Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: E46 FD build

My Cars
    95 M3, 04 Z4
    didn't get much done in the last couple weeks on the car. Been busy with customer cars at the shop. I did get the dash fit, pedal box made and steering column mocked up tho...

Quote Originally Posted by fishtail View Post
    Mike I'm a big fan, I'm super excited to see this car next year in ATL!

And not to threadjack, I just figured I'd pick your brain on this matter.

I have an issue with my e36 being extremely twitchy while drifting, like it will only transfer smoothly if I stay flatfoot pretty much at all times. Do you have any ideas on how I can set my car up to slow down my transfers? (in otherwords, I actually want to be able to pedal off)
    Hmmm, what is your set up, tires/size, suspension, sways etc...?
    Last edited by Michaelessa; 01-02-2013 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

SLR is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '08 E46, E36,
    Quote Originally Posted by fishtail View Post
    Mike I'm a big fan, I'm super excited to see this car next year in ATL!

And not to threadjack, I just figured I'd pick your brain on this matter.

I have an issue with my e36 being extremely twitchy while drifting, like it will only transfer smoothly if I stay flatfoot pretty much at all times. Do you have any ideas on how I can set my car up to slow down my transfers? (in otherwords, I actually want to be able to pedal off)
    See new thread I started.
    Last edited by SLR; 01-06-2013 at 06:52 AM.

My Cars
    Dicktone Limo
    tl;dr

go drive more

My Cars
    95 325is.
    Soo SLR for rear spring what's your recommendation?

My Cars
    Dicktone Limo
    with low power and just learning the ropes, start out stiff. When you add power, tire, and angle, go softer.

mike has a bajillion horsepower and he runs 890lb/in out back which is 16kg/mm.

My Cars
    95 325is.
    i ask because i used to run like 16k rear and was ok but to stiff, you can slide the car more easily and if you let go the gas it will keep side ways but not much traction and less smoke.

recently i have changed to 9k and the grip is great and the smoke two, BUT the car squats and tries to get straight soo no bueno (for me) maybe with more power but im still m5x with mods (for now) what maybe! 200hp, going for some 12k (672lbs) or something in between to balance things up.

My Cars
    Slow e36
    you know you wanna come out to the 626 event on the 12th and give me a ride

My Cars
    E36
    Quote Originally Posted by SLR View Post

The problem is made even worse by cheap coilover companies not knowing ANYTHING about the platform and offering spring rate combos like 8kg/6kg or 8kg/8kg. The rear spring location on E30/E36/E46 means you need a much HIGHER rear rate than front in order to have a balanced feeling car, and it scares me to think these cheap suspension companies are likely valving their shocks inappropriately also considering the shock location.

-Sean
    Who uses those rates? The only time i've seen anyone use an even spring rate is this e30. A few people have ordered 12/10k from me for e36 recently but i've never seen a company offer it that way.

In any case, i agree about the rear needing higher rates unless you go for a full coilover conversion
    Last edited by Jaze; 01-03-2013 at 10:54 PM.

My Cars
    e46 m3 / turbo brick
    that car is bonkers and your driving is pretty top shelf as well. Sub'd

My Cars
    1998 328is Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Nisanda View Post
    i ask because i used to run like 16k rear and was ok but to stiff, you can slide the car more easily and if you let go the gas it will keep side ways but not much traction and less smoke.

recently i have changed to 9k and the grip is great and the smoke two, BUT the car squats and tries to get straight soo no bueno (for me) maybe with more power but im still m5x with mods (for now) what maybe! 200hp, going for some 12k (672lbs) or something in between to balance things up.

I just ordered my BC's with 10k fronts and 12k rears. What company did you find 16k rears with? I bought the stiffest set I could find.

'98 328 S/C'd Driftorito

My Cars
    E36
    Quote Originally Posted by SLR View Post
    https://www.google.com/search?q=e36+...ient=firefox-a

Some company I saw a couple years ago was selling 8kg/6kg also. Apparently some "engineers" don't understand "motion ratio" lol.

12/10 is really whack on an E36, or did you mean 10/12? Explain to people that the rear motion ratio is barely HALF of the front, so generally they need at least 30% stiffer in the rear. Look at PSS9's (very balanced setup) 460lb front, 680lb rear
    I explained that exactly how you've typed it, it's a simple concept really but they said that they liked the rear grip. I suspect one random guy said it was awesome and it made it's way through the grapevine. All were from california too.

I've never tried such a high difference in rates in the rear, i like to go with a good 100 some odd pound difference or 2k.

Quote Originally Posted by tairyhesticles View Post
    I just ordered my BC's with 10k fronts and 12k rears. What company did you find 16k rears with? I bought the stiffest set I could find.
    My most popular set up is 15/16-17k or 16/18k. You just weren't looking hard enough google the name in my sig. I don't use those specs for drift though, those are for a stance set up.

My Cars
    96 M3
    My BC's are 10k/14k and revalved.

My Cars
    95 325is.
    Quote Originally Posted by tairyhesticles View Post
    I run a shock spring setup not a full coilover, bought them of Ebay Hiper coilover spring (900lbs) so maybe 16k?, they are 2.25" inside diameter, so they fit the center hump on the spring base, i trimmed for height cut just like half turn almost nothing just to make it flush.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hyperco-Coil-Over-Spring-2-5-ID-6in-900lbs-HYP186B0900-/380535806522?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories &hash=item5899b39a3a&vxp=mtr

NOte: i bought them of graigslist for 70dlls used for the pair but are the same as the link, worked great! going for 12k now.

SLR is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '08 E46, E36,
    Quote Originally Posted by Nisanda View Post
    Soo SLR for rear spring what's your recommendation?

Missed this earlier, and I feel like I totally hijacked Mikes thread here, so I'm gonna start a new topic and answer there, deleting my posts here.

My Cars
    E30 325
    subscribed

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Beautiful cage/fab work. Q: Any reason you opted for your pedal assembly instead of a floor mounted pedal box?

My Cars
    1993 325i
    awesome car, awesome drift skills, awesome thread.. subscribed!

My Cars
    95 M3, 04 Z4
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyalBlau View Post
    Beautiful cage/fab work. Q: Any reason you opted for your pedal assembly instead of a floor mounted pedal box?
    I like the feel of hung pedals, even tho i drive early Porsche's quite often with floor mount set ups, i just feel more comfortable with that style. Floor mount is easier to mount in most cars, but with the cage the way it is, its not a big deal to hang the pedals.

My Cars
    95 M3, 04 Z4
    Update!
    chopped off the front of the frame rails to make room for our bash bar. Finished up the steering shaft mods

made a floor board and cut the steering shaft to length

chopped out the trunk area

its starting to come together!

My Cars
    88E30
    WOOHOO!! thanks for posting, its so sick to see it all come together.

My Cars
    1993 325i
    looking better and better

My Cars
    BMW e30m50
    Jeezus.. O_0

My Cars
    1994 BMW 318i
    subbed.
    Dont know if you mentioned it already but what are your plans for the roof? fiberglass, carbon fiber, etc?
    I know its unpractical in a street setting but in a racing setting could you leave it completely open? It would be just like a convertible right.

My Cars
    96 M3
    Looking good! I have some new ideas

My Cars
    1987 328i (track car)
    Quote Originally Posted by Michaelessa View Post
    didn't get much done in the last couple weeks on the car. Been busy with customer cars at the shop. I did get the dash fit, pedal box made and steering column mocked up tho...

Hmmm, what is your set up, tires/size, suspension, sways etc...?
    235/40/17 front, 225/40/17 rear, megan euro street coils 7k/F 9k/R, -2 degrees camber front(max on coilover) 6 degrees of caster front, oem sway bars, welded diff, all stock control arms in rear....

Btw car is coming together awesomely, I'm starting a similar build except with a 2jz.
    Speed>Elegance

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast