Thread: Headrest Stuck

My Cars
    1995 BMW 525i

Headrest Stuck

My Front power headrest is stuck. When I pull up the power seat adjuster, I hear a motor noise but the headrest does not move. I have tried pressing on the rest while working the switch but I cannot move it at all. I really want to at least get it farther down so I can see over it.
    The passanger headrest is the same way.

Any idea?

My Cars
    325i, buzzy jap crap
    I vote you take off the rear panels (pull up and out from the bottom, then down to unhook the top) and see if you can see anything wrong like something being off a track or something...

My Cars
    2008 M5; 2017 330xiT
    Its the worm drive cable pulling out of the socket. Same fix as with the other parts of the seat. Do a search or see www.bmwe34.net. It has been well documented.
    2008 BMW M5 6-speed
    Silverstone II/Indianapolis Red/Aluminum
    Enhanced Audio, 20-way seats with Active Backrest, iPod, Comfort Access, Shades
    RPI GT Sec. 1, 2 and 3, Scoops, Plates, BMC Filters
    H&R Sport / Dinan Roll Control F+R / TMS 12.5mm
    IND Gloss Black Grills

17 330xiT, 93 Miata, 13 BRZ, 18 2500 Duramax

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i

head rest repair

I'm with Alan on this one...the drive cable has come disengaged..and there's an even easier fix that only requres a 1/4 inch of wire coat hanger to fix the problem.

I've written this many times over the years on several boards...so it's easier just to point you to a past link that describes the process: http://bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/forums/e34/7282323-1.html

Take note of the updated instructions..it will make it a lot easier to get access to the headrest motor to undo the drive cable.

What you are basically doing is removing the headrest's motor & shelf off the side of the seat frame so that you can undo the drive cable...you then insert a "straight" piece of wire coat hanger (1/4 inch...no more no less) into the drive...then re-insert the cable. This will help center the cable within the sheathing. It has worked for me on 3 BMW headrests and I haven't had a problem with them since.

(this is where you want to insert the 1/4 inch piece of coat hanger: photo by W. Fong)

(here is the headrest motor on the right side of pic...instead of removing the motor from the shelf first (indicated by the red arrows pointing to the screws)...pull the leather from the tongs on that side of the seat so that you can access the screws on the side of the seat frame that secures the little shelf that the motor is mounted to...remove both...then you can access and remove the screws that hold the motor to the shelf a lot easier: photo by Don Gale)
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 03-03-2007 at 01:20 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    2008 M5; 2017 330xiT
    Thanks for clarifying my post QSilver, had it not been so late and me so tired, I would have done the same!
    2008 BMW M5 6-speed
    Silverstone II/Indianapolis Red/Aluminum
    Enhanced Audio, 20-way seats with Active Backrest, iPod, Comfort Access, Shades
    RPI GT Sec. 1, 2 and 3, Scoops, Plates, BMC Filters
    H&R Sport / Dinan Roll Control F+R / TMS 12.5mm
    IND Gloss Black Grills

17 330xiT, 93 Miata, 13 BRZ, 18 2500 Duramax

My Cars
    '95 530i
    Guys, Followed your instructions today and it worked like a charm. Probably the easiest repair I've made to date. Thanks

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    yep...an incredibly easy but weird fix...but hey...it works!

But the first time I did it...before I found out about the shelf being screwed to the seat frame...it was a bear trying to unscrew the cable from the motor. There is a cut out in the seat frame to reach them, but the angle is weird and I needed a socket with and adjustable elbow...and then one of the screws dropped down into one of the pockets that you can't access in the seat frame!!! ARGHHH!, boy was that frustrating.

Then the 2nd time I did it...something made me pull the leather back, and I saw that the shelf that the motor sits on was screwed (not welded) to the seat frame...which makes the job go so much quicker and definitely less frustrating.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    1994 BMW 530i
    I have the same issue with my headrest.. This site is the "bomb". I'm so glad that a friend of mine told me about this site. I have learned so much about my car since I've been reading and posting threads on this site, it's unbelievable. This beats going to dealer or having to take my ride to someone who might try to be me out of some money....thanks guys & gals....

My Cars
    '95 530i
    I agree. With this website, a Bentley's manual and a good set of tools there is almost nothing that the home mechanic can't fix. I replaced my headgaskets with little to no help by simply reading this forum and by book.

My Cars
    S50 powered '93 BMW 525i/A
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 Black Bee View Post
    I have the same issue with my headrest.. This site is the "bomb". I'm so glad that a friend of mine told me about this site. I have learned so much about my car since I've been reading and posting threads on this site, it's unbelievable. This beats going to dealer or having to take my ride to someone who might try to be me out of some money....thanks guys & gals....
    +3.1415926535897982384626433

I swear I have saved thousands in labor in DIY repairs... I want to publicly thank BFC and all it's members for all the help!

Now off to do my headrests. I have done both "twists" and this should take all of 10 minutes...

My Cars
    95 540i
    I am going to try and fix this today. See how it goes.
    1995 540i E34 Black on Black
    First BMW. Will only own BMW's for the rest of my life.

TVease.net - We create media center PC's for the masses
    I own and operate the company

My Cars
    AudioSnob
    OK ...now for the dumbest question I have ever asked (probably). How do I know if I have power headrests? I have a '95 525iT ...and have never been able to budge the headrests. I have pulled every way possible and they won't budge. Ideas / suggestions?

>^..^<

My Cars
    '94 540iA, '73 240Z, '04 MSM (WOW)
    Quote Originally Posted by IamCatman View Post
    OK ...now for the dumbest question I have ever asked (probably). How do I know if I have power headrests? I have a '95 525iT ...and have never been able to budge the headrests. I have pulled every way possible and they won't budge. Ideas / suggestions?

>^..^<
    There is a lever on the side of your seat that is taller than the rest. Moving it foreward/backward tilts the back of the seat respectively. Pull up on this same lever. You should see your headrest move, or at least a motor should run, in which case.....see above post by Qsilver7

Beyern type 5 wheels, Brembo Cross drilled/slotted brakes (F/R), Bilstein sport shocks, Eibach pro kit springs, RD sways bars, K&N cold air intake, Cat delete, Billy Boat cat back SS exhaust, Dinan DME and Trans chips

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i - E39

1/4 inch coat hanger placement

Does the piece of coat hanger lay horizontal in the drive or do you stand it vertical?

My Cars
    95 540iA M-Sport & 525iT
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottomattic2usa View Post
    Does the piece of coat hanger lay horizontal in the drive or do you stand it vertical?
    Haven't done this myself, but from what I gather of what it's doing you'd want to stand it vertical in the hole before you re-insert the drive cable.

It prevents the cable from moving too far into the sheath on the motor side thus keeping the cable inserted fully into the drive side. The failure is that the cable moves in the sheath towards the motor over time and eventually moves far enough that it's no longer engaged in the drive side. And that little piece of coathanger keeps the cable from fully bottoming out in the motor side which keeps the cable centered in the sheath so that an equal amount of cable is protruding out of each end of sheath and properly engaging both the motor & drive units.
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build
    OEM additions include Euro trim, passenger seat mounted first aid kit, tool kit warning triangle, clears all around, black chrome exhaust tips, spare tire well gas can, and rear armrest fridge.

Waiting for install is an adjustable lumbar support, & drivers side glove box...

My Cars
    1995 525i 5spd
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba966 View Post
    Haven't done this myself, but from what I gather of what it's doing you'd want to stand it vertical in the hole before you re-insert the drive cable.

It prevents the cable from moving too far into the sheath on the motor side thus keeping the cable inserted fully into the drive side. The failure is that the cable moves in the sheath towards the motor over time and eventually moves far enough that it's no longer engaged in the drive side. And that little piece of coathanger keeps the cable from fully bottoming out in the motor side which keeps the cable centered in the sheath so that an equal amount of cable is protruding out of each end of sheath and properly engaging both the motor & drive units.
    I have been putting off the repair fo this just because I am lazy to cut the sheathing and do the hoseclamp trick or the melt and reconnect trick. THIS however is ingenious and I will do it this weekend!!

My Cars
    95 540iA M-Sport & 525iT
    Yeah, think I need to do this to one of mine as well. Had one crap out on me just before my lower timing chain cover got violently busted taking the car off the road. And as it's been a while I don't recall which side needs to be repaired...
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build
    OEM additions include Euro trim, passenger seat mounted first aid kit, tool kit warning triangle, clears all around, black chrome exhaust tips, spare tire well gas can, and rear armrest fridge.

Waiting for install is an adjustable lumbar support, & drivers side glove box...

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i - E39
    Quote Originally Posted by cornflakecwl View Post
    I have been putting off the repair fo this just because I am lazy to cut the sheathing and do the hoseclamp trick or the melt and reconnect trick. THIS however is ingenious and I will do it this weekend!!
    Let me know how it works out for you?

My Cars
    92 535i
    http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_33.htm
    and this other link is for other common seat issues:
    http://twrite.org/shogunnew/fixes/seats.html
    Last edited by arora; 04-26-2011 at 04:00 AM.

My Cars
    e38 BMW 740il
    Does this work on E38 too?

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Yes, it also works on E38
    BMW E32, E34 Headrest Repair for FREE... 735i, 740i, 750il, 535i, 540i https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4pcjV9WUls

seat cables fix https://www.odometergears.com/howto/...Cables_Fix.pdf
    Last edited by shogun; 03-19-2023 at 07:54 AM.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!