Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Racing mesh upgrade...Inexpensive!

My Cars
    2008 e92 335i
    i like it to each is his own...

the only thing i would say might look better if you painted the mesh black..? flat black.? either way its looks good

goodluck

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    Update...already have had SEVERAL large objects get caught up on the mesh vs. ending up on the inside covering the radiator fins (a piece of plastic bag, a couple large leaves, a paper sack and a few choice bugs when the weather turned warm. It was worth the $15 investment IMO...

BTW, saw the EXACT same stuff for sale on eBay being marketed as "racemesh". The seller wanted $3.50 for a piece that will ONLY cover the lower bumper area and +/-$11.50 for S&H. Remember that I picked up a 20-foot roll of this stuff for $3.99 and the edging for $10...just FYI.

BTW, is it my imagination or is it true that the guys who don't care for this already have the M-tech bumper? I would have deleted the plastic grillwork behind the bumper but it doesn't seem practical and when I removed the fog access panels to compare, it didn't look as good as leaving the "plastic slats" in place.

'00 540iA Sport w/235k+ Original TCG's, Vanos and transmission.​*Trans failure at 244k+...FS Now

My Cars
    2000 528i E39
    in the end I like it, maybe figure out how to replace the latch for the hood with something thinner, and lastly, I could've sworn I've seen some similar material only Black and Plastic... but anyways, mad props for thinking outside the box.

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA

Thumbs up Correct and thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by omnixero View Post
    in the end I like it, maybe figure out how to replace the latch for the hood with something thinner, and lastly, I could've sworn I've seen some similar material only Black and Plastic... but anyways, mad props for thinking outside the box.
    Yup and I mentioned it in one of my posts to this thread. It is made by the same company and cost a few cents less. It is black poly and will not scratch, chip, peel, fade or bend like the aluminum. It also is a color many have mentioned that they prefer...

'00 540iA Sport w/235k+ Original TCG's, Vanos and transmission.​*Trans failure at 244k+...FS Now

My Cars
    1973 BMW 2002tii, 2003 BMW 540i, 2004 BMW 330i
    Not feeling it too much

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by 00BMW540i6 View Post
    Still waiting for Hood Latch v2.1
    I just snarfed up some tea.
    "I'd smash that (Jennifer Connelly) like a failed coup in sub-Saharan Africa."
    ~Macktheknife in my epic Jennifer Connelly OT Thread

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    Updated to the black poly vs. painting the aluminum black (it chips that way anyhow) and I definitely like it better. Still bought the stuff from OSH for $3.49/20-feet, which blows away the cost for any of the other "racing mesh" being sold as "pre-cut" for our bumpers. Another cool thing about the black poly is that it doesn't require any type of edging like aluminum so it saves $10 off the cost AND it doesn't bend easily like the aluminum does...

My recommendation now is to just go directly to the black poly and you will save $0.50 on the mesh and $10 on the plastic edging material (as well as a RPITA trying to edge the soft aluminum). Total cost for this "racing mesh" upgrade is now $3.49 vs. $14...WOW!

If you want pix of the black poly install, you'll have to request them cause for some reason, I don't spend much time on BF.c anymore...

My Cars
    '84 e30 318i
    post some pics!
    Quote Originally Posted by volodka1985 View Post
    I have a manual I6 e39 and it's a great car but sometimes when i need to accelerate fast and it doesn't( cause it can't) i just wanna slow down, pull over, open the hood and shoot the poor bastard in it's inline 6 heart....

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    As requested by a few, here is a pic of the black poly install to cover the fugliness BMW stuck on the stock bumper (sorry, she needs a bath). I agree with others that it looks much better than the aluminum and won't chip like a painted metal...not to mention the best thing, it only cost $3.49 for 20-feet (so what do you have to lose except that ugly gaping hole under your bumper)!!

Also notice the nice new clear corner headlight cover...it looks so good, I think I'm gonna get the AE's to go with 'em. Peace...

Here's a daytime pic with the old aluminum still behind the kidney grill for contrast. Take note of how good the black poly looks in full daylight...sweet, yes?

Last edited by ViolinARC; 06-03-2008 at 06:25 AM. Reason: Add pic...

My Cars
    2006 4Runner
    I would spraypaint the mesh black but I also wouldn't do this to my car.

FYI, if you look closely at his pictures, he cut out the left-most slot so that you can access the hood release.
    Possibly, maybe, conceivably, thinking about getting back into another E39. Hide your daughters

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by TyroneShoe View Post
    I would spraypaint the mesh black but I also wouldn't do this to my car.

FYI, if you look closely at his pictures, he cut out the left-most slot so that you can access the hood release.
    Very observant but the hood release was already separated out by a plastic slat so I didn't have to do anything special.

The lower "mesh" is already black poly but the "mesh" behind the kidney grills is still the "raw" aluminum (left for contrast). As I stated, the black poly is a better material because it doesn't crack, chip or peel like painted metal does. Someone else painted theirs black but it became roadrashed after a VERY short period of time and looked beat.

I noticed that you said you wouldn't do this to your car but yet, it appears that you have the M-tech bumper. Doesn't the M-tech bumper already have black plastic "mesh" in that gaping hole? I'm just trying to make the stock bumper look better and decided to "copy" the M5/M-tech style so I don't have to display all the crap behind the holes in my bumper and grill. Just an observation of my own...

Thanks for the comments...

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    Here ya go...a final pic of the proper install with the black poly behind the kidney grills and in front of the bumper slats. I think it works really well...thanks for the support and suggestions for switching to black.

My Cars
    '84 e30 318i
    i love the way this mod looks! especially behind the kidneys. good work man.
    Quote Originally Posted by volodka1985 View Post
    I have a manual I6 e39 and it's a great car but sometimes when i need to accelerate fast and it doesn't( cause it can't) i just wanna slow down, pull over, open the hood and shoot the poor bastard in it's inline 6 heart....

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA

Thumbs up Much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballistic View Post
    i love the way this mod looks! especially behind the kidneys. good work man.
    Thanks bro...I think the "stealth" black look really enhances the stock bumper to the point that I actually don't need to spend the bucks on the M-tech! All you guys stuck with the stock bumper can now go out to the hardware store, spend $3.49 and make yours "stealth stock" too...

My Cars
    Oxford 540i6 3/98
    I thought the aluminum was fugly. But I think the black poly might be growing on me. It's a lot more subtle.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES, NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING .....BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA

Thumbs up Glad it changed your mind...stealth black FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by biscuitnd View Post
    I thought the aluminum was fugly. But I think the black poly might be growing on me. It's a lot more subtle.
    Yeah...the aluminum stands out a bit too much on a dark color but IMO it looked way better than the aux fan cover behind the grill. As for the aluminum, it might look better on an Alpine White but that's about it...

My Cars
    E39 540ia
    The lower black mesh looks pretty good.

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Quote Originally Posted by dpatel1026 View Post
    The lower black mesh looks pretty good.
    I did the lower black mesh. It was easy and looks great. Way better than the stock look.

My Cars
    97 540 auto
    IDK wat it is but your headlight covers looks messed up. that black Housing should go all the way around in a circular pattern were as yours end at the top.

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1st3series View Post
    IDK wat it is but your headlight covers looks messed up. that black Housing should go all the way around in a circular pattern were as yours end at the top.
    1st3series,

I'm not sure what you mean. They are OE Hella replacements so they should be identical to stock.

My Cars
    RWD + TORQUE
    Quote Originally Posted by 12CoolDude View Post
    Thanks bro...I think the "stealth" black look really enhances the stock bumper to the point that I actually don't need to spend the bucks on the M-tech! All you guys stuck with the stock bumper can now go out to the hardware store, spend $3.49 and make yours "stealth stock" too...
    Whatever floats your boat.

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    I'm finally posting up some (bad) photos of this upgrade. Until a bumper upgrade is financially feasible, this is a great (affordable) way to upgrade the stock appearance.

Last edited by jamesdc4; 02-04-2009 at 10:06 PM.

My Cars
    1997 528i
    I don't like..Good idea though

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Quote Originally Posted by Constructo003 View Post
    It's gotten mixed reviews.
    The lower part of the stock bumper is just plain ugly. This upgrade is just to try to cover the ugly part and make it a little more bearable. IMO it is much better than nothing at all. Under $4.00.
    My wife won't let me do the M5 bumper upgrade right now.
    Last edited by jamesdc4; 02-04-2009 at 10:36 PM.

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by 1st3series View Post
    Good observation...DEPO knock offs, which saved money (half as much as Hellas) but definitely looks "less than stock" IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesdc4 View Post
    1st3series,

I'm not sure what you mean. They are OE Hella replacements so they should be identical to stock.
    Incorrect Bro...the headlight covers are NOT Hella but are indeed DEPO knockoffs! My tail lights are Hella Celis though so that may be where the confusion lies...
    Quote Originally Posted by webdesigner View Post
    Whatever floats your boat.
    Yeah..that's a really helpful comment...NOT! Do you like it or hate it please?
    Quote Originally Posted by Constructo003 View Post
    Thanks for your honesty...
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesdc4 View Post
    It's gotten mixed reviews.
    The lower part of the stock bumper is just plain ugly. This upgrade is just to try to cover the ugly part and make it a little more bearable. IMO it is much better than nothing at all. Under $4.00.
    My wife won't let me do the M5 bumper upgrade right now.
    Can you say pu**y whipped??? LMAO Looks kinda dirty to me...LOL! Seriously, MUCH better than that nasty stock look and you didn't even need my help like you thought.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast