Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: M42 to M50 swap

My Cars
    93 318is
    Update on the BMW. My guess was that the starter wasn't aligning with the flywheel so I rotated the crank some. Jumped the car again and got a bigger wire to jump the starter. After that I got it to crank. The key still doesn't work so Im guessing the starter relay is out. Anyone have an idea of where it is at? Ive been looking all over under the dash but I can't find ithttps://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/59128ee1...509_222525.mp4

Sent from my LG-K540 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    93 318is
    Ok so im at a loss here. Ive searched all over and I can't find this relay. Im to the point of where im tired of it just sitting here taking up space. Can I temporarily hot wire it so that I can at least see that all my hard work wasn't for nothing? Im moving soon and I don't want to tow it to my new house. Any suggestions before I sell it or part it out.

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Take a good clear pic of the fuse box under the hood. There's a couple relays just outside the box as well, make sure and get them in the photo. Let's see if we can find this puppy for you.

My Cars
    93 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by jakermac View Post
    Take a good clear pic of the fuse box under the hood. There's a couple relays just outside the box as well, make sure and get them in the photo. Let's see if we can find this puppy for you.
    The first pic is the fuse box under the hood. The others are different angles of the relays under the dash

My Cars
    93 318is
    Here is a better picture of those relays under the dash. Also, I ran my vin and it said the production date of my car was 1-10-92. Not sure if this effects where the relays would be or EWS

My Cars
    93 318is
    Well I guess I have let this thread die off a bit. I have come to the conclusion that both of the batteries I have tried are bad. Currently I have been in the process of buying a house so I havent really had the funds or time to work on it. In the last month about all I have done is put hood pins on it. Hopefully soon ill have a bigger garage with more time to work on it here in the near future. Here are some pictures of the hood pins, one is an 1/8in off and its driving me nuts so I might get a new hood, we will see.

My Cars
    93 318is
    Well bought a house, got settled in and finally got some time and money. Bought a brand new battery to try and boom it cranks over. Didnt have the throttle cable hooked up so I messed with that while my gf turned the key. Was stumbling some and didn't want to fire. I'm guessing I'm getting spark because of the back fire in the intake from the starting fluid. ANY help to get this thing started would be much appreciated. Thinking about trying my spare dme. Any ideas. Trying to post a video but it's not letting me

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    93 318is
    Small update, changed the dme and it tried to kick over but it just won't start. The gas in it is super old but I though it might start with some starting fluid. Should I drain the tank and put some 91 in?

My Cars
    93 318is
    Since it back fired from the intake I have had some people tell me the timing is off. How can I check to make sure the timing is correct

My Cars
    93 318is
    Beginning to think posting on this forum is pointless...Checked the timing and it was spot on. I bought a new crankshaft position sensor. I went to put it on today and the old one would not come out. I have soaked it with PB blast several times but that didn't make a difference I've tried tapping on it with a hammer and screw driver but it's just bending up the sensor. Does anyone have any ideas or tips that might help? Here are a few pics of the CPS .
    Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Last edited by Bimmerlife93; 09-10-2017 at 11:54 PM.

My Cars
    1993 325is
    You're going to have to cut the bottom of that bashed sensor off before it'll come through the hole. The hole is a very tight fit. Try wiggling the sensor around using the mounting plate on the top of the hole (the plate where the screw that holds it in goes through). Tapping back and forth with a screwdriver and a small hammer to try and break it free. I know there's not much room, but you don't have much choice short of taking the front end of the car off once again.

And to check the cam timing, you need the cam lock tools and follow the procedure detailed in the Beisan Vanos rebuild tech help:

http://www.beisansystems.com/procedu..._procedure.htm
    Last edited by jakermac; 09-12-2017 at 08:54 PM.

My Cars
    93 318is
    You're going to have to cut the bottom of that bashed sensor off before it'll come through the hole. The hole is a very tight fit. Try wiggling the sensor around using the mounting plate on the top of the hole (the plate where the screw that holds it in goes through). Tapping back and forth with a screwdriver and a small hammer to try and break it free. I know there's not much room, but you don't have much choice short of taking the front end of the car off once again.

And to check the cam timing, you need the cam lock tools and follow the procedure detailed in the Beisan Vanos rebuild tech help:

http://www.beisansystems.com/procedu..._procedure.htm
    Cut the sensor off and it ended up coming out. Any tips for getting the new one back in? It will only go about a quarter inch in

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Must be something up with the opening in the timing cover. Check to make sure there are no burrs or corrosion in the hole. You might have dinged the aluminum when you were trying to get the old sensor out.

My Cars
    93 318is
    I took my dremel and sanded the inside of the hole some and it slid right in. Got it all put back together again and it won't crank over. I put it on the battery charger then came back when it was at 95% according to the charger and I still won't crank. Just like it was doing before I put the new battery in. I'm clueless. I don't think a brand new battery would have gone bad that quickly. Everything inside the car powers on and works as it should, it just doesn't crank

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Won't crank (as in starter doesn't turn over the motor) or won't fire?

I just re-read a few things you posted before. You said it backfired. That has happened to me a few times in the past, and what ends up happening is that the big turkey neck fitting (idle control valve hose fitting) that goes into the intake manifold inside/under the throttle body gets blow out of the manifold which creates a massive vacuum leak. Just reach under the IM and push it back in and chances are things will be good. I certainly hope it's that simple for you. I know you've been struggling!
    Last edited by jakermac; 09-16-2017 at 12:29 AM.

My Cars
    93 318is
    Won't crank (as in starter doesn't turn over the motor) or won't fire?

I just re-read a few things you posted before. You said it backfired. That has happened to me a few times in the past, and what ends up happening is that the big turkey neck fitting (idle control valve hose fitting) that goes into the intake manifold inside/under the throttle body gets blow out of the manifold which creates a massive vacuum leak. Just reach under the IM and push it back in and chances are things will be good. I certainly hope it's that simple for you. I know you've been struggling!
    The starter won't turn over now but that makes sense. I haven't checked that yet. I'm off Sunday, I will check that and then I'm going to jump the starter to verify that I didn't burn it out trying to get it to start before. Thanks for all your help man. I'd be clueless without it.

My Cars
    93 318is
    So I hooked up the battery today and checked to see that I was getting power up front. I was getting 12.4 at the terminal in the engine bay. I decided to jump in the car and give it a try. To my surprise it cranked over but didn't start. I didn't crank it too long because I didn't want to burn up the starter. When I hook my battery up the hazards come on (which I assume is normal). I checked up front and neither of my blinkers we're working. Starting to think I have a wiring issue. Hopefully the harness isn't trash. Going to work on it some more tonight and see if I can find anything wrong.

My Cars
    93 bmw 318is
    yo bro I cant find this adapter any chance you can help me with a link?

- - - Updated - - -

The 6cyl M50 (92-95, non-M) trans and the 4cyl trans are the exact same trans and mount in the exact same place. The 6cyl diff comes forward "about" 2" (It's about 2" longer) more than the 4 cyl diff. I got the adapter about 2 years ago from ebay for $125. You can have it for $50 shipped if you're interested.

Jacques

yo I cant find the adapter you think you can help me with the link?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345