VIR and Club Motorsport to my list of tracks. The drive to VIR SUCKED, but it was 100%^2 worth it. That place is magical, and I loved every second of it!

Packed up and ready for my 8 hour journey. Fun fact, in the back of my E36 I can fit, 4 17" wheels, a pop-up tent, large tool set, tote bin, impact gun, cooler, AND 4 days worth of clothing.

A view from my room

2018 started off as what I hopped to be a really great year, I had 12 events circled on the calendar with the most anticipated one being, competition licensing school at WGI! Additionally, I picked up a SuperSprint Race Exhaust as part of a GB and I was REALLY looking forward to getting it installed.

The first event of the year at LRP went over really well!... And then everything started to go poorly. At my next event at WGI, I snapped two wheel studs IN THE HUB after my second session. The day was over, but Clutchfoto snapped these cool pictures of me.

Thankfully, the awesome people at Little Speed Shop were able to drill the studs out of the hub and get the car ready for the next day. Unfortunately, the next day it was snowing and in the mid 30's, so I ultimately decided to head home early. I then had to cancel the next event because of a family issue, which then brought me to Competition Licensing School.

I showed up on the Friday before the school for open-lapping and spent the whole day attacking the track. It was very relaxed and was incredibly valuable to be able to go out for several laps, come in, make adjustments to the car, review data, then go back out. It was one of the best days I’ve had and put me in a great spot leading into the School. Saturday was finally here! Compeition Licensing School!The first session of the day was a general open lapping session so everyone could get familiar with each other. Great session, nothing particular eventful happened.

After class, we set up for a 3-wide exercise. We went out and did several laps, progressively gaining speed. On our 4th or 5th lap, I was on the outside of the back straight headed into the bus stop, took all the curb on entry, stayed tight, and took all the curb on exit as well. About midway through the curb, I felt my steering radically change and heard a large clunk. Upon exit, headed into turn 5, I could tell something was very wrong, car steering was 45* off and wouldn’t turn right very well. Thankfully we were already going pretty slow due to traffic. I did my best to control the car, and signaled to my instructor, who was in the middle, that there was an issue. I think he realized it though as there was tire smoke coming out of the passenger side front. I attempted to limp the car back to the pits but did not get far. 3/4 of the way past the laces, headed into the toe, the car dropped down, and smoke started pouring out even more. I pulled off into a safe area the track has on drivers left and waited for the session to end. Track team came and picked me up after the session and dropped the car off in the pits. Long story short, the top strut on the strut de-threaded and stripped a significant portion of the threads. I was able to get the nut on and hold enough of the threads to get the car back together but my weekend and comp school was over. That feeling sucked. I had been looking forward to this weekend all year, and it was over. Again, thankfully the issue happened at slow speed. If that had happened going full bore out of the esses the next part of this thread wouldn’t be taking place.

Car loaded and ready for the long drive back to Queens.

At this point, I put the car away for a bit and canceled my other events until I could figure out how to fix the issue. The fine people at KW have not been helpful at all. It took forever to get any kind of response from them, and when we did finally get one, it doesn’t seem possible to purchase just a single strut. So with that kind of but not really resolved, I’ve decided to go full-race car. This was going to happen at one point, and I’ve decided that point is right now.

The goals/plans with the car are to build it to the limit of the IP rules. That will not be immediate however. Currently, the goal is to get the car stripped, caged, painted and all IP suspension and safety items installed in time for the next Comp School at VIR. Which historically has taken place in April. After I get though that, I will focus on the second part of the build (Aero, diff/driveline, engine, etc.). That means I will be running in IP-light trim next year, but its okay as, even if I was a good enough driver (I’m not), my budget will not allow me to run at the pointy end of the field until at least 2020.

So with that long spiel, the next several posts will detail me stripping the car in preparation of getting the cage put in.
    Last edited by BlackHawkRacing; 10-19-2018 at 10:05 PM.

My Cars
    95m3/97m345/powerstroke
    Sucks to here about the club race school. I'm planning on my first race being that april event at vir. Im all set up for Ip just need the cage/saftey stuff this winter. Ip is going to be awesome next year! Huge fields and lots of great drivers, can't wait!

I have major exhaust envy btw
    Last edited by Pat533i; 10-18-2018 at 09:49 PM.

My Cars
    E36 M3 Coupe
    That really sucks to hear man. I know all about looking forward to events and cancelling. My Audi S4 was my previous track car/daily... huge mistake. Car is so expensive to fix and spent the whole summer in the shop getting the DSG rebuilt. I missed a huge weekend event that I’d waited for all season. Also missed a few other events. I did however get to run my moms Hyundai Veloster aha! That needed a new transmission and brakes after the event. Long story short I’m in a 97 Estoril blue M3 that I’m building and absolutely in love with. Your quite a bit further on your build than me but I hope to be where your car is soon. Running of course with no issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '99 M3 '10 X5 35d '02 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat533i View Post
    Sucks to here about the club race school. I'm planning on my first race being that april event at vir. Im all set up for Ip just need the cage/saftey stuff this winter. Ip is going to be awesome next year! Huge fields and lots of great drivers, can't wait!

I have major exhaust envy btw
    Awesome to hear you will be running IP Pat! I saw you post some questions in one of the CCA race pages on FB and was wondering what you decided on. Don't have too much envy, it's literally been sitting in my garage since November of last year, it took ECS 8 (EIGHT?!?!) to get me the correct gaskets, and I have not had time to install it since. That said, I cannot wait to hear it wail!!! Looking forward to racing with you in the future!

Build Update!
    Day 1 progress was a bit slow, my landlord had to come to fix an issue in my apt, so I didn't get a chance to start until later in the day. The day was still a success though. I was able to get the trunk trim/fabric striped, roll bar and seats removed, and some other small items removed.

Day 2 was a much bigger success, relative. All the carpet is out of the car, except for a small part I couldn't remove over the trans tunnel. At this point, I've eliminated 90% of trim, carpet, speakers, etc.

Picture of one part of the trash haul for the day. In all I must have pulled close to 50 lbs out of the car; took up two contractor bags after I cut it up into smaller pieces.

Other than the headliner, the dash and the A-pillar trim, there are no additional trim items left to pull out of the interior. I am pulling the dash on Sunday to get better access to wires; I will leave the headliner for last as it is pretty easy to do and I do not have anywhere to store something that big.

After I pulled the various trim items, I started on wiring. The single best item I've purchased lately is a label maker. Any connector that I pulled off something has been labeled that I know what it relates to. I then started to remove the audio portion of the wiring harness since it is a 95% standalone harness. I ended up stopping after I got everything but door speaker wires isolated. Will continue removing the audio harness Sunday. After the audio portion is done, I will start to trace out all of the interior lighting related wiring, along with the airbag harness.

Finally, does anyone know what this black box relates to? It is just above the battery in the trunk (Passenger side). Also, just below the black box, there are some wires I can't figure out as well (second picture). Thank you in advance if anyone can help out!

Picture of the back side of the black box.
    Last edited by BlackHawkRacing; 10-20-2018 at 10:01 AM.

My Cars
    '99 M3 '10 X5 35d '02 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Wastatepride View Post
    That really sucks to hear man. I know all about looking forward to events and cancelling. My Audi S4 was my previous track car/daily... huge mistake. Car is so expensive to fix and spent the whole summer in the shop getting the DSG rebuilt. I missed a huge weekend event that I’d waited for all season. Also missed a few other events. I did however get to run my moms Hyundai Veloster aha! That needed a new transmission and brakes after the event. Long story short I’m in a 97 Estoril blue M3 that I’m building and absolutely in love with. Your quite a bit further on your build than me but I hope to be where your car is soon. Running of course with no issues
    I have a friend with a Veloster that I’ve been trying to get him to track; maybe it’s not such a good idea if the trans can’t handle one day hahah

Know the feeling, I’m in love with this car as well; so much so that my GF refers to it as “The other bitch in the relationship” haha. GL with your build man!

My Cars
    95m3/97m345/powerstroke
    Black box is a little lock actuator for the fuel door. Not sure what the other wires are. (My 95 doesn’t have them)

My Cars
    E36 M3 Coupe
    Does you buddy have the DCT? Not sure if Veloster came with a manual. If the car was built a little bit it’d be fine. I still had fun taken down M3’s and M5’s I’m going to start my own build thread. I always get done installing stuff tho and I’m like dang shoulda taken pics lol

My Cars
    '99 M3 '10 X5 35d '02 M3
    Thanks! I'm pretty confident the wire are emissions related, which makes sense since you are OBDI and missing them.

My Cars
    2001 E46 325ti Compact
    Subscribed. Looking forward to following the progress

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '99 M3 '10 X5 35d '02 M3
    On Monday I was able to get the dash, passenger dash bar, and airbag modules out of the car. I gotta say, even with the battery out of the car and the airbag system unplugged from the brain, I was irrationally concerned that the airbags were going to explode in my face during unplugging or removal. I was also able to get some additional wiring mapped out and organized for removal.

After pulling the dash, I had to stop removing items as I finally got a good understanding of how the heater core and HVAC box are connected and realized I did not have the coolant block off plate to properly remove everything without leaving any pipes open and exposed. I ordered the block off plate from Bimmerworld on Tuesday and got it last night. Was hoping to install it this weekend but since I have to roll the car outside of the garage I rent to work on it, the Nor'Easter we are experiencing is preventing that from happening. The delay ended up working out as I had a set of interviews on Tuesday & Wednesday come up at the last second and would have been unable to work on the car. No pictures from pulling the dash but will snap a few next weekend.

Other than the above, the only other significant update is that the car is officially no longer a street car

The quick progress up to this point has been because I have been off work for a mandatory two weeks because of regulatory requirement with my job. Progress will be much slower going forward and limited only to the weekend. I was initially hoping to get the car stripped and to the cage builder by December, but that is now not going to happen. I should have started this whole progress back in July when I realized the car would be down for a while but hindside is always 20/20 right? Goals right now are quite simple:

1) Remove the heater core/HVAC unit
    2) Remove all unneeded wiring from the cabin (tracing it back to the fuse)
    3) Remove every metal bracket that no longer serves a purpose
    4) Remove all sound deadening material

Once I get a good handle on how much time I have left with those aspects, I will get the car to the cage builder. Unfortunately, since he books up quickly, might not be able to get that done until April. TBD!

Finally, shout out to BW for always including gummies in the packages.

Sidenote - If anyone reading this is within an hour of NYC and has a garage space I could rent, please let me know. With winter coming, I am looking for something that will allow me to work on the car inside.

My Cars
    skateboard
    Great thread man. Are you running the Euro SS (euro m3 race) race exhaust setup?

My Cars
    '99 M3 '10 X5 35d '02 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by GG///M3 View Post
    Great thread man. Are you running the Euro SS (euro m3 race) race exhaust setup?
    Thank you!

Yes, it is the euro race setup; however, it, unfortunately, is still not installed. I bought it back in 2017 and ordered all the euro gaskets from ECS. They were listed as "In Stock" at the time but then I almost immediately got an email saying they were not actually in stock and needed to be ordered from Germany. Everytime a new deliverly date would approach I'd get another "shippment delayed" email. Took 8 months and 5 delays to finally get everything... It all arrived just after my suspention failure at WGI. Oh well. It's one of the things I am most looking forward to getting on the car.

My Cars
    skateboard
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackHawkRacing View Post
    Thank you!

Yes, it is the euro race setup; however, it, unfortunately, is still not installed. I bought it back in 2017 and ordered all the euro gaskets from ECS. They were listed as "In Stock" at the time but then I almost immediately got an email saying they were not actually in stock and needed to be ordered from Germany. Everytime a new deliverly date would approach I'd get another "shippment delayed" email. Took 8 months and 5 delays to finally get everything... It all arrived just after my suspention failure at WGI. Oh well. It's one of the things I am most looking forward to getting on the car.
    I had it installed about a year or so ago. Made pretty decent power on my s50 even without a tune. Did you go with the race muffler as well?
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    '99 M3 '10 X5 35d '02 M3
    Yup, euro race headers, race midpipe with resonators, race muffler.

My Cars
    skateboard
    Yup, euro race headers, race midpipe with resonators, race muffler.
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    '99 M3 '10 X5 35d '02 M3
    Very nice man! Do you ever run into sound issues at a place like Lime Rock or Palmer?

My Cars
    skateboard
    Very nice man! Do you ever run into sound issues at a place like Lime Rock or Palmer?

The muffler on the car in that picture is the euro m3 scorpion race muffler which was loud, and sounded great. I had to go with the euro m3 ss sport muffler, because the drone was killing me. I think you'll be fine with what you have there.

Here are some videos of both.

Full SS setup. Go to 2 min mark, and 4 min mark.

SS setup with scorpion race muffler.

My Cars
    '99 M3 '10 X5 35d '02 M3
    Started the day off with a single goal; remove the heater core/HVAC box. Generally, I was in a rush as it's NYC marathon day and I had a friend host an after-party that I wanted to make; as such, pictures are limited with this update.

Before today, this is where we stood. Dash was off, most of the dash bars were off and the largest component remaining was the HVAC box.

First order of business was to jack the car and drain the coolant. This ended up being synergistic as I was still running water/water wetter and need to get it swapped before the temps start to drop significantly. For the first time in my life, I did not get a mouth full of coolant and the mess made was limited! Off to a great start!

Next task was the pull the windshield wipers and the trim at the base of the windshield. For something that was just held end by two bolts, the wipers were a nightmare to get off. They required a significant amount of prying force to lift them off their knobs. Additionally, the trim piece required a good amount of force on the corners to fully pop off.

Once both items and the trim piece that connects to the wiring harness crossover were removed, I was able to access the four bolts that hold the HVAC box to the chassis. Before loosening the nuts, I had to disconnect the A/C lines on the passenger side and the coolant lines on the driver side. I had a friend properly drain the A/C at a prior date so there was no concern about having to crack the line and run away. The bolts were quite difficult to access; they are small, 10mm if I remember correctly, have a long bolt the socket needs to cover, and are in an area where you can't just throw the socket on and wrench, a LONG extention is necessary. Unfortunately, the extended sockets on my 3/8 drive set only go down to 12mm, so i was stuck with my 1/4 inch driver that only has a 4-inch extension. This required some quality improvising. By quality improvising, I mean duct tape.

Which worked!

Until it didn't.

Thankfully, and stupidly, I realized I had a socket adaptor for a multi-tool screwdriver, and I was able to get the remaining screws off. After some massaging, followed by brute force and a sharp knife, IT WAS FINALLY OUT.

And now I have some new windows in my car.

The progress seems like a small step, but to me it's giant. The entire interior is now free of obstructions, and I can aggressively attack the wiring harness; which is next weekends primary task.

I was unable to access the back of the head to install the block off plate, so currently, the car is now sitting coolant-less. Since I only drained the coolant because I didn't want the water to freeze and potentially crack the block, I am not too concerned but, is there any issue leaving the block/radiator empty for the winter?

The deeper I am getting into this, the more I want to pull the engine for cleaner access to the engine bay; that said, space availability negates this. However, I am checking out a new garage this week so TBD.

Until next week!
    Last edited by BlackHawkRacing; 11-04-2018 at 07:11 PM.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Great stuff, watching! I'm slowly going down a similar path. So no option to defog front windshield? Or are you going to install an electrical solution?

My Cars
    '99 M3 '10 X5 35d '02 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by aeronaut View Post
    Great stuff, watching! I'm slowly going down a similar path. So no option to defog front windshield? Or are you going to install an electrical solution?
    Thank you! Going the electrical route.

https://www.bimmerworld.com/BimmerWo...oster-Kit.html

My Cars
    skateboard
    When are you pulling the wiring out? I’d love to figure how it all goes back in for mine lol
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    '99 M3 '10 X5 35d '02 M3
    SS setup with scorpion race muffler.

Winner winner right here, sounds nice!

- - - Updated - - -

When are you pulling the wiring out? I’d love to figure how it all goes back in for mine lol
    Hopefully over the next two weekend. Will only be free on Sunday both weekends but having everything totally unobstructed will hopefully allow me to work some good efficiency.

My Cars
    skateboard

BMW CCA IP Build

Winner winner right here, sounds nice!

- - - Updated - - -

Hopefully over the next two weekend. Will only be free on Sunday both weekends but having everything totally unobstructed will hopefully allow me to work some good efficiency.
    It sounds great , but the drone is a killer at cruising speed‘s.

Shoot me a pm. I’m kind of local.
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    '99 M3 '10 X5 35d '02 M3
    Finally, does anyone know what this black box relates to? It is just above the battery in the trunk (Passenger side). Also, just below the black box, there are some wires I can't figure out as well (second picture). Thank you in advance if anyone can help out!

Follow up, the wire with the sheathing going into the wheel well relates to the EVAP system. Since I am deleting the charcoal canister, this will also be removed.

No real updates from this weekend. One of the biggest downsides to living in NYC is that garage space comes at a premium. As such, my portion of the garage I rent is only 17x8 and I have to fit all of my stuff within this space. This requires me to use the car interior for storage to some degree. It was becoming very annoying, every time I want to work on the car, to have to push it out of the garage, unload all the items from inside the car and then when I'm done, put it all back in the car. Finally fed up, I spent Saturday removing everything from the garage and completely reorganized it; freeing up a ton of space on my shelving. I then boxed up all the smaller components I've removed and wrapped all the larger one in contractor bags. With the newly found space, I am now able to store all of the items that were once inside the car, on the shelves. Going forward, I won't have to push the car outside to work on it (if it's not getting up on jacks). This will hopefully end up working out well since it's finally starting to get cold and the only things left before the cage builder are wire harness thining and sound deadening removal.

My Cars
    97 M3 Coupe
    Cant wait to see more of the wiring, thats my project for this winter and I think seeing yours will really help out since all the old diy are gone.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast