Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Racing mesh upgrade...Inexpensive!

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSapphire View Post
    You have to be kidding if you're really saying this about someone saying "Mr. Smarty Pants". If not,
    Questioning a Moderator.

My Cars
    2000 528I
    To each his own. I personally do not love it, but there will be some people that can benefit from this thread. At least he is being creative.
    2000 E39 Stock down to faulty Vanos!

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540i M-Tech
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesdc4 View Post
    Questioning a Moderator.

No time out, just spank me.

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by mookish View Post
    Maybe a different kind of mesh needs to be used, the "chicken fence" stuff looks cheap. Also, the mesh looks a lot better in the bumper rather than in the grills....
    Have you EVER seen chicken wire??
    Quote Originally Posted by adjmcloon View Post
    Sort of off-topic, but I just bought some mesh off of ebay and got the wrong size. If anyone wants it I'd sell it pretty cheap. Here's a link to the auction, and a pic:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=008&sspagename=STRK%3AME WA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=180217550676&rd=1

Send me a PM. Let's say, $15 shipped? This is automotive mesh.
    You can buy THREE rolls of the Gutter Guard for the same money AND you could screw it up umpteen number of times with enough left over to do your house gutters...LMAO! A very similar material BTW...
    Quote Originally Posted by biscuitnd View Post
    my $0.02 for those thinking about trying something like this, so you know what your shopping for.

This is "woven mesh" or "woven wire mesh", it comes in different guages (thickness), materials, gap sizes, colors, etc.

These are commonly referred to as "expanded metal"

This is "welded wire mesh"

This is "hexagonal wire mesh" a.k.a "chicken wire" (a bunch of thin wires twisted together)
    The stuff I used is the expanded metal type and am betting that it's just a bit thinner than the actual "race mesh"...thanks for the visuals. Personally I don't think it even looks remotely like chicken wire.
    Quote Originally Posted by gurmukhbhogal View Post
    Cooldude, if you had a different mesh (I'l post pix) it might have looked better, but this one aaaaaaaaa not my type!! I see that you broke the so called clips from the black trim and you say that you were left with only one on each, how did manage to hold the grill in place?
    The two pieces of the kidney grill clip together and "pinch" the body of the car between the two pieces, which fortunately, still holds the thing in place. Feels solid too interestingly enough...
    Quote Originally Posted by Millenium E39 View Post
    To each his own. I personally do not love it, but there will be some people that can benefit from this thread. At least he is being creative.
    You are entitled to your opinion and I respect that. Thanks for the compliment too!

'00 540iA Sport w/235k+ Original TCG's, Vanos and transmission.​*Trans failure at 244k+...FS Now

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    Here ya go if you prefer a carbon fiber or any other combination of styles and materials but it won't be as inexpensive as this DIY project. I'm willing to bet that it is the EXACT same material (if stamped out of aluminum of course) and patterning available from the hardware store as to us automotive enthusists...we're just willing to spend more so they think we are suckers and overcharge.

http://www.metlx.com/products_smallmesh.html

'00 540iA Sport w/235k+ Original TCG's, Vanos and transmission.​*Trans failure at 244k+...FS Now

My Cars
    x5 330i 525i all stick
    Longest thread about gutter guard ever...........

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    Amazing what gets read and what gets ignored...isn't it?

My Cars
    1998 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by OGM3 View Post
    Longest thread about gutter guard ever...........
    True, better than talking about oil....

Quote Originally Posted by smurfdawg View Post
    Live the Yuppie life, drive the Yuppie car, pay the Yuppie price.
    Don't live the Yuppie life, but like to pose as a Yuppie? Pay the Yuppie price.
    Don't live the Yuppie life, don't make the Yuppie income, but like the Yuppie car? Be quiet and learn to get your hands dirty.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540i M-Tech
    True, better than talking about oil....
    LOL - so true. Throw tires into that mix as well.

My Cars
    02 e39 525
    hey i have a friend who did kinda the same thing on an m3 but he got some melting . burning when he first put it on smoke was coming out of the engine but it was only the first drive with it and also the glue didnt work right it just never held,

you happen to get any of those problems

PS i personally like the "race mesh"

My Cars
    00' 528i, 11' Legacy

Question

Factory tint???? I can see right through your car, and since when was there factory tint? Anyway, when I say stock I mean factory options. Everything you mentioned are all "stock". This front is not stock and looks good with the mesh...I'm not hating as some say beacuse I like mesh, you just need more mods, factory options are not mods.

Sssssssssssssooooo what "mods" make this not stock?
    The black grill or sink drains?
    Cuz everything else looks like stock, or "factory" M5 parts....

Anthony, congrats on tryin something I wouldnt have the Bawls to have tried. I too hate the fan clutch look... the lower grill is terrible on our cars... lookin forward to seein the outcome!!!!
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION

- 2000 528i Sport
    -
    Got any questions about my car? Feel free to PM me!

My Cars
    2016 328d Xdrive M
    Well, back in my 'ricer' days with my CRX, I bought a sheet of this stuff from home depot for like $3.00. I laid it out, hammered it out flat because I didn't want the louvered look. Cut it, shaped it, and epoxied it to the back of my bumper. I loved the way it looked (and still think it looks ok), and always got compliments on it.
    My CRX got stolen, six months later it was recovered, and the car sat in the impound lot (which was an open FIELD by the way) for over a YEAR through all the weather while they were trying to figure everything out. (VIN change).
    There was no rust on my grill when I got the car back. Plenty of other places on the car, but the grill was rust free. Just thought I would throw that out there.

Again, to each their own, do what makes your car make you smile.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540i M-Tech
    Quote Originally Posted by FP5241 View Post
    Sssssssssssssooooo what "mods" make this not stock?
    The black grill or sink drains?
    Cuz everything else looks like stock, or "factory" M5 parts....

Anthony, congrats on tryin something I wouldnt have the Bawls to have tried. I too hate the fan clutch look... the lower grill is terrible on our cars... lookin forward to seein the outcome!!!!
    Jamie, what's the 'fan clutch' look?

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540i M-Tech
    Quote Originally Posted by graphicjunkie View Post

Again, to each their own, do to your car what makes you smile.

I couldn't agree more! However, let me add one additional thing:

Don't whine if you ask for opinions on the Internet and get them. People aren't 'hating'. If they don't like it, they don't like it. Plain and simple. What's wrong with saying so? It's just honesty. I hate when people say "looks good" when they're really saying "no way in hell would I do that to something I own". There is no need for everyone to defend each other. We're all adults and we all have opinions. Some are more vocal than others and then there are some that will tell you it looks great because they don't like conflict and they're 'yes' men.

Keep doing what YOU like. Show it off if YOU like. You'll get opinions if you do. Take the good with the bad and move on.

Keep modding boyz!

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Jamie, what's the 'fan clutch' look?
    "What I'd love to hide is the fan and the ugly black grill in the stock lower bumper."
    We are talking about the way the fan shows throught the kidney grills. Not very attractive.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540i M-Tech
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesdc4 View Post
    "What I'd love to hide is the fan and the ugly black grill in the stock lower bumper."
    We are talking about the way the fan shows throught the kidney grills. Not very attractive.
    I gotcha. Yeah, that aux fan's a beaut, ain't she clark?

The word clutch threw me off since it's on the other side of the radiator. I thought you were saying you could see it. doh!

My Cars
    00' 528i, 11' Legacy

Wink Time for the Tony Reali-esque fact check wrap up...

Quote Originally Posted by 12CoolDude View Post
    OK...I'm posting this early at the request of my Bro. He's very anxious to see the results of the first stage of this project. The second stage will be to do the bumper cover opening...

(1) pick up some Gutter Guard from your local hardware store for +/-$3.99

(2) pop hood and remove the kidney grill (lift the 'silver' clips with a flathead screwdriver)

(3) here is your opp to clean things up a bit so carefully wash parts with soap and water (note that the non-silver clips are brittle and WILL break as I only had ONE clip on each grill left intact)

(4) trim "racing mesh" so it will fit into the back of the kidney grill (overlap the opening slightly and 'press' mesh carefully around edges to fit into the opening)

(5) use some clear glue on each 'corner' to keep the mesh in place, click your two piece grill together on the body and VOILA, you have a racing mesh background for your kidneys instead of looking at the stupid fugly electric fan cover

Personally, I LOVE IT!
    I couldn't agree more! However, let me add one additional thing:

Don't whine if you ask for opinions on the Internet and get them. People aren't 'hating'. If they don't like it, they don't like it. Plain and simple. What's wrong with saying so? It's just honesty. I hate when people say "looks good" when they're really saying "no way in hell would I do that to something I own". There is no need for everyone to defend each other. We're all adults and we all have opinions. Some are more vocal than others and then there are some that will tell you it looks great because they don't like conflict and they're 'yes' men.

Keep doing what YOU like. Show it off if YOU like. You'll get opinions if you do. Take the good with the bad and move on.

Keep modding boyz!
    Nowhere in the original post did 12CoolDude ask for opinions... He stated his personal opinion...

The word clutch threw me off since it's on the other side of the radiator. I thought you were saying you could see it. doh!
    Fp5241 cited the wrong fan... as obviously as you stated the fan clutch is on the other side of the radiator...

+100,675 cool points to BlackSapphire for a Cousin Eddie reference...

Good job fellas!!!

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

- 2000 528i Sport
    -

My Cars
    x5 330i 525i all stick
    possible STICKY???

My Cars
    '09 335i 6mt, '80 cb750
    Looks nice. Good work.
    German Engineering, Astounding Ingenuity, Over 9 Decades of Conceptual Continuity

My Cars
    Pull n Release

It threw me off too. I was going to say that " I dont like the way the black hole looks like on my exhaust tip. Maybe I should mesh that up too" but then I would be a penis for saying that. Im sure it would look cool. I can see fab violating his mouse trying to photoshop a piece of mesh on every gaping hole on the e39.

EDIT: opinions will be given regardless of request. Thanks and Regards!

Another FP5241 Creation
    Parting out M54 Engine. Intake and all. Cats avail as well. PM ME!

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by adjmcloon View Post
    Sort of off-topic, but I just bought some mesh off of ebay and got the wrong size. If anyone wants it I'd sell it pretty cheap. Here's a link to the auction, and a pic:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=008&sspagename=STRK%3AME WA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=180217550676&rd=1

Send me a PM. Let's say, $15 shipped? This is automotive mesh.
    Boy, this automotive mesh looks a lot like the Home Depot aluminum gutter guard (minus the two hinges) that I've installed onto two Honda Elements to protect exposed radiators. That said, your ebay seller has hundreds of satified customers so I admire his/her ability to fulfill a market need.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...01746+10401001

My Cars
    00' 528i, 11' Legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by gumbi4u View Post
    It threw me off too. I was going to say that " I dont like the way the black hole looks like on my exhaust tip. Maybe I should mesh that up too" but then I would be a penis for saying that. Im sure it would look cool. I can see fab violating his mouse trying to photoshop a piece of mesh on every gaping hole on the e39.

EDIT: opinions will be given regardless of request. Thanks and Regards!

BWAHAHAHA!!!!
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION

- 2000 528i Sport
    -

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540i M-Tech
    Quote Originally Posted by FP5241 View Post
    Nowhere in the original post did 12CoolDude ask for opinions... He stated his personal opinion...
    I wasn't singling him out - just speaking in general.

My Cars
    00' 528i, 11' Legacy
    I wasn't singling him out - just speaking in general.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION

- 2000 528i Sport
    -

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    All right...so the project continues. Made a run to OSH (Orchard Supply Hardware) to check on the Gutter Guard in black and they DO make it in black poly. You get 20' of the stuff for a mere $3.79 so you could go wacko meshing everything from your windshield to your a**hole Gumbs (LMAO) and it will still be stealth black. I really was checking on this for my Bro cause I know he wants to do his in black and a few others exhibited interest in a blacked out version as well.

I've been looking for some sort of edging before inserting any of that metal into the bumper and wasn't having much luck (except for some expensive stuff on eBay) until I walked into Kragen's tonight and started searching through their door edging. Lookie what I found on the very bottom shelf...a 9'9" roll of black edge trim for a whole $10. Looks like this mesh project is gonna run me a GT of about $14 FTW so put that in your pipe and smoke it!! Stay tuned for a final shot of the completed project...

Thanks for all the encouragement from the non-haters and as I said before...the rest be damned!! LMFAO

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast