Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: DIY: HomeLink + auto dimming rear view mirror retrofit.

My Cars
    '99 Estoril/Grey M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerwin81 View Post
    Hey themadrussian do you have the correct part number for the endcaps? I ordered the end caps you have posted 51167133655 and it came with a window for a rain sensor.

I did the mod last week; you have been a big help. thanks for posting.
    That's odd - sorry to hear about that! I ordered those end caps and received the correct parts. Perhaps your parts supplier made a mistake? Or perhaps mine did and I got lucky?

Glad to hear the mod went well.

1999 Estoril/Gray M3

My Cars
    BMW E36 M3
    Good to hear everyone elses is going well lol.

Does anyone know where I could find the tech manual for these mirrors? i.e. what each coloured wire does? Surely BMW would have something like this.

My Cars
    '99 Estoril/Grey M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Cataldo View Post
    Good to hear everyone elses is going well lol.

Does anyone know where I could find the tech manual for these mirrors? i.e. what each coloured wire does? Surely BMW would have something like this.
    You'd have to find the ETM (the manual that has all of the vehicle electrics in diagrams) for a later model BMW (E60, E90, etc.) to find all the pin-outs.

1999 Estoril/Gray M3

My Cars
    BMW E36 M3
    Ok,
    Looks like I'm going to need some help from my friend at BMW.
    If you have a look at the attached table this is what I've got so far.

So do I need another wiring harness? One meant for that mirror?

Also, Why does my current, non electric mirror have wires going to it in the first place? Keyless entry?

I've got the e36 etm and a 1 page from a e90 electrochromic mirror etm (attached).

This stuff does my head in...should it be easy?

Oh, and the pin colour mapping are here in case you care:

Wire LegendBLblueBRbrownGEyellowGNgreenGRgreyORorangeRSpinkRTredSWblackVIvioletWSwhiteTRTransparent
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Cataldo; 11-19-2009 at 06:47 AM.

My Cars
    6.5 second 69 Camaro
    Fwiw,
    I also done this same Mod a little over 3 years ago, It is a sweet Mod especially if you have a aftermarket alarm, The Clown nose can't be over looked! I had to wire from scratch and made my own harness with a BMW 10 pin Plug, I installed 6 pins but only use 5 wires, My wiring went:
    #1 + Reverse, I wired it from the reverse light in the ceter console
    #3 for + Switched Ignition,
    #8 for Pos Alarm Led,
    #9 for Neg Alarm Led
    #10 For Ground, I have the Compass Homelink, All still works well

***Great write up by the way.***

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0
    Quote Originally Posted by 8eights View Post
    Fwiw,
    I also done this same Mod a little over 3 years ago, It is a sweet Mod especially if you have a aftermarket alarm, The Clown nose can't be over looked! I had to wire from scratch and made my own harness with a BMW 10 pin Plug, I installed 6 pins but only use 5 wires, My wiring went:
    #1 + Reverse, I wired it from the reverse light in the ceter console
    #3 for + Switched Ignition,
    #8 for Pos Alarm Led,
    #9 for Neg Alarm Led
    #10 For Ground, I have the Compass Homelink, All still works well

***Great write up by the way.***
    I love the clown nose as well, but have noticed that it isnt as bright as it is on the cars that have it OEM. I am using the OEM Apine alarm. Dont know if it sends less than 12v. Can anybody else confirm?
    Sean D

08 Cadillac CTS
    06 Toyota Prius

RIP Little Brother 12/09/80 - 09/07/06
    98 ///M3 RIP
    06 Escalade RIP

My Cars
    318ti, 330ti, 911S, Honda Element
    Quote Originally Posted by RRSperry View Post
    Yes the Rover mirror is the same.

I really want to get around to wiring the reverse light to the mirror. It's a pain backing up in parking lots at night, what with tinted windows, and a dimmed mirror...
    From what I can tell from pictures, the mirror itself looks identical, but can anyone confirm that the rover mirror will attach to the BMW glass mount. The mount on the mirror arms don't look the same.
    '95 330ti Club Sport w/sun roof delete, S50USB30, Schricks, 24# inj, BBTB, Conforti SW, Euro HFM, Samco Silicone Intake Boot, Euro oil cooler, JTD Cold Air Intake Duct, RE DMS exhaust, RE Tranny mounts, CF Valve Cover, LTW flywheel/Kevlar sprung hub clutch, RE SSK, 3.46 Finned LSD (M6) , M3 tranny, Brembos, RE Wheel Studs, SS brake/clutch lines, CF interior, Tilt Steering retrofit, 13.5 lb DynaBatt in rear, LED interior/footwell lights, 4500K ZKW HID, Headlight Aim Control, Rear fog light w/cluster indicator, BMW Traffic Pro/Alpine MP3-CD Changer, Staggered LTW wheels, '95 M3 steering rack, VIS CF Hood, M3 LTW Strut Bar, Aluminum M3 Coilover Front/M Coupe Rear suspension, Red LTW Motorsport Seatbelts, OEM Fire Extinguisher, Z8 Starter button, Auto dim rear view mirror w/Homelink, PDC, Rear Sun Shade, Euro Gauge Cluster w/oil temp/shift light , Headlight Washers, BMW MS Door Handles, CF Grills, French ZKW Fogs, Bimmer Mag 8/2007

My Cars
    BMW E36 M3
    Can anyone confirm if the euro spec cars have the rf receiver for the central locking/alarm via the mirror? When I put my mirror on I get all the functionality but don't have keyless entry.

My Cars
    330D MSport
    Quote Originally Posted by themadrussian View Post
    I would check US eBay - I doubt you'll find them for cheap anywhere else.
    Hi Themadrussian

I took your advice and have been looking for a homelink link mirror from the USA via ebay, I've come across a few but I might have come across a possible issue.

I spoke to my local dealer and his told me that the my mirror in my E91 also controls the Central locking. Firstly is this true ????

If so my central locking is 868Mhz (The back of my key fob it tells me the frequency), I've been told that the USA works on 315Mhz, Is this true ???

I also have key-less entry like Cataldo, will this be effected ???

Do the USA only work on 315Mhz or do the newer cars have 868Mhz ??? (Cataldo, this might be why your Key-less entry doesn't work)

Kind Regards

Chris

My Cars
    528i C36,ML55,C240 C230k

Autodim & clown nose no homelink

Great write up will install a rearview mirror on my 318ti and avail of the autodim and clown nose feature (obd2 alarm equipt) unfourtunatly I only have a pigtail the plug was stuck perhaps a wire label via colors will be helpful for me so I use this mirror that been sitting in my garage. Thanks all.

My Cars
    '99.5 Audi A4 2.8
    Would anybody happen to know a possible pin-out of a regular, visor mounted homelink unit? I found one at a junkyard and it has 3 connections. I'm pretty sure they're all the same electronically because they're all made by the same company for the same application.

My Cars
    BMW E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluff View Post
    Hi Themadrussian

I also have key-less entry like Cataldo, will this be effected ???

Do the USA only work on 315Mhz or do the newer cars have 868Mhz ??? (Cataldo, this might be why your Key-less entry doesn't work)

Kind Regards

Chris
    I can't remember which MHz we run on here but this my mirror is definately for australia because I bought it from the BMW dealer here...at a bit of a standstill now with this mod... Let me know how you go.

My Cars
    95 325 I Convertible
    I got mine from Ebay, $100.00 only had three wires. No clown nose, had homelink (3 buttons ) Autodimming and Compass.. I just tapped into the sunroof wiring and it works perfectly. As you get older you will appreciate the autodim feature.

My Cars
    BMW E36 M3
    Well someone on here told me that the keyless entry goes via the mirror...and I'm pretty sure that's what BMW told me too. Mind disconnecting the mirror and see if the keyless works?

My Cars
    93 325iS
    Well someone on here told me that the keyless entry goes via the mirror...and I'm pretty sure that's what BMW told me too. Mind disconnecting the mirror and see if the keyless works?
    On an e36? That's a lie unless I'm reallly mistaken. The *antenna* is small and sits on top of the Alpine unit behind the glove box.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doonbugg View Post
    I got mine from Ebay, $100.00 only had three wires. No clown nose, had homelink (3 buttons ) Autodimming and Compass.. I just tapped into the sunroof wiring and it works perfectly. As you get older you will appreciate the autodim feature.
    Nice. I really want this. Yours is a Land Rover mirror, I assume?

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0
    For that price with the compass, it has to be a rover mirror, that & it doesnt have the clown nose.
    Sean D

08 Cadillac CTS
    06 Toyota Prius

RIP Little Brother 12/09/80 - 09/07/06
    98 ///M3 RIP
    06 Escalade RIP

My Cars
    BMW E36 M3
    I heard that's how it is on the euro spec models.
    I suppose it doesn't really make sense how my keyless stops working when I disconnect the mirror...

My Cars
    330D MSport
    Hi Cataldo

I disconnected the main cable to my mirror today and to my surprise both the central locking and key-less entry worked.

Mind you I didn't disconnect the auto lights or the auto wiper cable, so I'm not sure if they help the key-less entry ???

So I very confused now. So many people tell us different things

I have read somewhere that the central locking and the key-less entry is control via the boot lid ??? Not sure if that true ???

Hope this helps Cataldo

Fluff

My Cars
    BMW E36 M3
    Thanks mate...well like I said I heard on the euro spec they're like that but I heard for the us cars they're throught the back somewhere like the boot...

My Cars
    330D MSport
    Thanks mate...well like I said I heard on the euro spec they're like that but I heard for the us cars they're throught the back somewhere like the boot...
    Hi Cataldo

You've confused me with the first part of the above sentence. You where told that the euro cars key-less (comfort access) entry goes via the mirror. Well I've disconnected the main cable to my mirror and my comfort access works. So my comfort access doesn't go via my mirror.

Or I'm I missing something ????

Fluff

My Cars
    BMW E36 M3
    Yeah I meant that the euros have it thru the mirror and us through the back somewhere.

What type of car do you have and what year? I got a 99 318is sport

My Cars
    330D MSport
    Yeah I meant that the euros have it thru the mirror and us through the back somewhere.

What type of car do you have and what year? I got a 99 318is sport
    My car is an E91 330d M Sport, year late 2005. 30/12/05.

I live in the UK, So it's Euro car !!. As I said I've discounted my mirror and my central locking and my keyless entry work fine. So it can't get it's signal from the my mirror. It must be from somewhere else on the car.

Fluff

My Cars
    BMW E36 M3
    Ohhh...Well....I thought you had an e36...I know they've changed it in later models. Not surprised that your mirror doesn't handle the keyless...

My Cars
    330D MSport
    Ohhh...Well....I thought you had an e36...I know they've changed it in later models. Not surprised that your mirror doesn't handle the keyless...
    Sorry Cataldo

We must have got our wires crossed.

I know I've jumped in on the E36 thread, but I was hoping someone might have so info across the whole range of the 3 series.

Oh well. Good luck in getting your keyless entry sorted.

Fluff

My Cars
    '94 325is
    Has anyone tried to get a mirror with more functionality working in an E36? I picked up a Rover Discovery mirror that has compass and temperature as well as homelink and autodim. These features and others show up in BMW mirrors.

Compass I assume just runs off of the switched power, but temperature will need a sensor feed. Wondering if tapping the temperature feed to the OBD would work for the mirror, or if there is a wire harness similar to that listed that would provide the pigtails to tap...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast