Thread: make it ride like an e46..

My Cars
    96 328is, 01 M5

make it ride like an e46..

i know theres tons of threads out there about this but i just had to ask myself..

ok so after driving my car(1996 e36 328is) and riding in my friends car(2002 e46 330i sprt pkg.) ive concluded i love his suspension, like its so smooth for daily driving and it corners like its on rails, and just all around feels so much tighter..

so i want your suggestions of what the best way to make my e36 handle better, similar to the e46 330i sport package maybe better? but i dont want a really hard ride or to dump a TON of money into it..

i heard the x-brace makes a big difference?

thanks!!

^^ Really old picture.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luftwaffe1O1 View Post
    I am going to make a bold claim, that the f30 is this millenium's e30...... god needed a new chariot, he decided to upgrade to something thats not falling apart and making farting noises down the street having satan laughing at him.
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkchaser View Post
    Idiocracy was supposed to be cautionary tale, not a prophecy.

My Cars
    89 325ix, 85 eta
    are you just riding on the stock suspension? how many miles? how many miles are on the E46?

an x-brace will tighten things up a little in the front but if the the looseness is being caused by on the wear and tear items in the suspension then I'd get those replaced first, then get the x-brace.
    Hold on let me get my laptop and read this on the toilet.
    --DrDub

My Cars
    Elise, Evora, NSX,Z4
    the e46 is just a newer car. i have kinds oh cricks and sounds in my car. i just give up

My Cars
    96 328is, 01 M5
    haha nice, i have 120k miles on my car, my friends e46 has uh like 20k lol. so what should i replace to make it like more newer..? shocks struts springs everything?

^^ Really old picture.
    I am going to make a bold claim, that the f30 is this millenium's e30...... god needed a new chariot, he decided to upgrade to something thats not falling apart and making farting noises down the street having satan laughing at him.

My Cars
    96' 328i
    dude, go to understeer.com they seem to have lowest prices for suspensions, im about to order the koni yellows and h&r race springs, that setup whether u get the sport or race springs will run you about $750 which is one of the stiffest setups available, there is also the uuc Sachs setup, or the h&r cup kit for about $700. If you do shocks, struts, springs, (all included in those prices) you should be real swell, but you should check your bushings while your in there, ur getting up there in those miles, so just gotta check that stuff. Suspension is easily diy , specially with a friend, very easy accessible bolts and such, just need some sockets, spring compressor, and which ever method to get the basterd bolt out of the top of the strut

My Cars
    5/94 Euro 325i coupe
    Wasn't the E46 suspension too soft to be good?

Quote Originally Posted by ClintonM3 View Post
    the Audi A4 is a tweaked, cosmetically enhanced, cross platform, put-together overnight VW.
    Quote Originally Posted by joeuser528e View Post
    Staggard setups are for cars that you park at show meets. They go well with 5 screens and 3 12"s.

My Cars
    2002 330i, 1989 535i
    I don't think its too soft, with 17's my car handles quite nice, allthough its been a while since I have driven an M3(either year) Rob's is just old as crap. Can you use a vice as a spring compressor? or is it one of those things you need to buy/rent from autozone. And btw, my car has 18K

My Cars
    2007 Honda Civic
    You rent them.

My Cars
    Vicla
    Quote Originally Posted by Racerhoze
    Can you use a vice as a spring compressor?
    You would risk serious injury by doing it that way. Rent or buy a spring compressor. They're not that expensive.

My Cars
    2002 330i, 1989 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by ElSupremo
    You would risk serious injury by doing it that way. Rent or buy a spring compressor. They're not that expensive.
    Yeah, getting hit in the face with a spring wouldn't be the most fun thing I can think of to do

My Cars
    99 M3
    SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

you wanna make it ride WORSE???
    helloladies

My Cars
    2002 330i, 1989 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by LagunaSecaBlue
    SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

you wanna make it ride WORSE???
    OOOOH ouch But 120K on stock suspension doesnt make for the best handling or ride quality, neither do 16's wrapped with mega 205's

My Cars
    96 328is, 01 M5
    my tires RUL

so should i just replace all the suspension components with the e36 sport suspension(does my car already have this just old?), or what about the e36 m3 suspension(is this a good idea?) where would i get those from though?.. i dont want to lower my car very much, and im not gonna be like auto-xing with it i just want it a little more stiff not like the STIFFEST out there..

^^ Really old picture.

My Cars
    E36
    OEM M3 front struts w/ Koni's
    OEM M3 springs
    Check out http://www.understeer.com and snag yourself the $99 kit under suspension.

That would be an inexpensive upgrade!
    But also you could have new springs (Vogtland) and new Koni shocks for:
    http://www.ajusa.com/cgi-bin/vogtland/details?part_num=9661007&part_name_safe=<nobr&ajr_ skey=6a3e3da1034aebe2f7a1b17b97223970

Remember if you want to go M3 way you have to snag a set of M3 front strut housings as well as the M3 hats / plates.
    You can easily find the housings online. From someone that upgraded to coilovers or upgraded to bilstiens, etc.
    As for the hats / plates you can simply snag those from the dealer, they are cheap.

Basically we have the same car and this is the setup I am in the process of doing. If I go that kit route I will have a set of OEM M3 springs of a '99 with 7k on them if you want.

My Cars
    328is, 330cic, 335i
    dont be stupid and dont listen to these ppls dumb ideas, get konis+ eibach pro kit or h&r sport springs. You wont be dissapointed. Throw in the x-brace later on if you still want some added handeling.

My Cars
    89 325ix, 85 eta
    dont be stupid and dont listen to these ppls dumb ideas
    and the winner for today's most positive and uplifting post is amdspitfire. You are like a ray of sunshine with your words man....

if this is turning into a what suspension should i get thread, then do some searches right? odds are those are not the only suspension parts that need replacing, ie RTABs etc. might as well start looking at RSMs too while you do the suspension swap.
    Hold on let me get my laptop and read this on the toilet.
    --DrDub

My Cars
    E36
    Quote Originally Posted by amdspitfire
    dont be stupid and dont listen to these ppls dumb ideas, get konis+ eibach pro kit or h&r sport springs. You wont be dissapointed. Throw in the x-brace later on if you still want some added handeling.

Glad your wits could be added to this thread! Because after all whatever you say goes right?
    I mean whatever you suggest is the best way, no?

Thanks again!

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M Roadster
    Don't do the M3 suspension if you want to keep a smooth ride. M3 is much more hard core than standard E36. I had a 93 E36 and now have a 99 M3, so I'm qualified to say that. If you want to keep the smooth ride(more or less) but firm it up a little and improve handling, get a set of Bilsteins or Konis, keep the stock springs, replace suspension bushings as needed, and get some 16" or 17" wheels and suitable tires. If you want to stiffen the roll, try some new stiffer sway bars also. My 93 with 16" sport wheels, 225/50x16 performance tires, Bilsteins, shock mounts, was much improved over stock and still comfortable. Not nearly an M3, but not as hardcore either.
    MikeG

My Cars
    96 328is, 01 M5
    ^^ thanks mgambini that helps a lot, i think im going to take your advice and get better tires first then ill get a set of konis and work my way up to different springs if i decide i want it a little more firm, the stiffer sway bars are a great idea too, thanks!! that was the info i was curious about.

^^ Really old picture.