Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: DIY: HomeLink + auto dimming rear view mirror retrofit.

My Cars
    X3,528i,
    thanks for this easy diy.i ordered a auto dimmer mirror without homelink from a e46 and should be receiving it tomorrow...this write up is really useful.
    thanks
    2000 BMW 528i / Manual Tranny / Sport & Premium package / Xenon headlight / Sport seats / Premium sound / DSC /
    2011 BMW X3

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Couple of pics of the finished look

Besides the mirror itself, this base is covered by two big plastic trimpieces, unlike the factory mirror.
    I like the thick look that is creates, but what is best, is that, as you can see, the covers go all the way against the windshield, completely hiding the (hexagonal) mounting point. The stock metal base that has 2 small covers on the base itself, doesn't hide it.

The thicker rubber grommet, almost completely compressed. I was a little worried this might not fitted correctly as the position is slightly offset, but it all went in pretty well, although incredibly fiddly to do.

Side view of the base's trimpiece

On the factory (auto dimm) mirror, the light sensitive sensor was exposed behind a simple hole in the back of the mirror. On this later style mirror, there is a nice piece of transparent plastic that covers it.

All new look. Really liking this myself.

Why? Goes well with all the other switches, matrix displays and amber lights; I want them all.
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    '99 Estoril/Grey M3
    Quote Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
    Couple of pics of the finished look
    Nice! That mirror is gorgeous. I'd love to get my hands on an OE Homelink/Compass/Autodim mirror without an alarm LED. I wonder if they ever made one...

1999 Estoril/Gray M3

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0
    Quote Originally Posted by themadrussian View Post
    Nice! That mirror is gorgeous. I'd love to get my hands on an OE Homelink/Compass/Autodim mirror without an alarm LED. I wonder if they ever made one...
    Did the landrover mirror ever come like that?
    Sean D

08 Cadillac CTS
    06 Toyota Prius

RIP Little Brother 12/09/80 - 09/07/06
    98 ///M3 RIP
    06 Escalade RIP

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Uh yes you can get these. Exact same as what I have, but with 3 extra buttons underneath. I don't have anything to remotely open and not too big a fan of the extra buttons, but if you have a garage or two, then it's a nice-to-have.

IG:

My Cars
    '99 Estoril/Grey M3
    Uh yes you can get these. Exact same as what I have, but with 3 extra buttons underneath. I don't have anything to remotely open and not too big a fan of the extra buttons, but if you have a garage or two, then it's a nice-to-have.

Do you have a part number for that or know what models those are offered on?

EDIT: That one still has an alarm LED. I'd like an electrochromic rear view mirror with compass and homelink but without the alarm LED. I doubt they make these.
    Last edited by themadrussian; 10-10-2010 at 06:14 PM.

1999 Estoril/Gray M3

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Do you have a part number for that or know what models those are offered on?

EDIT: That one still has an alarm LED. I'd like an electrochromic rear view mirror with compass and homelink but without the alarm LED. I doubt they make these.
    Ha I missed that point. Nope, all the new models have the alarm led, although on some of the very latest models...I recently saw a 5GT in the parking garage at my work and there was no alarm led under the mirror. Although no other buttons neither and no idea if it has a compass.

Don't you like the alarm led?

IG:

My Cars
    '99 Estoril/Grey M3
    Ha I missed that point. Nope, all the new models have the alarm led, although on some of the very latest models...I recently saw a 5GT in the parking garage at my work and there was no alarm led under the mirror. Although no other buttons neither and no idea if it has a compass.

Don't you like the alarm led?
    I don't mind the flat alarm LED, but I don't have an alarm so I see no point to having the LED there. Eventually I'll find a BMW mirror with HomeLink, autodim, and compass, but without an alarm LED. I'm sure it exists somewhere!

1999 Estoril/Gray M3

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    I don't mind the flat alarm LED, but I don't have an alarm so I see no point to having the LED there. Eventually I'll find a BMW mirror with HomeLink, autodim, and compass, but without an alarm LED. I'm sure it exists somewhere!
    No alarm? Ha I see. Well maybe if you ever retrofit one...

IG:

My Cars
    E36/E46 M3 - E46 323ci
    Do they have any mirrors with homelink that is NOT autodim? I much prefer to manually dim the mirror

My Cars
    '99 Estoril/Grey M3
    No alarm? Ha I see. Well maybe if you ever retrofit one...
    Heh. Maybe. When that day comes I'll hook up the LED.

Quote Originally Posted by JetBlackE46 View Post
    Do they have any mirrors with homelink that is NOT autodim? I much prefer to manually dim the mirror
    I highly doubt it.

1999 Estoril/Gray M3

My Cars
    E36/E46 M3 - E46 323ci
    How about this? It's a Land Rover but it says may fit some BMWs

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-L...item2c58bd5448

My Cars
    '99 Estoril/Grey M3
    Quote Originally Posted by JetBlackE46 View Post
    How about this? It's a Land Rover but it says may fit some BMWs

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-L...item2c58bd5448
    Interesting. Nice to know it exists!

While I greatly appreciate you searching and finding that for me, I don't really have any desire right now to tinker or mess with my car. It might be sold this spring/summer anyway.

1999 Estoril/Gray M3

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Beware that Range Rover mirror use a different mount. I don't know if this applies to all mirrors, but I know member Trayson had to glue another mounting point to his window to fit a Range Rover compass mirror which he now has.
    I recall the compass symbols were green as well, not BMW amber.

IG:

My Cars
    E36/E46 M3 - E46 323ci

Does the compass dim when your headlights come on? Is this a feature?

Can anyone tell me what each one of these wires are for?

Gray
    Biege or Pinkish (Hard to tell)
    Red
    Green
    Purple
    Brown
    Yellow
    Black
    Orange

I got a mirror from an 07 M5 (I think/got from eBay)

It has the flat clown nose, autodim, homelink...and maybe a compass (I can't tell)
    Last edited by JetBlackE46; 11-23-2010 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    E36/E46 M3 - E46 323ci
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerwin81 View Post
    Hey themadrussian do you have the correct part number for the endcaps? I ordered the end caps you have posted 51167133655 and it came with a window for a rain sensor.

I did the mod last week; you have been a big help. thanks for posting.
    Same thing happened to me...does anyone know the correct part# or was I just unlucky also?

My Cars
    bmw 318ci
    Friend i have 2008 E70 mirror with compass and homelink, ill try to connect and only compass and homelink is working, autodimm wont work? Do you have any experience with this kind of problem?

My Cars
    E36/E46 M3 - E46 323ci
    Quote Originally Posted by zmedak5 View Post
    Friend i have 2008 E70 mirror with compass and homelink, ill try to connect and only compass and homelink is working, autodimm wont work? Do you have any experience with this kind of problem?
    Try covering the front sensor to make it think it's night and then turn on your map light...it should make it go dim. If it doesn't then it's probably defective.

If your Compass and Homelink is working, then it's powered up correctly.

Did you connect the blue/yellow wire? That cancels the autodim feature.

My Cars
    1997 M3/4/A
    So anyone who has hooked up the clown nose, did you pull the other LED or just tap it and leave the other one? The reason I ask is, I have tapped the wires on the LED on the console and also tested the clown nose. The clown nose isn't real bright. I'm wondering if the combo of the lower LED and clown nose is drawing too much power to light up the clown to the bightness I thought these were. Before I go cutting the lower LED out of the circuit, I'm just wondering has experienced a brighter clown nose by doing this?
    Graham
    1997 M3/4/A
    AST 4100s (Sportline)/Vorshlag Front Camber Plates/M X-brace/Rogue Strut Brace/Vorshlag Wheel Studs/Vorshlag Spacers/Vorshlag RSM's/RTAB Limiters/Motion Motorsport Underpanel/RallyRoad Gauge Mount/Ferrea Valves/Supertech Valve Springs and Ti Seats & Retainers/ARP2000 Head Studs/ASC Delete/Custom Velocity Stack Intake/3.91LSD/M Floating Rotors/Stewart H2O pump/Aluminum Radiator/3 Speed Electric Fan (viscous delete)/Dinan Trans Chip/DEPO's with 35w Digital HIDs/Hot Air

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by MPRESV View Post
    So anyone who has hooked up the clown nose, did you pull the other LED or just tap it and leave the other one? The reason I ask is, I have tapped the wires on the LED on the console and also tested the clown nose. The clown nose isn't real bright. I'm wondering if the combo of the lower LED and clown nose is drawing too much power to light up the clown to the bightness I thought these were. Before I go cutting the lower LED out of the circuit, I'm just wondering has experienced a brighter clown nose by doing this?
    when I hooked up the clownnose I bypassed my led in the console. For the exact reason you describe. Now I haven't tried to have both on at the same time, but my guess would be that the +12v is split into +6v for each one.

Why cut the lower one out? Unless you have the gay "loose led" of course instead of the "Euro" one which is like a complete switch unit with a connector on the bottom. I unplugged the connector and hooked up the wires to the clownnose straight on the plug. So I can always just take them out and replug the connector into the led.

This led:

IG:

My Cars
    1997 M3/4/A
    Why cut the lower one out? Unless you have the gay "loose led" of course instead of the "Euro" one which is like a complete switch unit with a connector on the bottom. I unplugged the connector and hooked up the wires to the clownnose straight on the plug. So I can always just take them out and replug the connector into the led.
    I apparently have the 'gay' LED.

That's the only reason I'd cut it out.
    Graham
    1997 M3/4/A
    AST 4100s (Sportline)/Vorshlag Front Camber Plates/M X-brace/Rogue Strut Brace/Vorshlag Wheel Studs/Vorshlag Spacers/Vorshlag RSM's/RTAB Limiters/Motion Motorsport Underpanel/RallyRoad Gauge Mount/Ferrea Valves/Supertech Valve Springs and Ti Seats & Retainers/ARP2000 Head Studs/ASC Delete/Custom Velocity Stack Intake/3.91LSD/M Floating Rotors/Stewart H2O pump/Aluminum Radiator/3 Speed Electric Fan (viscous delete)/Dinan Trans Chip/DEPO's with 35w Digital HIDs/Hot Air

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0
    When I hooked up my mirror with the clown nose LED, I did try to use both, but just like you, they both wernt that bright, so I just used the clown nose & it was fine. I just removed the dash LED & put a blank in its place.
    Sean D

08 Cadillac CTS
    06 Toyota Prius

RIP Little Brother 12/09/80 - 09/07/06
    98 ///M3 RIP
    06 Escalade RIP

My Cars
    1994 bmw 325is coupe
    can some one help im trying took hook up after market mirriors on my 94 bmw 325is the new mirrors have 3 wires r,bk,white and mine have 4 wires br,bl,blk,white

My Cars
    96 ACS S3 CLS, 02 540iA
    I have to thank you, themadrussian for this thread. It was instrumentall in helping me to complete my recent retrofit. You sir, are the king of all things OEM retrofit.

Have actually been wanting to do this retrofit for quite a while now...mainly to get rid of the ugly garage door opener hanging from my sunvisor and for the integrated LED for my alarm. I recently got lucky and ended up doing this retrofit for next to nothing. Got a electrochromatic mirror with Homelink, Compass, and low profile clown nose practically for free from a friend's totaled '09 E90. Unfortunately, he didn't keep the wiring harness for it.
    I was originally going to order the same harness as madrussian did and just add the pins and wires for the alarm LED but then I had an epiphany. At work we have a whole barrel of engine and body harnesses out of various BMW's that we keep in case we need a connector or something. I figured the plug used at the mirror has to be the same as one of the other plugs used somewhere else on one of the cars. After a bit of searching and digging through the harnesses, I found it. Found the right plug connector...just needed to redo the wires as the pins were slightly corroded. I replaced the pins and wires (with parts I already had in my toolbox) and wired it up per the tips and pin-outs found in this thread and got it all up and working for almost next to nothing. Only problem is, I don't have the grommet for a clean connection between the mirror cover and headliner. Will have to search for one of those to clean it up some and I need to finish it off with the proper covers for the arm of the mirror.

So far, i'm loving the Homelink garage opener. Works like a charm. The compass is nice too, but the surprise bonus to this whole retrofit was the auto-dimming function. I never used the dip feature of the stock mirror just because it's kinda annoying and because it gives a really blurred view of everything behind you. With the electrochromatic feature the view is still clear...just darkened to take the edge of the lights behind you. That alone is worth the work of the retrofit.

So, one thing I want to ask is is there a definitive answer as to which covers are the right part numbers for the covers without the hole for the Rain Sensor? There seems to have been some confusion earlier in the thread. Gonna order one tomorrow and wanna make sure I order the right one. Guess I could also look over the ETK at work, but figured i'd ask on here real quick. Anyway, thanks again madrussian and everyone else who added to this thread. Electrochromatic mirror with homelink FTW!
    Alvin Caragay
    Mpire Automotive (https://www.facebook.com/MpireAutomotive/)
    '96 AC Schnitzer S3 Sport CLS Replica (https://www.facebook.com/ACSS3SportCLSR)
    '02 E39 540iAT

My Cars
    1992 325i M50 (ex 325td)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mpowered02 View Post
    I have to thank you, themadrussian for this thread. It was instrumentall in helping me to complete my recent retrofit. You sir, are the king of all things OEM retrofit.

Have actually been wanting to do this retrofit for quite a while now...mainly to get rid of the ugly garage door opener hanging from my sunvisor and for the integrated LED for my alarm. I recently got lucky and ended up doing this retrofit for next to nothing. Got a electrochromatic mirror with Homelink, Compass, and low profile clown nose practically for free from a friend's totaled '09 E90. Unfortunately, he didn't keep the wiring harness for it.
    I was originally going to order the same harness as madrussian did and just add the pins and wires for the alarm LED but then I had an epiphany. At work we have a whole barrel of engine and body harnesses out of various BMW's that we keep in case we need a connector or something. I figured the plug used at the mirror has to be the same as one of the other plugs used somewhere else on one of the cars. After a bit of searching and digging through the harnesses, I found it. Found the right plug connector...just needed to redo the wires as the pins were slightly corroded. I replaced the pins and wires (with parts I already had in my toolbox) and wired it up per the tips and pin-outs found in this thread and got it all up and working for almost next to nothing. Only problem is, I don't have the grommet for a clean connection between the mirror cover and headliner. Will have to search for one of those to clean it up some and I need to finish it off with the proper covers for the arm of the mirror.

So far, i'm loving the Homelink garage opener. Works like a charm. The compass is nice too, but the surprise bonus to this whole retrofit was the auto-dimming function. I never used the dip feature of the stock mirror just because it's kinda annoying and because it gives a really blurred view of everything behind you. With the electrochromatic feature the view is still clear...just darkened to take the edge of the lights behind you. That alone is worth the work of the retrofit.

So, one thing I want to ask is is there a definitive answer as to which covers are the right part numbers for the covers without the hole for the Rain Sensor? There seems to have been some confusion earlier in the thread. Gonna order one tomorrow and wanna make sure I order the right one. Guess I could also look over the ETK at work, but figured i'd ask on here real quick. Anyway, thanks again madrussian and everyone else who added to this thread. Electrochromatic mirror with homelink FTW!
    Alvin,

Do you know the part number for the mirror you used?
    Trying to order one but the numbers I get on realoem dont match up - online parts sources say superseded by part number XXXXXXXX but then that number doesnt show up either when I try to order new or search ebay.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast