Thread: 97 540i: Can't Find External Temperature Sensor

My Cars
    540i

97 540i: Can't Find External Temperature Sensor

Hey guys, I've been plagued with the -40 degrees displaying on my dash... after searching the forums I found a DIY to fix the problem but I just can't seem to locate my sensor. I checked under both fog lights directly under the bumper (both passenger and drive) and all I see is plastic covering the undercarriage. Any help would be appreciated.

My Cars
    2000 528i (01/2000 mfg. date)
    Check that plastic that you see covering the undercarriage. The sensor is not mounted to the bumper but to a portion of the front passenger's wheel well:

#14 in the diagram, but on the passenger's side:
    Click the picture to go to an online parts database

Here's a picture:
    Last edited by PJB; 07-09-2009 at 01:25 AM.

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Quote Originally Posted by PJB View Post
    Check that plastic that you see covering the undercarriage. The sensor is not mounted to the bumper but to a portion of the front passenger's wheel well:

#14 in the diagram, but on the passenger's side:
    Click the picture to go to an online parts database

Here's a picture:
    Absolutely true!
    Where is the External Temperature Sensor located?

My Cars
    1997 540i, 2012 X5
    Make sure you're looking at the right part of the undercarriage. it should be on the passenger side. I had cracked the plastic that the sensor was mounted to. it eventually fell off, leaving just the two sensor wires. that's when I got the -40 reading. Bottom line, your sensor might be gone...

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Dollars to donuts...if the OP looked on the passenger side and couldn't see anything...I bet the whole she-bang is gone!

"She's missin' Cap'tin...she's bin ripped right off to the gullet!"

For instance...some interesting pics from past threads on this topic (found by minutes using the ADVANCED SEARCH feature...narrowing the search words to the e39 forum only)
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    540i
    I found the wire tucked in under the front bumper. It turns out the entire under panel is gone. Does anyone have the part numbers for the under panel and temp sensor?

Thanks

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by P11 View Post
    I found the wire tucked in under the front bumper. It turns out the entire under panel is gone. Does anyone have the part numbers for the under panel and temp sensor?

Thanks
    See the following line in my first post (post #2):
    "Click the picture to go to an online parts database"

There you'll find the part number for the lower engine compartment cover in an online parts database, already preset for a 1997 540i.

See the links Qsilver7 posted (post #5):
    There you'll find the part number for the external temperature sensor for a 540i.

My Cars
    540i
    Thanks for the info, since I only have wires hanging would I need more than just the sensor and under panel?

My Cars
    Thanks for the info, since I only have wires hanging would I need more than just the sensor and under panel?
    That depends on what is at the end of the wires. If the ends are in tact then just the sensor is needed. If the ends are frayed, cut, or otherwise damaged, then I would suggest that in addition to the sensor, you pick up Bavarian Autosport's External Air Temperature Sensor Plug Repair Kit (part number 61138365340KIT):

You can buy the passenger's lower engine compartment cover, the external temperature sensor, and the wiring repair kit for about $122 USD before shipping.

My Cars
    540i
    The ends of the wires appear to have been cut. What does my post count have to be in order to post pictures?

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    You will need the wiring harness (part #3 below).
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...79&hg=65&fg=70

Qsilver7 has posted in the past about a kit you can purchase that has everything you need.

Edit: PJB posted it above while I was typing.
    Last edited by jamesdc4; 07-09-2009 at 02:56 PM.

My Cars
    540i
    The shipping would cost me $17 alone since I live in Toronto. I'll most likely go to my local dealership and buy the necessary parts. Thanks for the help.

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    The ends of the wires appear to have been cut. What does my post count have to be in order to post pictures?
    You need 15 posts to gain photo posting privileges.
    How many posts do I need before I can....?

My Cars
    540i
    Thank you sir.

My Cars
    01 330i
    I'm having this same problem with a friends car. The entire sensor was ripped off and just the 2 wires are dangling, I tried connecting the wires directly to the sensor both ways and it still reads -40 if I touch the 2 wires together I get +120 do I need to get the entire wiring harness? or am I just missing a step like disconnecting the battery or something? Also the interior fan and A/C are not working at all. I have full control of the center cluster, everything lights up but nothings coming out are these problems related. I've checked all the fuses in the trunk and in the glove compartment and they all appear to be fine

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesfogarty05 View Post
    I'm having this same problem with a friends car. The entire sensor was ripped off and just the 2 wires are dangling, I tried connecting the wires directly to the sensor both ways and it still reads -40 if I touch the 2 wires together I get +120 do I need to get the entire wiring harness? or am I just missing a step like disconnecting the battery or something? Also the interior fan and A/C are not working at all. I have full control of the center cluster, everything lights up but nothings coming out are these problems related. I've checked all the fuses in the trunk and in the glove compartment and they all appear to be fine
    I believe you need the wiring harness kit and yes, the problems are related.

My Cars
    01 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesdc4 View Post
    I believe you need the wiring harness kit and yes, the problems are related.
    Thank you very much sir