eBMWParts
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: My Raceland Coilovers Thread. Helpfull info inside.

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester
    Quote Originally Posted by shidifen View Post
    Well, that would be the obvious answer but as you move the perch up aren't you compressing the springs? I am not familiar with coil over suspensions so I don't know what effect this would have on the suspension. If the perch is raised too high can it effect the operation of the strut?
    Yes, you are compressing the helper spring, so the higher you go, the stiffer it will be, but it's not that great of a difference (50lb/in tops from completely compressed to completely free). Anyway, the only problem if you go to the very top is you extend the shock as far as it goes, so if you go into a dip, you have no travel left so you just kinda "fall in", therefore, even though you can theoretically go all the way to the top, I would leave close to half an inch if at all possible so that you still have at least some travel left.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325i
    Thanks for the info! I really appreciate it!!
    shidifen
    1994 325i

My Cars
    '95 E36
    Quote Originally Posted by slocar View Post
    if you go to the very top is you extend the shock as far as it goes, so if you go into a dip, you have no travel left
    Having not used them, yet I find that a bit hard to belive. Can someone else confirm that on the higher position the shock has no more rebound travel left? If so, they REALLY suck.
    '95 E36 318tdS:
    Bilstein Sport shocks; x-brace; H&R front sway bar; camber shims; M3 offset LCABs; Meyle HD LCAs; Z3 RSM reinforcement plates; ZHP shift knob.

My Cars
    are a waste of money
    Really? You mean if you slam your ride too low there isn't any travel left?

Strut (housing) and shock design lengths for these car is critical because of just that, lack of travel. Just another reason (which I already knew) RL sucks.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent 930 View Post
    Really? You mean if you slam your ride too low there isn't any travel left?

Strut (housing) and shock design lengths for these car is critical because of just that, lack of travel. Just another reason (which I already knew) RL sucks.
    I think you missed the original question. It wasn't how far down you could lower the suspension but how far you could raise it. A buddy of mine bought the Racelands but he doesn't want to slam his car. I was trying to find out what the maximum ride height setting was on the coilovers.

My question was regarding raising the spring perches too high and how that could effect strut performance. I don't know much about coilovers but I guess it could be problem on any brand coilovers. There must be a recommended range of operation. Just don't know what that it.
    shidifen
    1994 325i

My Cars
    are a waste of money
    ^I wasn't talking to you.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325i
    Fair enough.

But my question still stands. Obviously lowering a suspension (coilover) can have dramatic effects on strut performance, particularly if its lowered too far. Can raising a suspension to its maximum height effect the performance of the strut? Any thoughts?
    shidifen
    1994 325i

My Cars
    '95 E36
    Learn how to quote?
    '95 E36 318tdS:
    Bilstein Sport shocks; x-brace; H&R front sway bar; camber shims; M3 offset LCABs; Meyle HD LCAs; Z3 RSM reinforcement plates; ZHP shift knob.

My Cars
    03' 325i S/P
    15,000 miles and winter conditions and my Racelands are still working great. I fell more in love with them after about 5k and broke in. I honestly hardly ever bottom out or rub fender unless I'm going in and out of a gas station and some train tracks rub a bit, but they have to be pretty shotty.

And,.. the rice burner..

But the fun only lasted so long...

Last edited by 325iSport; 02-08-2011 at 10:51 AM.

o==|//////|= static

My Cars
    2011 E92 M3, 2007 335i
    That's what the shovel is for that is sitting next to the rice burner.
    Now in E92 M3 ZCP -- Absolute beast

My Cars
    03' 325i S/P
    Its very thick ice. You can't break it with a shovel. The car was covered in a solic sheet of ice, but the sun has melted it down off the windows and doors. Before we got the last inch or so, you could drive right over the ice in a yard and not break the ice or anything, you wounldn't leave any tracks.

You live in Illinois actually not to far from here couple hours, are things mostly cleaned up here? Things are still pretty much a mess around here, granted I live in rural indiana, corn and small towns is that thats around here

o==|//////|= static

My Cars
    E36 / E46
    these coilovers dump like crazy.

My Cars
    03' 325i S/P
    damn straight they do!

o==|//////|= static

My Cars
    2011 E92 M3, 2007 335i
    Quote Originally Posted by 325iSport View Post
    Its very thick ice. You can't break it with a shovel. The car was covered in a solic sheet of ice, but the sun has melted it down off the windows and doors. Before we got the last inch or so, you could drive right over the ice in a yard and not break the ice or anything, you wounldn't leave any tracks.

You live in Illinois actually not to far from here couple hours, are things mostly cleaned up here? Things are still pretty much a mess around here, granted I live in rural indiana, corn and small towns is that thats around here
    The frozen tundra has nothing on us right now. Streets are passable but there is a hard layer pack of 12-15" out there with drifted areas of 3'. It's been a pretty harsh winter and I'm seriously ready for spring.

My Cars
    1995 m3
    question about the rear mounts. can the rouge rear mounts be used with the racelands? the rouge rear mounts come with 10mm washers and go up to 12mm but the raceland rear shock shaft is 14mm.

My Cars
    08-X5|01-M3|03-A4
    guys, noticed a problem the other day when looking at something under the car (car just sitting normally, not jacked or raised in any way).

rear springs were FULLY compressed!

now, i'm wondering if it was always like this since i installed these raceland c-overs... (as some say, rears springs are too soft) and since i don't drive the vert much and typically anytime i look under the car is when the wheels are off the ground this wouldn't be something i notice. did look at the shocks and they look ok (visually), not leaking, so i don't think they're blown, plus it doesn't feel like it when i drive it.

in any case, did anyone else notice the same with their racelands?

oh and stance seems the same, as when i first installed them. not any lower so i can only assume its been like that since day 1....

here's the stance

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
    2001 BMW M3 Conv: New project.
    1998-BMW-323iC: Sold
    2003-Audi-A4: Unitronic tuned, gt3076 on meth.
    2008-BMW-X5: Supercharged with 2 baby seats.

My Cars
    03' 325i S/P
    They probably still have some give just very very little. how does it ride?

o==|//////|= static

My Cars
    08-X5|01-M3|03-A4
    i think they do up on top, but definitely very little. they ride... like racelands lol. not that i had a great ride from the beginning, but certainy beats my old blown suspension!
    \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
    2001 BMW M3 Conv: New project.
    1998-BMW-323iC: Sold
    2003-Audi-A4: Unitronic tuned, gt3076 on meth.
    2008-BMW-X5: Supercharged with 2 baby seats.

My Cars
    2009 528xi 1995 318i
    Not trying to Hijack your thread, but has or does anyone run the Vogtland Junior Cup kit? only $100 more than the racelands.
    http://www.ultrarev.com/960038-vl.html
    Last edited by Justin318i; 02-16-2011 at 09:30 PM.

My Cars
    2011 E92 M3, 2007 335i
    Quote Originally Posted by azmp1 View Post
    i think they do up on top, but definitely very little. they ride... like racelands lol. not that i had a great ride from the beginning, but certainy beats my old blown suspension!
    priceless

My Cars
    a car not on racelands
    This thread reminds me of a bunch of kids, wearing their sisters jeans and their funny poka-dot flat brimmed hats with argile t-shirts that spent all their money on a high mileage bimmer and now can only afford raceland coilovers.

I thought I would never see the day when a group of people accually rip out a good handling suspension just to replace it with a stiff bag of dicks.

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester
    Quote Originally Posted by racelandsucks View Post
    This thread reminds me of a bunch of kids, wearing their sisters jeans and their funny poka-dot flat brimmed hats with argile t-shirts that spent all their money on a high mileage bimmer and now can only afford raceland coilovers.

I thought I would never see the day when a group of people accually rip out a good handling suspension just to replace it with a stiff bag of dicks.

You sound so butthurt over it, it's like you replaced your chair with one.

My Cars
    a car not on racelands
    Quote Originally Posted by slocar View Post
    You sound so butthurt over it, it's like you replaced your chair with one.
    I would have, but you guys have them all stuck in your cars

My Cars
    96 328i boston green
    well im getting raceland very shortly. now i have a 318is i was told i didnt have to change anything but the coilovers.
    no swaybar links or nothing like that . im running 17in contours offset
    7.5 fronts 8.5 rears not going to completly slam it but. least 2in front 1.5 back.
    anyone for see any problems with that setup .mine is a dd also so id like to know what im diggin into before hand
    thanks for the help

o and the tire size is 225/45/17 all the way around
    Last edited by bimmerrob10; 02-21-2011 at 10:24 PM.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330i
    Sorry to post on this thread super late, but I just installed a set of racelands and had a question about them. I have my coils completely dropped. The front sit perfectly, but the backs don't seem to drop low enough. In the pictures you posted, the rears look a lot lower then mine. What did you do to make them sit so low?
    -thanks

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast